1. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice

[Feedback] Request Features for JASS and the World Editor

Discussion in 'Patch Discussion' started by TriggerHappy, Aug 23, 2018.

1. WeirdEditor

WeirdEditor

Resources:
    Resources:
    How to stop AI from issuing orders if the player slot was assigned to computer before starting the game?
    SetPlayerController(,PLAYER_CONTROL_NONE) doesn't work.
    Even kicking computer player out the game (call RemovePlayer(,PLAYER_GAME_RESULT_DEFEAT)) doesn't help.

2. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Even if I guess this has already been suggested, I would like a feature to easily add custom resources (oil, iron, stone, mana...), in addition to existing resources, not as a replacement.

Also, this is not a suggestion for the editor, but I think it would be useful: an option to display ally and enemy HP bars with different colours, so you can distinguish more easily your own units from other players' units (it can really be a mess when having many units in the battlefield)

3. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    - Option to wrap textures as used by particles
    - Change minimum particle emission rate from 0.1s to 0.01s
    - Allow ribbon life spans as short as 0.01s
    - Allow ribbons to have speed

4. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Now the original (previous) thread is almost 2 years old already so I can't remember if this has already been suggested or not, but it would be nice if one could rotate buildings (both with triggers and in the world editor).

Currently to rotate buildings in the world editor the workaround is to temporarily turn the building into a unit, rotate it, and then turn it back into a building. That gets quite tedious.

As for rotating buildings ingame, if you want to rotate a building (for example one that has just been built by a worker), you have to remove that building and create a new one at the same place.

5. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd like more sounds options. For example, it would be nice to have separate sound types so you can switch on/off or turn up or down the volume more easily:
    • All sounds
    • Game sounds
    • Music
      • In-game music
      • Music in cutscenes
      • Music in the game menu / in battle.net
    • Voices
      • Units voices
      • Voices in cutscenes and dialogs
    • Ambient sounds

Also, don't know if it would be possible or even if it is relevant, but:
    • Wait action that is actually accurate, so mappers don't have to find ways to circumvent its current inaccuracy (maybe as a new wait action, so it doesn't break existing maps)
    • Automatically remove leaks, instead of having mappers forced to do it

6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    And first let us play the same sound as different sounds at the same time not like now when it is overwritten and only the first sound is heard until it stops while the others being silent.

7. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    No, not this, sometimes you want to save a location in a variable and use it for a while. Removing leaks automatically makes you lose control of certain purposes.

8. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok thanks, I didn't think of that. Maybe having something easier than a custom script then? Custom scripts are not newbie-friendly. I've been tinkering with the editor since the game came out, and I found out about leaks only a few years ago (shortly after I came across the Hive, actually). Since I'm not an experienced mapper, even now I'm still not totally comfortable with the concept of leaks (and I often forget to deal with them in my maps). Something more accessible for newcomers would be nice :)

9. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yes they aren't newbie-friendly. Sure we really would like that the leak removal stuff was available also in a GUI action besides custom script. In fact I think the that idea has been spotted but didn't really get much attention, but it would be really a great benefit for everyone. There were already some leak removal stuff like destroy lightning in GUI, so why not add more?:D

10. Devalut

Devalut

Resources:
    Resources:
    On the topic of basic GUI variable/leak handling, here's some suggestions:
    • Variable - x.xx second "life span/expiration timer" for unitgroup/location/playergroup/Etc
    • Variable - Deadman's Switch- Attach (udg_SpecificVariable) to (last created unit) - [Attached Variable's Values will be cleared if the unit Dies, Decays, or Removed from the Game.]
    • Variable - Attachment to general things like FloatingText/SpecialEffects/UnitGroup/Etc that are cleared when the attached item is destroyed.
    • Variable - Clear all attached Variables on Unit/Floating/Sp.ef./UGroup/Etc
    • Variable - x.xx second "Expiration" to all attached variables on Unit/Floating/Sp.ef./UGroup/Etc
    • Variable - Reset "Expiration" on (udg_SpecificVariable [OR] ALL) variables attached to Unit/Floating/Sp.ef./UGroup/Etc
    • Variable - Modify/Clear Values of (udg_SpecificVariable [OR] ALL) Attached Variables containing VALUE - (i.e. change all variables containing specific unit's Custom Value, akin to the hashtable version.

INB4 redundant & unnecessary

11. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Reposting my suggestions here based on Sieben's and Killcide's posts:

Interface:

In settings enable the ability to pick between the Reign of Chaos and
    The Frozen Throne interface(ROC feels much better for me for example due
    to the colors).

Add a disable (only menu) sounds/music checkboxes, similar to the HOTKEYS CTRL S/CTRL M that exist, however it would be more intuitive.

Add a list to filter hosted maps per game type:
    (Other, Melee, Hero Defense, Hero Arena, Tower Defense, Tower Wars,
    RPG, Risk, Mini-Game, Campaign, Castle Defense)
    (These categories were taken from epicwar and altered a bit to remove redundant ones, plus added risk which is a very very popular game mode).

Hosting:
    • Allow ping to be seen in the hosted lobbies like in starcraft remastered.
    • Allow hosts to reserve a slot to a certain username.
    • Allow hosts to specify if they want to enable votestart command in case he goes afk.
    • In addition to banlist give us a mutelist (and we are able to visualize them somewhere, same goes to banlist).

Based on experience on hosting these past 3 months, I must say that the way that the hosting works is very annoying, you HAVE to close all slots and open 2 by 2 in order to get your map filled, and people get annoyed at you for doing that even though it's the only way to get a game starting.

Game list definitely needs some work, including removing previously hosted games (for some reason they appear in gray as "closed"), and have maps be on top of the List based on amount of REAL players in the game (don't count computers or closed slots/reserved), why would this help? because it would mean that hosting would work as a sort of "Queue" in which all maps get to be on top until they start, much more fair, and reduces the abuse (and how annoying it is) of closing/open slots.

