• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gaias 1.2 ... and yes, I'm not joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I know I have long time not written anything into here because I was kinda unhappy about all those code wipes lately. So I just started playing it a little bit again. Here are some suggestions I had longer up in my mind but not written into here. Dont get me wrong its one of my favourite maps from warcraft but Im only writing constructive criticism.

Why are there no creep mobs including lvl 7-9. Outiside non boss mobs should be soloable? So I suggest some creep mobs including those levels that you dont need to farm up on lvl 5-6 mobs to reach lvl 9-10 and crafting ur 1-2 best items from riversdale. For new players Im pretty sure its to difficult to do this solo.

2. The big bad wolf is still soloable by ranged units by blocking it using the little companion wolf of it.

3. Some spells are really boring: E.g. "Dispell Magic" is mostly useless against most mobs, also the attack speed inscrease of the Cleric as well as his new Plane Shift Spell.
If you compare those spells to the spells the Necromancer is having (awesome fukkin skeleton mage!!!! damn nice water globes, Ice Cage and AOE Fire). If you make Bishop more fun to play, as much as necro for example more players would like to play it. Often you have enough people to play gaias but no wants to play Bishop. R and E are his only dmg spells and are so easy to use. I really like to heal/shield people but I also want attractive dmg spells.

3. Is it possible to introduce some special gear which is highly usefull in certain situations (Comparable to the actual fire resistant gears but for offenssive matters)? E.g. some kind of water staff increasing water dmg done by 10%, or holy staff increasing you healings done by 15%. There is atm to less potential of different gears, everyone has the same gear/ wants the same gear.

Last edited:
Level 17
lol, plane shift is not as boring as a skeleton mage. plane shift you can use in suitable situations. for example dodging a shadowbolt, or if you got too much threat and a creep attacks you, planeshift is rly useful too. the skeleton mage... you spawn him and he will do his job, you have not rly much to do. i like plane shift
i didnt ask often
its not only you..

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I know I have long time not written anything into here because I was kinda unhappy about all those code wipes lately. So I j...

You know, constructive critism isn't usually calling things 'fucking boring'. Anyway, i have to disagree about the spells, personally i think they are great and that Bishop is alot of fun (great solo-possibiliies, great in teams, can even tank in mid-lvl areas if he has enough cons).
The only thing i can see that might need some change is the dispel spell, since it has only 1 purpose. Maybe each cast of it could reduce the mage's threat level very slightly? (giving it a lackluster use outside of dispelling debuffs)

The rest of your suggestions are good though. But keep in mind that we havent even seen real high lvl stuff yet, so the items you talk about may come in the next release.

Level 5
Yepp, my mistake. I wanted use "fukking" in a positive way but accidently used it together with boring. I also used it for "fukkin awesome" :)

But compare the offensive spells: Bishop has only Soul Strike and Curse (Only applieing Curse to an enemy and spamming Soul Strike is indeed a bit boring or?). Sorcerer has Fireballs, Magic Missiles, Ice Cage, Water Globes, Meteor Strike, Thunder and Ignite. So Sorcerer 7 Dmging Spell Scources and Bishop only 2.

All classes got their utility spells and will get more in the future in addition to the core spells. They have their own unique purposes, mainly in group content, so saying that dispel magic is crap is just bullshit. Just because you can't use it in every situation doesn't mean its useless.

Same goes for Plane Shift. It might not be that useful yet (due to the fact that the whole Dungeon 3 is undead and crusaders deal helluva damage and threat against undead), but that doesn't mean it won't be useful in later content.

Also, remember that the second advanced class spell was never meant to be released already. I added it just to give you something to do for the waiting time for 1.2.

When criticizing spells, please don't compare apples with pears. It doesn't work. View the class as a whole, think about the combinations you can achieve and use that as a basis for discussion. Also keep in mind that there are more spells and items to come and hybrids currently being somewhat underpowered because of that.

Level 5
3. Is it possible to introduce some special gear which is highly usefull in certain situations (Comparable to the actual fire resistant gears but for offenssive matters)? E.g. some kind of water staff increasing water dmg done by 10%, or holy staff increasing you healings done by 15%. There is atm to less potential of different gears, everyone has the same gear/ wants the same gear.

I agree with that... everyone getting the same gear at end game is boring, no one is different...no one aims to be different because they cant be xD. it will be nice if there was gear to change the gameplay for some classes...i know the talent system will change that but still just a little suggestion from a nobody like me ^^

Great map anyways.

I agree with that... everyone getting the same gear at end game is boring, no one is different...no one aims to be different because they cant be xD. it will be nice if there was gear to change the gameplay for some classes...i know the talent system will change that but still just a little suggestion from a nobody like me ^^

Great map anyways.
1.2 will come with a wider selection of endgame items, as there will be Set Items, new Legendary items, unique recipe items and at least two dungeon drops per item slot for each class.
Also, the quest token system will come with some nice new items.

