• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do you have a (legal) copy of the beta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Not.

Blizzard are officially saying that it doesnt matter how many games you have purchased, your chances remain the same. However, they have this hidden thing that WoWers for paying money are to great extent those chosen and as confirmed by others most of them are letting their keys rot in their emails while playing sc2 for 1 day then going back to WoW..

Level 15
Not.

Blizzard are officially saying that it doesnt matter how many games you have purchased, your chances remain the same. However, they have this hidden thing that WoWers for paying money are to great extent those chosen and as confirmed by others most of them are letting their keys rot in their emails while playing sc2 for 1 day then going back to WoW..

Where in the world are you getting all of this information? It's hard to take you seriously without any sources provided.

Level 5
Few days ago, I recieved a beta key on my phone, but the phone number was inputed as "No Caller Information", so I think mine is illegal.
I got it, and looked everywhere, and couldnt find a place to put the beta key in, so I think there are ppl that would like to prank you or give you fakes, unless Blizzard releases them soon, or sooner.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Apparently some "crack" to allow "full online play" was released as well as the first wave of "maphacks" yesterday.

The cracks I can not say much about as they are highly illegal and void the terms of use of both SC2 beta and THW. All I can say it is still to early to tell weather these are scams or not trying to infect your PC with trojens and I give them a 95% chance of being totally unsafe and ending up damaging you in some way (PC or otherwise).

The map hack is possible, as they probably have minimal protection running as this is not the full battlenet service and the game is very buggy and change prone so they could report false positives and such. However no one has reported people using one on battlenet which also places this as probable scam.

So far neithor of the above have been raised on battlenet forums (where any such ingame issues would be raised) which is why I believe they are fakes designed to try and damage foolish or young people who are desperate. Both were released recently (around the same time of the same day 20/2/10) so it is possible they are just unknown but be aware that people will use this situation (your desparatness) to try and scam you with false promisis and hope.

Thus I warn people here to stay well away from both the above mentioned as you will only end up losing. The crack most likly being a trojen for viruses and the maphack being keylogger software to steal your account information. What ever you do, do not think getting into a beta is that easy and so sit back and wait for a genuine invite from blizzard.

I am posting this as a genuine warning as many people here seem like the kind to fall for this sort of scam.

Level 5
I'm having a little trouble with the legit beta myself. All of the maps are centralised now; you have to download them from blizzard before you can use them. For me and a few others though, the download system doesnt work very well, so I'm kinda stuck playing the one map I could get against very easy AI's ><

Still, better than nothing I suppose.

Level 27
Apparently some "crack" to allow "full online play" was released as well as the first wave of "maphacks" yesterday.

The cracks I can not say much about as they are highly illegal and void the terms of use of both SC2 beta and THW. All I can say it is still to early to tell weather these are scams or not trying to infect your PC with trojens and I give them a 95% chance of being totally unsafe and ending up damaging you in some way (PC or otherwise).

The map hack is possible, as they probably have minimal protection running as this is not the full battlenet service and the game is very buggy and change prone so they could report false positives and such. However no one has reported people using one on battlenet which also places this as probable scam.

So far neithor of the above have been raised on battlenet forums (where any such ingame issues would be raised) which is why I believe they are fakes designed to try and damage foolish or young people who are desperate. Both were released recently (around the same time of the same day 20/2/10) so it is possible they are just unknown but be aware that people will use this situation (your desparatness) to try and scam you with false promisis and hope.

Thus I warn people here to stay well away from both the above mentioned as you will only end up losing. The crack most likly being a trojen for viruses and the maphack being keylogger software to steal your account information. What ever you do, do not think getting into a beta is that easy and so sit back and wait for a genuine invite from blizzard.

I am posting this as a genuine warning as many people here seem like the kind to fall for this sort of scam.

Thats an immportant information, you should make a whole thread to notificate people about this. We don't want Hivers beeing keylogged and hacked, do we?

Level 22
Where in the world are you getting all of this information? It's hard to take you seriously without any sources provided.

I don't wanna waste time through searching old threads and where they are but the one saying whether more games increases your chances or not is in the Beta-Opt in FAQ and the answer is: not. Though getting more WoWers may be smth Blizzard forgot to mention. I read only from the Blizzard forum and the blue letters.

As for cracks, I advise people not to even try it, I personally wouldn't like my chances completely gone because of that. Again from what I read in the Bliz forum, some have tried to get on there and it seems it is a scam. Good, because I didn't like seeing hacking into SC2.

Last edited:
Level 3
Everything about Sc2 on the internet is from like 2007-2008, And it looks almost done in some of them, why isn't it out yet? some people thought the actual game would be out Oct 2008. The game should have come out years ago :csad:

Level 19
I don't wanna waste time through searching old threads and where they are but the one saying whether more games increases your chances or not is in the Beta-Opt in FAQ and the answer is: not. Though getting more WoWers may be smth Blizzard forgot to mention. I read only from the Blizzard forum and the blue letters.

As for cracks, I advise people not to even try it, I personally wouldn't like my chances completely gone because of that. Again from what I read in the Bliz forum, some have tried to get on there and it seems it is a scam. Good, because I didn't like seeing hacking into SC2.

You are correct that Blizzard doesn't care how many games you actually got as long you have at least 1. And some hardware they want to test on.

Everything about Sc2 on the internet is from like 2007-2008, And it looks almost done in some of them, why isn't it out yet? some people thought the actual game would be out Oct 2008. The game should have come out years ago :csad:

Stop making silly questions. They're testing Battle.net 2.0 out ATM and are adding more features as the beta progresses. And they are fine tuning StarCraft II.

