• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gaias 1.2 ... and yes, I'm not joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
You know, I have not been this anticipative* for an update since I saw the WotLK trailer. Me and some friends are leveling up new characters in preparation :grin:

But anyways, seeing so much progress in the last days has really set the community in motion. It may not always be the right type of motion though *Cough*...

*I have no idea if that is the right word to describe

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Just out of interest... how many tilesets are being used? o.o...
We use multitiles (meaning tiles which contain more than just one texture style) to get all that different looks. Currently, we use 13 standard tiles and 2 multitiles. Maybe we will expand to one more multitile in the future, but we still got enough slots to keep it the way it is.

Level 4
Uh I also wanted to suggest something...

After high end content ends there is little left to do with a character other than rush others or repeat high end content for fun... But the arena.

Well, with the introduction of the snow mountains and the dwarf area... maybe a new "high level" arena featuring capture the flag on a small scale area and a free for all mode?...

the red vs blue is nice and all and very handy... it already makes Gaias a much more interesting PVPer than all the lame Angels Arena out there. With additional game modes it will, in my opinion, rock the house.

Level 4
A CTF mode would be really funny in my opinion. Would be nice to backstab and kill people 1 sec before they can get a point :ogre_love: . If a CTF mode gets implented, the arena has to be big enough for different tactics etc. As well stealth would be too imba in CTF mode since thief could just get the flag and run back without any problems.

Level 10
I fully support anything that enhances PVP experience though I would aim more towards adding options to the current arena already in game first

Level 13
Pvp based options should probably be tackled once the upcoming endgame content has been balanced out.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
We will be slowly expanding the pvp features of Gaias in the future as soon as we can find an adequate PVE balance in endgame content.

Currently, PVP is only intended as a bonus, as the game mechanics are simply not designed to be PVP-friendly.

When I was last trying some 1v1 just for fun, I was actually kind of surprised how well it works - I mean, there's clearly some undenyable balance flaws in PVP and some classes who are clearly in favour over others, but the balancing is not THAT off as I thought it would be - so it's kind of a way to go for future updates.

PVP is a lot different to the content I got experience with and I admit I still need to learn a lot about how it works, how to make it worthwhile, and so on. I'm not that good designing competative games, so you can not expect something to happen in this regard with 1.2. I simply want to concentrate on the PVE content first and when this is done and we have a stable level 50 base to compare and adjust class balance, we can decide for the next steps to balance PVP.

But in general, I appreciate the idea of adding more *modes* to pvp, like ctf, ffa or king of the hill modes.

Level 13
^ sounds good.

When the time comes I'm happy to rip up the arena with anyone, pvp is what I enjoy most in rpgs.

Level 4
Not that I don't enjoy Gaias PVE - It's most impressive, hell the whole map is impressive :p... But like I said earlier... PVE is one of the few gamestyles that does "get old"....

I would at the very least consider options to spice up PVE... This is a WC3 map after all, could make excellent use of the known gamestyles and incorporate mini-games into PVE as well to make stuff interesting... High end PVE need not be only hack ' n ' slash... Puzzles, DOTA-Style dungeons (How cool would a small dota-style gameplay dungeon be?... lanes with waves and... and you gotta protect this one guy from dyi-...er.... ^^)... anything to give players a sense of accomplishment other than "new item!".

Again... this is a suggestion - the map is already awesome ;P

Level 17
PvP should be a focus when classes are up to scratch and all spells have been balanced. Also making early game a little less of a grindfest and a little more enjoyable could be something to pursue.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Also making early game a little less of a grindfest and a little more enjoyable could be something to pursue.
Well ... this is something that is really hard to do. People tend to make it a grindfest no matter what.
If I, for example, improve the difficulty level of the outdoor bosses or D1 and D2, people will simply outlevel them and then come back.
Almost nobody I saw on bnet games tries to beat the encounters at the level they were designed for (I'm talking to you, Golem Boss!).
Also, everyone keeps not doing the quests until the very end to do them all in one shot to gain two more levels than you could normally reach.
Of course the game is a grindfest if you intentionally avoid all that could improve the fun... :/

Level 13
Not that I don't enjoy Gaias PVE - It's most impressive, hell the whole map is impressive :p... But like I said earlier... PVE is one of the few gamestyles that does "get old"....

I would at the very least consider options to spice up PVE... This is a WC3 map after all, could make excellent use of the known gamestyles and incorporate mini-games into PVE as well to make stuff interesting... High end PVE need not be only hack ' n ' slash... Puzzles, DOTA-Style dungeons (How cool would a small dota-style gameplay dungeon be?... lanes with waves and... and you gotta protect this one guy from dyi-...er.... ^^)... anything to give players a sense of accomplishment other than "new item!".

Again... this is a suggestion - the map is already awesome ;P

If I want to play dota, I'll play dota. Filling gaias with sorry substitutes won't spice up PVE. A few ideas could be good though. I think zwieb mentioned how D4 groups would be smaller and more challenging to overcome, instead of the current charging through d3 we currently manage.

Puzzles are great, but once one person knows them, they're pointless. I.E. shades spawn point/timer, that was neat, but now it's just a regular thing.

