• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Europe Template 0.1

Europe Template

150914-albums8111-picture107806.png

This is a template you can use freely for whatever you want.

The terrain was originally made for my new map (in progress) Rome II Total War. If you have any suggestion for further versions, please leave some comments.

The terrain is rather empty and you will have to adapt it for your project.

Feel free to change the tiles, the doodads etc... Just don't forget to add Fingolfin to the credits if you keep the trees he made.
Please don't forget me aswell, it was quite some work ;)

Note that you should use the NewGen WE to edit the map, and use the Misc.txt in your warcraft directory to edit the heights.

Screenshots

Close

British Isles

France

Iberic Peninsula

Italy/Greece

Scandinavia

Black Sea

Northern Europe

Turkey

Western Africa

Nile

Italy

Caspian Sea

Oural

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97146.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97149.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97156.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97151.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97801.png

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97147.jpg
150914-albums8111-picture97798.png

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97154.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97158.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97153.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97796.png

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97152.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97797.png

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97800.png

[/TD]

Close

Used Map

Used Map2

During Work

Waters

Alternative 384x384

Alternative 320x320

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97155.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97804.png

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97157.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97795.jpg

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97899.png

[/TD]

[TD]
150914-albums8111-picture97898.png

[/TD]

Credits

Fingolfin : For making amazing animated trees

Changelog
V0.1 :
-Map expanded to : Baltic sea; Western Russia; Caspian sea; Iran; Arabia; Sahara
-New tile : Taïga
-New tutorial on the Hive on How to make accurate terrain
Resubmitted : sorry for that, it was just because the map preview wasn't updating

Enjoy and good luck !

Keywords:
Europe, Template, Europe Template, European, Rome, Map, Terrain.
Contents

Europe Template 0.1 (Map)

Reviews
15:02, 7th May 2015 Orcnet: Very interesting template by basing the geographical look of the top form of europe, I really couldn't much explain and criticize this beautiful piece of art through accuracy, since its much more to implement a...

M

15:02, 7th May 2015
Orcnet:

[img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/194715-albums6441-picture75028.png[/img]

Very interesting template by basing the geographical look of the top form of europe, I really couldn't much explain and criticize this beautiful piece of art through accuracy, since its much more to implement a better view as a template, and users who will use this might in consider to revamp most of it.

Speaking of revamp, this map is really good in the conditions of a risk map, altered melee, can be a prefer for a mini-game, hero arena, and much more.

Overall, map can be approved and the use of imports hits the spot.

Level 23
Wont comment on geographical accuracy, but whenever someone makes the claim of "replicating a RL map" in wc3, it almost always end up pretty bad.
Not here though.
When you said a map template, you really were not kidding. Arguably the best approximation that I know of.

Level 9
No Lithania, Estonia, Latvia and Finland? What is this? Finland, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia arent part of Russia (if someone didnt know yet)For some reason in LoL when you go to transfer thingy of course it shows as if Baltic countries are part of Russia, but actually Baltic countries are part of the Europe so fix this otherwise i wont download this :p, but yeah from pictures it seems amazing.

Finland, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia arent part of Russia (if someone didnt know yet)For some reason in LoL when you go to transfer thingy of course it shows as if Baltic countries are part of Russia
What ?
Btw if you look closely you can see that the location of these countries is already there ... (Except for Estonia).

actually Baltic countries are part of the Europe so fix this otherwise i wont download this
... I specified it was for a Rome Total War originally (as it is now) so of course there is no baltic countries ... yet

Level 21
Well, there's no need for a lesson of Geography or History, this is template after all. Anyway, here's my review:

THE TERRAIN

Judging from the screenshots, I thought the map was really fantastic yet after downloading I was a bit disappointed. About one third of the map of the map is blackness (don't tell me that the player will remove it if he doesn't want it, you should not leave such large spaces so empty because it's a waste of filesize; if one wishes to enlarge the map, he'll do it by himself). Well, as you said, the terrain is empty but it is wrong for a template. Its purpose is to give a terrain mostly ready for use that can be then modified so instead of leaving the deserts that empty, you could've added some doodads like rocks, cactuses, fissures etc... Instead of adding trees only on the green areas, you could've added more vegetation (shrubs, flowers, bushes etc...). Technically, what you did was shaping the whole terrain and applying beautiful tiles and trees but nothing more. However, I don't want you to get discouraged. The way you created the terrain and made it actually look like the real world is just impressive. Besides, I'm very sure that this template will be extremely valuable to many people. What you need to do to complete your template is simply enhancing those empty areas and removing the zones of blackness (I know this might remove a small part of some countries but it's necessary to cut down the filesize and make the template less empty).

Eventually, this template is marvellous and it would be really a big shame to leave this pending or, even worse, rejecting it. For this reason, I will vote for APPROVAL but with a rating of 2.5/5 because the terrain needs to be completed thoroughly.

(don't tell me that the player will remove it if he doesn't want it, you should not leave such large spaces so empty because it's a waste of filesize; if one wishes to enlarge the map, he'll do it by himself)
You must be aware that the map size can only fit x32 multiples, this is the only reason why there is black corners :)
Well, as you said, the terrain is empty but it is wrong for a template. Its purpose is to give a terrain mostly ready for use that can be then modified so instead of leaving the deserts that empty, you could've added some doodads like rocks, cactuses, fissures etc... Instead of adding trees only on the green areas, you could've added more vegetation (shrubs, flowers, bushes etc...).
Why is it wrong for a template ?? Each map is different and need different landscapes adapted to the gameplay; I don't think that it is a mistake. +you speak about flower bushes etc, they are already implemented as doodads, you simply need to place them the way you want.

I know this might remove a small part of some countries but it's necessary to cut down the filesize and make the template less empty
Again, I disagree. It takes 30 seconds to anyone who wants to cut the map (for example the southern part with the nile going until Sudan). How is it a mistake ?

a rating of 2.5/5 because the terrain needs to be completed thoroughly.
I unerstand this rating as you think of templates this way, I would give somewhat same rating; but again, this is not the purpose of this particular template.

The aim of a template is to have a good terrain with proper use of doodads.
Where did you find this definition ? :p
+ I don't know much about other templates of warcraft, but are they really used? Maybe are they too specific; I think the creators just wanted to show a beautiful terrain. I could add doodads and it would be prettier, you're right. But doesn't it restrain the map to a certain design which only fits my perception of Europe? My goal by uploading this template was simply to give people the opportunity to work on a well shaped Europe, in which they can develop their own gameplay/terraining abilities.
I would never download a template in which the terrain is fully finished for two simple reasons : the map wouldn't feel like mine + I simply like to work on terrain and show people how I imagined my map. It s not by seeing a very specific terrain that you tell yourself : "ow yeah I have a great idea with this terrain!". It s by having a nice idea which takes place in some place (Europe, Azeroth, whatever) that you then look for a terrain, and then you adapt it to fit your gameplay and your imagination.

I'm telling you to remove the blackness so that the filesize is much more convenient.
I still think people are grown enough to remove the parts of the map they don't need...

Any chance for Asian and Oceania templates?
Not planned yet :) But I'll probably extend this template to whole Europe + arabia, maybe Persia. I made a map of China (check The Seven Kingdoms below and I can give you the map if you want).

EDIT :

Here's a definition of Template I could find on the net :). I think it kinda fits what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Level 21
In a dictionary, template has a totally different meaning than here on the hive. However, why do you think I voted for approval even though I said you lack things? Because I still believe that your map will be very useful.
This is, for example, how a template should be. Check it out and you might understand why I'm disappointed.

In a dictionary, template has a totally different meaning than here on the hive.
LoL. Again, I simply think that people which put templates here are not really meant to be used as a base for a map, but mostly because they want to show their good work, which is totally fine, don't take me wrong.
This is, for example, how a template should be.
Why SHOULD it be like this ? Look at the comments of the map you are pointing at me: do you see anyone saying : "yay ! I ll use it!" ? I can't see any... Yes this is beautiful, but how does it make a good Template ?
Someone (apcrabnightlive) already posted that on my profile :"Well thanks your map makes me recreate my first map." ;)

Level 21
Once again I'll have to repeat: "I voted for approval due to the usefulness of the map only". And I said "should" because there is no rule that says "Templates must be enhanced with doodads for approval" but it would be preferable to do so. Leaving the terrain so empty could be a knotty problem to noob terrainers, that's why I emphasize this point of making the whole terrain because when such people search for a template, they want a complete one. Lastly, when you post a template, you expect people to use it, not just to admire its beauty, otherwise you can just keep the screenshots in the Forum section and nothing more. This is another reason why I stress on the doodads. Please understand this before giving a reply which would force me to repeat everything again.

Once again I'll have to repeat: "I voted for approval due to the usefulness of the map only". And I said "should" because there is no rule that says "Templates must be enhanced with doodads for approval" but it would be preferable to do so. Leaving the terrain so empty could be a knotty problem to noob terrainers, that's why I emphasize this point of making the whole terrain because when such people search for a template, they want a complete one.
Repeat it over and over again if you like, but what I think of what is a good template is a map usable by everyone and that shouldn't be too personalized. This map is purely a Template, and has no other claim. Even in the first comment here Kino said "When you said a map template, you really were not kidding." When you tell me that it's not Template-ish enough because of doodads, I feel like you don't have the right definition of a template, and don't rate it as such.

I understand your point but even though some people are not so good at terraining doesn t mean they are looking for a fully "doodaded" terrain. Maybe am I wrong but I feel like people just want to work on their terrain when doing a map; it s a very enjoyable phase of mapping. A highly customizable map leaving room for creativity is I think a good characteristic of a template. +Otherwise it would give clones of maps with the exact same terrain...

Lastly, when you post a template, you expect people to use it, not just to admire its beauty, otherwise you can just keep the screenshots in the Forum section and nothing more. This is another reason why I stress on the doodads.
How is it a reason ? :p

Please understand this before giving a reply which would force me to repeat everything again.
We just don't have the same definition of a template, that's why I feel fooled by the reasons of your rating that's all. Just don't speak to me as if I were a child lol

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

About one third of the map of the map is blackness (don't tell me that the player will remove it if he doesn't want it, you should not leave such large spaces so empty because it's a waste of filesize; if one wishes to enlarge the map, he'll do it by himself).
With this, I agree. If you could just reduce the map size, even if it involves cutting off the southern part of Nile. It is just unnecessary, but that's just my opinion.
Well, as you said, the terrain is empty but it is wrong for a template.
You can't really judge this type of template the way you judge small environment replicas and such. You sound like there's some kind of unofficial quota of doodads that needs to be filled. It's simply designed to fit a certain kind of game-play type and it does the job well.
Its purpose is to give a terrain mostly ready for use that can be then modified so instead of leaving the deserts that empty, you could've added some doodads like rocks, cactuses, fissures etc... Instead of adding trees only on the green areas, you could've added more vegetation (shrubs, flowers, bushes etc...).
Well, I agree, Sahara looks quite empty, but that can be easily solved by adding more mountains, rocks, and stuff like that. But adding cacti? Remember that this is not a close up look to Europe, so things like that can't really be visible from this perspective. Things like trees are not just simple decorative elements, but they represent forests, jungles and such areas. Adding more vegetation to the oasis areas is always welcome. Besides, I'm not really sure what do you expect to see in desert. It is that empty in reality.
Technically, what you did was shaping the whole terrain and applying beautiful tiles and trees but nothing more.
Well, as I said, this map is meant to show off pure landscape (as much as I understood, I could be wrong), therefore, we must judge it as such. On that part, this template looks great, apart from Sahara and Northern Arabia, which do look empty, even though they're deserts.

I can't really give you a full review right now, but I've check the map and I think it deserves a higher rating. You have 4/5 from me.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I don't agree with SF here. Just by looking at the screenshots, I can tell that it is pretty neat. Normally I would comment on flowers other environmental decorations, but that's pretty evil considering how huge the map is. The map manages to look nice even without them.

There is no need to add things just because you can. So with that said, I rate it 4/5. And if he enchants the map further with decoration objects I will gladly give it a 5/5. The black parts are not that big of a deal. However he should remove the easy parts in the map size settings. But it's not enough of a reason to lower the rating according to me. I obviously vote for approval.

Level 2
Oh my god, it's like a real map of Europe, you did an amazing work.
OK there are black corners, but that's not an excuse to give him such a bad mark as 2.5/5.

Level 19
We can't expect people to agree with your opinions besides we all have different perspectives but the template is designed like that so it could be more easier to customize it and it won't look like similar to others who'll use it.

Level 11
The terrain in this Warcraft Europe map looks really awesome!

My only suggestion I have is to make three more screenshots, one for Germany, in addition to Northern Europe, a second for Central Europe, and a third for Romania, to make your screenshots complete.

Last edited:
Level 4
I've heard that you will make a new out of this template but can you grant my request to be able to load the saved games on your games because all of my hard work(single player here) just became corrupted by the way love all the maps that you created. :D

I've heard that you will make a new out of this template but can you grant my request to be able to load the saved games on your games because all of my hard work(single player here) just became corrupted by the way love all the maps that you created. :D
Well, sorry dude I don't know how I can revert this corrupted thingy ... and I cannot promise anything for my next map :p
Thx btw ;)

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Looks great. Btw, what factions will you add to your map?

Rome
Carthage
Egypt
Gaul
Iceni
Seleucids
Iberian Celts
Dacia
Pergamum
Germany
Greece

Scythes
Numidians

If you count, it makes 13, but one one the two last will not be playable as the other is picked : scythes or numids will be played by AI as neutral hostile (as are some city states such as Syracuse or Massillia). There will be ~92 cities/regions

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

So pretty much all factions of Rome Total War. Good luck, man.