Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Should Blizzard Make WC3 Free 2 Play?

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Oct 4, 2016.

1. doom_sheep

doom_sheep

Resources:
    Resources:
    its basically been free to play for ages

be nice if bnet was supported though

2. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What if, in the process of giving us "custom skins", they opened up a functionality in the MPQ's that made modding easier/better? I'd be a fan of that.

3. sluk

sluk

Resources:
    Resources:
  4. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Official game patches are not illegal to download from reputable third-party sites. Even obsolete ones. They are not the full game.

OT: only the alternative download link allows to download the TFT patch (from Blizzard's server).
    As a rule of thumb with Softonic, one should never use their main download link. :wink:

5. sluk

sluk

Resources:
    Resources:
  6. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Am I supposed to review 664,000 more-or-less random links? :wink:

So what is your point regarding this thread's topic, may I ask?

7. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't think making it free to play is really the best way to pump life into the game. I feel simply adding the game to the battle.net launcher will get a bunch of people to come back. Most people are too lazy to dl it from the website, plus they have to deal with the cinematics crashing the game on launch if patches arent applied. We really just need to wait. Wc3 is steadily growing in popularity and if blizz actually delivers a quality patch then the future only looks brighter.

8. DaneTheBeast

DaneTheBeast

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmmm, how is it gaining popularity? Tournaments? I really don't follow the news so some sources would be appreciated

9. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's not.

10. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes Warcraft 3 should be free.

#1 It's not "Blizzard" anymore & it hasn't been for ages, it's Activision Blizzard & to be honest this new company doesn't deserve a dime.

#2 Free to play games allows more people to access it, look at LoL or Dota 2, in fact millions of people are using alternate LAN servers to play Warcraft 3 for free so your theory is illogical.

#3 Price, value, & forced paywall, this company knows it's popularity but instead would rather collect money from you.

#4 Their servers are barely operational & are flooded with hosting & channel bots. Anybody that purchases the game will have no idea how hosting bots work & this is one of the major problems this game has & "Activision Blizzard" refuses to resolve it.

#5 You probably don't understand how this game works at all, hosting bots overrule here, private LAN servers are connecting to battle net (Garena + ENT) & you honestly think they pay for their game? Would I agree to ban them? No because it's not possible to ban them unless Acti Blizz resolves the issue of private LAN bots from entering battle net servers & even then if this were to happen, everyone will just flock over to a private LAN server & nobody will play precious battle net.

Going free to play would bring everybody together instead of all these private LAN servers that are divided.

It is very simple to make a game go free. I doubt Activision Blizzard will do it only because they're a selfish company but I don't see anything wrong with trying to make a petition. I think Acti Blizz is scared of it becomming more popular than what it already is because that's exactly what would happen since all their newer games are utter shit.

You think you want Warcraft 4, but you don't.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So you're saying it's a bad thing that people want to go private? For instance, I have the original game and like to either play via LAN through GameRanger. Battle.net, never was my thing for Warcraft III. However, Battle.net 2.0 has a better interface and even a somewhat proper chat system.
    Anyways, many people like playing with their friends so why would they move to Battle.net 2.0 anyways? There needs something to attract people more than just the idea of putting them together.
    You don't know what's happening to StarCraft II right now. They can just bust in content (in the fee to pay WcIII) that people will pay for. Don't worry, they would do it if they didn't think it wasn't worth the gain from it.
    Not all and not exactly that bad but. StarCraft II managed to be the best of them. HotStorm is interesting too but that's a spinoff of four of their games. Diablo III isn't bad either. (I'm referring to gameplay as the main issue here)

12. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    actually sc2 isnt nearly big as wc3 used to be. RTS died like in 2008, degrading popularity, mobas took the action. I could pay for wc3 brand stuff as a child, asking parents for money, but I have absolutely zero desire to put now my own money into something like sc2. I believe im not the one unique around.
    sc2 != wc3 and will never be. it's totally different engines and approaches. wc3 is free mapmaking stuff, sc2 is proprietary stuff.