Editor/Game:

• Remove doodad limit per map or increase it to JNGP levels.
    • Remove or increase NEUTRAL buildings limit to JNGP levels.
    • Object merger.
    • Colorizer or add native support for coloring in the editor.
    • GUI to just "hiding" a multiboard row (it still calculates and everything, so the logic keeps being simple, however it just doesn't show it, it takes a lot more effort and is much less beginner friendly to do a multiboard based on players in the game at every moment).
    • Modular UI
    • Add (maybe) the ability to migrate terrain from a map to another (or)
      migrate everything but the map to another map (including import routes)
      (We get an option to either mix the units with the ones already existing
      or replace them entirely).
    • Allow us to create custom unit race folders (abilities and other stuff too)
      and be able to right click copy/paste entire folders with races to duplicate them.
    • Give us the ability to add Attack/Defense types in addition to the ones already in-game, or at least at the very minimum add a couple extra Attack/Defense types that are "unused" (in case having a dynamic one would mess with too much stuff), so many maps would benefit from this.
    • Allow us to create folders for imports and such.
    • Reduce the amount of clicks needed per action in the world editor, this is due to the editor being made a long time ago, but you shouldn't have to double click to edit for example the import path but rather when you click on it the textbox becomes active, this would be much faster, also don't make the entire list go to the top once you import or change a path.
    • Add multiple importing, rather than have to import things one by one.
    • Add a repository or some kind of support (package manager) for extensions
      for the world editor, for example for stuff like optimizers and such.
    • Add HTTP requests natively, this would enable 1)Leaderboards, 2)Full character load/save for ORPGs and so on.
    • Remove the "100" base stat limit on heroes in regular world editor.
    • Allow us to play Music at 320KBPS/32 bit-float rather than have to use 128kbps/16 bit depth.
    • Show Ability/Unit etc IDs in the editor like JNGP does (or better).
    • Fix the bugs with the Sound editor in which imported music duplicates or triplicates(In view) when you edit path, until you restart the editor.
    • Allow Map Makers to decide if they allow the user to use the player's hotkeys of choice (from a hotkey editor/picker in-game based on the player's preference or the icon position), or the map's hotkeys.
    • (Maybe) Increase Attack Speed/Movement Speed limits (The map maker can choose to have them increased).
    • (Maybe) allow us to modify the minimap in-game (although this might be not possible).
    • (Maybe) allow us to add or remove water in-game.
    • (Maybe) add a more simple pathing system for bigger strategy maps that start having pathing issues once the map hits too many units.
    Other:

TriggerHappy made a fairly simple website that lists currently hosted games
    on battle.net, but I’m fairly sure it runs on a bot, if you guys could give us a simple
    API to bring currently hosted games so that users can Index them for a quicker
    way to get into games, it’d be amazing

Currently Hosted - Warcraft 3 Maps

(Maybe give him an API to load maps faster?)

=======
    This list is open for improvements, it will be expanded on new requests.

12. apsyll

apsyll

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Okay got another one:
    Code (vJASS):
    AddSpecialEffectTargetSpecialEffect( string "attachmend point", effect "targetSpecialEffect", string"SpecialEffectPath.mdl" )

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Custom lightning models for the chain FX since we can only choose from the game's (e.g.: finger of death, healing wave etc.).

14. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I just had this issue today, wanted to make an arcane spell based on forked lightning and couldn't

15. jakeZinc

jakeZinc

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I don't know if it is a bug and I would like to report this because it causes us trouble in creating an AI map especially when the AI or computer player is working with dummy units...

Dummy units have locust ability which means they are designed to be uncontrollable by the user. Human players cannot control them but why the computer players can?

I also know that we have remedies for this one but it is not convenient to do them unless there's a reliable fix for it.

You can check on these threads:
    [General] - AI controls locust unit
    Dummy Units for Computer Players get unwanted orders
    [Help] Not allow the computer to use the dummy units (for spells)
    Dummies Ignoring Orders when owned by Computer
    [Trigger] - Triggerred Spell Works... except when a computer uses it?
    [AI] - AI Computer Players can't execute a spell properly with dummy

To be more specific,
    - AI sometimes can manipulate the locust swarm ability's units.
    * I've already encountered this on melee games where the Crypt Lord uses it.

- AI interrupts the casting of a dummy unit.
    * It seems that they are ordering it to move or stop.

- AI can mess your dummy unit's abilities especially autocasts (ex. Bloodlust)
    * It seems that they are using it based on their given AI tactical orders and ignores/breaks my triggered order.

etc...

In other words, I want the AI to completely disable its FULL control to their owned units that have locust ability so it will not cause those problems that are stated from above.

I'm hoping for this to be acknowledged somehow (although it's been a decade tho) and looking forward to be fixed on the newer patches =)

16. Retera

Retera

Tool Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:

As shown in this video, it took me 10 minutes to add new custom folders to the Object Editor.
    If I can do it in 10 minutes at 4 am, Blizzard should be able to do it in 5 minutes during the day with a trained engineer.

So this feature is a must for Reforged unless anyone can prove otherwise.

17. loktar

loktar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not sure if this thread is still being maintained, but here's my suggestion:

Custom global scripts/triggers for custom Campaign files. This would eliminate the need to add certain systems, libraries, etc. in each individual map.

18. Yogi-Sothoth

Yogi-Sothoth

Resources:
    Resources:
    A option/mode to make a map with:
    WASD movement
    Single unit control
    but still have access to mouse

19. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't think it is. That's probably why @Darklycan51 opened another one some time ago, but it got closed. Can the opening post be given to someone willing to keep this up to date?