• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Defense of Ishera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
What is "The Defense of Ishera"?

The Defense of Ishera is a hero defense map. You and up to three friends can hold out for 25 waves against various creep and boss units. The Heroes can purchase items and mercenaries to help them defend, and can level up 4 unique skills.

Map Info

After the map starts, you have 1 minute to select a hero and buy items. Then round 1 begins. Monsters spawn around the outside and move inwards towards the Altar of Sorrow. You must kill the monsters before they break the Altar. You will gain money from kills which you can use to purchase stronger items or mercenary units.

There are 3 waves to each round, spawning more and harder units. After the first wave begins there is a 24 second wait until wave 2, and another 24 second wait until wave 3. The next wave will start regardless of if you killed all the enemies in the wave before it. A speedy dispatch of enemies is highly recommended.

Items, Heroes, and Creeps (Bosses included) need to be finished before the map is playable. The rounds and waves are stable, and the AI is basic but it works. I hope to have a working version within 2 weeks.

Here is a basic gameplay video, showing some of the aesthetics and basic gameplay. In case anyone was wondering the song is Hang On Sloopy by Count Basie.​

Features
Unique heroes!
Recruitable mercenary units!
Beautiful forest terrain!
Items & Recipes!
Multiboard for various information!
25 Rounds of monsters!

Hero Table
Hero Attribute Spell 1 Spell 2 Spell 3 Ultimate
Troll Shaman Intelligence
Zul'maran uses a mixture of herbs and tribal magic to create a wave of healing magic. The more units the magic bounces to the less potent it becomes.
Zul'maran drenches target unit and all nearby units with an acid. Deals heavy damage per second, and the acid reduces armor. Lasts 8 seconds.
Zul'maran places a powerful voodoo curse on target unit, transforming it into a critter. At the end of the curse, the unit will take damage equal to the life lost during the curse.
Zul'maran uses the corpses of units within 600 area of effect to summon forth shadowy monsters to fight for him.

Keeper of Storms Intelligence
Califax creates a bursts of energy in target location, causing enemy units within 400 area of effect to lose mana based on level. For each point of mana lost the unit suffers 3 damage.
Califax strikes down target unit with a fearsome lightning bolt. All enemies within 200 area of effect of the lightning bolt will also receive damage.
Califax binds the power of the storm to target friendly unit, causing it to attack 100% faster.
Califax conjures up a violent hurricane. The hurricane slows all enemies within it and damages them harshly. Lasts 10 seconds at all levels.
Death Knight Strength
Lord Sunshine surrounds an ally with a shield of dark energy. The shield will absorb incoming damage, and will expire when it passes a damage threshold or expires from time. If the shield expires from damage, it will sap the life of nearby enemy units for the wearer.
Lord Sunshine creates a burst of dark energy on target unit, dealing minor damage. All enemy units within 200 range are also effect for full damage. Lord Sunshine is healed for half the total damage dealt.
Lord Sunshine strikes his halberd with such ferocity as to hurt the enemies within 200 area of effect of his victim.
King Leo Strength
King Leo summons forth a random group of animals to aid him. Stronger animals will last a shorter time. [c]
King Leo slams the ground, stunning nearby enemies and dealing damage equal to his strength.
[c]
King Leo swings his heavy axes with such strength that they sometimes stun the target he is attacking. Deals 50 bonus damage on a bash.
[c]

While there are more spells, only these are displayed. The other heroes only have 1 spell, or the spell isn't completely bug-free yet. This table will continue to be updated as spells become finished.

Systems

GUI Spell Event by Magtheridon96
GUI Unit Indexer, Damage Engine, & Is Unit Moving by Bribe

Models & Skins

GrimBatolLamp by Sellenisko
Mr. Goblin & Mr. Goblin's Stall by Deolrin
Magic Brazier by Argus
Arcane Teleportation by exfyre
Animated trees, bushes & grass by HappyCockroach
Tiny Leaf Tree & Flowering Tree by Eubz
Mountain Tree, Windcutter, & Behemoth Rider by Callahan
Troll Shaman & Unholy Strike by Nasrudin
Amethyst Tower by Pyramidhe@d
Arachnathid by zadelim
Burning Mandala by Nexus Blizzard
Gryphon by -Grendel
Holy Keeper & King Leo by Hueter
Ladybug Aura & Voodoo Buff by DonDustin
Retributer, Naga Royal Guard, & Demon Knight by Tarrasque
Nobleman by M0rbid
Valkyrie, Cleric, High Elf Archer, Returned, Returned Mage, Returned Archer, & Returned Axeman by 67chrome
Shadow Golem by WILLTHEALMIGHTY
Sharadar Sorceror & The Empress by Dionesiist
Soulfire Missile by Boogles
Turalyon by JokeMaster
Tornado Missile by BurninRose
Stormtrooper by Red Shift
Arcane Effect & Missile by Pyritie

