• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dungeon Keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
There is indeed a dungeon keeper map by varimathras. However, it doesn't play anything like dungeon keeper, it looks terrible, and I think it's just an incredibly bad implementation.

We tested it before doing anything here (I think someone else had a like to it, and I definitely tested it out myself).

so to sum it up.

1. It's in german so it would be hard to read the directions.
2. it isn't any good anyways. - we all think it can be done considerably better, hence the project.

Level 1
to tell u the truth i think this 1 will B better than ent seed but itll take WAY loger so do ent seed 4 now

Level 19
id do it as lumber coz u need gold in it

Or we could have a multiboard which shows the situation, amount of units and unit type and mana etc.
It would be best to use wood as gold because we're using tiles as destructible because it is less laggy than units. Gold could be mana. Also my tile system works fine at 92x92 = 8464... Probably too few?

Level 1
if keeper is 2 laggy u cud always do black an wite, theyre very alike, but id prefer keeper
ps yea multibord wud be gud cos thats how it is on the real keeper

Level 1
how will u have creatures levelin up? will they all count as heros? then the side of your screen would overflow with hero icons

Level 24
dungeonkeepergoldpc.jpg

Well,hopefuly ,the map will be as good as the game is.

Level 6
You left click a unit, it picks it up. You can hold 8 or 10 at a time.
You right click a unit, it slaps it - this can make it work faster. the slapping may be unnecessary. Right clicking on empty tiles you on and not on a unit drops a unit there from your hand.

Does this mean you want to make this project with me?

The drawback to the original game is that it was a huge pain to make multiplayer work, as it used ipx, and the multiplayer seemed to be added as an afterthought.

Lol I was quite good at the map Editor for dungeon keeper, the syntax in the *.txt files is a lot nicer than JASS, which I have never been able to grasp...

Couldn't you replace the slap with a spell that is called slap, and basically does the same thing. The spell would only be avaliable if you hand was empty. And to pick up, another spell, so that it could still be possible to pick up creatures quickly by using HotKeys.
It was all creatures of that type work slightly faster if one creature is slapped and the creature that is slapped worked quite a bit faster...
I'm sure you JASSers out there would easily be able to do this.
I'm sure that I could do with G.U.I. triggers so it must be possible in JASS... :smile:

Another thing you would need to add is the "fighting amongst themselves" if Bile Demons share a lair with a skeleton, for example. I'm guessing that lairs are going to be seperate buildings? That would make it easier, set the life to high, so that no one can see it and make them invunerable. ;-)

Level 3
hope this map is just as good as the game Dungeon Keeper 2 i know u based it on that game becuse of the Instructions THANKS FOR MAKING IT and no im not 50 years old... i found it in my dads chest of old games xD

Level 4
Computer doesn't even EXIST 50 years ago. So how dungeon keeper can exist there?

Well, I saw once a dungeon keeper 2 game, wich got allready the portal spawning, with tiles and so on.

I dont know if you got that allready, i just read the first 4 sides of the topic, and then I was too lazy.

Level 21
Computers DID exist 50 years ago :p

Although I'm pretty sure he was being ironic and simply exaggerating the age of the old-school game DK.
I haven't seen any warcraft 3 game yet that even closely resembles the feeling you get when playing DK...
Re-reading this thread, I've decided to restart this project again. I hope Darkholme will still be leading this, but I'm pretty sure he's not going to anymore :(
Either way, I'll be doing most, if not all, required systems in jass; could use someone for the object editing / modelling.

Level 17
OK. I'm looking for someone to take over keeper for me.

I have all sorts of other things taking up my time, and dont really play videogames much anymore.

Work from university and my job reduce my free time drastically. And whats left is eaten up by other things.

Eleandor, Redmarine?

I had a thought while saying something similar on the EntSeed thread.

I dont have enough time to directly manage, but if you guys want to expand the project somehow and get like 'sub managers' I could manage them as long as I dont have to manage all the little details.

I'd be able to work that amount of time into my schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.