• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 - What custom maps have gone stand alone?

Level 5
Hey guys, happy to be back at The Hive.

Was wondering if anyone has put together a comprehensive list of Warcraft 3 custom maps that have, or have attempted to, or are in the process of going the route of a fully fledged stand alone title.

DotA
Dota 2 on Steam

Legion TD
Save 50% on Legion TD 2 - Multiplayer Tower Defense on Steam

Elemental TD
Save 50% on Element TD on Steam
Save 10% on Element TD 2 - Multiplayer Tower Defense on Steam

Warlock Brawl
Spellsworn on Steam
Blast Out on Steam
MageQuit on Steam
Circle Brawl on Steam

Line Tower Wars
Unleash on Steam
Shepherds of the Abyss on Steam

I'll be writing a blogpost about this and would love your help! You can also throw what maps you'd LOVE to be a stand alone as well ;)

Level 8
This is not the exact thing you are researching but it could be useful to know what kind of game mechanics and new concepts that were spawned by the Wc3 mod scene that were later USED by stand alone titles. I know a few ones.
Clash titles and Minion Masters drawed clear inspiration from Card Shuffle WC3 Mod (dead) and other similar mod successors. We are talking year 2006~ (i'm assuming all these things from the data on this site). A much more known WC3 Mod just as ancient is the very spreaded and still kicking Castle Fight. On a side note, i'm developing a map that will atempt to resurrect Card Shuffle mechanics (+features) SOON.
I think there is a stand alone title on steam called Hero Siege but i don't know its actual gameplay, one could bet it drawed from Hero Siege WC3 Mods.
As the core mechanics are very similar i'm pretty sure Pokemon Legends WC3 Mod and mod successors were historical predecessors of AutoChess Dota2 Mod, Dota Underlords, Teamfight Tactics and the like, so you could say these last titles drawed the inspiration on the first and not viceversa

Level 5
This is not the exact thing you are researching but it could be useful to know what kind of game mechanics and new concepts that were spawned by the Wc3 mod scene that were later USED by stand alone titles. I know a few ones.

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply, I'd also be looking into the history of certain mechanics as well! And good luck on your map. :ogre_kawaii:

Level 5
Dwarven Monster Slayers I recall also has standalone game, if memory preserves right.

Awesome. I'll look into it!

Also worth mentioning to anyone else: Do you know of games that have been inspired by mechanics on Wc3 custom maps?

Level 3
Hello. I made a similar thread before, but I posted it on a WE-oriented Facebook group.
Here are the things that you may have missed on this particular topic:

1. HellHalt TD
HellHalt (currently being developed by the original creators, this one is announced recently so the trailer is the only available material)
2. Rise of Winterchill
Causeway (currently being developed by the creators of RoW & Dota Outland and EoTA, Sofmints and Darnyak)
3. Civilization Wars
Epic Epochs (currently being updated by its original creator, Dangime)
4. Impossible Bosses
NEO Impossible Bosses
5. Island Defense
Island Defense (discontinued)
6. Dota Chaos (a Korean version of Dota before the All-Stars era)
Chaos Heroes Online (dead)
7. Vampirism
Sands of Osiris (no updates since 2014)
8. (Inspired by) Warlock Brawl
Corroded (dead)
Acolyte Fight
9. (Inspired by) Angel Arena
King's Vessel (discontinued)
10. (Probably inspired by) Castle Fight
Rise of Legions
11. (Probably inspired by) Legion TD
Hellfire Fortress

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
Awesome. I'll look into it!

Also worth mentioning to anyone else: Do you know of games that have been inspired by mechanics on Wc3 custom maps?
if it counts, DotA 2 has gotten their first ORPG: Reincarnation RPG

though I've yet to see an actual standalone ORPG or some one-shot Life-of-a-Peasant games

Level 2
A real tragedy is that Battleships Crossfire kind of died in its crib when its developers attempted to launch a Kickstarter for a standalone remake. Of any Warcraft III map, I think that would make the best standalone game - the problem was that the developers came across as unprepared for industrial standard game development.

The current project that I have the most faith in is Evolution Tag.

Last edited:
Level 3
The current project that I have the most faith in is Evolution Tag.
Check this one out too:

Level 2
Check this one out too:
I generally love seeing mods get adapted into standalone games, (hello, Dota 2 & Legion TD 2), but I'm not exactly feeling it with this one. I wish the developer put more effort into the game's fidelity, as it visually looks like the Warcraft III models were brazenly ripped in poorer detail.