1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Europe Template 0.1

Submitted by GolluM_KoMe
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Europe Template

[​IMG]

This is a template you can use freely for whatever you want.

The terrain was originally made for my new map (in progress) Rome II Total War. If you have any suggestion for further versions, please leave some comments.

The terrain is rather empty and you will have to adapt it for your project.

Feel free to change the tiles, the doodads etc... Just don't forget to add Fingolfin to the credits if you keep the trees he made.
Please don't forget me aswell, it was quite some work ;)

Note that you should use the NewGen WE to edit the map, and use the Misc.txt in your warcraft directory to edit the heights.

Credits

Fingolfin : For making amazing animated trees

Changelog
V0.1 :
-Map expanded to : Baltic sea; Western Russia; Caspian sea; Iran; Arabia; Sahara
-New tile : Taïga
-New tutorial on the Hive on How to make accurate terrain
Resubmitted : sorry for that, it was just because the map preview wasn't updating

Enjoy and good luck !

Keywords:
Europe, Template, Europe Template, European, Rome, Map, Terrain.
Contents

Europe Template 0.1 (Map)

Reviews
15:02, 7th May 2015 Orcnet: "] Very interesting template by basing the geographical look of the top form of europe, I really couldn't much explain and criticize this beautiful piece of art through accuracy, since its much more to implement a...
  1. 15:02, 7th May 2015
    Orcnet:

[img]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/194715-albums6441-picture75028.png[/img]

Very interesting template by basing the geographical look of the top form of europe, I really couldn't much explain and criticize this beautiful piece of art through accuracy, since its much more to implement a better view as a template, and users who will use this might in consider to revamp most of it.

Speaking of revamp, this map is really good in the conditions of a risk map, altered melee, can be a prefer for a mini-game, hero arena, and much more.

Overall, map can be approved and the use of imports hits the spot.

2. Kino

Kino

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wont comment on geographical accuracy, but whenever someone makes the claim of "replicating a RL map" in wc3, it almost always end up pretty bad.
    Not here though.
    When you said a map template, you really were not kidding. Arguably the best approximation that I know of.

3. Windrunner29

Windrunner29

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Best Template I ever seen !!!

4. Zaramorus

Zaramorus

Resources:
    Resources:
    No Lithania, Estonia, Latvia and Finland? What is this? Finland, Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia arent part of Russia (if someone didnt know yet)For some reason in LoL when you go to transfer thingy of course it shows as if Baltic countries are part of Russia, but actually Baltic countries are part of the Europe so fix this otherwise i wont download this :p, but yeah from pictures it seems amazing.

5. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    What ?
    Btw if you look closely you can see that the location of these countries is already there ... (Except for Estonia).

... I specified it was for a Rome Total War originally (as it is now) so of course there is no baltic countries ... yet

6. apcrabnightlive

apcrabnightlive

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Scandinavia and Russia doesn't exist either and mostly Vikings.

But I do hope you make one.

7. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Vikings come much later ;).
    And yes, as I said in the description, I ll make these countries

8. apcrabnightlive

apcrabnightlive

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I thought Vikings are like the first before the Romans.

9. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Well, there's no need for a lesson of Geography or History, this is template after all. Anyway, here's my review:

THE TERRAIN

Judging from the screenshots, I thought the map was really fantastic yet after downloading I was a bit disappointed. About one third of the map of the map is blackness (don't tell me that the player will remove it if he doesn't want it, you should not leave such large spaces so empty because it's a waste of filesize; if one wishes to enlarge the map, he'll do it by himself). Well, as you said, the terrain is empty but it is wrong for a template. Its purpose is to give a terrain mostly ready for use that can be then modified so instead of leaving the deserts that empty, you could've added some doodads like rocks, cactuses, fissures etc... Instead of adding trees only on the green areas, you could've added more vegetation (shrubs, flowers, bushes etc...). Technically, what you did was shaping the whole terrain and applying beautiful tiles and trees but nothing more. However, I don't want you to get discouraged. The way you created the terrain and made it actually look like the real world is just impressive. Besides, I'm very sure that this template will be extremely valuable to many people. What you need to do to complete your template is simply enhancing those empty areas and removing the zones of blackness (I know this might remove a small part of some countries but it's necessary to cut down the filesize and make the template less empty).

Eventually, this template is marvellous and it would be really a big shame to leave this pending or, even worse, rejecting it. For this reason, I will vote for APPROVAL but with a rating of 2.5/5 because the terrain needs to be completed thoroughly.

10. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    You must be aware that the map size can only fit x32 multiples, this is the only reason why there is black corners :)
    Why is it wrong for a template ?? Each map is different and need different landscapes adapted to the gameplay; I don't think that it is a mistake. +you speak about flower bushes etc, they are already implemented as doodads, you simply need to place them the way you want.

Again, I disagree. It takes 30 seconds to anyone who wants to cut the map (for example the southern part with the nile going until Sudan). How is it a mistake ?

