1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Campaign] Flight of the Snow Witch

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by darwin, Aug 16, 2017.

1. darwin

darwin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The Hive Workshop

[​IMG]

Map Info:

Flight of the Snow Witch is a 10-map campaign set in the Talislanta RPG universe, though it is assumed players are unfamiliar with the setting. The player leads the forces of the Seven Kingdoms against the united hordes of the Submen. The player can choose from four different Heroes, each of whom tells a different story, with some different quests, different abilities, and a different cinematic ending.

The campaign features all new Heroes, units, spells, and four high quality action-based mini-games similar in style and substance to the popular Battle for Tatooine map. Upon completion, the campaign will be fully voice acted.

Currently, the game is playable from start to finish, but still requires some music integration, skin improvements, possibly some additional models, and some minor bug fixes. The primary limitation to release, however, is the lack of voice acting. If you know any volunteer voice actors, please have them contact Darwin at the Hive Workshop. I need men and women’s voices.

Game Style: Single player campaign. Traditional gameplay with Heroes, bases, units, as well as action-based mini-games.

Trailer:

Features:

Four Heroes / Four Stories:

Choose your hero:

Players choose from among four main Heroes, each with a different play style, completely different spells, and different storylines and endings. My hope is that this dramatically increases the re-playability of the campaign.

Your main hero has eight abilities, and can count on help from three or four supporting heroes throughout the campaign. The main heroes are:

Aquamancer. Zarillo Wavecrasher is a spell-thief and revolutionary whose story begins with him in the custody of the Seven Kingdoms military police. During his escape, he discovers a threat to his country. The Aquamancer’s story is more humorous than the others and is light in tone. Zarillo’s spells specialize in self-heals and movement.

Sample spell: Liquid Evasion turns the Aquamancer to water temporarily, removing negative buffs, restoring a minor amount of health, and preventing targeting by enemies. It can be auto-cast.

Liquid Evasion:

Aeromancer. Koraqus Windwalker is a war scholar and analyst who advises the Seven Kingdoms’ military. He has warned for years that the Submen could unite in opposition to the civilized races. The Aeromancer’s storyline is more cerebral and plot focused. His spells specialize in anti-air and area of effect attacks.

Sample spell: Lightning Ball is one of the Aeromancer’s starting spells. Casting it turns the Aeromancer into a ball of lightning that darts out to the target point and then returns, damaging enemy units along the path.

Lightning Ball:

Geomancer. Shalizar Rockbinder is a front-line commander of the Seven Kingdoms’ military, and was well respected among them. He took on a more advisory role after his wife took ill and moved to the Northernlands hoping the cold would treat her lung condition. The Geomancer’s storyline deals more with adult relationships. Shalizar’s spells specialize in defensive and stun attacks on ground units.

Sample spell: Boulder Toss is the main attack ability of the Geomancer. It sends boulders from the ground into the target area, stunning and damaging ground units.

Boulder Toss:

Pyromancer. Thalarios Cordring is a commander in the Seven Kingdoms’ military and is known for his pride and martial prowess. His skills are put to the challenge when he discovers the Submen threat. The Pyromancer’s story fits the traditional hero genre. Thalarios focuses on heavy damage spells at the expense of defense.

Sample spell: Sassan’s Fiery Motes is a basic attack ability for the Pyromancer that targets one enemy unit for large damage. However, if the unit is killed by the blast, the corpse will explode and distribute the remaining damage (multiplied by three) among enemy units near the target. By targeting the weak for execution, the Pyromancer can turn this spell into a highly mana-efficient area of effect spell.

Sassan’s Fiery Motes:

Over a hundred new spells:

All player units have new abilities. My philosophy is to prefer fun over complicated. Therefore, many spells are fairly simple in design, e.g. the darkling’s Sneak ability is a retooled Windwalk spell. But other spells are heavily triggered to create new effects, e.g. the Geomancer’s ultimate moves the ground beneath his feet to launch him into the air like a trampoline-jump, and then he turns himself to stone and encases himself in rock, hurling himself at the target point and damaging enemies in the area.