New footage. I placed a squire down to the feet of the tower to show how massive the whole landscape is ... :>

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 2,853
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 2,785
Level 17
The tower needs another door on the side, lol. But otherwise, I'm enjoying this terrain a lot.

Level 6
Dam Todez that looks too epic and i bet im not the only one whos very exited when this new version comes out is gona be awsome

:goblin_yeah:

Level 13
Looks fantastic zwieb. Wolfe is right though, the stairs going to nowhere do look a tad ridiculous. Throw a crushed pillar there or something to block that 'entrance'.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I know who is at the top of the tower. The evil Zweibelchen who is the mastermind behind the corruption of nature. If you dont avoid his aoe spells, your character will be removed, and all your saves lost.

Seriously though, it looks very good. Is the top of the tower going to be used for anything? - would be epic with a boss fight on top of an epic tower. :)

I know who is at the top of the tower. The evil Zweibelchen who is the mastermind behind the corruption of nature. If you dont avoid his aoe spells, your character will be removed, and all your saves lost.

Seriously though, it looks very good. Is the top of the tower going to be used for anything? - would be epic with a boss fight on top of an epic tower. :)
We're not sure about the use of the top of the tower yet. I adjusted the (freemode) camera system so that is zooms out when approaching the tower (so that you are able to see the top), but we still need some practical tests on wether the top of the tower is actually useable for fighting. If not, an npc will be located there.

However, the tower itself will be part of a multi-phase 'outdoor content' bossfight (the tower is not considered a dungeon, so it works kinda the same as with the sewers and The Shade).

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
How about the Oblivion, Oblivion Plane tower model. A tower which has an inside (interior area) with stairs moving up, and then you get to the top. Would be very cool in my opinion, but no demands, and i know you will come up with something brilliant no matter what.

Level 13
We're not sure about the use of the top of the tower yet. I adjusted the (freemode) camera system so that is zooms out when approaching the tower (so that you are able to see the top), but we still need some practical tests on wether the top of the tower is actually useable for fighting. If not, an npc will be located there.

You could always build another room that acts as the top of the tower, just throw some clouds and shit around an arena large enough to resemble the top. That's only if you'd really like to use it.

After almost an entire day of working on it the mountain area is now entirely completed.
Finally, I gotta say. But I'm pretty proud of myself. The area the mountain scenery covers is larger than the traderoute, farmland and mytargas area combined.
I uploaded two more screens of the highlands and the canyon.

During the next weeks, I will concentrate on creating the third island of Dungeon 4, as well as improving and adjusting the fourth island, which was left in a rather unfinished state.

You could always build another room that acts as the top of the tower
Ahh, but that would be very lame, wouldn't it? ;)

In the end, the tower top is just eyecandy. There is not enough room there to fight anyway. But it's still a cool "aha" effect when going up there.

Attachments

• 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 2,933
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 2,935
Level 13
It would technically be lame but it's the same principal you use for houses and such. Size doesn't really come into it that badly. If there's really no other way then fair enough.

Level 8
hmm, how about frostwyrm fight on top of the tower? ;)

but not from outdoor view, more like (entry to the roof from upper floor that takes u to enitrely different area that would be enlarged roof just for boss fight.

Last edited:
Level 10
This is amazing and you should feel amazing. Honestly with every new screenshot I see the more I anticipate 1.2. It's going to be some wc3 map that's for sure :]

Good news! I found the source of the massive FPS drop when playing Gaias Retaliation (the reason was the use of lots of invisible plattforms and walkable destructables).

With a new system that is going to be implemented, we can hopefully turn the FPS back to the normal 60 fps. Some quick tests I made had very positive results, so I'm optimistic.

Level 13
You could do a bit more work on those waterfalls muzzel they don't look very good.

And how are we meant to navigate through that many trees? It just doesn't seem very well built sorry.

Level 5
Onion of Death, is it possible to introduce a hitpoint bar for the shield strenght of the Clerics? E.g so you can more easily see "Oh, only 50 shield left Im gonna heal u buddy, cause ur just getting nuked!"

Onion of Death, is it possible to introduce a hitpoint bar for the shield strenght of the Clerics? E.g so you can more easily see "Oh, only 50 shield left Im gonna heal u buddy, cause ur just getting nuked!"
Well ... I think that spell is overpowered enough without that little tweak...
I think it's fine to leave guessing the hitpoints of the shield to the feel and experience of players. It's one of those things that makes playing the bishop interesting.

@ Muzzel:
trollolo.

Level 13
Still needs a nerf. I took that Onion of Death comment as motivation to google your name Zwieb. What the fuck is that thing.

Level 5
What about the fps drops when someone's doing a d3 run? Because I didn't actually understand the concept of your new system. My question is, what is it that you did to change the fps rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.