• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Legality of turning a classic W3 custom map into a stand alone game

Level 3
Hi, I stumbled upon the thread about funmaps that turned into stand alone games and saw that at least one of the warlock stand alone games looks veery similar to the original. So, how close can you get to the original custom map to remain within legal territory? Background is, that a friend and I started working on creating a stand alone version of one fun map we dig, namely castle fight, and currently attempt to copy it 1:1 designwise. With recent changes to blizzards EULA (I think), it appears to perhaps be illegal (if we ever finished and sold it, that is). Does anyone know any good resource about this topic which I could read to get some insights into the legal details? Thank you!

edit: Ok, great, apparently it is perfectly legal as long as we do not use any assets owned by blizzard, see Is it legally possible to make a clone of the game?

Last edited: