• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dungeon Lords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Dungeon Lords

Dungeon Lords is a map inspired by "Dungeon Keeper". It lets player build his dungeon, to protect treasures from raiding "heroes".
"Heroes" form the other team, which has to penetrate defensions of the dungeon and kill the boss at it's end.

Dungeon digging system - dungeon lords are able to dig the dungeon how they like, so each game will be played in different dungeon. Dungeon Lords team will be able to build different traps and rooms, which will annoy heroes (each dungeon lord character will have different creatures with unique abilities)

New Ability system - game includes new, more realistic, ability system. Your melee damage is now always affected by Strength, which also affect HP. Agility now gives chance to critically strike and dodge, as well as attack speed. Intelligence not only gives you tons of mana you won't ever use, it improves effect of almost every single spell. So even Strength-based heroes can profit from increasing Inetlligence

Physics - the enviroment is not just for your eyes, it can be used for your advantage.
Fire spreads on all nearby flammable objects, so you better stay away from those piles of junk on the floor. They can easilly turn into fiery hell.
Lightning spreads easily on metallic object, so a long pipeline can be really uncomfortable to touch. Also plated heroes should stay further from each other;
Support collumns ain't there for fun, they hold the cave together. Destroying them could lead to dangerous cave-ins. And since they are wooden, you should really be careful about waving your torch around it.
More physical features can be added, i would welcome your ideas.
physics1.jpg
physics2.jpg
physics3.jpg

Items
The dungeon tresure chambers hold many treasures, including powerful magical items. Players can found yellow, orange and, most powerful, red magical shards, which can be reforged into powerful items. This gives players opportunity to fully customize their hero, giving them best chance of defeating dungeon lords.
item1.jpg

New Combat System - All Heroes have now chance to critically hit, based on their agility and weapon they are using. Using a heavy weapons gives chance to cleave, which is based on the weapon and strength. Agility also gives chance to dodge an attack. Using parrying weapons increases the chance and may even increase the influence of Agility on dodge.
Combat System.jpg

Drugs - Heroes can take various drugs to aid them in battle (pain resistance, improved reflexes...) However, they become more and more addictive to these drugs each time they use them. Clever usage of these drugs is another tactical element.

Map Link

Last edited:
Level 12
I didn't realise that when I chose the name, but when you pointed that out, I remembered I played it myself (although I didn't like it that much)
I think that 4 Heroes are enought to fit in the narrow caves. Maybe some heroes will have companions, but even that seem too much.
I am not planning AI now.

Last edited:
Level 12
Yeah, I am not making a copy of Dungeon Keeper, I was just inspired by the "building a dungeon" thing.
Units will be spawned from dwellings, like in Warchasers. But your idea isn't bad, I may add mercenaries with interesting skills.
But right now I am working on the hero part. Now my item slot system and shard system are working, I just add some items, finish 3 heroes and then I start working on the DL part.

I will release some kind of betaversion asap, so you guys could criticise a bit, I know you all like it:grin:

Level 12
[K40$]-Spectre;974458 said:
, that's a good system, just know that it isn't easy to make it work for more that 1 player.

You mean creating the system for more players, or playing against it, is not easy?
I already got the system working for all of the players, with two dwellings, which spawn different units, depending on the role (currently, there is Necromancer with skelotns and skel. archers, ghost with wraiths and bashees and slime with two different slimes) the player has chosen.
It will need some time to balance the systems, also, i want to give Dungeon Lord players some reason not to build all dwellings at the bosses lair, making an infinite undefeatable army.

Level 17
You mean creating the system for more players, or playing against it, is not easy?
I already got the system working for all of the players, with two dwellings, which spawn different units, depending on the role (currently, there is Necromancer with skelotns and skel. archers, ghost with wraiths and bashees and slime with two different slimes) the player has chosen.
, for more players, nice

Level 12
I have almost finished two Heroes (Paladin and Sorceress). There are still some bugs on their abilities, but once I get damage system working ( I have the damage detection for combat system, I just need to include spells in it.), there shouln't be any problems (btw. I need spell which has projectile and puts buff on target).

Once I get the two heroes to work, I will do some work on the Dungeon lords part. Now they have fire traps and two different dwellings. You can choose from three different roles, but the selection system is really bad. Also, the dwelling construction system is broken: the dwelling blights the area around, preventing you from building dwellings too close to each other, which doesn't work, if you build fast enought.

As soon as I get dwelling system working and fix the dungeon lord roles, I will release first beta.

Level 12
You may want to use selection scale -1 on the lightning bolt metal point units.

It will prevent the HP bar from showing.

Level 19
Yay beta!

EDIT. Played it and think it still need quite a bit of work. As a dungeon lord, how do I get wood? It doesnt really feel like you are playing dungeon keeper, make it so that you can actually dig out room and allocate areas to be lairs, food etc. Pillars dont really drop enough rocks too. Quite a bit of fixable tooltips!
But, since this is a beta, im sure it will get a lot better, I will keep an eye on this.

Level 12
You get some wood at the beginning, but I already know you can't do much with that. I am going to increase the amount and balance the costs of buildings, so that dungeon lords can build some more.

It would be possible to make the dungeon diggable, but it would take a very long time to prepare the dungeon. This way you don't have so much possibilities, but it's fast enough so that Heroes can start playing soon.

