• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Should I come back to WC3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Oh wow, it says my last visit to the Hive was on 09-19-2010.

Anyway, I guess this needs a re-introduction. I'm SantaBla/Whirlwind[Sand], better known as the founder of the infamous/famous Clan Sand (2004 - 2010?) on Northrend and custom game enthusiast. Hello clan CBS if you're still there.

As you may have guessed, I've spent quite some nostalgic years with Warcraft 3 but since I grew older, I started to get bored of it and I finally quit and moved on to Starcraft 2 and other games. I think it's been said a thousand times, but I was really disappointed in the social aspect of Starcraft 2, so there I am, not playing Starcraft 2 and not playing Warcraft 3 either.

Should I come back? I just really want to know how's the community on Warcraft 3 lately whether it's Azeroth, Lordaeron, Northrend, Kalimdor, Westfall (haha, still remember that one). Has it declined or has it been stable? Also, are those custom hosting bots still there? Because I honestly can't stand those and I feel that Warcraft 3 has lost its BNET community because of those lifeless hosting machines.

Also, how's the mapping these days? The last Wc3 marvel I played was a beta release of Kingdom of Kaliron and I just read it received an update last year. I never really mapped except for one which I did in 2003 (very amateurish, called Escape from Zombie Island 2, and I just did a quick google lookup, it's still being hosted on some wc3 sites!, might download just for nostalgia purposes!)

I hope I can hear some answers from you all.

Peace.

Level 7
Personally I think that you could/should come back to Warcraft 3 - while there are still bots, quite a few of them (Make Me Host for example) can be used to host some rare maps, which don't see the light of a day as often as they deserve. There's been an increase of a few strategy maps as well (Scar of Quel'Thalas, new DAoW, new LT, latest GotH, latest AWLR or Warhammer Age of Wrath). Warcraft 3 still lives and doesn't plan to die. xP

Level 4
Whirlwind[Sand]? :O Ur from the generation of SanD that played warlock? if so u should join the RGC community of warlock there are many old sand members there :O

(rgc is like garena but with better lag)

Level 4
I am amazed that the warcraft 3 community still lives on. I would love that it did, but when Starcraft 2 got released to many dissapeared, so the games were all just bothosts with no one in them.
That's sad, I would like it to shine ones more, bloom again.
But the fun is over I think.
I would love a Warcraft 4, but WoW took it's place, damn WoW I don't like you.

I think that Sarcraft 2 has a better Editor but the concept of Warcraft 3 is much better and you have much more models to work with.
So I would love to come back and start working on my old maps, but there seems to be none that can play them once made :/

Level 8
Whirlwind[Sand]? :O Ur from the generation of SanD that played warlock? if so u should join the RGC community of warlock there are many old sand members there :O

(rgc is like garena but with better lag)

No actually, I'm not part of the Warlock generation. I actually made Sand in 2004 and we played Snipers Remix/Elite Snipers which were quite popular in US West and US East. I tried to introduce it to Europe by having my members host it a lot of times. It did get more popular, but due to the creator not updating the Sniper map anymore, it then faded away around 2006-2007. We then switched to Elimination Tournament, as our main competitive custom, but that too faded away after a few years to be replaced by Warlock which I didn't participate in due to bad connection.

The rest of you, thanks for the input. I'll consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.