Some sample spells:

Tri-bow Volley. Aeriad Rangers are the basic archer unit of the Seven Kingdoms’ army. When Tri-bows are upgraded, the Aeriads can fire a volley damaging all units in the target area. When a subgroup is given the order, all selected archers will fire as well, making groups of Aeriad very deadly.

Arcane Armaments & Arkon’s Grasp. Cymrilian Swordsmages are one of two casters in the Seven Kingdoms Army. Swordsmages use mage to augment their front-line fighting abilities. Their second spell – Arcane Armaments – enchants their blades and summons a shield, increasing their damage and defense, as well as enabling a lightning attack with each strike that interrupts enemy attacks and spells. Their third spell – Arkon’s Grasp – is channeled and holds one enemy ground unit in stasis, doing shock damage to them over time.

Giant Strength . Cymrilian Mages are the support casters of the Seven Kingdoms Army. They can restore mana to their allies, and turn them permanently invisible. Their third spell is “Giant Strength.” This spell enlarges nearby melee attackers and increases their damage. The spell can stack up to 5 times, and fades over time so that the unit will slowly shrink back to normal size and damage.

Intense Mini-games:

Several maps have mini-games similar to Battle for Tatooine. These mini-games use custom physics, dynamic water currents, custom missiles, and other systems that make for an entertaining action game embedded in a more traditional campaign.

Sample Maps:

Prelude: Conclave of the Landbourne

This map puts the player in the role of the story's primary villain as he comes to power and begins his plot against the civilized peoples of Talislanta. The map starts with a mini-game in which the player steers and commands their equine, engaging in duels duels and jousts. Finally, the player learns of each enemy unit and commands them in battle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Map #1: Into Terra's Arm

At the start of this map, you will choose your hero and guide him through an underground cave. You will also control Tora the Gnomekin Crystalomancer. Tora uses crystal-magic and can cast any of her three basic spells on large crystal formations to generate more powerful effects on the map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Map #2: Siege of Akmir

Your hero comes upon Submen forces attacking the Seven Kingdoms' outpost of Akmir. Depending on your hero choice, you may be called upon to control the outpost's crystal tower to help defend the main gates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credits:

Tutorials/Systems:
    Kobas
    Mechanical Man
    Aesthetics
    Vexorian

Loading Screens/Map Preview Image:Talislanta free release: Talislanta Library

Voice acting:
    Vrag - David JG Doyle
    Snow Witch - Elsie Lovelock
    Arkonitus – Elf_Lord
    King of Cymril – Elf_Lord
    Zairat – Elf_Lord
    Male Gnomes – Darwin
    Aquamancer – Darwin
    Chanan men – UCLA Phonetics Lab
    Beastmen – UCLA Phonetics Lab
    Stryx – UCLA Phonetics Lab

Extra Sounds:
    Wind by Mark DiAngelo (during blizzard)
    Thunderstorm by Mike Koenig (during storm)

UI:
    I3lackDeath

Models:

SpiritLinkTarget by JetFangInferno
    Glaciar Aura by Daelin
    Shiva's Wrath and Shiva's Enchantment by JetFangInferno
    Frozen Orb by Daelin
    Glacial Aura by Daelin
    GreenMalachite by RodOfNOD
    DragonSpawnGreen by alfredx_sotn
    queu1 by unknown
    Pit Garomaul by Sheyd
    Thunderman by RightField
    webward by RightField
    Cleansefx by SantoRayo[iP]
    WarMage by armel
    Trollmage by Nasrudin
    OrcWarStation by Nirvendor/ThePlacidOne
    SpiritLinkTarget by JetFangInferno
    Titan by Oniwaga
    Ultimate Explosion - Will the Almighty
    Ultimate Explosion (massive explosion) - Will the Almighty
    Ground Explosion - Will the Almighty
    Flamethrower - Will the Almighty
    IceApult by ColdStar
    Eryops by ThunderLizard
    Frost Warp by Pyritie
    Water High by Pyritie
    Frost Nova by Daelin
    Watery Aura by sPy
    Water Nova by Retrosexual
    Air Essence by Retrosexual
    Scamp by Mc!
    TikiIceMage by Cookie
    Chaos Warlock Green by Arvedui
    Red Laser (reskinned by Darwin) Champara Bros
    Air Elemental: thunderman by RightField
    Aeromancer's attack: lighting bolt by Champara Bros
    Black Wind: ShadowTornado by JetFangInferno
    Whirlpool by Mc !
    HeroMoonPriestess by garfield
    ShadowTornado and IceTornado by JetFangInferno
    Ice Bolt by Horn
    Orc Commander by wingednosering
    StoneCircleShieldTarget by JesusHipster
    Butterfly icon by Anachron
    SunfireMissile by pWn3d
    Air Essence by Retrosexual
    Lightning Bolt by Champara Bros
    AncientDragonLord by Cookie
    Mercenary Barracks by Ultimata
    Web tileset by Thunder Mare
    Ballista missile by Uncle Fester
    Log by Sin'dorei300
    Lightnings Multiple by Tranquil
    Castle parts by IllidanEvilX and Tranquil (from UTM)
    AlgarvianTownhall by RightField (minor reskin by Darwin)
    Trebuchet by OlafMoleMan
    Naboo doodads by Illidan(evil)X
    Shark by MiniMage & Kellym0
    UndeadtransportShip by Dmitry Rommel
    Pier by Mike
    LightningNova by dhguardianes
    gate by Shadowkiller
    animated grass by Nasrudin
    EerieFog by sc_freak
    lizardmen by Gluma
    Forcefield model by Fingolfin
    Forcefield skull image by SignatureBob
    Applause.wav by Bansemer
    TornadoMissile by BurninRose
    OrbOfWind by UgoUgo
    WindElemental by icewolf055
    Brass_Borer by –Grendel
    Heart by republicola
    BerryBush by HerrDave and Jim22
    Destructable Plant & Grass By HappyTauren
    Fern by OlafMoleman
    Glowing Thunder Rune by ChaoticHunter
    Plasma Grenade by WILL THE ALMIGHTY
    EMP By AlienAtSystem
    Lightning Bolt By Champara Bros
    PeeKay's Lightning Sphere By PeeKay
    Zap Missile By Thrikodius
    Cold Buff By dhguardianes
    Trees in final map by Fingolfin
    Green Light by nhocklanhox6
    TownCenter (Aeriad Treefort) by RightField
    Whitecloak (Mirin Tundra Scout model) by HerrDave
    HaradrimAssassin (Arimite Revenant) by Uncle Fester
    Crusader (Aamanian Warrior-Priest model) – Miseracord
    Skirmisher (Aamanian Squire model) – Rostrodle
    VikingLongBoat (Cyrmil transport ship) - Olafmoleman
    Stomp by nGy
    Death Grip by Azsure
    MagicShield by JesusHipster
    HealingWisps by JetFangInferno
    Buche1-5 trees taken from B2Mpack

Icons:

BTNMental by alfredx_sotn
    BTNDragonStones by Darky29
    BTNinfernalborder By DevineArmy
    BTNMove by Naro
    BTNANAWindWalkV3 by Anachron
    BTNOrcCommander by chr2
    Nature’s Wrath, Netherbolt, Void, ProtectionGreen, BTNElektroShock by Berz
    BTNPlagueNova by Hellx-Magnus
    BTNCRGreenagcopy by CRAZYRUSSIAN
    BTNPieceOfShip by NFWar
    BTNCWWoodenShield By CloudWolf
    Ballista by Mike
    BTNBowwithArrow by kola
    BTNMove by Raging Ent

Banner background:Jovan Goodall

Change Log

Version 0.0

Initial post:
    No changes yet.

