• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Favorite WC3 unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Ok guys, I wonder...
Which is your favorite War Craft 3/Frozen Throne unit at all?
Non Hero unit of course, from level 1-10 and why. How are you using it? Or why for it can be used, why for do you like it? (it can be neutral unit too)

For me... I have few favorite units, but my most favorite is Doom Guard.
That is heavy multi purpose unit, which we encounter lot in campaigns,and can use it if we are Pit Lords or via custom maps.
Doom guard is one of very few exceptional cases which is melee unit but can shoot in air as well. He is level 8, has chaos damage, has resistant Skin to make him immune to certain spells and decrease duration of negative spells. Has Rain of fire, to bombard buildings or group of units from air (which I barely use), has war stomp, to shock units around doom guard on 3 seconds, has cripple, and Dispel magic...

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
For me... I have few favorite units, but my most favorite is Doom Guard.
That is heavy multi purpose unit, which we encounter lot in campaigns,and can use it if we are Pit Lords or via custom maps.
Doom guard is one of very few exceptional cases which is melee unit but can shoot in air as well. He is level 8, has chaos damage, has resistant Skin to make him immune to certain spells and decrease duration of negative spells. Has Rain of fire, to bombard buildings or group of units from air (which I barely use), has war stomp, to shock units around doom guard on 3 seconds, has cripple, and Dispel magic...

Second that. Doom guards are also the only Demon units, in my opinion, that really look like they actually belong to something that can be called a "Legion" but still has demonic standards. They really look like they're part of an organized army.

Level 34
Shar Dundred, yeah, but his ground damage is kinda weak for level 8. His air damage is bigger than ground damage. Also he has just regular HP regenerations and speed, nothing fancy. But his abilities are awesome although Rain of Fire could be enhanced to attack trees and bigger damage since its pretty useless to me.
About Demonic appearance. Yeah man, they are red, big, have wings, sword with demonic fire... Perfectly looking demon. Diablo looks awesome too, Eredars, Pit Lords....

Archim-- wait, non-hero unit? Then my vote goes to Naga Royal Guard, Doom Guards and Frost Wryms.

They are powerful, Naga Royal Guard deal chaos damage and cast some beautiful spells.

Doom Guard looks awesome, has decent spells and is perfect anti-air unit.

Frost Wrym can just freeze buildings and deal insane amount of damage. Wait, does Sapphiron count?

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

I prefer the Abominations. Lots of health, damage, and, of course, disease clouds ^^

Level 15
Dryad_WoW_.png

Dryads, lots of dryads are the awesome thingy :D

Level 34
I just tested my Doom guard vs various creatures level 7,8, and9 and some others.
Well 1 vs 1 is just one of aspects, there are spells, anti air abilities, anti spell casters, team support etc etc...

Doom Guard against:

Level 8 creatures as himself:
Fulborg Ursa Warrior - win
Centaur Khan - Defeat
Berserk Wildkin - Defeat (although depends of luck because of bash chance)
Infernal Machine - Win
Maiden of Pain - Equal (Always defeat unless you do combo without wrong move, then you kill her)
Infernal - Defeat
Dark Wizard - Win
Berserk Elemental - Defeat (Elemental will left on 15 HP, which is one hit, so it takes advantage of ranged attack to run away and fire from distance when on low health, otherwice it would lose)
Blue Dragonspawn Overseer - Win
Faceless One Terror - Win
Magnataur Reaver - Defeat
Dire Mammoth - Defeat (but Mammoth left at 40 HP which means one or two hits left)
Polar Fulborg Elder Shaman - Win
Polar Fulborg Ursa Warrior - win
Ice Revenant - Defeat (Revenant will be left at 120HP)
Sea Giant Behemoth - Win (Doom Guard will wim him and be alive at 760HP)
Revenant of the Depth - Win
Skeletal orc Champion - Win (Doom Guard will wim him and be alive at 775HP)

Level 7 creatures:
Fulborg Champion - Win
Fulborg Elder Shaman - Win
Harpy Queen - Win
Razormane Chieftain - Win
Fel Ravager - Win (it has devour magic, so cripple wont work, but I used War Stomps instead)
Bandit Lord - Win (he has shadowmeld so you cant see him. Also he uses divine shield so run away until it wears off)
Salamander Vizier - Win
Nerubian Queen - Win
Tuskarr Chieftain - Win
Ogre Lord - Win
Wendigo shaman - Equal (You can win always if you do not miss one move in certain tactic, otherwice you lose)
Gargantuan Sea Turtle - Equal (You can win always if you do not miss one move in certain tactic, otherwice you lose)
Murgul Shadowcaster - Win
Macura Tidal Lord - Win
Elder Hydra - Win
Sasquatch Oracle - Equal (You can win always if you do not miss one move in certain tactic, otherwice you lose)

Level 9 creatures:
Ancient Sasquatch - Defeat (Sasquatch is left at 75HP)
Elder Voidwalker - Defeat (Void is left at 522HP, cripple is not working because he has devour magic)
Eredar Warlock - Defeat (When he is at 80HP left, he activates mana shield, and attacks me several times until kills me)
Death Revenant - Defeat (Revenant is left at 345 HP)
Siege Golem - Defeat (Golem is left at 365 HP, its immune to spells so I could not throw anything)
Storm Wyrm - Defeat (Wyrm is left at 120HP)
Granite Golem - Defeat (Golem is left at half, immune to magic)
Satyr Hellcaller - Equal (Satyr is left at 70HP when win, I can beat him with correct tactic)
Ancient Wendigo - Defeat (Wendigo is left at 325HP)
StormReaver Warlock - Defeat (Warlock is left at 176HP)
Enraged Jungle beast - Defeat (Jungle Beast is left at 210HP)

Others:
Knight (fully upgraded) - Win (just do one cripple and he is done)
Tauren (fully upgraded) - Win (just do one cripple and he is done)
Abomination (fully upgraded) - Win (just do one cripple and he is done)
Mountain Giant (fully upgraded) - Win (you need to cripple him three times, then to do war stomp)
Hydralisk - Win (Defeat unless you do at least one cripple at him)
Stonemaul Magi (level 7) from Campaign - Win
Beast Master's Spirit bear (leveled 3) - Win
Naga Royal Guard - Defeat

So as you can see, he is able to beat every level 7 unit, most of level 8, but can't kill level 9, but can leave them on low red HP.

