• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maps as Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Do you sometimes feel, while playing an innovative map that looks like stand-alone game(ehem Silent Hill or Kingdom of Kaliron), that it IS a stand-alone game? There are so much of maps like that, and they all look like it is not WC3. Examples:
-Silent Hill: Forgotten
-The Kingdom of Kaliron
-Dark Invasion 2
-A Master's Prejudice
-Pyritie's Adventure
-Combat Zone 3.6
-Modern Warfare
-Diablo 3
-Neverwinter Nights RPG
-and much, much more...
3 Best from this list are: The Kingdom of Kaliron, Modern Warfare and Combat Zone 3.6.
If you know for others, just tell. Don't you just enjoy while playing a perfect map?

Level 9
No, I don't. Because the lowpoly models and the annoying UI will always disturb me. As long as the map has some resemblance to WC3 I will not think of it as a new game.

The fact that WC3 also does plenty stuff badly will also add to my feeling about a map never being a standalone game. Also, most maps nowadays aren't creative enough; they still use the combat system of WC3, the movement of WC3 - pretty much everything.

However Modern Warfare is pretty close.

Level 3
I bet my head that somebody will say that DotA looks like a perfect new game.

Heh, all of my contacts call Warcraft, DotA instead because that's the usual thing they play.

They say shit like Dota Editor.

Dude, how do I install DotA?

I installed DotA from a disc called Warcraft. But I can't find DotA in campaign or custom game.

DotA has a new version. It's called 1.23

I never knew that game was 3 MB in total! But when I clicked on it, nothing happened.

When will Blizzard release the latest version of DotA?

Let's play Pudge Wars.

What's that?

A game from DotA.

Basically, it's something I have to live with.

Even if DotA isn't my favorite game, I thank it for helping Blizzard.

Level 12
OK, if DotA is a game, there is another 10.000 AoS maps like DotA out there and they should all be games? NOT. And, dude, in what time do you live? Latest version is 6.56. That 1.23 is made in 2003!!! -this guy actually does not know a s**t about Warcraft 3?-
He means the wc3 patch 1.23 lol. Too true though, many people i know call wc3 DotA as well.

Level 3
Who said I nominated DotA as a stand alone like?

You viewed my post differently.

From the point in "DotA Editor" and below until (I hope you know where until)

Is what I've heard from my friends.

Please, before I explain my previous thread even more, can you at least try to be more considerate?

Level 6
A lot of maps have the potential to be a separate game, but because of the Wc3 limits, all maps will always be Wc3, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.