• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Game Night's Map Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title3.png

The Next Custom Game Night's at 6:00 pm UTC on Saturday, August 11th, 2018!

So get your maps ready for The Night!

info2.png

Welcome to the Game Night's Map Contest! Have you heard of The Custom Game Night which is hosted by Selaya?
Maybe you have heard it and you have attended the Game Night even.
This contest is directly linked to it and wants you to create a map to play in The Custom Game Night.

Requ2.png

Your map needs to have atleast 14 playable slotsThere are more than 12 players who joins The Game Night therefore needing 14+ players game.
Maximum 45 minutes.In the Game Night we prefer playing more maps therefore needing the map to be short one.
Needs to be funWhy make a map where everyone will get bored?
Needs to be intuitive to play.It should not take ages to learn it.
It should contain the given theme/intented case Having a theme or a requirement spices up the Contest which we all don't deserve but we need.
Finished.The game should be in the spreadsheet before atleast 1 hour to The Game Night.
The map doesn't need to be high quality, just needs to be enjoyable!
Theme3.png

IV. Map Contest 29/07-11/08/2018

III. Map Contest 14/07-28/07/2018

II. Map Contest 30/06-14/07/2018

I. Map Contest 16-30/06/2018

Evolve: Choose a melee map and turn it to 14+ players non-melee map but do not change the terrain drastically!

It's Not The Size That Matters: Create a 32x288 map sized map!

Cleaning The Dust: Choose a map which is over 14 years old then make it at least 14 players and bug-free!
Here is Cokemonkey11's Archive. Choose a map from there.

No theme for this week!

StartandDue.png

IV. Map Contest contest shall begin on 29.07.2018 and end at 5.00 PM UTC on 11.08.2018.

Archive.png

v1.00 Post has been created.
v1.01 Changed "challenge" to "contest".
v1.02 Fixed a typo that nobody saw.
v1.03 Added new labers.
v1.04 Reduced the required players.

Last edited:
Level 7
The last incarnation of the Game Night (WaterKnight's Funmap Evening) featured 24h flash challenges.
So yes, the point is to create something of small to medium size that's good for 15-40 minutes of fun.

Last edited:
Level 6
Will this contest be repeated more frequently so will there be later maybe themes plus theme pool coming up aswell and a more set frame, 2week / 48h challange?
Liked the old inwarcraft custom map challanges by Waternight who got later on moved here to hive, so hope this will established again.

Will this contest be repeated more frequently so will there be later maybe themes plus theme pool coming up as well and a more set frame, 2week / 48h challenge?
Liked the old in warcraft custom map challenges by Waternight who got, later on, moved here to hive, so hope this will established again.

The contest will be repeated according to the Game Night. The theme will be discussed after this week's contest.
Normally this contest is planned for 14 days but because of posting this fresh this weeks contest is shorter than the usual.
Maybe we can make an exception and make a 48-hour challenge but that will happen rarely.

Level 7
I wouldn't have a chance to play unfortunately but I highly recommend you to give a go at my Witcher Multiplayer Online Battle Arena map for your game night:

The Witcher MOBA v.1.0.3

The map is fully playable and tested by our little Polish W3 modding community set up for up to 20 players and takes roughly around 45 minutes to play max (depending on players cooperation), lots of events, items, custom models and textures! Feel free to give it a go ;).
I would very much appreciate if you could even give me some feedback after the game night.

Level 19
I wouldn't have a chance to play unfortunately but I highly recommend you to give a go at my Witcher Multiplayer Online Battle Arena map for your game night:

The Witcher MOBA v.1.0.3

The map is fully playable and tested by our little Polish W3 modding community set up for up to 20 players and takes roughly around 45 minutes to play max (depending on players cooperation), lots of events, items, custom models and textures! Feel free to give it a go ;).
I would very much appreciate if you could even give me some feedback after the game night.

this is not the right place to suggest maps for the event.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Yes, I would like to hear your theme suggestion ^^

So, I have an archive containing over 400 wc3 maps, all made over 15 years ago

The theme is: pick a map from these at random, fix any regressions so it works in 1.29, make it playable for 20+ players, and use your remaining time to add some secret sauce to make the game fun for the fun night

that's it!