Level 34
Yeah, i tested lot. But those are just stock tested 1 vs 1 which is not something which should be 100% correct as I played against AI (he is using all unit abilities which he calculated that will do some effect against me), and it may vary if play against human, but still, those tests are something which should be base or orientation about ingame powers of certain units.
I found perhaps accidental bug regarding doom guard.
As we all know, there are close fighters and range fighters. So if same level, close fighters are stronger because ranged ones shoot at air, and shoot ground units from distance, therefore no need to be stuck in group fights. So, meele damage should be powerful.
We have situations that unit can have primary and secondary damage. Primary against land and secondary which is weaker, against air.
Doom guard is exceptional case. It is meele unit, which attacks air units from distance. But problem is that primary damage is ranged, while secondary is meele. But primary is bigger than secondary which is very dumb. Why would use weaker sword to close fight when you can shoot from distance demonic fires with greater damage as you are already doing against air targets? This simply makes no sense. I assume that Blizzard accidentally switched primary/secondary. They wanted primary to be ground melee with higher damage, while secondary is ranged attack which is slightly weaker, but ended up differently. So you have more powerful doom guard versus air than versus ground. Second attack is useless, they could just remove it, so ranged attack which is more powerful to be able to fire at both ground and air targets. This will result me destroying more enemies while tests....

Level 21
In a map made by a friend of mine there are some special units called Ancient City Guards. There's one per "city" and cities give large bonuses if you control them. Initially, control is achieved by killing the Guard.
However, those guards are retardedly strong, so I teleported myself behind inside the city walls and poked the guardian with 2 units for a very long time.
The friend of mine that had made the map had an invisible scout unit near the town. When the invisibility wore off, the Guardian used flame strike on my hero.

tl;dr - Flame strike doesn't care about how many units will be hit, only how many are near.(3)

Level 21
Well lets be fair here, not like most of those neutral units have that many tactical abilities. Sure ranged units could most likely be used to dance around Doom Guard but he gets cripple and stomp to counter them. And as Doom Guard is level 8 creep, spells have hero duration on him, he has weak anti-magic passive to prevent the worst spells and can actual dispel enemy debuffs and buffs (I assume that Wendigo Shaman and Sasquatrch Oracle only stood a chance because of rejuvenation not getting removed). In any case Doom Guard is an excellent unit.

Also noticed that Doom summon version has 1600hp while regular has 1350hp. As for ranged attack being higher I am inclined to agree with Xonok. If he was ranged anyway than his war stomp wouldn't be as useful in RTS environment as it is now. Doom Guards are summoned units that at Least I use to cause chaos in enemy ranks by stunning melee troops so my army can target them.

Level 34
Xonok, VeljkoM, I played hours and hours with Doom Guard. its not same as you are talking about.
War Storm is indeed useful against group of units but when there are footmans, Archers Ghouls or any weak level 1 or 2 units. I tested against powerful units, Cripple on Level 8 is only few seconds, not 60 seconds! (as more higher level unit is, lower duration of effect is).
War stomp is not stunning them for 3 seconds, but only for one. His abilities do not work very well against same levelled units.
Also, you cannot always depend on war storm since you can left without mana, some units may do mana burn, or you can be silenced.
Also, Shadow Strike from Maiden of Pain cannot be dispelled, war stomp worked only against her to cancel life drain, otherwice she would kill me with that.
Dispel Magic only worked against rejuvenation and Freenzy. And against summoned units such as Water elemental.
Yes, Ressurection units always beat me because they revives with full HP and mana. Also spell immunity units such as Golems, Magnataurs and some other is pain in ass since Doom Guard's abilities are useless.
VeljkoM, yeah I tested original 1350HP as we encounter them in many missions, I did not test that 1600HP version of Pit Lord.
Also, when faced high level unit, you cannot use all cripple, war storm and dispel few times. You only have 500 mana. You can do cripple 3 times, to cripple Level 8 unit for about 15 seconds. It costs 175 mana, Dispel is I think 75, War stomp 90 and rain of fire is 125. So you need to calculate. I found it useful in some cases, but rain of fire is completely useles to me. It cannot damage trees at least, and can actually damage my doomguard if I throw spell nearby.

Magnataur Reaver is much more powerful than Doom Guard as it is level 8 unit, but with him I beat any Level 8 unit except Infernal, and any Level 9 units except Ancient Sasquatch, Acient Vendigo and Granite Golem. I even beat that metalic siege golem!
Vendigo and Sasquatch have Ressurection, and granite golem is spell immune and has more HP, Armor and Damage than Magnataur. other units are done.

Magnataur Reaver has 1500 HP, 2 Heavy Armor, 350 mana, 54-61 chaos melee damage, 41-45 ranged chaos damage, spell immunity and Frost Bolt spell (which can be thrown at enemy 5 times before left Magnataur completely off mana. it deals 100 damage and stuns unit for 5 seconds). So he is perfect 1 vs 1 fighter, yet has secondary weapon to shoot at air. I beat any level 8 and 9 unit except those 4.

Level 21
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Xonok, VeljkoM, I played hours and hours with Doom Guard. its not same as you are talking about.

What exactly is problem with what Xonok said?
1. Can War Stomp be used on Air units? It can't;
2. Can you stun and attack melee units? You can;
= Better damage against air units to compensate for the lack of stun against air units. Unlike the other creep units you can get Doom Guard in melee game so he had more attention in balance department.

What was problem with what I said? I said it was excellent unit. And you keep telling me about how spell duration is reduced when I already said I was aware ("spells have hero duration on him"). All units above level 5 and Heroes have same magic reduction.

War Storm is indeed useful against group of units but when there are footmen, Archers, Ghouls or any weak level 1 or 2 units. I tested against powerful units, Cripple on Level 8 is only few seconds, not 60 seconds! (as more higher level unit is, lower duration of effect is).
War stomp is not stunning them for 3 seconds, but only for one. His abilities do not work very well against same leveled units. Also, you cannot always depend on war storm since you can left without mana, some units may do mana burn, or you can be silenced.

I only mentioned war stomp being used to counter range unit kitting and in melee gameplay where faction units are all below level 5 (knights, abominations, tauren are all low level units actually). Yes what you say is obvious and nobody said anything against it, especially from 1v1 perspective but 1v1 perspective isn't good way to judge a unit in an army. I would still pick Doom Guard in my army than most of the units that can defeat in 1v1 combat because Doom Guard can benefit your army.

Also, Shadow Strike from Maiden of Pain cannot be dispelled, war stomp worked only against her to cancel life drain, otherwise she would kill me with that.

To be honest there is also the running away option I believe for life drain. At least that is what I do always.

Dispel Magic only worked against rejuvenation and Freenzy. And against summoned units such as Water elemental.

In your 1v1 tests yeah only on those spells. Doom Guard still also has the hero duration reduction on all spells and even full immunity to some spells (not all units you tested have that passive). So in anti-magic regard it still better unit than most from the list. Now put these attributes in actual melee game? Useful.

Yes, Resurrection units always beat me because they revives with full HP and mana. Also spell immunity units such as Golems, Magnataurs and some other is pain in ass since Doom Guard's abilities are useless.

