• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ent Seed

Status
Not open for further replies.

attachment.php

TABLE OF CONTENTS

I. Gameplay
II. Storyline
III. Race Breakdown
IV. Game Balancing/Mechanics
V. Tech Tree

The Team:
Ezikielth-Team Leader, Terrain/Concept
Darkholme-Models/Triggers
THE_END-Skins
Volvox-Spells
Map Type: Altered Melee
Players: 8-10
Alliances: You can ally in game but when there are three players remaining the game becomes FFA no matter what.

Intro.

Ent seed is a new type of game called an evolution builder. At the start of the game you may morph into one of 4 ent species (more detail on species in section III). From this point in the gameplay walktrough we will act as though we are playing the maple race. Once your seed turns to an ent type there is no turning back.

I. Gameplay

I.a. Base Constuction ---- Now that a maple spout has been created you may venture off into the woods. Once you find a good location you can transform into an ancient maple tree. Depending on your location the name of your team changes; Lets say you decide to plant in the northwest corner near a river your team name would change into "Maples of the North River", this can aid in discovery of bases due to the massive size of the map. Once your ancient tree is created your hero automatically spawns. Your ancient tree acts as an altar and a main base, the maple tree creates maple saplings which act allot like wisps. They can turn into a spirit tree (basic income building), a maple ent (due to the fact that maple is a ranged team their ent is ranged, but for most teams their basic ent is melee), or a Maple Tree (basic tower, oak ent tribes can uproot their's)

I. b. Evolution and Battle
-- Every unit in this game evolves. Your main tree evoles from your total kills and the amount of researching that you have done. Ents evolve from doing battle and learn new attributes and such depending on the way you choose you evolve your ent. Spirits evolve from research as do food trees. Seasoned veterans are allot more powerful than newly created ents. This game has a food cap of 50 and ents cost about 5 food so battles in this game are not massive but rather strategic skirmishes. Losing an army may very well mean losing the war.

I.c. Heroes
--------------- Though in warcraft 3 heroes are already a sort of "evolving unit" this game takes it to a new level. Heroes in this game can attain level 20 and have over 10 separate abilities that each alter the hero drastically. Once you reach level 20 you should only have about 6 of the 10 total spells which means spell selection is a big deal in this game. Spells can do anything from spawning armies to simply changing your attack type. At level 20, depending on your spell selection you get a final aura.
- Aura Of The Thorn
-Mix between thorns and vamp aura
-Aura of The Ancients
-Increases mana heath and speed by 15%
-Aura of Bloodlust
-Increases all damage types by 15% damage
-Aura of Wisdom
-Reveals the entire map

II. Storyline -------------- The ents have gone to war! Over thousands of years of battle between the 4 ent races of old, (willow, Oak, Maple, And Swamp) the ent races have completely annihilated each other, but the old gods created ents for a reason, to tend for the trees of the forest. As long as the forest survives the ents will. In the aftermath of the war, several pure ent seeds where spawned with the ability to become one of the four ent races of old. As one of the pure ent seeds it is your job to destroy all other tribes of ents and bring balance to the world.

III. The Races
THESE ARE NOT ACTUAL MODELS TO BE USED INGAME, THEY ARE JUST THE RACES COLOR SCHEMES!!
attachment.php

III.a. Maple -------------- The maple ents are a ranged ent tribe that rely heavily on hit and run tactics. The maple ents have the ability to deal massive amounts of damage but are very fragile. As the ents level they do more damage but get slower and slower causing them to need to use hit and run more and more. Their spirits help to keep enimies at bay with movement impairing spells.
- Balancing: Maple Ents will have a weak slow effect on their attacks to keep them from getting WTFPWNT. Maple ent will also be the least food intensive race allowing them to swarm the enemy with stacking slow.
-Leveling: A Maple Ent needs have its tribe (not team as in not allies) be responsible for the death of 5 other ents to level from 1-2 and 10 from 2-3.

III.b. Oak ----------------- The Oak ents are a meele tribe that wist stand massive amounts of damage. As ents level they gain movement abilities that help compensate for thier slow speed. The Oak spirits act like buff machines that cast things such at bloodlust and inner fire (not actual name just the spell type).
- Balancing: Oak ents will be the tanks of the forest with about 2x as much health as any other normal unit of its level. Due to this high amount of hp oak ents will be slower by a tad and posses the weakest melee attacks, however with buffs the oak ent become a serious competetor
-Leveling: An Oak ent needs to have its tribe (not team as in not allies) be responsible for the death of 5 other ents to level from 1-2 and 10 from 2-3ere . The ent must also be there to witness the killing.

III.c. Willow -------------- Willow ents are seige machines. They have the longest range and their spirits act as a sort of defender with tons of health and they ability to blink. Willow ents become more melee based as they level but they still stay to their base destruction "roots" no pun intended.
- Balancing: Willow ents will have the ability to tear rooted ents apart as well as decimate enemy range by having teleportation abilities. The only down side is that on 1 to 1 combat a willow ent will usually loose, they get strength from stacking auras given off by other willow ents, Making it impossible for a willow ent army to split up.
-Leveling: A willow ent have its tribe (not team as in not allies) be responsible for the death of 7 other ents or 3 buildings to level from 1-2 and 14 other ents or 6 buildings to level from 2-3. The ent must also be there to witness the killing.