I'm sure zwieb has some interesting ideas for D4. I agree though, grinding through a dungeon isn't preferable. Perhaps this should be brainstormed but lets try out very best to avoid dragging in other WC3 gamestyles.

Also, zwieb, the golem boss has shit drops. Add quest chains to the troll/golem bosses and you'll see more action on them. Once the level cap is reachable, people might start turning in quests. You could always make the xp they award viable up until a certain level, if that's possible. I.e. you can only get xp from that 15 wolf quest until level 5.

Level 18
Well ... this is something that is really hard to do. People tend to make it a grindfest no matter what.
If I, for example, improve the difficulty level of the outdoor bosses or D1 and D2, people will simply outlevel them and then come back.
Almost nobody I saw on bnet games tries to beat the encounters at the level they were designed for (I'm talking to you, Golem Boss!).
Also, everyone keeps not doing the quests until the very end to do them all in one shot to gain two more levels than you could normally reach.
Of course the game is a grindfest if you intentionally avoid all that could improve the fun... :/

if 1.2 has content up to level 50 (and no more leveling then people will do quests before because then they won't be able to level up anyways..

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
if 1.2 has content up to level 50 (and no more leveling then people will do quests before because then they won't be able to level up anyways..
I will prevent "keeping" quests anyway, by reducing the xp gain if the hero is more than 5 levels above the quest - but it doesn't change that people NOW do it just to get 2 more levels than they should. :/
It's weird; I will never understand, but thats just me... I've never been a powergamer. :D

Level 13
It's just a matter of looking fancy really. Leveling to 40 off level 35 bosses isn't fun either but once you get there, it's pretty neat.

Improve golem drops gogogo

Level 5
Mite nid some repeatable quest, or daily missions or just a task to keep gaining xp fun, because i can imagine everyone doing quest early and we gotta do run after run after run to just get to the last boss for xp, and my luck BOOM, i dc XD Rage quit for another week and come back lol

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Mite nid some repeatable quest, or daily missions or just a task to keep gaining xp fun, because i can imagine everyone doing quest early and we gotta do run after run after run to just get to the last boss for xp, and my luck BOOM, i dc XD Rage quit for another week and come back lol
Well, nobody forces you to outlevel the existing content. ;)

Level 8
Level litmit makes skiping quest pointless.
early dungeons alvays will be skipped until higher lvl or better team (making dungeon level req like d1 8-15, d2 20-30 could help but its also stupid) ppl would skip it until d3.
But making dungeon availe in heroic mode for lvl 50's would make a new chalange while not making new dungeon, just adding some abilitys to units for hc mode.

Level 17
Any information or hints at how the storyline regarding the plague will unfold with the new area and D4? I think I'm the only person curious about lore... :/

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Any information or hints at how the storyline regarding the plague will unfold with the new area and D4? I think I'm the only person curious about lore... :/
I can tell you that D4 will contain a lot of story elements, as the reason the players are venturing there is related to the story. Also, the tower in the mountains will contain story elements.
I don't want to spoiler, however, so I will keep my mouth shut for now. ;)

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Great news! I found a way to reduce the power consumption of my laptop graphics card. I can now use my laptop on battery for up to 2 hours, which is enough time to work on the map during my train travels - which means 3 hours of mapping time every second workday I would normally waste by sitting around doing nothing.

Level 10
That is great news :] will this effect the estimated times you posted a few days ago for 1.2 release? Also do these times over lap or do they get added up on top of eachother like 3-4 weeks for mountains, 2-3 weeks for d4 is that 5-7 weeks total or are they done at the same time?

Level 6
Great news! I found a way to reduce the power consumption of my laptop graphics card. I can now use my laptop on battery for up to 2 hours, which is enough time to work on the map during my train travels - which means 3 hours of mapping time every second workday I would normally waste by sitting around doing nothing.

at least good news for one of us. back in europe im just busy finding 2nd/3rd job and working in the first to get enough money ... hate this low wages. furthermore i have to move in a new flat. zwiebel already wants to kill me :D and now so do u !

hope to get my life together

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
at least good news for one of us. back in europe im just busy finding 2nd/3rd job and working in the first to get enough money ... hate this low wages. furthermore i have to move in a new flat. zwiebel already wants to kill me :D and now so do u !

hope to get my life together
to be honest I would prefer hearing from vito more than hearing from you. ;D
Not that your work isn't awesome; it is, but there's still so much empty terrain for D4 ... :(

Level 6
Out of topic theres a virus on the gaias main forum o_O my anti virus always prevents me checking main forum becouse of it :(

Level 6
it's becouse of Tsumo and Trollface, one is troyan and other1 is backdoor.

about payment in Poland I hope soon rebelion will start and we shall change those whores and comunist agents that sell our country :(

its because ur mother sucks......so GTFO u asshole

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Just to prove that this is still alive and terraining is on the progress:

Some Trolls temples and a castle ruin.

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 2,758
  • 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 2,738
Level 13
Just to prove that this is still alive and terraining is on the progress:

Some Trolls temples and a castle ruin.

If there's going to be trolls, please, for the love of god, throw a bone to the level 9 troll boss and give him a quest connected to that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.