Yes those units are better in 1v1 situation no arguing there. Magnataurs are insane especially.

Also, when faced high level unit, you cannot use all cripple, war storm and dispel few times. You only have 500 mana. You can do cripple 3 times, to cripple Level 8 unit for about 15 seconds. It costs 175 mana, Dispel is I think 75, War stomp 90 and rain of fire is 125. So you need to calculate. I found it useful in some cases, but rain of fire is completely useless to me. It cannot damage trees at least, and can actually damage my doomguard if I throw spell nearby.
Yeah he requires strategic thinking. I am unsure if cripple is worth using on heroic creeps as it lasts 10 seconds (no not 15), it was more designed to be aimed at tier 3 units or fleeing heroes. Warstomp as you show is more mana friendly and even 1 second stun is welcomed. Rain of Fire is not to be used ever at all on single units, I can't really imagine situation where it would want to use it since I want Doom Guard on the front and not in background.

Conclusion (Or TL:DR): I do not deny what you say. I just say that if we put Doom Guards Attributes in actual gameplay I think you'll get better results, compared to 1v1 combat. It isn't most powerful unit, but sure is dependable unit.

PS: Also I would test summoned Doom Guard as it is the one you can use in game.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
All units above level 5 and Heroes have same magic reduction.

Really? As far as I know, the reason for the magic reduction is the Resistant Skin ability. Are you sure that the level has an impact as well? I can't say that I noticed any difference on spell damage because of the level.
But yes, heroes take less damage due to spells, though, since their hero armor reduces it.

Level 34
What we have here is failure to communicate.
No problem, some small misunderstanding.

What exactly is problem with what Xonok said?
What was problem with what I said?
You are problem, its all your fault. You should die in hell, or get burned at first nearby tree and your ashes should be scattered around.
MUahahaha I am joking man :cgrin:

1. Can War Stomp be used on Air units? It can't;
2. Can you stun and attack melee units? You can;
= Better damage against air units to compensate for the lack of stun against air units. Unlike the other creep units you can get Doom Guard in melee game so he had more attention in balance department.
I said it was excellent unit.
No, it is fact. you can do that, I just though that you two were telling me that this can be done in my case, since I wrote on list that I tested that in 1 vs 1 fight. I missunderstood that you were talking globally about what he can do.

And you keep telling me about how spell duration is reduced when I already said I was aware ("spells have hero duration on him").
Yes, but I was talking on both Level 8 plus Resisant skin. I do not know if you meant on both of those or just one of that (either high level or resisant skin) because both of those reduces effect.
Honestly I do notk now if those two are combined at all. What do you think?

All units above level 5 and Heroes have same magic reduction.
I did not know that. I though that All units from level 6 and up have greater magic reduction as their level is higher.

But there are some cases. Hydralisk for example is level 7, but I think (although I need to check) that cripple lasts more.
That is why cripple is dangerous to player's units since all of them are from level 1-5, nevermind how they are powerful.
Tauren is most powerful ground unit which player can train, but cripple works for him full duration, therefore you can easily kill him.

I only mentioned war stomp being used to counter range unit kitting and in melee gameplay where faction units are all below level 5 (knights, abominations, tauren are all low level units actually).
That is completely true.it is why is this designed for. Secondary function is to cancel some spells which requires long of time to be casted, like drains and ultimate abilities.

Yes what you say is obvious and nobody said anything against it, especially from 1v1 perspective but 1v1 perspective isn't good way to judge a unit in an army.
Yeah, that was just testing 1 vs 1 out of curiosity to see how would it stand against other same leveled (+-1level) units.
if you remember from my big post where is list ,,Well 1 vs 1 is just one of aspects, there are spells, anti air abilities, anti spell casters, team support etc etc..." which I assumed that this is just one of aspects. You also need to test other apects of game such as how is that unit behaving in groups, is it helpful, can it support nearby units (aura, damage increase buffs or in this case, dispel magic and war stomp), can it shoot air, how vulnerable is it etc etc... so, overall its very difficult to test it all.

I would still pick Doom Guard in my army than most of the units that can defeat in 1v1 combat because Doom Guard can benefit your army.
Of course, thats why it is my favorite unit. As I tried to explain and prove, Doom is designed mostly for spell casting and supporting some other units. But I tried to see if it can beat other units with those spells regarding his weak damage for his level. And I was surprised that I could beat most of them.
But honestly, once you are done with some unit, dom is pretty much useless. he is without mana, you are in trouble to renew it. (mana is more difficult to regeain than HP).
Undeads can replanish him mana with that Statue. How can he get mana in other way aside from fountain?
But for groups you are right. War stomp, plus dispel, plus cripple if needed, plus awesome damage vs air units (he can also cripple air unit), plus 1350 or 1600 HP which can take good amount of damage....

To be honest there is also the running away option I believe for life drain. At least that is what I do always.
Yes but you cannot escape in 1 vs 1 because Doom is slow and meele, life drain has its range 500, so even if you manage to escape, you will be at low health, and do not forget that doom is little slower than standard units.
When I fight against Maiden of Pain level 8, she activates life drain when she is on lower health (but cause she is about same as me), I am also on low health, so she drains me, and heals her, so I cannot get to escape on time, even if I do, she has ranged attack, she can run and shoot me.
But again, this is on 1 vs 1. You can run away from it in group.

In your 1v1 tests yeah only on those spells. Doom Guard still also has the hero duration reduction on all spells and even full immunity to some spells (not all units you tested have that passive). So in anti-magic regard it still better unit than most from the list.
Yeah.... But I do not know exactly what on is he immune completely.
What do you think?
As far I know, he cannot be shoot down by death coil from skeletal orc, but that can be also due that he is classified as demon (and they are similar as undeads).
I heard, Shar Dundred probably told me that spell immune is not protecting from Charm, but resisant skin does, thats why they put that to Doom and Infernal (aside from his spell immunity)
Some units also have that reisant skin, I cannot remember exactly who.
That naga Royal Guard, Infernal....

Now put these attributes in actual melee game? Useful.

Yes those units are better in 1v1 situation no arguing there. Magnataurs are insane especially.
I think that Magnataur Reaver is overpowered.... That spell immunity combined with high damage, hit points, frost bolt and anti air ability is indeed insane as you said. I think he can clear not just any fighter units, but spellcasters as well.

Yeah he requires strategic thinking. I am unsure if cripple is worth using on heroic creeps as it lasts 10 seconds (no not 15), it was more designed to be aimed at tier 3 units or fleeing heroes.
Oh my bad, I though that cooldown of cripple is 5 seconds, so I said 15 because all three can be casted before doom is without mana. I just checked, you are right, cooldown is 10, and it lasts 10 seconds.
6 times smaller.