III.d. Swamp
------------ If you see a swamp ent your are probably going to die. Swamp ents are cloaked during they night unless they attack or cast a spell. As swamp ents level they learn more stealthy abilities that help them fight during the day. Swamp spirits are a sort of assassin that will mess up enemy heroes by burning mana and setting them ablaze.
- Balancing: No a swamp ent will not wtf pwn you... they have virtually no melee and rely heavily on thier mana pool... They will lose their stealth if they run out of mana (works like immolation) but they also use their mana for their attacks. After they run out of mana they will have to retreat to their base to regerate it. In the long fight a swamp ent wont win.
-Leveling: A swamp ent must have its tribe (not team as in not allies) be responsible for the death of of a hero to level. The ent must also be there to witness the killing. Only two of the ents will level per a death.

IV. Game Mechanics

Hero Revival- Heroes in this map with be revived at one of the four resurrection stones on the map, Controlling the ressurection stones can be very beneficial because it can make it hard for enemies to get their hero back.

Rooting
- In order to upgrade itself, regen mana, and cast some spells an ent must root. Rooted ents act like buildings and cannot be uprooted for 1 minute after rooting. Choosing when and where to root your ents is crucial to winning the game.

Spirits- Spirits are the other half of an ent army. You simply cant win without spirits, because they help with the weaknesses of your race. The interesting thing about spirits is they cost spirit to create and are the upgraded form of spirit trees (spirit income building) so a balence between Spirits and Spirit trees is crucial to success.

Life Force
- Similar to food, Life Force is the cap that creates balence in the game. With a cap of 20 life force selection of units is very important. Lifeforce is used by Spirits, Ents, Spirit Trees and Defensive Trees.

Battle Force- Gained from killing enemies, used for upgrades.

Spirit Force
- Used for upgrades and researches. Gained from Spirit Trees.

Command Points- Locations of strategic command, some give spirit some give universal auras (an aura that effects all your units on the map).

V. Techtree

-Seed Of Rebirth
--Maple Sprout
---Maple Ancient
----Hero
----Wisp

-----Maple Protector(Tower)
-----Tree Of Spirits
------Spirit lv1
-------Spirit lv2
--------Spirit lv3
-----Ent lv1
------Ent lv2
-------Ent lv3
-----Tree Of Knowledge
------Researches
--Willow Sprout
---Willow Ancient
----Hero
----Wisp

-----Willow Protector(Tower)
-----Tree Of Spirits
------Spirit lv1
-------Spirit lv2
--------Spirit lv3
-----Ent lv1
------Ent lv2
-------Ent lv3
-----Tree Of Knowledge
------Researches
--Oak Sprout
---Oak Ancient
----Hero
----Wisp

-----Oaken Protector(Tower)
-----Tree Of Spirits
------Spirit lv1
-------Spirit lv2
--------Spirit lv3
-----Ent lv1
------Ent lv2
-------Ent lv3
-----Tree Of Knowledge
------Researches
--Swamp Sprout
---Swamp Ancient
----Hero
----Wisp

-----Swamp Protector(Tower)
-----Tree Of Spirits
------Spirit lv1
-------Spirit lv2
--------Spirit lv3
-----Ent lv1
------Ent lv2
-------Ent lv3
-----Tree Of Knowledge
------Researches

PLEASE POST WITH COMMENTS

Attachments

• EntLogo.jpg
    EntLogo.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,390
Last edited:
Level 6
hey that sounds really good man!

It's gonnna be sort of a variation of a melee game a bit, right? I like your ideas, like getting a name depending on you location, and the fact that a veteran who has seen many battles is more powerfull that a rookie seems completely logical.
You got 4 races, which is cool, and a crazy diagram that i didn't relly understand lol ^^

Btw how many players can you have? Also give us some screenies ;)

Level 8
The entire idea is very creative and unique.
I didn't read much but I will go back and do so, but gaining levels, is it done by XP?
Or, like trees, do they grow in time? I'd like to see this finished and be more than willing to test, and address all bugs to you.
Keep Working on it, It looks like a map very worth on continuing. =]
-Calvin

Level 26
Did you do that Ancient pictre yourself? Looks awesome. Only thing I don't like about that loading screen is the bright colours. They're out of place with everything else. If you can replace them with some nice scrolling patterns, it'll look much better. The 'E' also looks kind of weird. Otherwise, it is awesome.

I was most bored and started screwing around with some skins.

The 4 legged ent says :HAI!

Attachments

• Hai.jpg
    Hai.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 215
Level 17
Wow looks mazing, if you ask darkholme really nice, might let you use that as the maple ent hero (need to change the hair to OJ leaves tho), Also the colors are the colors of the 4 ent races, may change it.