Icons

Adrenalin, Invul Potion, Invis Potion, & Warcry by Peekay
Behemoth Rider by Midnighters
Bloodsword by bigapple90
Grave Dance, Black Book, Warp6, & Warp 10 by CRAZYRUSSIAN
Turalyon by Cloudwolf
Death Hand by The D3ath
Holy Keeper & King Leo by Erwenterpeller
Nether Swap by 4eNNightmare
Noxious Fumes by Lelling
Incantate Demonic Spirit & Lightning by Paladon
Naga Royal Guard by HandCLAW
Shadow Torment by FrIkY
Sorceror by Dionesiist
Wind Shield by Darkfang
Storm Trooper by Red Shift
Boots, High Elf Archer, Cleric, & Valkyrie by 67Chrome
Cloth Gloves by NFWar

Last edited:
Level 16
Well you need to tell why this is better than those other hero defense maps.

Also, the spell ideas are very unoriginal.

The thing that's taking up the gigantic amount of time is trying to make a triggered enemy AI that reacts to the players. The AI will run checks to determine whether to cast certain spells, attack a low hp unit, move out of a spells effect, or regroup. The AI will work in a squad with the units it spawns with, and seeing how there are 8 spawns, there will be 8 squads of units running around. The squad members will put anti-magic shells on melee units, heal nearby friendlies, shoot aoe spells (line such as impale or circle such as rain of fire) when appropriate, and just generall be focused in and concious. While creeps will have straight up OE spells and passives, the boss units will have at least 1 unique spell, and a default aura to boost nearby enemies. Squads will follow the boss unit and buff him. The reason I haven't disclosed information about the AI is because it is still being created, and while they do all attack the heroes/altar, they do not always react how they're supposed to, whether it be not casting spells or not being squad aware. Also the effectiveness of the AI will be limited by how efficiently the entire system runs, if it drops too low in FPS it means it is running too many checks too often.

And yes I have more spells, the reason they aren't shown is because the heroes aren't fully finished. As for the Troll spells, 2 of them are straight up object editor work with some different SFX and and of them is object editor spell mixed with easy looping trigger. Last one is basically triggered version of raise dead. Yes it isn't original, but it works for the idea of the hero, and the style of play the hero gives. Acid Flask will probably be remade, the ultimate might be reworked. The beautiful part of a map in development means it can be changed.

As far as originality, I might tinker around with mixing some other elements into the gameplay. However, I just want to get all the heroes/items/creeps/AI/gameplay working before I focus on that. Once I have a solid base game I'll expand the ideas into something more original.

Level 16
Bump bump baduuuump. Basic gameplay video added, description elaborated on. The game works in waves of 3 each round, and you buy units and whatnot. The shop system is shown, a single shopkeeper sells weapons, armor, arcane, consumables, recipes, and units in various tabs. The multiboard keeps track of k/d and the hero of whom the player chose.

Ok I've decided to treat this page slightly more seriously. Stay tuned for updates on heroes, items, and creeps.

Level 16
The AI will continue to be a work in progress up until the game is finished in its entirety. While it is planned to be more complex, currently they move towards the center, and if they take damage and there are a certain number of nearby units, they will cast a spell. Certain autocast spells will default cast, such as curse/bloodlust, so that's just dandy.

I am using tools of Bribe's Unit Indexer, such as the damage engine. I'll implement more into my map and see how I can make the AI more responsive while not lagging the map. Currently my map runs near 40 fps on my shitty computer while I have both world editor and wc3 open (which is very playable btw)

Actually, there's nothing unique in this map as all Hero's survival maps have:

Unique heroes
Recruitable mercenary units
Beautiful terrain
Items & Recipes
Multiboard for various information
25 Rounds of monsters

Customizing heroes, editing Blizzard's spells won't make your map special for there's no entertainment in hacking and slashing creeps.

You should consider adding new stuff like upgradable weapons, custom spells, mountable siege weapons or abandoned towers that you need to conquer where you can use their cannons to kill the creeps..etc..

On a side note, why do you bump your topic? as I thought this section was for providing testers with BETA versions of uploaded maps so they can tell you how to improve, but so far..there's nothing in this topic but a wall of text hence there's nothing to comment on, if you're looking for ideas, testers, comments, people to help you with your project then go to the Map Recruitment section of the forums.

Overall nice project, keep the good work up.

Level 16
Actually, there's nothing unique in this map as all Hero's survival maps have:

Unique heroes
Recruitable mercenary units
Beautiful terrain
Items & Recipes
Multiboard for various information
25 Rounds of monsters

Customizing heroes, editing Blizzard's spells won't make your map special for there's no entertainment in hacking and slashing creeps.

You should consider adding new stuff like upgradable weapons, custom spells, mountable siege weapons or abandoned towers that you need to conquer where you can use their cannons to kill the creeps..etc..