Level 23
Well I reported two sites to Blizzard that had potentially unwanted effect on further hacking sc2. They found for instance, a beginning of what could be the trick to create a pirated server =/

Level 22
Playing Starcraft 2 beta is like infiltrating a place where they keep the new fashionable clothes and shoes and you wear them before they are even released on the market. The same feeling me thinx. So ye

Well I reported two sites to Blizzard that had potentially unwanted effect on further hacking sc2. They found for instance, a beginning of what could be the trick to create a pirated server =/

I dont even report things to Blizzard coz when you link a bad site to them they may say - ok this is illegal but what were you doing there in the 1st place/ how do u know it, trying to patch it? That's why I'm afraid of reporting to Blizzard.

Level 23
Meh... they should be grateful of people reporting the sites so that they can fix it. What if I look after those sites, simply because I want to know if they exists and report them to Blizzard. And since when would they say that? Lol.

... Also, they are almost never replying back. About 1/10 times or something

lol.

Anyone could make a private server for SC2.
Just download PvPGN, which already emulates a battle.net server, and do the coding needed to allow SC2 clients to connect.
It's a bit (a lot) more complicated than that, but still. Anyone who knows C/C++ can do it.

Level 5
Not sure how map downloads would work on a private server. I guess they'd have to seed them on a website or something? Either way, people playing privately will be dissapointed ^^ the game is very much a beta and is packed to the brim with bugs and tech issues.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
TheLifelessOne, did you actually think before posting?
Firstly that was a battlenet 1.0 emulator client. We are talking about Battlenet 2.0.
Secondly the entire loggin system is different from battlenet 1.0.

Lets do some comparisions shell we...

Maps
1.0 - Downloaded via game host to players.
2.0 - Downloaded from battlenet to user.

Loggin
1.0 - Uses CDkey used to install game, unlimited accounts could be made with that key.
2.0 - Uses CDkey attached to your external battlenet account, all playernames link to that account does not matter.

Achievements
1.0 - No real achievements next to unlockable chat icons.
2.0 - WoW, SC2 and D3 achievements can be unlocked and attached to your battlenet account for all to see.

Map DRM
1.0 - None what so ever, the thousands of green TDs and LoaPs prove this.
2.0 - Handled by battlenet, preventing and possibly banning ill obtained or hacked maps and their authors.

Ladder match clients.
1.0 - Well I know little about this but all I know is it is rather simple.
2.0 - Auto player matching based on the WoW principle of leagues and points within them.

Singleplayer.
1.0 - Could not be logged into battlenet while playing singleplayer or campaigns.
2.0 - Able to loggin to battlenet account and then stay connected to battlenet while playing singleplayer so that you can chat with friends (well I can not confirm this but I guess it is prety obvious and certain as a lot of games have this nowdays).

Friend system.
1.0 - Finite friends list size, friends limited to same game as you.
2.0 - Multi level friends list with a lose list for aquatences you meet playing and a realfriends list for proper friends which lets you keep in contact with them no mater the blizzard game they are playing.

Chat (this probably does not affect the actual servers)
1.0 - Text only.
2.0 - Text with voice support.

As you can see the server software is totally different, if not totally new and made from scratch. Yes anyone who can code C/C++ could probably reverse engineer it but that will firstly take years and secondly it is highly illegal and will result in legal action (that has happened before).

Level 27
TheLifelessOne, did you actually think before posting?
Firstly that was a battlenet 1.0 emulator client. We are talking about Battlenet 2.0.
Secondly the entire loggin system is different from battlenet 1.0.

Lets do some comparisions shell we...

Maps
1.0 - Downloaded via game host to players.
2.0 - Downloaded from battlenet to user.

Loggin
1.0 - Uses CDkey used to install game, unlimited accounts could be made with that key.
2.0 - Uses CDkey attached to your external battlenet account, all playernames link to that account does not matter.

Achievements
1.0 - No real achievements next to unlockable chat icons.
2.0 - WoW, SC2 and D3 achievements can be unlocked and attached to your battlenet account for all to see.

Map DRM
1.0 - None what so ever, the thousands of green TDs and LoaPs prove this.
2.0 - Handled by battlenet, preventing and possibly banning ill obtained or hacked maps and their authors.

Ladder match clients.
1.0 - Well I know little about this but all I know is it is rather simple.
2.0 - Auto player matching based on the WoW principle of leagues and points within them.

Singleplayer.
1.0 - Could not be logged into battlenet while playing singleplayer or campaigns.
2.0 - Able to loggin to battlenet account and then stay connected to battlenet while playing singleplayer so that you can chat with friends (well I can not confirm this but I guess it is prety obvious and certain as a lot of games have this nowdays).

Friend system.
1.0 - Finite friends list size, friends limited to same game as you.
2.0 - Multi level friends list with a lose list for aquatences you meet playing and a realfriends list for proper friends which lets you keep in contact with them no mater the blizzard game they are playing.

Chat (this probably does not affect the actual servers)
1.0 - Text only.
2.0 - Text with voice support.

As you can see the server software is totally different, if not totally new and made from scratch. Yes anyone who can code C/C++ could probably reverse engineer it but that will firstly take years and secondly it is highly illegal and will result in legal action (that has happened before).

Looks like B.net made a huge step forward. But still, I'm sure that after some time hackers will still find a way to hack it.

Level 9
@second key..
either your really lucky, or bnet is giving out a hella lota keys, would be epic if they just let everyone play the beta ;0, i mean they made a "demo" version of warcraft 3, why not make the beta the demo and save a lota work..

u must be lost in ur own dimension lol. bnet gave keys to beta to test different com specs and how will they work, not to download it in some stupid website then play it in a 10min demo.

Level 18
Legal.....no but come on!Look at the coolness
158487-albums2444-picture25321.jpg

And Im runing this on low....

Status
Not open for further replies.