Warstomp as you show is more mana friendly and even 1 second stun is welcomed.
Yes, it helped me out in some cases, especially to cancel life drain from Maiden of Pain because she is draining lot.
I also used massive war stomps against Fel Ravager which is level 7 and has devour magic. So rapidly war stomps can help.

Rain of Fire is not to be used ever at all on single units, I can't really imagine situation where it would want to use it since I want Doom Guard on the front and not in background.
i tried to use it on That turtle level 7 because as meele, doom guard suffers back damage from its spikes, so I tried to avoid that and save him as much more is possible. But failed. I remember AI Doom guard is using rain of fire at groups of my units. I am using it at some Orcs buildings if they are upgraded with those spikes.

Conclusion (Or TL:DR): I do not deny what you say. I just say that if we put Doom Guards Attributes in actual gameplay I think you'll get better results, compared to 1v1 combat. It isn't most powerful unit, but sure is dependable unit.
Yeah I totally agree on that.

PS: Also I would test summoned Doom Guard as it is the one you can use in game.

Really? As far as I know, the reason for the magic reduction is the Resistant Skin ability. Are you sure that the level has an impact as well? I can't say that I noticed any difference on spell damage because of the level.
But yes, heroes take less damage due to spells, though, since their hero armor reduces it.
I do not know if its combined with Resisant skin, but level indeed reduces duration of negative spells. I tested with any level 7, 8 and 9 units cripple and it lasts 10 seconds. And only few units have resisant skin

Doom guard can hurt flying unit with rain of fire...
Really? I did not know that, interesting! But it lasts in waves, Ai will move air unit after first wave, so very little of damage can be done in that way

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Yes, but I was talking on both Level 8 plus Resisant skin. I do not know if you meant on both of those or just one of that (either high level or resisant skin) because both of those reduces effect.
Honestly I do notk now if those two are combined at all. What do you think?

Although I never knew about the fact that increased level also means less spell damage (will test that myself, to actually believe it^^), but I think that if so, they'd be combined.

But honestly, once you are done with some unit, dom is pretty much useless. he is without mana, you are in trouble to renew it. (mana is more difficult to regeain than HP).
Undeads can replanish him mana with that Statue. How can he get mana in other way aside from fountain?
But for groups you are right. War stomp, plus dispel, plus cripple if needed, plus awesome damage vs air units (he can also cripple air unit), plus 1350 or 1600 HP which can take good amount of damage....

I don't really agree on that. Even without mana, a Doom Guard is still pretty powerful. Also, the Mana Regeneration of a Doom is 1.25 per second, a fully upgraded spellcaster has 1.33, so his regeneration is not THAT slow, actually, even though most of the spells need lots of mana.

Yeah.... But I do not know exactly what on is he immune completely.
What do you think?
As far I know, he cannot be shoot down by death coil from skeletal orc, but that can be also due that he is classified as demon (and they are similar as undeads).
I heard, Shar Dundred probably told me that spell immune is not protecting from Charm, but resisant skin does, thats why they put that to Doom and Infernal (aside from his spell immunity)
Some units also have that reisant skin, I cannot remember exactly who.
That naga Royal Guard, Infernal....

Resistant Skin makes immune to some spells like, as already mentioned, Charm and I think it also makes immune to Soul Burn and Sleep, not sure but I AM sure that it makes immune to some spells.

I think that Magnataur Reaver is overpowered.... That spell immunity combined with high damage, hit points, frost bolt and anti air ability is indeed insane as you said. I think he can clear not just any fighter units, but spellcasters as well.

I think it'd be interesting to see how the most Magnataur would do against the other creeps. I wouldn't be surprised if the strongest one (Magnataur Destroyer) would win against all other lvl 10 creeps. Actually, I wonder if the Reaver would be able to kill a lvl 10 dragon. Wouldn't be much of a surprise, actually, he's pretty damn strong.

Really? I did not know that, interesting! But it lasts in waves, Ai will move air unit after first wave, so very little of damage can be done in that way

Yeah, but you could say the same about ground units. ;)

Level 34
Although I never knew about the fact that increased level also means less spell damage (will test that myself, to actually believe it^^), but I think that if so, they'd be combined.
Go and do cripple to Maiden of Pain for example, or any level 8 units.
Then go do cripple on Tauren for example. And see differences.

I don't really agree on that. Even without mana, a Doom Guard is still pretty powerful. Also, the Mana Regeneration of a Doom is 1.25 per second, a fully upgraded spellcaster has 1.33, so his regeneration is not THAT slow, actually, even though most of the spells need lots of mana.
Zeah true that. Just checked. He has 1.50, only rare level 8 usints have that mana regenration, and level 10.
But he has decent HP regeneration 0.50
So have 0.75. Infernal for example has 1.0

But how can you regenerate his mana aside from fountain of mana and Undead statue? I remmeber that some scroll of mana can be found or bought.

Resistant Skin makes immune to some spells like, as already mentioned, Charm and I think it also makes immune to Soul Burn and Sleep, not sure but I AM sure that it makes immune to some spells.
Of course it is. We must check out that. Tell me list about spells which zou are suspicious, then I will put list on some units and try to cripple neutral doom guard to see what he is immune on.

I think it'd be interesting to see how the most Magnataur would do against the other creeps. I wouldn't be surprised if the strongest one (Magnataur Destroyer) would win against all other lvl 10 creeps. Actually, I wonder if the Reaver would be able to kill a lvl 10 dragon. Wouldn't be much of a surprise, actually, he's pretty damn strong.
I just tested. level 10 green Dragon kills Magnataur and is left at 1325 HP, something like that, little more than half strenght. Dragons are powerful.

Yeah, but you could say the same about ground units. ;)
Ground units can be stuck too, but yeah you have point. So this ability is for not moving targets or slow ones. Buildings and artilleries.

Level 21
To avoid the quote madness I started...

---------------- About Spell Effectiveness --------------

Actually duration of spell is determined in the actual spell statistics. You have all noticed that literally every spell has unit and hero duration. And in all cases unit duration is longer. For example Cripple has "Stats-Unit-Duration = 60" and "Stats-Hero-Duration = 10". That means Creeps above level 5 (and heroes at all levels) only suffer 10 seconds. There is no difference between levels 6,7,8,9,10.
(Bonus Info: High Level Creeps actually have smarter AI that aims weaker units, regular creeps aim closest)

Resistant Skin I am now sure works by applying this same resistance to the unit BUT I doubt it stacks. Reason why doom guard has it is probably to make him immune to instant kill abilities (though most by default don't work above level 5 anyway). EDIT: Regarding which spells I am wiling to bet its Charm, Polymorph, Possess and probably buffs (Definitely not soul burn though). Spell is for Mountain Giant anyway who is regular unit.