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What the heck is "!="? I've seen it in a previous thread. Wouldn't =/= be better suited?
    Anyways, the Galaxy Editor has tremendous power (basically you can make a tons of games with it that WcIII can't) in comparison with the World Editor. However, the SCII editor is way more complicated and does not support a campaign system (as not even the game has a custom campaign section).
    Because you knew that Warcraft III was that great before actually buying it? There are always ups and downs. It depends how much the downs affect your choice.

14. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    so does world editor, easy 2 leart, hard to master. thing is, instead of patching it, allowing something new, blizz rather started another exp for SC2, 'cause money if main target, no shame in that. having no-sources access to memory we're able to extend wc3 to compltely new level now, too bad it's way too late

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    World Editor needs a lot of extensive material to at least get near to what the unmerciful Galaxy Editor offers.

16. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    yet they both are limited tools with artificial possibilities and still no proper access to game inneries. you can't get into game's guts. and they made sc2 many years later than wc3, giving no shit about that.
    anyway, we went away from main point of topic. I'd like to pay for wc3 'cause it's have some kind of soul. it's a product with great possibilities, ready to go from the start, allowing players to be creative.
    meanwhile sc2 is pure franchise sucking off, with terms like "all your maps are belong to us" and payed patches (sorry, they call it DLC).

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, what do you expect? It's their game. How would you feel if people could alter your work how they pleased?
    It is priceless.
    Nobody has to pay for SCII patches. There is other content to pay for though. DLCs (as they stupidly call it; patches are also downloadable content....) are most of the time not free, yes.
    Do you have a source on that "all your maps belong to us" policy? Doesn't the World Editor have something similar?

18. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    wonderful. my product is popular enough for skilled people to take care of it, such game will live veeeery long time.
    Blizzard Entertainment: StarCraft II Custom Game Acceptable Use Policy

Custom Games are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Blizzard. Without limiting the foregoing, you hereby assign to Blizzard all of your rights, title and interest in and to all Custom Games, and agree that should Blizzard decide that it is necessary, you agree to execute future assignments promptly upon receiving such a request from Blizzard. Additionally, Blizzard shall have the right to maintain the Custom Game on Blizzard’s Arcade service even if the developer of the Custom Game requests that Blizzard remove the Custom Game from the Arcade service.

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Even if they don't even credit you with the name? What if someone was to use the SCII engine and say they made their own game and BlizzEnt could not take any legal action?

"Custom Game developers are not allowed to re-create single player missions or scenarios or multiplayer maps that Blizzard has created for StarCraft II."

Why? What are they afraid of, looking stupid? What if I want to do a parody?
    That paragraph is vague and doesn't imply that your idea is their property. For instance you could make your own game with the ideas you used in that SCII map.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  20. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Blizzard Entertainment: Battle.net End User License Agreement

Certain Games, such as “StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty®”, and “StarCraft® II: Heart of the Swarm™”, include software that will allow you to create custom games, levels, maps, scenarios or other content (“Custom Games”) for use in connection with the Game (hereafter referred as “Game Editor(s)”). For purposes of this Agreement and any agreements referenced herein, “Custom Games” includes the digital files associated with such custom games, levels, maps, scenarios, and other content, as well as (1) all content contained within such files, including but not limited to player and non-player characters, audio and video elements, environments, objects, items, skins, and textures, (2) all titles, trademarks, trade names, character names, or other names and phrases included within the Custom Game, and (3) any other intellectual property rights contained within the Custom Game, including any and all content, game concepts, methods or ideas. A Custom Game may only be used with the Game’s engine that is associated with a particular Game Editor. The manner in which Custom Games can be used or exploited is set forth in the StarCraft II Custom Game Acceptable Use Policy, the terms of which are incorporated into this Agreement by this reference, and which can be found at Blizzard Entertainment: StarCraft II Custom Game Acceptable Use Policy. Blizzard may modify, remove, disable, or delete Custom Games at any time in its sole and absolute discretion.