• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Discuss Film & TV Series - Ratings & Recommendations

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Last week a frustration has grown within me. I am growing pretty sick of it all. Sick of living in a town that's battered by gales 360 days a year, sick of attending lectures you eventually didn't pay any attention to, and most of all sick of working for people that treat you like a small-time criminal for spending 2 years of your life trying to make it a better place. A living campus[sic] is what the institute called it, in the same breath as the significance of having it, and how exceptionally good we students are at achieving it, was pointed out. While disentangling that mess they do everything in their power to thwart the very thing they want to promote by retracting student facilities and dispatching their watchdog legions on any student treading on the grounds with alcohol higher than Class 1. It's always a creeping funny feeling when you run into a security guard that identifies you straight away and impulsively asks for your identification, whether you're by a computer studying up on lecture notes or hanging naked from some drainpipes.

Examination in two days. 02:40 am and just finished my midnight laundry. Soothing sensation to be wearing clean undies again, even though it's more comfortable without. Why do you spend $15 on clothes few people even see you wear, especially when the production costs for 9-year old Maheswaran to color the product in chemical colorants is roughly a couple cents (including the costs of packaging and shipments from the suburbs to Bangladore)?

Off to brush my teeth. End of October. About 10 months since I chipped my incisors on a surprisingly malevolent ice patch. Just about to file the papers to the insurance company and hope they'll be nice and friendly enough to pay for repairs in full. In the first time since the dawn of mankind you're able to completely deform your face and have it reconstructed by a bunch of experts, and have the whole shebang paid for by some super franchise that generally knows more about you and the risks you pose than your girlfriend knows about hair products. Lucky for me grad students are seen as creatures of low risk and fine mental health.

While I'm sitting there massaging my choppers, I log on my computer and open /home/ph/downloads. I see a folder called "Stalker(1979)(Retail*Multisubs)*Hornigold*TBS". Barely remember downloading it. Execute the *.iso and start watching it. Couple minutes later I stop it to reflect. Why the hell haven't I seen this before? 03:20 am... So I've been sitting here stroking my palate for half an hour?

Stomach is starting to growl. Manages to find some moldy bread slices and a crust of cheese. Even borrow some butter from a neighbour in our joint kitchen. It's gotta be glamorous.

I award the film 4.5/5 animal droppings

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Watched a part of the film Piranha. Now I stopped watching after the piranhas attacked the uni pool and the boat with the guy who was left with 2 strings of tissue as legs... man I feel dizzy and I'm about to throw up D:
(...) I advise caution. Compared to it, Resident Evil looks cute.
It's not like the huge sex party wasn't asking for a bite until the piranhas actually got there.

Haven't seen the purge, but Now You See Me is brilliant :smile: Got it recommended by my sister.

eh, I didn't actually like Now You See Me that much. It was entertaining and interesting at first, but I didn't like how it played out.
And Morgan Freeman isn't supposed to be wrong. Ever.

If you want to see some cool magic-related movies, I'd recommend watching The Prestige and The Illusionist.

Level 35
eh, I didn't actually like Now You See Me that much. It was entertaining and interesting at first, but I didn't like how it played out.
And Morgan Freeman isn't supposed to be wrong. Ever.

If you want to see some cool magic-related movies, I'd recommend watching The Prestige and The Illusionist.

While I do agree that it felt wrong that he wasn't right, I recommend the movie for its entertainment value. Granted I might have liked a slightly different twist, but well - water under the bridge as it is one of the few less serious magic based heist movies.

The Illusionist is a splendid movie, its just darker in atmosphere and plot, making it hard to compare it to Now You See Me - given the rather different setting, even though I agree that the Illusionist is a better story with a higher value.

Haven't seen the prestige, but while it sounds interesting it also gives me the impression of a darker movie. And thats what I liked about Now You See Me, that it is in fact not that dark in tone and is a lighter outlook.

Guess its a matter of perspective; if one is looking for a humorous heist movie with magic tricks: Now You See Me is brilliant and one of the few.

If your looking for a drama / thriller with a touch of magic tricks and story of life: Go with the Illusionist.

But I am judging them by their own standards, not by comparing them to a different type of movie.

Level 23
I LOL'ed with the movie Seoul Raiders. The detective (The protagonist) is kinda stupid yet really awesome at the same time, the only thing I don't like is that fact that the plot deals with multi-million dollar trades yet I haven't seen a single firearm being fired all throughout the movie. Talk about stupid villains.