As for damage I don't think there is actually any reduction at all. I don't see any Spell Damage reduction in Game Constants for hero armor (Magic and Spell damage are not related).

----------------Doom Guard----------------

*Rain of Fire (Doom Guard uses Rain of Fire 2)
It damages 25 HP per wave and you get 6 waves. So that is 150 damage if unit stands still (do they ever?). As for buildings its halved. Too high Mana Cost and long period of time to develop damage really hurt this spell. Yeah some units return damage but honestly better spam stun and endure return damage than stand still casting while enemy attacks. Wouldn't even use it on burrows unless no enemy unit was left standing.

Oh and targeting Air Units? They lack coalition and can't be trapped like mass of ground units can. Not to mention that heavy hitting Air Units don't even need to move as they are strong enough to endure.

*Regarding mana issue usually you don't think about it as Doom Guard is summon. You can though also use Brilliance Aura (Ability or Item) and Siphon Mana if you really want to increase regeneration. But anyway you just have to be careful, don't cast Rain of Fire, don't waste Cripple on units that will resist effect etc...

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Go and do cripple to Maiden of Pain for example, or any level 8 units.
Then go do cripple on Tauren for example. And see differences.

Will do that.

Yeah true that. Just checked. He has 1.50, only rare level 8 usints have that mana regenration, and level 10.
But he has decent HP regeneration 0.50
So have 0.75. Infernal for example has 1.0

But how can you regenerate his mana aside from fountain of mana and Undead statue? I remmeber that some scroll of mana can be found or bought.

Yes, also Siphon Mana can be modified to be able to transfer mana from a unit to another unit, so the Bloodmage could help out Dooms as well. Otherwise, I don't think so that there are any more means to regenerate mana faster.

Of course it is. We must check out that. Tell me list about spells which zou are suspicious, then I will put list on some units and try to cripple neutral doom guard to see what he is immune on.

Well, according to VeljkoM, Soul Burn works, but I'm pretty sure about Sleep and most spells that only affect one unit and disable spell casting or are powerful. Finger of Death doesn't work on units with Res. Skin either.

I just tested. level 10 green Dragon kills Magnataur and is left at 1325 HP, something like that, little more than half strenght. Dragons are powerful.

Okay, I wonder what's with the Destroyer.

Ground units can be stuck too, but yeah you have point. So this ability is for not moving targets or slow ones. Buildings and artilleries.

That's the problem that has Flame Strike, in my opinion. It deals more damage, yes, but it also destroys obstacles like trees that would otherwise block the unit's path.

Level 34
VeljkoM, oh that was very professionaly explained.

Shar Dundred, VeljkoM, guys, I wonder this all time, I need your suggestions.
Should be Doom Guard updated with Frozen Throne with newer more demonic abilities?
He has Dispel Magic which is holy ability, not demonic. In wow wikia it says ,,Dispel Magic is a priest ability", so there is no way that demon can have that. Other use abolish magic, etc etc...
I think Blizzard added to him that in ROC before Undead/Demonic ability is created in Frozen Throne, Devour Magic which Obsidian Destroyer, Void Walker and Fel Beasts are using. But they should update Doom with that too.
Also that bloody rain of fire should be enhanced to damage trees at least. You see that doom guard is using spell animations specifically when casting rain of fire as he was designed for it.
Same as Doom has cripple alongside with Fel orc Warlocks and nether Dragons. I suppose that he or some of them should get Soul Burn which is suitable demonic ability.
For me, its better than cripple, but its questionable. But again, those abilities which firelord is using are designed after Frozen Throne when demons were created, so nobody got updated.
be note, that in last Orc mission in ROC, when you fight against Chaos Orcs, Doom guards and Fel Beasts get true sight ability. They do not have that naturally, because of second night elf mission when Tyrande is actually using shadowmeld to hide from doom guards. Then they were using Shades for that. But for unknown reason, in that orc mission, dooms got true sight themselves.

Shar Dundred, VeljkoM, I will check out some abilities which works or not working on resisant skin.

Shar Dundred, magnataur Destroyer vs green Dragon results in Magnataur dead. Dragon os left only at 230 HP, which means very few shots, two maybe, I do not know.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Shar Dundred, VeljkoM, guys, I wonder this all time, I need your suggestions.
Should be Doom Guard updated with Frozen Throne with newer more demonic abilities?

It should, yes.

He has Dispel Magic which is holy ability, not demonic. In wow wikia it says ,,Dispel Magic is a priest ability", so there is no way that demon can have that. Other use abolish magic, etc etc...
I think Blizzard added to him that in ROC before Undead/Demonic ability is created in Frozen Throne, Devour Magic which Obsidian Destroyer, Void Walker and Fel Beasts are using. But they should update Doom with that too.
Also that bloody rain of fire should be enhanced to damage trees at least. You see that doom guard is using spell animations specifically when casting rain of fire as he was designed for it.

Doom with Devour Magic might be too powerful, though. Consider him getting both hit points and mana restored such an easy way. He'd be absolutely OP, imo.

Same as Doom has cripple alongside with Fel orc Warlocks and nether Dragons. I suppose that he or some of them should get Soul Burn which is suitable demonic ability.
For me, its better than cripple, but its questionable. But again, those abilities which firelord is using are designed after Frozen Throne when demons were created, so nobody got updated.

While I agree that Soul Burn seems to be more demonic and is also useful, I still prefer Cripple. Soul Burn prevents casting spells, deals damage and decreases the attack speed of the target unit, Cripple reduces damage, movement and attack speed. A unit that has been crippled cannot run away and isn't even close to be as powerful as before. As you pointed out before, Cripple helped a LOT in dealing with some of the units in your testing. Against spellcasters like the Eredar Warlock, Soul Burn would perhaps have been more useful, but against any non-caster unit, Cripple is much more effective.

be note, that in last Orc mission in ROC, when you fight against Chaos Orcs, Doom guards and Fel Beasts get true sight ability. They do not have that naturally, because of second night elf mission when Tyrande is actually using shadowmeld to hide from doom guards. Then they were using Shades for that. But for unknown reason, in that orc mission, dooms got true sight themselves.

I think they just added it because they didn't want players to be able to run through unnoticed to catch Grom. No lore reasons, I guess.

Shar Dundred, magnataur Destroyer vs green Dragon results in Magnataur dead. Dragon os left only at 230 HP, which means very few shots, two maybe, I do not know.

Okay, that actually surprises me. Perhaps it's like with the Doom and the Maiden of Pain, though, and depends on both luck and attention.

Level 34
Doom with Devour Magic might be too powerful, though. Consider him getting both hit points and mana restored such an easy way. He'd be absolutely OP, imo.
I would like to see him with devour magic, fits better hehe.

While I agree that Soul Burn seems to be more demonic and is also useful, I still prefer Cripple. Soul Burn prevents casting spells, deals damage and decreases the attack speed of the target unit, Cripple reduces damage, movement and attack speed. A unit that has been crippled cannot run away and isn't even close to be as powerful as before. As you pointed out before, Cripple helped a LOT in dealing with some of the units in your testing. Against spellcasters like the Eredar Warlock, Soul Burn would perhaps have been more useful, but against any non-caster unit, Cripple is much more effective.
That depends of what stats soul burn has. No unit has such ability, but lets say that it is same as firelord level 1, since I believe that unit abilities are from heroes level 1.
I just checked.
Soul Burn cooldown is 12 seconds, Cripple is 10
Soul Burn duration is 14 seconds, against hero is 6, Cripple is 60, against hero is 10
Soul Burn mana cost is 85, Cripple is 175
Soul Burn Range is 700, cripple is 600
Rest of statistics we know:
Cripple reduces damage, movement and attack speed. And lasts long, and 2 seconds faster cooldown. But takes lot of mana.
Soul Burn reduces damage, prevents unit from casting spells, cancels if unit is already doing spell, deals 7 damage per second for 14 seconds. But costs double less mana and has bigger range so it will fire faster.

You have point here anyway, that really depends in which situations are you using what. Against melee, cripple, against spell casters, soul burn. If I need to chose, I would use soul burn for any case.

But my point is that three units there are using Cripple. One should be replaced for Soul Burn.

I think they just added it because they didn't want players to be able to run through unnoticed to catch Grom. No lore reasons, I guess.
Yes, I think that too. Although they should use again Shades or something new.

Regarding abilities and Resistant Skin:
I put on unit Sleep, FInger of Pain, Finger of Death, Entagling Roots, Soul Burn, Charm (which can turn level 10) and Silence.

Sleep works on Doom Guard
Finger of Pain/Death can't
Entagling Roots can't
Soul Burn works
Charm can't
Silence works.
Anything else to test? Any ability which you suspect?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
But my point is that three units there are using Cripple. One should be replaced for Soul Burn.

While the choice between Cripple and Soul Burn is more of a personal preference, I agree on that. Or they could've created a new ability as well.

Yes, I think that too. Although they should use again Shades or something new.

Yes, totally agreed.
It seems like they really wanted the player to kill these Demons, and not just kill the Shade and run past them the Demons.

Regarding abilities and Resistant Skin:
I put on unit Sleep, FInger of Pain, Finger of Death, Entagling Roots, Soul Burn, Charm (which can turn level 10) and Silence.

Sleep works on Doom Guard
Finger of Pain/Death can't
Entagling Roots can't
Soul Burn works
Charm can't
Silence works.
Anything else to test? Any ability which you suspect?

Interesting.
Just remembered something:
I'm 100% sure that Doom doesn't work either. I once tried to use Doom on an enemy Doomguard, didn't work because of Resistant Skin.
I'm not sure if Resistant Skin protects from Parasite.

Level 21
Well if Doom Guard was designed as RPG Hero then Soul Burn would definitely be better. But usefulness of cripple comes from duration and high mana cost as balance. If Soulburn was made to be used by unit it would probably face same treatment and not just be version of level 1 Hero ability.

Regarding Dispel honestly forget what wiki says. If anything it should be Arcane branch of magic and the one Doom Guard uses is probably that. Dispel is just generic AoE anti-magic ability, they were just lazy to make it different from priests ability because in RoC blizzard didn't really care about units you couldn't use in melee. That is why RoC Heroes lack birth quote, orc warlocks have rather unimaginative spells etc. In TFT they had remembered to rename Dispel for Orcs at least.

About Resistant Skin I am surprised about entangling roots unless it was neutral hostile ability as that one doesn't effect heroes (or was that just for neutral hostile ensnare). Sleep works probably because it is easy to counter it. Still it seems any ability that either instant defeats Doom Guard or disables him can't work.

Oh and also notice how the RoC Pit Lord had actual redesign with brand new custom abilities in TFT while Doom Guard didn't. Considering that Doom Guard was probably in Warcraft 3 since early beta it is shame they didn't get a single unique ability. (Demons were actually 3rd announced race)

Level 21
Doom guard doom guard doom guard...
Guys, there's a cool unit already mentioned called Infernal. It's immune to spells, has permanent immolation, got tons of HP and deals lots of chaos damage. It's a shame it cannot attack air units...

My favourite unit, however, is not the Infernal but a mightier one that can attack both air and ground units. It's the Frost Wyrm, the favourite pet of the Lich King :wink:
It has a lot of HP, it has a very large AoE attack damage and it can freeze buildings. If you get 4+ Frost Wyrms in your army, you win the game :thumbs_up: unless there're Dragonhawk Rider's to shackle 'em or too many anti-air units (not advantageous to a player doing so).
Shame on Blizzard when its attack was changed from pierce (RoC) to magic (TFT)!! Now it cannot attack magic immune units :mad:

Level 34
Yes, totally agreed.
It seems like they really wanted the player to kill these Demons, and not just kill the Shade and run past them the Demons.
Yes, but Orcs did not have anything invisible there except those sentry wards. But humans had Sorceress and her invisibilities.
Fel orcs there were supposed alongside with Infernals to bring destruction, Warlock was only spellcaster, although when you got close to Hellscream you got Fel Beasts and Doom Guards, so expect mana burn/cripple combos much.

Regarding Dispel honestly forget what wiki says. If anything it should be Arcane branch of magic and the one Doom Guard uses is probably that. Dispel is just generic AoE anti-magic ability, they were just lazy to make it different from priests ability because in RoC blizzard didn't really care about units you couldn't use in melee.
Yeah, that can be. I also think that they were lazy. Purge is shamanic ability, Dispel is only used by Priests, which is of course ability of light. Can be arcane. Other units mostly use abolish magic such as Dryads, Naga Couatl, Trolls, Harpy, Eredar, Kobolds etc etc...

That is why RoC Heroes lack birth quote, orc warlocks have rather unimaginative spells etc. In TFT they had remembered to rename Dispel for Orcs at least.
yes, that Descendant which Spirit Walker uses.
And Undeads/Demons with Devour.
Also there is item called Staff of Negation, which is common for everyone.
Thats why I am sure that Dispel is not demonic.

Oh and also notice how the RoC Pit Lord had actual redesign with brand new custom abilities in TFT while Doom Guard didn't. Considering that Doom Guard was probably in Warcraft 3 since early beta it is shame they didn't get a single unique ability. (Demons were actually 3rd announced race)
I do not know about Pitlord. I did not knew that he had any ability? He was Hero in campaigns, with Tauren Chieftain abilities. As hero he was introduced in Frozen Throne. Thats why he did not have even team color. As you mentioned already, he got redesign, team glow, Armor etc etc...
But yes, you made point, even in campaign in RC they used already used abilities, while in Frozen Throne he got new ones.

Interesting.
Just remembered something:
I'm 100% sure that Doom doesn't work either. I once tried to use Doom on an enemy Doomguard, didn't work because of Resistant Skin.
I'm not sure if Resistant Skin protects from Parasite.

About Resistant Skin I am surprised about entangling roots unless it was neutral hostile ability as that one doesn't effect heroes (or was that just for neutral hostile ensnare). Sleep works probably because it is easy to counter it. Still it seems any ability that either instant defeats Doom Guard or disables him can't work.

Here guys, I tested out new stuff:
EntaglingRoots from Spellbook works (item ability)
Parasites do not work
Doom does not work
Transmute does not work
Polymorph does not work
Curse Works
Chain Lightning works
Moonsoon works
Impale works
Hexx works
Faerie Fire works
Frost Nova works
Banish works (Although he uses dispel on himself)
Flame Strike works.

Doom guard doom guard doom guard...
Guys, there's a cool unit already mentioned called Infernal. It's immune to spells, has permanent immolation, got tons of HP and deals lots of chaos damage. It's a shame it cannot attack air units...
Yes, I wanted just to mention that Infernal is definitively best 1 vs 1 unit, the most powerful of his level. I lose against him only when I used Magnataur Reaver

My favourite unit, however, is not the Infernal but a mightier one that can attack both air and ground units. It's the Frost Wyrm, the favourite pet of the Lich King :wink:
It has a lot of HP, it has a very large AoE attack damage and it can freeze buildings. If you get 4+ Frost Wyrms in your army, you win the game :thumbs_up: unless there're Dragonhawk Rider's to shackle 'em or too many anti-air units (not advantageous to a player doing so).
Shame on Blizzard when its attack was changed from pierce (RoC) to magic (TFT)!! Now it cannot attack magic immune units :mad:

Hmm... interesting. Why did they change that?

Level 21
Yes, but Orcs did not have anything invisible there except those sentry wards. But humans had Sorceress and her invisibilities.
Maybe there was in campaign potion of invisibility which would allow you to sneak Thrall and use orb?

They changed armor/weapon system completely from RoC to TFT. In RoC Pierce was extra effective against Heavy Armor, so ranged units countered tier 3 melee units. In TFT Pierce no longer deals extra damage to heavy armor so Griffins, Frost Wyrms and Chimeras have switched to magic so they would remain counter against ground units. If they had pierce attack they would be weaker for their anti ground role. Besides them the only other source of magic attack are casters and I am sure I don't need to explain why they aren't used for their attack.
EDIT: Also because of logic. Magical Breath does not "pierce" armor, it just makes more sense for it to be magical.

Also I find Infernal too boring and plain looking, Doom Guard looks like an actual Demon.

Level 34
Maybe there was in campaign potion of invisibility which would allow you to sneak Thrall and use orb?
Hey, that is actually nice thinking. That has sense.
i do not remember exactly for that mission but I am sure that somewhere in Goblin shop you can buy potion on invisibility. It must be in some map.

In TFT Pierce no longer deals extra damage to heavy armor so Griffins, Frost Wyrms and Chimeras have switched to magic so they would remain counter against ground units.
Yeah, in ROC that Orc Wyvern Rider has pierce attack, since it was only air unit.

EDIT: Also because of logic. Magical Breath does not "pierce" armor, it just makes more sense for it to be magical.
Well, personally I do not find this much logical.
That depends of design of magic. Most of magical buffs or spells are designed to deliver damage, so breath could actually pierce and freeze in same time.
Remember that Frost Nova deals damage and slows unit down. orb of frost also adds damage and slows unit, so breath of Frost to me would also remain same.
But you have point too. That depends mostly of balance.

I told already that it is not logical that Doom Guard shoots power powerful fire at range, than dealing damage with weaker sword. I wounder why would anyone chose weaker sword when he can use more powerful blasts from safe distance. Nobody would risk to get stuck in front line. But that is not followed by sense logic, that is followed by balance as we discussed already (war stomp etc etc... to counter that).

Also I find Infernal too boring and plain looking, Doom Guard looks like an actual Demon.
yes, Doom Guards and Eredars look exactly like real demons, just like Diablo. Horns, spikes and wings which doom guard has. Green eyes and red skin. And giant size.
But Infernal is also nice for me cause its not exactly demon being but demonic spawn, some molten alive rock, filled with demonic energy. They are not looking like demons anyway.
But interesting thing about Infernal itself is, if you look him carefully, you will see that he glows, and provides slightly light around himself, like some lamp. I saw that during night, so ground around himself glows. And that fire effect emerging from him is awesome.

Level 21
Well, personally I do not find this much logical.
That depends of design of magic. Most of magical buffs or spells are designed to deliver damage, so breath could actually pierce and freeze in same time.
Remember that Frost Nova deals damage and slows unit down. orb of frost also adds damage and slows unit, so breath of Frost to me would also remain same.
But you have point too. That depends mostly of balance.

Lets go back to the definition of "pierce". Action when sharp instrument penetrates. You'll notice that most pierce examples in Warcraft 3 have physical sharp missiles. Frost Wyrm breath doesn't at least to me look like it fit "pierce" definition and is more likely to "crush". Considering Frost Wyrm is dead and lacks organs to produce real breath, think it is safe to conclude that breath attack is completely magical.

As for everything else you said all those things deal "Spell" damage since they are all caused by spells. Special case are the orbs that alter existing attack by adding attribute but attack doesn't change its nature. Though before TFT Heroes did have Pierce and Normal Damage and not unclear Hero.

Level 34
Lets go back to the definition of "pierce". Action when sharp instrument penetrates. You'll notice that most pierce examples in Warcraft 3 have physical sharp missiles. Frost Wyrm breath doesn't at least to me look like it fit "pierce" definition and is more likely to "crush". Considering Frost Wyrm is dead and lacks organs to produce real breath, think it is safe to conclude that breath attack is completely magical.
Yes, you are right completely about that. I forgot that its connected with sense and logic, that they did not give him ,,pierce" name for no reason.

But you forgot one thing. Not just frost Wyrm, any Undead is dead. At least revived. He was alive once, by magic of course, so their afterlife came from magic, therefore most of their energy. Some natural undeads such as crypt fiends are natually counted as undead. That Revenant is completely death energy, and is also classified as Undead. He also does not have single organs, he does not even release corpse upon death, so whole his strength came from magic, but does not have magical attack. Those Voidwalkers and nether dragons also do not have organs, their strength came from magic, yet their attacks are normal and chaos, depends on level.
That implies that Blizzard did not follow much logic as no sngle neutral unit whatever is it made of have magical attack. Only player controlled units are balanced in that way, hero, magic etc etc...

Level 21
But you forgot one thing. Not just frost Wyrm, any Undead is dead. At least revived. He was alive once, by magic of course, so their afterlife came from magic, therefore most of their energy. Some natural undeads such as crypt fiends are natually counted as undead. That Revenant is completely death energy, and is also classified as Undead. He also does not have single organs, he does not even release corpse upon death, so whole his strength came from magic, but does not have magical attack.
Those Voidwalkers and nether dragons also do not have organs, their strength came from magic, yet their attacks are normal and chaos, depends on level.
That implies that Blizzard did not follow much logic as no sngle neutral unit whatever is it made of have magical attack. Only player controlled units are balanced in that way, hero, magic etc etc...

I haven't forgotten and I'll share my views on those other units too.
- Crypt Fiends are not naturally dead, they are mummified corpses, real Nerubians are alive. They all attack by sending insects that crawl under the skin and then return (Life Steal effect was planned but dropped). It is a stretch to be "pierce", but ammo is physical matter thus not magic itself.
- Revenant while are death energy beings (think as of WoW they are elementals) they attack by hitting with mace. Yes he is powered by magic but the damage comes from the blunt physical force of a mace.
- Same reason why Abomination and Ghouls don't have magic attack, they still attack with claws/weapons even if they are running on magic fuel.
- Voidwalker and every other creeps ignore melee race rules and have their own rules. If creep units had magic instead of pierce/chaos attack they would be far more dangerous so that is my guess.

I am at loss why is Gargoyle ground attack pierce as I have no idea what their missile represents. If it attacked with stone bits it would make more sense.

Level 34
- Crypt Fiends are not naturally dead, they are mummified corpses, real Nerubians are alive. They all attack by sending insects that crawl under the skin and then return (Life Steal effect was planned but dropped). It is a stretch to be "pierce", but ammo is physical matter thus not magic itself.
Yes, You are right about that. I though that they are Undead too because No single Neruban has natural or holy magic. They have raise dead, unholy aura, carrion swarm.... So those are unholy creatures anyway. But you have point, you are right, they are alive.

- Revenant while are death energy beings (think as of WoW they are elementals) they attack by hitting with mace. Yes he is powered by magic but the damage comes from the blunt physical force of a mace.
- Same reason why Abomination and Ghouls don't have magic attack, they still attack with claws/weapons even if they are running on magic fuel.
Yeah, there according to WOW they wrote ,,Revenants are hateful undead creatures..." even elemental they re empowered by dead energy.
Yes. They hit with claws, mace, swords etc etc... But their hits, their damages came from dead energy, if there is not that unholy magic to fuel them, there would not be any hits.

You see, Orcs have various weapon types.
But regarding of that, it depends which energy empowers them and overrides previous state. When they are empowered by fel energy, they all have chaos damage, and got red skin without exceptions. even Peons have that. And ranged magical ones such warlocks. So it matters actually what empowers and what is ,,fuel"
So following your logic, all magically empowered beings should have magic damage.
Yet again, Fel Orc Blademaster has hero attack. He is expection, additional proof that they are breaking their own logics.

- Voidwalker and every other creeps ignore melee race rules and have their own rules. If creep units had magic instead of pierce/chaos attack they would be far more dangerous so that is my guess.

And you are right. But you just proved my point that Blizzard is not following much logic. They are following balance, not logic.
If That Frost Wyrm does not have organs to create ice breath, it uses magic to create it, so it has magical damage. Therefore Voidwalkers, Sucubbus or anything else which is ranged but shoots any magic instead of arrows or spears should have magical attack or all explanations are false. You cannot apply logical sense on one creature, but dismiss in another for reasons such ,,hey this is creep, therefore it will be powerful" either works or not.

Nobody said that you are wrong, you are right all what you are saying, but Blizzard is not following that obviosly. They have their own balancing logics or whatever.

I am at loss why is Gargoyle ground attack pierce as I have no idea what their missile represents. If it attacked with stone bits it would make more sense.
Skeletal Mages have pierce as well.
Dragonhawk riders have pierce.
Fearie dragons have pierce as well.
And no way that those are not using magics for attack, same as gargoyles.
Which furthers proves my point that this logic does not apply.

Level 21
Yes, You are right about that. I though that they are Undead too because No single Neruban has natural or holy magic. They have raise dead, unholy aura, carrion swarm.... So those are unholy creatures anyway. But you have point, you are right, they are alive.
I wouldn't really judge culture of neutral races based of creep stats as abilities are copies of four main races. I am willing to bet they can use the most "common" arcane magic anyway and necromancy.

Yeah, there according to WOW they wrote ,,Revenants are hateful undead creatures..." even elemental they re empowered by dead energy.
Yes. They hit with claws, mace, swords etc etc... But their hits, their damages came from dead energy, if there is not that unholy magic to fuel them, there would not be any hits.

No by that logic then when human hits something with a club it isn't club that hurts but physical energy human used to swing the club. The fact that they are being kept alive by magic is completely irrelevant when hit comes from physical object. Cleaver, Mace and Claws are made of matter and not magic thus they are physical damage. I could only expect Revenant to empower his weapon which could justify chaos attack.

You see, Orcs have various weapon types.
But regarding of that, it depends which energy empowers them and overrides previous state. When they are empowered by fel energy, they all have chaos damage, and got red skin without exceptions. even Peons have that. And ranged magical ones such warlocks. So it matters actually what empowers and what is ,,fuel"
So following your logic, all magically empowered beings should have magic damage.
Yet again, Fel Orc Blademaster has hero attack. He is expection, additional proof that they are breaking their own logics.

Chaos/Fel orcs are campaign units so of course they break rules. But anyway difference between them and undead is that undead bodies are held together by magic while chaos/fel orcs have their own weapons empowered. Then again Chaos defies logic by definition so chaos is chaotic.

As for hero well guess hero having hero attack is higher priority than chaos. There isn't that much difference between those attack.

Skeletal Mages have pierce as well.
Dragonhawk riders have pierce.
Fearie dragons have pierce as well.
And no way that those are not using magics for attack, same as gargoyles.
Which furthers proves my point that this logic does not apply.

I admit they do break logic but I still say they follow it when it suits them and that they aren't random. Though Skeletal Mage really could have been Skeleton Archer.

Level 21
The current discussion is quite informal. I see that the main topic is what blizzard meant with things. For instance, a conclusion was that damage type are based on balance, not thematics.

I've also worked on my own piece of research into Warcraft III. I intend to post a thread in the lab soon about this.
Knowing the principles used in melee could be quite useful for those of us making new races to be used alongside the normal ones, as it helps with consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.