• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Famous Warcraft 3 custom maps to stand-alone games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
So, I recently checked back on The Kingdom of Kaliron (a famous wc3 map), and this is what i saw on their wiki:
http://tkok.wikia.com/wiki/The_Kingdom_of_Kaliron_Wiki
they announce that the map will turn into a stand alone game (Kickstarter?)
Also, Swat: Aftermath (another famous wc3 map), the creater also decided that the wc3 engine is not enough to uptate it...... probably turn to a stand-alone game.
And Project Y4, also.....
What do you guys think?

Level 9
I DO believe that some maps, while making themselves famous in Warcraft, cannot stand a chance in real games.

Level 12
Another concept which completely was made popular by wc3 is tower defense. There are some full-priced games and countless apps with this concept.

Oh well, and there's DotA, it's successors are making tons of money and gather millions of players.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
That article must be old or withholding, as Duos ended up being kicked out of the development team.

Anyhow, of course I'd be happy to see TKoK as a stand-alone game. I played the game for about a year and I'd be more than glad to see its community expand beyond the mess of arrogant, egoistic dopes that composed it when I left and for at least a year more after that. This is assuming it does turn out to be a good game. The formula works, but at times it got dull. E.g. if the game can expand beyond limits now, the talent tree should probably be revised, and the storyline should be much, much more interesting — in wc3 TKoK the story factor is just so absent. I like that the game is fun to play, but a significant part of the reason why I play a game is also for its story.

Status
Not open for further replies.