I unerstand this rating as you think of templates this way, I would give somewhat same rating; but again, this is not the purpose of this particular template.

11. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The aim of a template is to have a good terrain with proper use of doodads. If you downlaod any other template, you'll see that no one is totally that empty.
    I'm telling you to remove the blackness so that the filesize is much more convenient.

12. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Any chance for Asian and Oceania templates?

Looks great IMO. Too lazy to review.

13. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Where did you find this definition ? :p
    + I don't know much about other templates of warcraft, but are they really used? Maybe are they too specific; I think the creators just wanted to show a beautiful terrain. I could add doodads and it would be prettier, you're right. But doesn't it restrain the map to a certain design which only fits my perception of Europe? My goal by uploading this template was simply to give people the opportunity to work on a well shaped Europe, in which they can develop their own gameplay/terraining abilities.
    I would never download a template in which the terrain is fully finished for two simple reasons : the map wouldn't feel like mine + I simply like to work on terrain and show people how I imagined my map. It s not by seeing a very specific terrain that you tell yourself : "ow yeah I have a great idea with this terrain!". It s by having a nice idea which takes place in some place (Europe, Azeroth, whatever) that you then look for a terrain, and then you adapt it to fit your gameplay and your imagination.

I still think people are grown enough to remove the parts of the map they don't need...

Not planned yet :) But I'll probably extend this template to whole Europe + arabia, maybe Persia. I made a map of China (check The Seven Kingdoms below and I can give you the map if you want).

EDIT :

Here's a definition of Template I could find on the net :). I think it kinda fits what I'm saying.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  14. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    In a dictionary, template has a totally different meaning than here on the hive. However, why do you think I voted for approval even though I said you lack things? Because I still believe that your map will be very useful.
    This is, for example, how a template should be. Check it out and you might understand why I'm disappointed.

15. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    LoL. Again, I simply think that people which put templates here are not really meant to be used as a base for a map, but mostly because they want to show their good work, which is totally fine, don't take me wrong.
    Why SHOULD it be like this ? Look at the comments of the map you are pointing at me: do you see anyone saying : "yay ! I ll use it!" ? I can't see any... Yes this is beautiful, but how does it make a good Template ?
    Someone (apcrabnightlive) already posted that on my profile :"Well thanks your map makes me recreate my first map." ;)

16. purparisien

purparisien

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Really good terrain for Europe. That's lame it comes that late in wc3. Otherwise I could use it.

17. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Once again I'll have to repeat: "I voted for approval due to the usefulness of the map only". And I said "should" because there is no rule that says "Templates must be enhanced with doodads for approval" but it would be preferable to do so. Leaving the terrain so empty could be a knotty problem to noob terrainers, that's why I emphasize this point of making the whole terrain because when such people search for a template, they want a complete one. Lastly, when you post a template, you expect people to use it, not just to admire its beauty, otherwise you can just keep the screenshots in the Forum section and nothing more. This is another reason why I stress on the doodads. Please understand this before giving a reply which would force me to repeat everything again.

18. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Repeat it over and over again if you like, but what I think of what is a good template is a map usable by everyone and that shouldn't be too personalized. This map is purely a Template, and has no other claim. Even in the first comment here Kino said "When you said a map template, you really were not kidding." When you tell me that it's not Template-ish enough because of doodads, I feel like you don't have the right definition of a template, and don't rate it as such.

I understand your point but even though some people are not so good at terraining doesn t mean they are looking for a fully "doodaded" terrain. Maybe am I wrong but I feel like people just want to work on their terrain when doing a map; it s a very enjoyable phase of mapping. A highly customizable map leaving room for creativity is I think a good characteristic of a template. +Otherwise it would give clones of maps with the exact same terrain...

How is it a reason ? :p

We just don't have the same definition of a template, that's why I feel fooled by the reasons of your rating that's all. Just don't speak to me as if I were a child lol

19. Imperator

Imperator

Resources:
    Resources:
    With this, I agree. If you could just reduce the map size, even if it involves cutting off the southern part of Nile. It is just unnecessary, but that's just my opinion.
    You can't really judge this type of template the way you judge small environment replicas and such. You sound like there's some kind of unofficial quota of doodads that needs to be filled. It's simply designed to fit a certain kind of game-play type and it does the job well.
    Well, I agree, Sahara looks quite empty, but that can be easily solved by adding more mountains, rocks, and stuff like that. But adding cacti? Remember that this is not a close up look to Europe, so things like that can't really be visible from this perspective. Things like trees are not just simple decorative elements, but they represent forests, jungles and such areas. Adding more vegetation to the oasis areas is always welcome. Besides, I'm not really sure what do you expect to see in desert. It is that empty in reality.
    Well, as I said, this map is meant to show off pure landscape (as much as I understood, I could be wrong), therefore, we must judge it as such. On that part, this template looks great, apart from Sahara and Northern Arabia, which do look empty, even though they're deserts.

I can't really give you a full review right now, but I've check the map and I think it deserves a higher rating. You have 4/5 from me.