• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do you have a (legal) copy of the beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Unfortunately SC2 beta got so hacked or torn apart that it's like a piece of meat torn by hungry dogs.

History of SC2 Beta penetration

Phase 1:
Game was released on Feb 17th, someone uploaded the setup file on another server, thus many got to download it and say 'ZOMG I have SC2 beta installed on my PC and I can even see the log in screen!'. First signs of mapmaking issues - MPQ being openable and its files extractable.

Phase 2:
Someone discovered that by pasting some map cache and replays in the right folders and gfx file you can go beyond the main menu screen and actually see a real game replay where you can select buildings and make it almost as if you're playing it. Watching replays.

Phase 3:
Went further when someone created a Launcher and AI maps that allow you to load a map and this time not just select buildings but actually play vs computers, while the new Beta made watching new replays of others unavailable. The CPUs were very weak and it was almost useless.

Phase 4:
A new version of the Launcher and new AI maps, along with new AI scripts combined playing the latest version of Starcraft 2 with the new balance changes, playing more maps and vs stronger comptuers. Indeed incredible and exciting.

Phase 5:
Went further than ever when not only could one play vs computers, watch his own replays but now could even do some modeling with what they discovered like the source code of M3 models and now created converters, DDS texture viewers and so on. You can now even have SC2 models.

Next phase would be tp create some cheats... In other words as I say many times, no1 is a newb anymore. You don't start from zero in melee, you don't start from zero in modelling, you dont start from zero in ripping, extracting, scripting or in other words hacking. No one can stop them. It's nearly impossible someoone on our planet to not do any of the listed above. Legal copies? Blizzard are aware that 90% of the sc2 anticipants are doing any of the above...

Level 23
Unfortunately SC2 beta got so hacked or torn apart that it's like a piece of meat torn by hungry dogs.

History of SC2 Beta penetration

Phase 1:
Game was released on Feb 17th, someone uploaded the setup file on another server, thus many got to download it and say 'ZOMG I have SC2 beta installed on my PC and I can even see the log in screen!'. First signs of mapmaking issues - MPQ being openable and its files extractable.

Phase 2:
Someone discovered that by pasting some map cache and replays in the right folders and gfx file you can go beyond the main menu screen and actually see a real game replay where you can select buildings and make it almost as if you're playing it. Watching replays.

Phase 3:
Went further when someone created a Launcher and AI maps that allow you to load a map and this time not just select buildings but actually play vs computers, while the new Beta made watching new replays of others unavailable. The CPUs were very weak and it was almost useless.

Phase 4:
A new version of the Launcher and new AI maps, along with new AI scripts combined playing the latest version of Starcraft 2 with the new balance changes, playing more maps and vs stronger comptuers. Indeed incredible and exciting.

Phase 5:
Went further than ever when not only could one play vs computers, watch his own replays but now could even do some modeling with what they discovered like the source code of M3 models and now created converters, DDS texture viewers and so on. You can now even have SC2 models.

Next phase would be tp create some cheats... In other words as I say many times, no1 is a newb anymore. You don't start from zero in melee, you don't start from zero in modelling, you dont start from zero in ripping, extracting, scripting or in other words hacking. No one can stop them. It's nearly impossible someoone on our planet to not do any of the listed above. Legal copies? Blizzard are aware that 90% of the sc2 anticipants are doing any of the above...

1) Consider that a Blizzard fail - using Ladik's MPQ editor which already works for all previous games, it wasn't really a huge effort in hacking.

2, 3, 4) Skills I guess

5) It wasn't that hard to discover that m3 models are in the same standard as m2 and mdx, with some small derivations, as of what I heard

6) dds is a pretty standard file format. There is already programs who can open them and save them, for instance, Irfanview and Photoshop (with easy found plugin). Why do you need converters? As for m3, small adjustments for already existing software would probably be enough for a while.

Next step? Cheating? Oh yeah maphacks...

Level 22
Yeah but I'd say having a setup file is no big deal. Having replays isn't much since this isn't using 3rd party, all is in the MPQ. Imo still legal. Being able to enter a game with a launcher and play on AI maps is though passing the line of legality.

And yet, importing M3 models in 3ds max or milskhape makes no difference now and later when we'll do it to create maps for SC2. So if Blizzard allow editing their models, it makes no difference at the moment that someone made converters already.

What really Blizzard should focus on, is hackers in ladder. I wouldn't care that someone won't buy the game, I'll buy it for sure. But hacking in ladder just spoils the gaming experience for those who buy the game, as it happens in war3 atm.

Level 23
hacking (in a game for only self-winning) spoils a game overall... Yes they should focus more on ladder games, but it would be as much of a bitch in custom games too. Take for instead (yes this example) Dota, due to it's popularity people tend to cheat as much there, with maphack that is. Either Blizzard should keep track on those bastards, or we must have a very strong community which reports everything all the time.

I hope that Blizzard will develop more than just a lookalike wc3 world editor, but for models too. Even though this is probably not the case, it would be awesome if they did.

Level 22
Yes, today seems to be the long awaited WAVE 2, as Blizzard forums were very dead the last 2 weeks and now Blues started replying a lot. For me that's another wave of disappointment...

