1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Should Blizzard Make WC3 Free 2 Play?

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Oct 4, 2016.

1. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As the title says.

Inspired by @CNiper 's thread on Diplo Make Warcraft 3 Free to Play

2. Rex.

Rex.

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Totally support it. Blizzard can count on Overwatch and other stuff to earn cash but not War3.

3. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Free to Play? WarCraft?
    Urgh...

No, no it shouldn't.
    It's only 10 bucks anyway.
    Let Blizzard have a bit money for their work, it's not
    even much.

4. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, that's one of the arguments on the con side I understand. And heh, it's $20. RoC is quite dead and not really worth it alone for $10.

I'm still more neutral on the matter, but I considered this:
    Warcraft 3 is one of the most pirated games in the world. Outside of first world countries, WC3 seems to be more pirated than not, and they can reduce that amount by making it free. Thus, pirated servers would be more obsolete, and the Battle.net realms would get a big boost and Blizzard could make money... somehow? Ideas such as available DLC, buy-able skins might not be too far fetched.

We're seeing more and more classic game activity from Blizzard staff (if you follow their website, advertisements, and social media, you'll notice classic game job hirings and teasing).

5. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    who needs battle net? with this big delay, lack of proper ghost bot, closed infrastructure, etc? like, literally, why would you need it?

6. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Interesting idea.

Though it's not a big deal, let's be honest those who don't want to pay has gotten wc3 one way or another.

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think I might be behind this. Even though I gladly paid the $20 for the battlechest (manuals woohoo!), I can see the benefits.

8. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Piracy is no reason to make anything F2P.

If you can afford a computer and internet,
    then you can also afford 10 bucks.

9. Emm-A-

Emm-A-

Resources:
    Resources:
    Interesting. Would be great to get more people coming back, but would this be the people, one is searching for?
    It would most probably be the same casual noobs, that jump from any f2p to the next one, so in the end one might end up the same after a short burst of popularity.
    Another con might be that blizzard may stop any patching if the game was F2P? And we all really need that putative map size increase first, you know that :p

10. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not really,I don't really see any use.I think anybody who has had interest in it has gotten it,it's been a decade
    Also,it's not THAT expensive,and it IS worth the price.

Please no.Don't do this.

11. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Blizzard would first release WC: Orcs and Humans, as well as WCII, as official free downloads. Which is still currently not the case, btw:
    https://us.battle.net/account/download#classic

Sadly, select physical editions of the Warcraft movie do not include a licence key for WC3 as well. A missed opportunity I would say...

True.
    Or even less (please see Spoiler)

12. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    ...And Blizz will care for this petition as much as they cared for millions of requests for wc4...

13. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    True.I doubt they will even notice it,or even acknowledge it

14. DaneTheBeast

DaneTheBeast

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's been 13 years, I think it would be fine... They already made 99,99% of income they will ever make on the game

15. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, Warcraft 3 should never be free. Actually it already is too cheap, such a great game deserves more than it is offered to be. I'm glad that I purchased my copy of Warcraft 3 and I highly recommend others to do the same and support Blizzard by making them a revenue from classic games.

Now you would probably think why?

Selling games allows more people to access it from retail stores and it provides a good revenue for Blizzard who still supports the game in patches and tournaments.

Secondly, the game has a price and it shows that it has a value. Having a value is important as it can affect the life of the game. Warcraft 3 has been selling for over 10+ years and it has aged quite well. Also, ever noticed how most older games are still being sold nowdays?

If the game was free, then it is most likely that it would no longer be maintained or supported by Blizzard. For example no newer patches or customer support would be provided. You can look at Warcraft 1 and 2, they are no longer supported and no longer sold by Blizzard. The last remaining copies are from various resellers and used copies which you can find in online stores.

A lot of people here probably don't understand how game industry or marketing works. It's not as simple as making the game "free".

I'm assured that the petition is a waste of time and will be thankfully ignored.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  16. apcrabnightlive

apcrabnightlive

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't agree with this free to play petition, we should support Blizzard in another way.

17. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    responses bolded
    tl;dr ya wrong, everywhere

signed the petition.
    at the very least, wc3 multiplayer should be free, just like sc2 arcade is.

18. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Good for you, as I've said the petition is a waste of time.

19. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I heartily disagree with the notion. Warcraft III shouldn't be turned into a cashcow. The game is beyond repute. It is a divine source of creativity.

20. ZerGreenOne

ZerGreenOne

Resources:
    Resources:
    I originally agreed with the idea of making wc3 free to play, but then reading some of the responses to it I changed my mind.

I don't think it would be a huge detriment to Blizzard's income, but on the other hand anyone who wants it can probably afford to buy it.

I don't think that it would really provide much of a boost to the playerbase. Maybe it would cause a temporary boost for a week or so, then everything would go back to normal as all the casuals interested in such an offer leave.

I don't agree that piracy is a reason to make warcraft free. It is sort of just giving in to piracy, and I do not believe in that.

I certainly don't want buyable skins, and it is unlikely that anyone at Blizzard has the time to make decent ones as part of such a weird, gimmicky and unlikely to be fruitful investment. If they worked with the hive community, maybe I could see it happening and working out.

I don't think that selling games does allow more people to access it, if anything getting it online from the blizzard site is easier.

I do think that the game having a value is important, if only out of pride for the game.

I do not think it would decrease the amount of support the game already has, because that support is already there. It might possibly however decrease the amount of support given to the game in the future.

I do not believe that wc3 should be made free to play.