• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ent Seed: Life of the Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Volvox. The techtree looks creative, but it doesn't match the concept. it's not really mysterious and wondrous. emo-ey isnt really the idea for that race. you followed the pattern awesomely and came up with something original, but it doesnt fit the main ideas of the race. they should be kindof magical and full of awe and wonder. they should be lively and such as well. If you look at the first post, all the races have themes and concepts. And a small thing, minerals are collected via wisps so both builders collect resources, as opposed to having two types of roots on the ent side. I'd be all for having the wisps build something, maybe like a root that glows or something, but for now lets just leave that as regular wisps who harvest lumber.

It's kindof like with the techtree ezikielth made. it's a nifty techtree, but we both see swamp differently. he sees swamp like stealthy spell ninjas. I see them like the plant version of the undead. a weed if you will. they should have withering spells, and toxins, and maybe the ability to steal resources somehow (or somethign like that).

and spirits are not just ghosts. they're forest spirits, meaning things like dryads, and satyrs, and even furbolgs and wildkin. maybe wolves. think magical forest dwelling things, instead of graveyard.

I may sound like I'm being critical, which I kindof am, but there is also a compliment in here. This is the fourth time ive written this particular message thanks to hive not working properly the past couple hours so im not sure if everything im trying to say will come across properly. It's really a great job making a techtree, but it isnt the type of techtree I was looking for. It kindof needs redoing.

Maybe I'll reiterate the themes here for clarification:
Maple:Fast but fragile. They move the fastest, but have the least hit points. They're kindof like archers. deal damage quickly without getting too close, then retreat before youre taken down. 2nd least magically based
Oak: Big and tough. They move the slowest, but have the most hit points and armor. theyre kindof like golems, or the rock giants. amass a large force, and attack directly. The least magical.
Swamp: Dark and Gloomy. The swamp ents are toxic, and deal with things like poison and withering, second toughest, but the hit points and armor are really closer to the middle than to 3/4 of Oak. for speed, theyre somwhere in the middle.
Willow: Mysterious and Mystical. They have alot of things dealing with life creation, have the most magically based army, and are all mysterious. They are the second weakest, but like the swamp ents theyre closer to the middle. they are in the somewhere in the middle for speed. theyre the most magical. theyre kindof the anti-swamp, like maple is kindof the anti oak.

www.gamerisle.org

Yeah but If I do it they will all look the same... Willow done

Attachments

• Techtreewillow.jpg
    Techtreewillow.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Level 17
MOTHERFRACKER: Hive is ONCE AGAIN giving me connecting errors when i try to post messages. it can't be me because HIVE is the only site that does it.

ok.

Volvox, do a remake. try to fit the theme, you were doing a good job.
Ezikielth, although you were trying to help, please try not to step on peoples feet, that was rude. Volvox was working on willow, and though it didnt turn out right, that doesnt mean i want someone else to do it. its entirely possible that he just didnt get the directions. like how yours isnt quite right either. Ghosts: Bad. and you still have those goofy mineral roots in the techtree that we're not using. You put those in your original techtree and he got the bad idea there. and what the hell is an eagle ent.

Spirits: NOT GHOSTS animal spirit guides, celtic forest spirits (fae/fey) etc. I'm looking for things based on the available models to reskin as well here. We want things like dryads, hippogryphs, wolves, fairie dragons, bearsm birds, etc. not just see through ghosty things. looking at in game models for inspiration is a good idea because we want to use as little custom resources as possible (though I dont think we'll likely use any of the premade creatures).

I think it would be easier to organize all of this if we had our own board instead of just a thread.

Level 10
This project is pretty active and it looks to be coming along nicely from what I've read in this thread.
But if you apply for Hosted Project status (Thats the only way you get your own boards I believe) I hope you guys finish this thing instead of leaving it hanging. :D

Level 17
we could go the hosted project route here, but weve already been offered one elsewhere, and the other one has other server space we can use. we could theoretically put up an actual site there.

i was thinking we could do the work there, and post info for actual progress here. in this thread. presently this thread is so diluted its hard to find stuff.

Level 15
Okay, i got the spirit part wrong and i was actually studying Ezekielth's tech tree while doing mine because of the resource buildings. The weeping forest idea kinda pulled me off the right direction, i'll do my best to make them lively and anti-undead dough that type of race is not my favorite, but i'm sure going to try.

Level 7
maybe this magical/mystical race could build shrines and pray to gods or sth like that. And if they pray to different gods their units get different speels and abilities. For example if they pray to an god which is really nice and helpfull they get heal abilitites. Or maybe you can even build a shrine for each god where you can build units which pray to this god. (Nice god = healer, Mysterious god = like Mesmer abilities in Guild Wars hard to explain ;])

I just give my ideas to you so dont feel stepped on your foot ;)

Level 23
Woah, yea, thats something new and well, I think the headmaster of this project; Darkholme should judge it. Hm, I dont know, but it doesn't sound very natural that ents and trees are praying to gods? (Meh, how natural is warcraft...) Anyway I'll let Darkholme to decide that

Level 7
ok ;) just an idea :p I like that idea really much but youre right! With Ents it looks a bit weird. Ents arent the "God Prayers" i think xD

Level 17
I'm gonna say Praying = no.

Anyways, we have our own board. Development conversation should go in there, and this topic here is going to be for updates. The board should be just about all set up. at least the essentials anyways.

All team members go over there!

As for non-team members, you can keep posting here, or in the idea section on the new board.

OUR OWN BOARD!

Level 7
Ok good luck with your project! I would think its better if you get it hosted here on the Hive because i think here are more potencial fans of your map than there... But its your thing! The main thing is that your map gets ready so i can play it^^

Level 23
Well, still I havent done anything new except some improvements on the resource system already. Maybe I should keep a post updated on the forum showing what do?

Has currenly 3 stuff I must do.
1st: Spells and systems mini-contest submission
2nd: Improvement of the resource system I gave you
3rd: Mini-game contest submission

xO

And, Volvox has been there suggesting a Techtree, but you havent responded on him either aye

Level 23
Thanks both =). And Darkholme I will work on the scripting for EntSeed in between, so it's not going to be completely lost for a couple of weeks:p

Edit: NearbyHermit, good luck with yours as well._.

Level 7
I know youre are really big team already. But i have to say that i would like to work with you^^ Maybe I can do some small things?! I can code in GUI (very) good. I know how you have to balance units and I usually have good ideas for units and spells ;) We've got holidays right now so I have got enough time, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.