The theme
1. What did you use when you created them? Wurst, GUI, Jass, vJass? Because if it's non-Gui most of the people will not understand because they use GUI as you can see from this poll.
2. Even if it's GUI fixing is not that enjoyable.
3. When they have fixed it and made it 20+ will the map become theirs, yours or both?

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
> What did you use when you created them? Wurst, GUI, Jass, vJass? Because if it's non-Gui most of the people will not understand because they use GUI as you can see from this poll.

They're not made by me. They're over 15 years old - they're likely to have no triggers or scripts at all.

> Even if it's GUI fixing is not that enjoyable.

There should be very few regressions. The fun part is adding some spice to the map.

> When they have fixed it and made it 20+ will the map become theirs, yours or both?

Who cares? wc3 maps aren't anyone's intellectual property. It's a *very short* (only ~30 hours remaining) contest, no?

Level 7
I think this incarnation of the Game Night's Mapmaking challenge is supposed to have a more relaxed timeframe (rip 24h challenges); for the time being anyways.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Normally @Paillan records the night but he didn't yesterday, unfortunately.
Yes, we played it for two rounds. Because of the hiding Blademaster the round 2 got long and people who were dead got bored._.

Shame, hopefully next time.

Blademaster is such a dick. I guess you guys noticed that the arena gets smaller? Maybe 2 minutes is too long and it should get smaller sooner.

I will add a note to deal with blademaster if I ever work on the map again.

Shame to hear about only 11 players showing up, too. Maybe try a different day? I easily got 12 players in a public lobby last week to test that map.

Level 13
This looks fun. I have lots of time for the next few days so could put something together very quickly? Remaking maps is one of my favorite activities so I'd hate to skip such an opportunity!

Does it have to be from Cokemonkey's archive? There's loads of maps on here and EpicWar which are 14+ years old and ones which I'd quite fancy remaking (most of the ones in the archive i don't actually recognize :p). There is the dilemma of some of these being remade/modded already but IMO it is always fun to try and remake old concepts again and see if you produce something good (like i did with orc gladiators).

I've randomly rolled "PicNic3.w3m" as my starting template.
I don't know how you are going to make that meme cinematic map playable, good luck though ._.

This looks fun. I have lots of time for the next few days so could put something together very quickly? Remaking maps is one of my favorite activities so I'd hate to skip such an opportunity!

Does it have to be from Cokemonkey's archive? There's loads of maps on here and EpicWar which are 14+ years old and ones which I'd quite fancy remaking (most of the ones in the archive i don't actually recognize :p). There is the dilemma of some of these being remade/modded already but IMO it is always fun to try and remake old concepts again and see if you produce something good (like i did with orc gladiators).

No, it doesn't need it to be from The Archive but as you said it should be at least 12 years old ^^

Last edited:
Level 13
New theme already? I feel like 96x96 is a pretty ordinary size for making a quick mini-game!

Would other dimensions equal to the area of 96x96 be acceptable? i.e. the most extreme case is 32x288 (which is = 96x96 in terms of area). I think there could be some cool concepts that would benefit from a long but narrow map, and such map shapes are quite uncommon.

New theme already? I feel like 96x96 is a pretty ordinary size for making a quick mini-game!

Would other dimensions equal to the area of 96x96 be acceptable? i.e. the most extreme case is 32x288 (which is = 96x96 in terms of area). I think there could be some cool concepts that would benefit from a long but narrow map, and such map shapes are quite uncommon.

Oh yes, it is acceptable.

I thought of 64x64 but it felt too small to create anything._.

Status
Not open for further replies.