• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game of Thrones map: Event ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello Hive! I'm working on a Game of Thrones strategy/risk map. Basically you train units and capture settlements to gain income. It's similar to Lords of Europe. But unlike typical Risk maps, battles don't mean everything. Players are forced to distribute their resources among 4 aspects: politics, warfare, intrigue and learning.

Now here's what I'm currently working on: There are some events happening randomly throughout the time. Global and regional events. Global events effect everyone at the same time. For example "Greyscale Epidemic" is a global effect. It lasts for 5 minutes and causes all settlements to take damage over time and also prevents them from attacking nearby enemies. So it's a good time to capture some enemy settlements. But if you are invested in the "learning" field your settlements will take much less damage. (Because your maesters prevent the diseases from spreading among people) If you are more focused on the learning field you might even avoid getting your settlements disarmed.

Another example would be "Lesser House Rebellion" which is a regional event. There is a random chance for one of your settlements to start spawning hostile units to attack the settlement. Settlement stops spawning units when there is no more hostile units left in the map. So if you act early you can stop the rebellion immediately. If you are invested in the "intrigue" field you'll get a warning before the rebellion starts. (Because you have spies in their court) So you can send your troops there, kill the first spawning units to crush the rebellion as soon as it starts.

For people who never watched or read it, Westeros is very similiar to Medieval England with the addition of minimal magic. So I'm looking for some event ideas that fit into this setting. As I mentioned they should be based on one of the 4 aspects (Politics, warfare, intrigue and learning). Also, if you are interested in Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire lore I would love to hear your ideas about presenting the lore in game. Any idea is much appreciated :)

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I have not read books and only watched each episode once so my knowledge is not that deep.

But an obvious event would be the white walkers invading through the north.
Another event could be when Khalesi (I think I am one character away from spelling it correctly) can't control her dragon(s) and they go on a rampage. Regional event.

Lorewise, grayscale were really never epidemic by nature, but anyway.

Near the wall there should be regional events called "Wildling raiders", and the same for "Essos" there should likewise be "Dothraki Raiders".

The "Brotherhood Without Banners" should raid random stuff depending on your allegiance on Westeros.

If the "Iron Islands" isn't a playable fraction, they should raid coastal regions.

During winter, there should spawn "Wights" now and again.

"The Sparrows" should spawn as hostile mobs if you choose the wrong decisions and religion. (Allow them to get a fighting force like in the books)

Houses should fight each other all the time.

Will post again If i get more ideas.

Level 3
Another event could be when Khalesi (I think I am one character away from spelling it correctly) can't control her dragon(s) and they go on a rampage. Regional event.

Now this is an out of box idea, I really like it. I wasn't planning on bringing Daenerys but bringing one dragon through a event could be lots of fun. And it's logical since she can't really control them. Maybe a very rare event. (btw it is indeed one letter off. "Khaleesi" is the correct spelling and it's actually a title, which means Queen in Dothraki, her actual name is Daenerys.) Thanks for ideas and hope to hear more! :)

Lorewise, grayscale were really never epidemic by nature

Check this out: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Grey_plague
It's not exactly greyscale, but a more contagious version of it.

Wildlings, wights and Brotherhood can be interesting Warfare based events. Arming Sparrows or losing control of them is a nice idea. Maybe Night's Watch and Sparrows can be neutral forces that you can support. For example Starks should support Night's Watch or be ready for war when "Wildling Invasion" event occurs. And "Brotherhood without Banners" events would happen more likely to players who fight a lot.

If the "Iron Islands" isn't a playable fraction, they should raid coastal regions.
For now, all 8 Great Houses from beginning of AGOT are playable. But Greyjoy starting location and unique units already encourages coastal raiding playstyle. Maybe Lysene Pirates (such as Saladhor Saan) would be a neutral replacement for it. Thanks for your ideas and I'm looking forward to hear more! :)

I hope map will be good. :D
Thanks man, I'm doing my best :)

Level 3
Very nice idea. It would be lovely to make weather based regional events. But I read somewhere in this forum that rain/snowfall causes so much lag. Do you know how true it is? Would a snowing region (let's say 40x40) cause map to lag in multiplayer?

Level 3
Creep colored white? I'm not sure I understood that properly, do you suggest me to use small white units instead of snow? Would that reduce the lag?

So when you think first beta will be uploaded?

I can't really predict a time remaining because I've never made a map before. I don't want to do it half-assed. So whenever it's ready :)

Level 3
The SC2 map uses Zerg creep tinted white to represent snow, allowing it to go forward and back and give buffs to units standing on it.

In WIII, you can use triggers to change terrain tiles, check what kind of terrain a unit is standing on, and give them buffs.

Hmm I made the shores with standard cliffs so that could look bad on my map. I'll try and see how it looks. Thanks for advice!

Level 8
You may the "Winter" as a global event. Wights/White Walkers deals more damage, units of yours cost more food. As a regional one: Peasants may stand up against their lords...

Level 6
Is there story progression in the game ? like according to the books/tv series, or does it all happen simultaneously ?

About the ideas, maybe make King's landing a neutral force (or winning objective of the game aside from destroying/controlling the other houses) in which different events happen in certain timelines into the game (Ned Stark's execution, which weakens the northern army).

Status
Not open for further replies.