They told me how many games you have doesn't matter. I only see images with all games like at least 3-4 games... Nonsense - game count doesnt matter. Also is there any1 from South-East or East Europe with a key? All that I see are from US mostly, some from West EU. I dont know any1 with a key, if they want more games in the account or dont give much to the rest of Europe, that sucks. Congrats to those who won a key.

Level 22
I'll give you a hint: Many said they got their MARINE box in the acc while not receiving an email, so you should check both out coz you may have it on your acc and not in the email!

I just see how people that were on the bnet forum in the last month now come to say how they got in. More and more 'thank you' threads. For me one Big Nothing. Yes, Im from SE Europe and dont know any1 in, I have a friend in the same situation. I'm gonna stop checking these every day, maybe I'll check my mail once per week. And I still won't get in, I often happen to be in the exceptions. Let me promise myself in public that I won't check my email until next weekend... while others breaking their F5 keys if you know what I mean.

Level 23
A guy from this Swedish gaming news site got in (more of a counterpart to ign I guess. It's huge in Sweden). http://www.fz.se/
Sweden is in the north Europe in case someone wont know.

It looks like the waves are pretty synced with the time they patch the game. At least so far, but that is not an evidence to anything.

Level 3
Well, I got a beta key today, too.
Apparently I've been surprised, I thought that Blizzard won't give keys to guys like me who do not have an active WoW acc.
I haven't played SC for years and then I won actually some ladder games lol.
The engine is nice but I think it's somehow another feeling than playing old SC or WC3. The friends system is nice, tested it with a guy after a laddergame and it's really nice like Steam, you can get an invite to join a game :razz:

Level 4
got it but need the 4th patch, the downloader isnt working. someone upload the file named "sc2-0.5.0.14219-0.6.0.14259-x86-Win-enUS-game" its in the starcraft 2 beta\updates folder PLEASEPLEASE!!!!!

Level 22
Nice to hear, congrats. What games do you have. Because so far Blizzard forum convinced me that:

Most were from US that got in - fact
Most of WoWers who opted in got in - fact
Lots of those with several or all games got in - fact

I didn't see any1 with having e.g war3 roc + tft or D2 + LoD only getting in... . It's like Person A has the same PC specs as Person B. Yes but Person B has more games than Person A => Person B

Or Person A has WoW aka paid Blizzard more money, thus Person A wins!

BLIZZARD, talk about luck and such to some 13 year old kiddies that dont understand things in depth (yeah i posted it in the their forum). Just giving a logical explanation of what the so called "and other factors, including pure luck." in the Beta opt-in FAQ may mean.

Level 5
Nice to hear, congrats. What games do you have. Because so far Blizzard forum convinced me that:

Most were from US that got in - fact
Most of WoWers who opted in got in - fact
Lots of those with several or all games got in - fact

You can't really claim any of those to be facts without statistics to back it up. The people on the forums are not a reliable sample.

I got in, and tick none of those boxes above!

Level 22
Trust me, Im a VERY VERY patient person. But when I see ;I got a beta key' a hundred times and growing, I become impatient and bitter. Dont worry, I spill my disappointment in Blizzard forum and actually I promised myself nto to bother checking this dumb email until next weekend. This pretty much tells me tho that I wont be in. So I have this in mind!

You can't really claim any of those to be facts without statistics to back it up. The people on the forums are not a reliable sample.

I got in, and tick none of those boxes above!

Oh yes it does. I follow all threads and posts and this is a summary of all since wave 1. There are Europeans as well but I didnt see a screenshot have War3 + TFT boxes only. Show me and I'll change my mind.

The same goes - Europe - how do you expect me to think that they are sending enough to E&SE Europe when there was even a report of getting cery little frm these regions? Again dont know any1 from East Europe getting in.

Level 5
There are thousands of people in the beta, very few of which actually post in the forums; hence its a bad sample. Have you tried looking at the non-english forums? I've played against plenty of russians and other east europeans.

There are many more invite waves to come, and even then the game isnt that far away. (Considering we've been waiting for so many years)

Level 22
There are thousands of people in the beta, very few of which actually post in the forums; hence its a bad sample. Have you tried looking at the non-english forums? I've played against plenty of russians and other east europeans.

There are many more invite waves to come, and even then the game isnt that far away. (Considering we've been waiting for so many years)

I guess you are right about both. I think those who post in blizzard forum saying how they are not in get in the least cause blizzard exclude them

Congratulations Hawkwing, we'll have to play sometime.

PM me your username + Identifier.

I got a key yesterday :). I am quite happy with the turn out of the game...but honestly I think that SC2 is basically SC1 with better graphics. Up to now not much new stuff (Of course, its a beta). The one thing I'm really looking forward to is the Galaxy Editor :).

As am I. ^_^

Level 2
I got mine :D

friend downloaded a hacked beta with a lazyloader so he can play maps but no battle net.

Then he gave it to me :D

So i tried to play battle net and it said your account doesn't have the beta key on it.

Then 2 days later, on my battle.net account, SC2 appeared on it :D and thus, unchosen i can play it :D

Oh the game ROCKS on battle net!!! ill see if i can upload video on my livestreme

Level 12
I don't even know the history of SC1. I'm one of those guys that like history, and do not skip cinematics at any costs. Wish someone could trust me enough to let me get inside their account and download sc1 and brood war... but there ins't anyone. Hmm... and just hearing the history ins't the same, ya know? You gotta PLAY it.

Status
Not open for further replies.