Level 36
I'd prefer if a series's success wasn't dependent on that :<

That's a critique to the viewers, not the makers.

And the makers of the show aren't being "excessive" concerning what it's based on,
the books. And the books in turn is written by a writer that isn't afraid of showing or
telling the reality of things, even if it is a work of fiction.

Obviously I respect your right to dislike it, your right to prefer more... Demure and
ignorant based TV shows. But don't falsely acclaim a show as "excessive" unless it
actually deserves the entitlement. It's offensive.

If only the damn actors did not work on the Hobbit... We would get more Sherlock then.

The Hobbit is amazing, though.

And, also, do you think Sherlock would've been as good if it was mass produced? >.>
- Food for thought!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The Hobbit is amazing, though.
If its anything like the other Lord of the Rings films then no... God they were so boring even the Lego game based on them was a disappointment.

And, also, do you think Sherlock would've been as good if it was mass produced?
Who said anything about mass production? Season 3 was put on hold because of the Hobbit stealing the main actors away. If there was no Hobbit film we would have had season 3 over a year ago and likely be in the filming process of season 4. Now season 4 has just been issued but the actors are not available due to the filming of the hobbit sequel. This means we are look at between 2016 and 2017 for the next season.

Level 36
If its anything like the other Lord of the Rings films then no... God they were so boring...

I'd say they're not, but it's obviously all a matter of opinion.
For one, I can say the second movie was infinitely better than the first.

even the Lego game based on them was a disappointment.

Had you honestly expected it to be good? >.>

Who said anything about mass production?

Admittedly, I exaggerated for effect.

I respectively stand by my opinion, though, that the extra time they're "given" to
develop the shows before they film them is part of what makes Sherlock such a
quality thing. Obviously I've got no way of proving that and so it's merely an opinion.
- Anyway, reality is as reality is. There's no use bitching about something one can't
change.

Level 9
Have anybody watched The Hunger Games both parts? My pals said it was good.
For anyone who enjoys scary movies that has parasites, watch The Bay. Crazy scary.

Last night, I watch Paranormal Activity 4. I really like those films that use cameras instead of normal. And now, anybody recommened a good movie/series about aliens?

Level 36
Have anybody watched The Hunger Games both parts? My pals said it was good.

Meh, watched the first movie and felt like it was a poor hollywood version of Battle Royal.

Suffice to say, if you don't mind Asian speech and you DO like the hunger games, you're likely
going to like Battle Royal too, it's infinitely more brutal, but it's also infinitely more clever about
the psychological duress that is to be compromised to a certain location and knowing you have
to kill everyone else to get out of it alive.

Level 9
Just watched both parts of Battle Royale. Shit, the plot even more crazy than Hunger Games. Forcing a class of middle-school students to kill eachother..... Crazy. Just crazy. But f***ing awsome!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Sounds as dumb as Avatar. Its the future yet soldiers and manned aircraft dominate private militaries? Even Amazon today has licences to fly drones in the air in some countries, let alone some company in the future to fly combat drones on a distant planet to secure strategic resources. No they sent in soft human soldiers who not only are physically weaker than the natives, but also cannot even breath the air or are particularly well equipped. Why on earth send any ground based military personal when you can just blow the place apart from space, good luck hitting an orbital battle cruiser (which we can assume existed seeing how long distance space travel did and that would be one of the first uses for planetary bombardment) with those spears funny blue people.

Level 35
Hmm White Collar have gone into its history part, I personally by far prefer when its just single cases that Neal works on, which is concluded in either one or two episodes. The whole drama to tie the series together doesn't really feel needed in my mind. And honestly, how many times can the same old "plot twists" be beaten by a dead horse.

Level 9
Avatar, I think its all about racism. They could share the rescources, but NO! They fight. Can anybody think a better solution without fighting?

Level 9
Oh, has anyone watch any movie from Ghibli Studios? Please, recommended me a good one. I'm bored from watching action movie.

Level 9
Okay, this place is a little downgoing. Let's have a new subject.
This is 2014. What movies will you see, recommend it and tell the reason. Me:
-Godzilla: the trailer it self is pretty damn-awnsome.
-Transformer: Edge of Extintion: 'd love to see this film, even Shia LeBouf is out of the film.