Level 3
Dungeon Lords

Dungeon Lords is a map inspired by "Dungeon Keeper".
I love it already.

anyways, The new abilities systems looks fantastic! I wish I could download the beta, but I need to get TFT back first. So is the game is multiplayer, right? What about the beta?

It doesnt really feel like you are playing dungeon keeper, make it so that you can actually dig out room and allocate areas to be lairs
is that even possible?

Level 12
You are overestimating my skills, and I don't think changing terrain is possible. I was thinking of a massive amount of cubic rock destructibles, but as I was saying, it would take long time to set up a dungeon, and players in the other team will most propably get bored.
Ninja-Walrus said:
So is the game is multiplayer, right? What about the beta?
The game is indeed multiplayer, one team are dungeon lords and the other team are heroes plundering their dungeon.
The beta is multiplayer as well, but it can be tested in singleplayer, just type -test while playing as red player.

Level 19
How about a premade base but with many Destructibles scaterered around in large clumps. I guess it would be possible to make "Buildings" for areas that are just ground textures (namely the undead one) and make certain buildings on buildable on them...
That MAY work...

Level 7
Generate a whole lot of rocks, then give the Dungeon Lord an unit with huge attacking range that can zap these rocks. Then with just a few right-clicks, you can dig out a room. :) Maybe also allow an AoE attack for quicker digging.

Level 12
Ok guys, I am going to try that. I already thought of a system: It won't be rocks, but tiles (like in DK), and diging more tiles next to each other will enable building in there. I have all the algorithms prepared, now just to code it!

EDIT: The system is working, I created tiles from elevator, and dungeon lords can easily remove them by clicking. The buildable detection script also works fine, so tomorrow or on Saturday you will have new beta (also, I added two heroes and lots of different armor types in meantime.)

Edit 2: Screenshots added. You can see red tiles which are about to be removed, and numbers on the removed ones (thats just for testing puproses, 1 means digged tile and 2 digged buildable tile)

Attachments

• dungeon1.gif
    dungeon1.gif
    83.4 KB · Views: 212
  • dungeon2.gif
    dungeon2.gif
    98.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Level 12
No, I created dummy units with elevator model (i had to edit elevator, the in-built model uses "REPLACEABLE ID 11" instead of texture, which, so far I know, doesn't work with units). When you select it, your worker will attack the unit and thereby "dig" the tile out. Screenshots coming in a minute...
Edit: new screenshots with description added

Attachments

• dungeon3.gif
    dungeon3.gif
    104.3 KB · Views: 180
  • dungeon4.gif
    dungeon4.gif
    121.6 KB · Views: 146
  • dungeon5.gif
    dungeon5.gif
    88.8 KB · Views: 216
Level 19
While the digging system works fine I have no idea how to do the lair thing :S
More info at the startup and in the Questlog!!!

You should give the dungeon player view of their dungeon, as it is confusing having blocks suddenly appear :p

EDIT. Ok I figured out how to get buildings and wow, it is great!
However, most other people wont realize on their first try so you should have info pop up when the map starts and a short pause to allow people to read it.
Have the lair terrain change for each different building type (ie. Blight etc)
What are you going to do with the old terrain?
How will the physics engine feature now?
The Boss and secondary dwelling models are the same

Last edited:
Level 12
Yeah, I know about the missing informations, I will work on that.

I don't know how to change terrain type (I use dummys for changing to blight)

The old terain is propably going to waste, but I was thinking about creating some mini-game for heroes, so they can train to cooperate and don't just wait for the dungeon lords to build the dungeon.

The scripts are not finished yet, columns and bookshelfs will spawn upon building a room, so the fire can happily spread:grin:

Thx for testing, btw. you and Lord_of_Sausage are in Credits for the new version for your help

Level 15
To make tiles:

Blight: Environment - Create/remove blight Region
or Environment - Create/remove blight raduis

Not sure about how to make other tiles, i will see if i can find out :)

EDIT
I like the digging system, but how the f*ck do i get lumber?

And you have a few problems. The Lords (or whatever it is that can choose to be necromancer, Slime, or the other thing)'s text is wierd, only the necromancers text were good.

In the quest info called "Shards" it says "|Cf00000red shards"

The lightning charger has Tooltip missing, and so on.

Last edited:
Level 12
That's exactly the problem, I found only adding/removing blight. I could use lot of ubersplats, but that is just a cosmetic issue, I will deal with this later.

You get an exact amount of lumber for each round, depending on the number of heroes against you. When testing, -test will grant wood to the "Dungeon" player, which is used to build rooms, and you can use cheat("leafittome") to get some wood for yourself to build traps.

I will fix the tooltips in the next version, I added those hastily, so the player get at least some information, so naturally they have some flaws.

Lightning charger has not only it's tooltip wrong, but is also brutally overpowered, I am changing that in next version (building them close to each other will possibly result in blowing one of them up)

Level 12
Is someone still interested in this map?
New version was just released, with some new buildings and minor improvements. The most important thing is the three-round concept of the game, so that the heroes can become really powerful. The only thing left for the first official realease is the mini-game I promised, so that the heroes won't die from boredom (as soon as the minigame is there, building time will be increased to 5 minutes, so that DL have more time to set up all of their traps)

Level 19
Yeah, Im still here :D
Dont double post

EDIT. Ok played the new version. You need to:
Fix the typos
Fix the tooltips in general
Make a way of getting friggin wood and gold!

Also work on getting the physics working (sounds like it will be awesome)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.