1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Do you have a (legal) copy of the beta?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by Pyritie, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well I reported two sites to Blizzard that had potentially unwanted effect on further hacking sc2. They found for instance, a beginning of what could be the trick to create a pirated server =/

2. togera90

togera90

Resources:
    Resources:
    whats a beta? like when you go to the nerd convention and they give them out like a trail or something?

3. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Playing Starcraft 2 beta is like infiltrating a place where they keep the new fashionable clothes and shoes and you wear them before they are even released on the market. The same feeling me thinx. So ye

I dont even report things to Blizzard coz when you link a bad site to them they may say - ok this is illegal but what were you doing there in the 1st place/ how do u know it, trying to patch it? That's why I'm afraid of reporting to Blizzard.

4. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Meh... they should be grateful of people reporting the sites so that they can fix it. What if I look after those sites, simply because I want to know if they exists and report them to Blizzard. And since when would they say that? Lol.

... Also, they are almost never replying back. About 1/10 times or something

5. thelifelessone

thelifelessone

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    lol.

Anyone could make a private server for SC2.
    Just download PvPGN, which already emulates a battle.net server, and do the coding needed to allow SC2 clients to connect.
    It's a bit (a lot) more complicated than that, but still. Anyone who knows C/C++ can do it.

6. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Okay, go ahead

7. callex

callex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Not sure how map downloads would work on a private server. I guess they'd have to seed them on a website or something? Either way, people playing privately will be dissapointed ^^ the game is very much a beta and is packed to the brim with bugs and tech issues.

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    TheLifelessOne, did you actually think before posting?
    Firstly that was a battlenet 1.0 emulator client. We are talking about Battlenet 2.0.
    Secondly the entire loggin system is different from battlenet 1.0.

Lets do some comparisions shell we...

Maps
    1.0 - Downloaded via game host to players.
    2.0 - Downloaded from battlenet to user.

Loggin
    1.0 - Uses CDkey used to install game, unlimited accounts could be made with that key.
    2.0 - Uses CDkey attached to your external battlenet account, all playernames link to that account does not matter.

Achievements
    1.0 - No real achievements next to unlockable chat icons.
    2.0 - WoW, SC2 and D3 achievements can be unlocked and attached to your battlenet account for all to see.

Map DRM
    1.0 - None what so ever, the thousands of green TDs and LoaPs prove this.
    2.0 - Handled by battlenet, preventing and possibly banning ill obtained or hacked maps and their authors.

Ladder match clients.
    1.0 - Well I know little about this but all I know is it is rather simple.
    2.0 - Auto player matching based on the WoW principle of leagues and points within them.

Singleplayer.
    1.0 - Could not be logged into battlenet while playing singleplayer or campaigns.
    2.0 - Able to loggin to battlenet account and then stay connected to battlenet while playing singleplayer so that you can chat with friends (well I can not confirm this but I guess it is prety obvious and certain as a lot of games have this nowdays).

Friend system.
    1.0 - Finite friends list size, friends limited to same game as you.
    2.0 - Multi level friends list with a lose list for aquatences you meet playing and a realfriends list for proper friends which lets you keep in contact with them no mater the blizzard game they are playing.

Chat (this probably does not affect the actual servers)
    1.0 - Text only.
    2.0 - Text with voice support.

As you can see the server software is totally different, if not totally new and made from scratch. Yes anyone who can code C/C++ could probably reverse engineer it but that will firstly take years and secondly it is highly illegal and will result in legal action (that has happened before).

9. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks like B.net made a huge step forward. But still, I'm sure that after some time hackers will still find a way to hack it.

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Even if they do, battlenet will take more action for a while as it will be a new game.

11. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Yup... hmmm, I still don't have the approval to be beta-tester message. I'll be disapointed if I won't get any...

12. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
  13. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Encyclopedia dramatica crazed hackers? weird...

14. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Instead of being sad of not receiving, be normal. And be happy if you do receive!

15. Gleeful

Gleeful

Resources:
    Resources:
    Check your emails guys, a new wave of keys just went out, and I just got my second beta key :)

16. RoughneckLeader

RoughneckLeader

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Woa dude, lucky! I hope I'm in the next wave, as I didn't get one.

Hey, you don't have a use for that second one... ;) :p naw, don't have to give me it. I'm sure there are many more that are far more desperate than me; if you give it away.

17. Bloody_Turds

Bloody_Turds

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    @second key..
    either your really lucky, or bnet is giving out a hella lota keys, would be epic if they just let everyone play the beta ;0, i mean they made a "demo" version of warcraft 3, why not make the beta the demo and save a lota work..

18. ACdestinydream

ACdestinydream

Resources:
    Resources:
    u must be lost in ur own dimension lol. bnet gave keys to beta to test different com specs and how will they work, not to download it in some stupid website then play it in a 10min demo.

19. SasuhKun

SasuhKun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Now not only my account ins't active, they banned it or whatever. I just can't login in it anymore. Jerks.

20. Warhunter

Warhunter

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Aww.. you're soo lucky! I would be moore then happy to get 1 beta key..
    I almost think I whon't get into the beta. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.