Crap I started doing something REALLY similar. lol Ah well. I'll let him go for it and work on somethign else, then if the skin needs touch up i'll nag him to do them or something. That looks pretty good though.

For color scheme, I've been working from the colors of the existing ents.

Maple: Lore
Oak: Protector

And Willow would be similar to the ToLife.
Look at the other EntSeed Page http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=573980
There I did a color scheme thingy using the WoW ents, and they were about right.

Level 17
Lol sounds like.... Bug Evolution... Love the models tho

Quietchoo! I'm working on it. I'm doing pretty damn good since my first time with jass was 2 weeks ago (I have other programming experience). Besides. That's how programming works sometimes. You write your code to do what you want it to do, and then you go through and find all the stupid mistakes you made.

It's coming along quite nicely considering that I'm doing ALL the triggers. And most of the modeling. And some skins. And the Preliminary Unit Design. (just enough to make sure the units work with the scripts, and ot make sure we have models)

Level 17
Well the project hasn't been active for that long. But I imagine fairly quickly, cause it is moving along pretty well. It would be nice if I could edit the first post to show progress of the triggers and such. Well, no definite date, but before mid june sounds like more than enough time to finish it. Likely earlier, but I don't want to set a date too early and have a bunch of people jumping on us yelling "IS IT DONE YET, IS IT DONE YET, IS IT DONE YET, IS IT DONE YET?" Well, if my intersession credits are a really heavy workload than it may take longer. If it continues at the pace it's going right now it should be done within a month and a bit.

Seriously though, probably not all that long. :) I have another project I'm working on too. Hopefully it will be done by the same time. The other one is almost ALL scripting necessary. Keeper and EntSeed will likely both be alot of fun. I haven't said this before now, but my goal is to try to balance it with the standard races (Since we don't have Melee AI I want any NPC players to play as though its a normal map of warcraft) - at least until we get AI for it. The way I set it up it would be easy to switch them to using EntSeed Units and Triggers. After everything else is done for the standard stuff, I want to make a "complex mode" in which your goal is to take over the forest and your resources will be calculated via painstaking mathematical formulae. You'll get it when you see it - it's a cool Idea, but it's totally different from normal WC3 style, so Ezikielth said it would create too much of a learning curve initially. So I'm gonna try to add it in as a menu that comes up for player 1.

Level 8
if this project turns out as good as it sounds, i could easily see this becoming a favorite of mine. However, it would be really awesome if u could give it an AI, im sure there are others like me who would thank you for it as well. Since my internet connection isnt the greatest, im confined to slow paced games and single player games, and i cannot play online efficiently, and this is one of the few games that i would play as much as a normal melee game (which for me is a lot). Not a request, just a suggestion.

Level 17
AI is definitely something I'd like to see as well. However I have never done AI, so I don't know if I'll be able to. I've done regular JASS and other scripting, so I may be able to figure it out. Otherwise we shall have to get assistance with AI. But I agree. AI should be included if at all possible.

Presently I'm working on simplifyig my coding, to make it easier for me to do. Instead of trying to remember all of the stupid resrefs, I'm making constant functions that all they do is return the resref. so I'll type SeedOfRebirth() and it will give me the applicable resref.

Last edited:
Level 17
will do on the notify. Not sure about the release date, as I was crazy busy longer than expected and I'm just getting back into working on EntSeed today. (Instead of like almost 2 weeks ago)

And upon examining it, when the rest is done the techtree is gonna need some work, cause it has too few leaves. We need more structues and unit types.

Last edited:
Level 3
I got some ideas but not sure if they're good or not.

Mask of The Hallucinating Stare (Swamp Specific) which increases the mana capacity of the user by 200 and can silence enemies. (2 min. cooldown)

Spirit Choker : (All Races) When an ent wears it he gets bonus armor and attack speed (2+ Armor 20%+ Attack Speed)
Drains 10 Mana each 10 seconds.
Backgrounds:
Spirit Choker:

This item is the black sheep of the Swamp , they created it and now they're afraid to use it as it drains the users stamina and magic although it can drown you with powerful power , the power itself is worth it but the damage it deals to the inside is terrible.

Level 17
are these items or abilities or what?

there aren't going to be '1337 n00b ki11ing it3mz' or anything , its a modified melee. those might work as items, but i dunno what youre proposing this idea would be used for. and im not able to work on it as much lately cause i have a fuckload of other shit taking up my time. (non wc3 stuff)

I just want to clarify that there will be no item combos.

Level 4
this game got very interesting!! havent play but the scenarios pictures looks awesome

Guess Keep up the good work!

Level 4
this game got very interesting!! havent play but the scenarios pictures looks awesome

Guess Keep up the good work! 5/5

Level 17
i dont know if there would be a point in adding a fifth race. plus, I imagine with all the imports that making a fifth race would make things very difficult due to the max size of 4 MB. And if a fifth race were added it would need to be a boreal race not coniferous. thats the theme we have going.

the terrain is just the prelim stuff done by Ezi at the moment, and its ok but not finished.

also, just post in one of the forums. for general questions post here, if you want to talk about dev stuff then go to the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.