On a side note, why do you bump your topic? as I thought this section was for providing testers with BETA versions of uploaded maps so they can tell you how to improve, but so far..there's nothing in this topic but a wall of text hence there's nothing to comment on, if you're looking for ideas, testers, comments, people to help you with your project then go to the Map Recruitment section of the forums.

Overall nice project, keep the good work up.

Wow please read the entire thread before you comment. As I said before, and I'll say it again, I am trying to get a fully working game before I add in more content. Yes the only SHOWN hero has 3 edited spells. Thank you. If you had bothered to read the title on the table it was "Finished Hero Table". That means that the hero is fully done. The spells work well with how the hero works, and if Blizzard provides me with a suitable and fully functioning base, why bother to change things? On the topic of originality, the game should fully work before I start adding in systems and extra content. Yes it may just be another hero defense at the moment, but please wait until it is closer to being finished. Next, I bumped my own topic because I added a short video showing some of the gameplay and made it fully apparenty how the game worked. Players did not know that there were 3 waves to a round before my bump.

And map development threads are to show map development. I am updating my thread, progress is being shown. The hardest part of creating this map is crafting the heroes and going through the tedious task of creating enemies. Seeing as you can't create a beta without creeps, and there is only 1 hero even playable, the beta cannot be released.

Level 19
Based on the trailer, heres what I think:

Terrain is dead flat.
Also, its ugly how those rocks blend with the dirt.
Raise the grass tiles a bit and add more doodads.

The base is also blank. Add more sizzle.
Also, your shop is very unoriginal.
Thats the shop Adiktuz uses. Try thinking of a new concept.

Maybe, the shop would be shown in a multiboard, with buying via up, down and right arrow keys.
Also, to stop people from saying that your abilities are unoriginal, please add some base heroes, even if theyre not yet done.

Level 16
Based on the trailer, heres what I think:

Terrain is dead flat.
Also, its ugly how those rocks blend with the dirt.
Raise the grass tiles a bit and add more doodads.

The base is also blank. Add more sizzle.
Also, your shop is very unoriginal.
Thats the shop Adiktuz uses. Try thinking of a new concept.

Maybe, the shop would be shown in a multiboard, with buying via up, down and right arrow keys.
Also, to stop people from saying that your abilities are unoriginal, please add some base heroes, even if theyre not yet done.

Thank you for responding. The terrain is not DEAD flat. It has inclines and declines into small ponds, but yes I should try to make it a touch more elevated.

Rock as in rock tile or rock as in rock doodad?

I shall try to add in more doodads that fit in with the general flow of the forest. I perused the doodads section and did not really like what I saw :p

The base is blank because of the large amount of units that are moving. Generally the doodads are all clumped together in patches because there needs to be places for the AI to flow. It will make more sense when you play it.

Yes the shop is unoriginal. I didn't want the hassle of a seperate multiboard for a shop (which has been done before btw). I wanted a simple shop where you could buy all the items in one place, and Adiktuz had a nice tutorial. I see no problem with it, and it will be the LAST thing changed.

I shall consider adding in more heroes to the description soon. They will have like 2-3 abilities though >_> I'll update the main thread later tonight.

Level 16
I meant rock tile.
Also for the terrain, dont just raise/lower ponds.
Maybe also lower dirt tiles and raise grass.

Yes i meant i would also raise/lower grass tiles to make the effect more visible. Currently the water is as low as it will go and be ground pathable. If i wanted to make it lower I'd have to make all the units be able to walk in deep water, which isn't a problem BUT I'm not going to do it.

And thoughts on the new spells? The only default is cleaving attack so there are 4 new spells available for critique.

Level 19
Dont forget synergies, heroes and mostly eye candy.
Synergies are a must in my view.
Since, synergies help you kill more creeps and stuff.

Also, please make your apells more on mass unit killing.
Its what hero defense maps demand.
It would be natural to use a spell which does 60 damage to many units than using a spell which damages one unit for 150.
The only exception of this would be the boss.

Level 16
Dont forget synergies, heroes and mostly eye candy.
Synergies are a must in my view.
Since, synergies help you kill more creeps and stuff.

Also, please make your apells more on mass unit killing.
Its what hero defense maps demand.
It would be natural to use a spell which does 60 damage to many units than using a spell which damages one unit for 150.
The only exception of this would be the boss.

Yes there is a bigger focus on area of effect. There will be specific heroes whose roles are to combat bosses, but the majority of skills will be AoE. Of course aoe heroes will have single target spells, it only makes sense and allows them to combat bosses.

I am trying to implement synergy.

Level 16
~Bump~

Updated the hero table with 4 more skills, a significant feat considering I was gone half of spring break. There have been some terrain changes as well, which won't be viewable as of yet. The shops now wont have that annoying select hero button as well. Some balance changes.

Progress is being made, just not at breakneck pace. I hope to have a playable beta before May. Stay tuned people.

Status
Not open for further replies.