Author's notes:

I started this campaign over a decade ago, when we used to have to edit MPQ files manually to change the text of spells. It's been a long journey, but I always come back to this project after a few months to add another map or spell. I hope everyone enjoys the final product when it is done. Please let me know if you can do any voice acting for it.

I can't thank all of the hundreds of people who have helped me over the years (first at Blizzard's map makers forum, and then here at the Hive Workshop) but know that if you ever took the time to answer someone's question on the forum it was almost certainly appreciated. It certainly was by me.

Known Issues:

The computer AI is rather unintelligent in most maps.

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-

Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
    Campaign, Battle for Tatooine, Single Player, Talislanta, Snow Witch

2. ILH

ILH

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Now that's an interesting campaign, especially those 1 unit control games looks reallyyy good
    Sub+ :D

3. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    This looks like an absolute gem. I'm very much looking forward to this one

4. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks like a brilliant piece of work Darwin. I have to say though, while the name is unique, it doesn't really resonate with me. But it's not awful, so I'll leave you to what you want to do about it.
    The trailer is also awesome, but the resolution quality brings it down a lot.

But overall, the campaign definitely deserves spotlight somewhere. I'll see what I can do in the coming days, should more content / screenshots come out.

5. xISLx

xISLx

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Discussion started yesterday"
    So where've you been hiding it for so long? :D

The voice acting of (presumably) the main character (orc) is outstanding, the gameplay looks brilliant, and those cinematics effects... man...

Also, the yellowish orcs with blue eyes and those absolutely green... eh... elves, the settings are surely unique in here. It all reminds of the old classic fantasy books and fiction.

EDIT: Talislanta you say? Huh, I'll take a look. :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  6. WarcraftLiterature

WarcraftLiterature

Resources:
    Resources:
    Look's very very good. I love that russian bit at the end. Going to have to watch out for this campaign.

7. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Impressive trailer and voice acting indeed.
    Subbed.

8. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Subscribing casually. :)

9. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looks good, but I fail to see how is this connected to Star wars.

10. darwin

darwin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The campaign has nothing to do with Star Wars; it's set in Talislanta - a kind of typical magic fantasy genre with 100s of races and cultures. I mention Battle for Tatooine because it's the only other map I've released, and a lot of players liked the action system there. I've used it for several mini-games in this campaign, e.g. boat combat, a racing game with the Orc Raider model.

Thanks everyone for helping with some of the voices. I should have more updates soon.

11. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah, because you were writing about this being related to Battle of Tatooine

12. Doomcore

Doomcore

Resources:
    Resources:
    Subscribing on this ^^. Great trailer indeed, so the gameplay will be greater too.
    Glad to be a part of the project.

13. Morris

Morris

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is this project still in progress?

14. PrinceOfThaWest

PrinceOfThaWest

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is there a way to play at least some of this? This trailer left me speechless so I won't even bother trying to explain why I'd love to play at least first chapter of this, BETA or not.

15. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    MUST SUBSCRIBE!

I really want to see this finalized.

16. King Tidus

King Tidus

Resources:
    Resources:
    looks promising

17. darwin

darwin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Absolutely. Mark my words; this will be completed. I'm still hoping to have it done by Christmas, but the voice acting is taking a while. If you know any voice actors please send them my way.

You are very kind! I'm about 80% through the voice acting, though I want to recast one of the female roles... and maybe one of the heroes I did myself. It's semi-playable now; but with spotty voice acting and I haven't timed the speech well yet (e.g. how long to wait before people talk in a conversation). Music needs work too. It's close though, I promise.

18. Hetgrum

Hetgrum

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Easier on the green colour, please.

19. PrinceOfThaWest

PrinceOfThaWest

Resources:
    Resources:
    And you're very talented, my man. The unique ideas and systems presented in the video so far would really leave anyone speechless. This is one of the campaigns which stand out from the rest in terms of systems and game-play, and on top of that it has unique story-line and lore which is absolutely what I love when I play a campaign. Looking forward for the release when you make those changes. Keep up the great work!

20. Lord Siler

Lord Siler

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hell yea