1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Discuss Film & TV Series - Ratings & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by shiiK, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Joe-black-5

Joe-black-5

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Apart from your English (which must be on purpose... god I hope).
    -If you meant the rating 7/10 = average is the problem, blame it on the school systems
    (70% is a C) (A B C D F, C is the middle as you can see)
    -If you meant the rating is unfair, good for you, now please don't touch me. I hate blinded fan boys.

2. TwistedImage

TwistedImage

Resources:
    Resources:
    Of what dost thou speaketh? My Englishe is perfecte.

Well, I blameth thy lack of criticalle thinking! 5/10 is average! 7/10 shoulde, by any logicalle means, be fairly goode!

3. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Figured it's time I bring folks the latest *cough* news. So I'll start the show with Pan's Labyrinth which was very different from what I had expected. The main character, Ofelia, is the daughter of a woman newly married (as far as I could gather) to, and bearing the child of, a brutal officer stationed at a front line of sorts against rebels. So the story about this general, Ofelia's mother and another character, Mercedes, are intertwined with a fantasy story that springs from Ofelia's huge interest in books. It's all very well acted, and there's hardly a pause in the thumping drama and thrilling adventure. Visually, the fantasy part of the story is very grotesque, slimy and generally unwelcoming. The undertones, however, are very childish and cute. All in all a well made film with a strong story. Not really my field of interest, though. Horror, drama and fantasy blended together is, in my humble opinion, an unfit mixture.

Moving on, I've been urged for a while to watch Hellboy and Hellboy II. As they're both Guillermo del Toro films, just like Pan's Labyrinth, I had mixed expectations. The first film largely disgusted me, the visuals were very much akin to those of Pan's Labyrinth and I did not enjoy the plot all that much either. Ron Perlman is fancy as a superhero-antihero-mutant flick, though, and the whole atmosphere of the film is very lighthearted compared to Pan's Labyrinth. I found the sequel, Hellboy II: The Golden Army much more interesting. There's a pretty elaborate fantasy world going on, making the world less real, thus Hellboy and Abe more plausible. The elves, although quite simply humans with straight, long, blond hair just like the stereotype - actually, on second thought I'm not sure if they were referred to as elves -, had a fancy role as the ruling species of a different dimension, one could say, where fantasy creatures were the animals (though more often than not capable of speech). This dimension, of course, opposed to the real dimension where humans rule. Disregard the title, though, as the Golden Army gets little exposure in the film, and although they serve as the drive they are not what should peak your interest. From an artist's standpoint, the film is very inspiring. Otherwise, it's not really that much to it. I'd say Hellboy is a head above your average superhero flick, though, because it's not trying to be real at all, quite the contrary.

Lastly, I saw Beowulf & Grendel the other day - the one with Gerard Butler as Beowulf. Of course, Denmark is still a mountainous fantasy landscape similar to the Shire, but instead of being cosy with little men, there are pre-viking warriors hungry for beer, women and violence. Then, coupled with fantasy, we have large, barbaric men - I can't say it ever clarified whether Grendel (or rather the father) was of a unique species or just a man cast out of society. There's also a witch who can see your death, oddly enough she's the only pretty woman in sight. Finally there's a hand emerging from the sea to scare the occasional boatman or fisher. It is revealed later on that there's more than an arm. Anyway, the story is presented in a much more plausible manner than it was in the Beowulf 3D film that I saw some years ago. The acting is adequate and it's fairly well made altogether. Naturally, Gerard Butler doesn't exactly sound Scandinavian nor look like one, but that's hardly the point here. Nothing is particularly Scandinavian about this thing in the first place. I felt it got rather boring at times, and I had a hard time understanding Beowulf's intentions. Generally a quite sad story with a not convincingly happy ending.

4. HFR

HFR

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I lol'd at that. I still don't know why filmmakers think Denmark = Mountains.

5. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I think they are confusing it with Norway. Here's a Norwegian mountain picture for those that needs convincing.
    http://www.westcoastpeaks.com/pics06/midhorn_18molladalstindaneH.jpg

Beowulf is supposed to be a Swedish though, he is in the book. So was the majourity of his men. Which makes the whole "It's not scandinavian" sound weird. Beowulf is one of those viking braggery tales about swimming across the oceans, beating up random beasts and having sex with hot ladies, then fighting dragons bare handed, although in the 3D adaption he fights it with a knife.. and the dragon is his son, I think.. and grendel is a deformed troll looking man instead of a huge gigantic swamp monster who devours soldiers and common people alike. But yeah. I didn't know they made another one though. Anyhow, those tales were written when screaming that you are the manliest son of the bitch on the planet mattered much. ;S

6. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  7. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I KNOW RIGHT?!
    I also like how they continue to depict Tønsberg (an old Norwegian town) with raging mountains around it. In reality, it's a lot more like that picture of Denmark. Of course, on a clear day you can probably see the mountains if you really want to, but in those recent superhero films (Captain America and Thor, for instance), Tønsberg is surrounded by mountains.

Yeah, I know he's meant to be Swedish, but there's nothing in this film that suggests he is except for being a Geat, and looking a bit like an early viking. In that regard, the 3D Beowulf did a better job at making Beowulf a Scandinavian.

Spoiling Content
    As far as son goes, I think the idea is that Grendel is his son in the 3D adaptation. In this one, he just rolls in the hay with the mother of Grendel's son.

EDIT: Just watched The King Maker (2005), admittedly because of John Rhys-Davies, otherwise known as Gimli. Yeah. Cindy Burbridge, or Sirinya Winsiri, is evidently no actress, but DAYUM she is fine. To be fair, none of the acting is good, and most of the time you can't tell if they're meant to be sarcastic and/or humorous, or if they're just not managing to take this thing seriously. I do, unfortunately, have more faith in the latter option and I must therefore admit that, yeah, it's a pretty shitty film. Now I said it. It's pretty much your average low-budget Asian film (not trying to make petty racist jokes here - films like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon are rare.) The speech is voiced over in studio, but the lipsync is not a problem, it just sounds awkward. There is no CGI or anything particularly polished. The blood is really unconvincing, which is sad for a film with so much of it. Gary Stretch has a pretty fancy character, though, and he does his job convincingly. I mean, as a boxer, you ought to know how to fight, and he sure looks as if he does. Just, too bad about the acting. Of course, Gimli isn't disappointing, but that's because you can't mock the dwarf! (On a side note, his character is probably the tallest in the entire set, and it looks hilarious.) The plot is also pretty common for Asian films, I don't know if you guys have noticed, but kings and emperors in Asia are always evil, and their queens are even more sinister and spiteful. I'll refrain from saying anything more than that. Besides, I more or less just sat back and enjoyed the British accents and Miss Burbridge's pair of eyes. No, I mean it. The eyes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  8. Geazergimli2

Geazergimli2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Watched Ip Man 1 and 2 a day ago, both probably some of the best movies I've seen.. and the choreography was just perfection, easily in my top 5 favorite movies now :)

9. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Watched Rohtenburg (Grimm Love) yesterday. The movie (based on real events) is about the cannibal Oliver Hartwin. He dreamed of eating a willing victim, and thanks to the internet he was able to find a volunteer (Simon Grombeck).
    It's a really strange movie. Not as gross as you might think (not nearly as bloody as movies like Martyrs or Ichi the Killer), but focusing more on the relationship between the two. I don't think it's that good (a 5/10 or so), but if you're interested in the subject, it's worth checking out.

Heh, so true. I never really though about it, but off the top of my head, I can't name any Asian movies with ''good'' kings or lords, no matter the quality of the movies (one of the more recent examples being 13 Assassins, which by the way is amazing).

10. Joe-black-5

Joe-black-5

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Mulan had a good Emperor for a change.

11. HFR

HFR

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Martyrs, holy crap, Martyrs. That must be one the most gruesome movies ever made that do not include teenagers as main characters. The first half of the film was ok, though, but after those "tests" it became... Eh, I have no words for that.

12. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ah, right. And it's a pretty well-known story too (mainly because of Disney, of course).

And what made it worse is that you actually care about the main characters (or at least I did). That's the main problem with the Saw sequels; you don't care about any of the characters (or you find them so annoying you just want them to die...).
    Also, there will be an American remake of Martyrs. It'll probably be PG 13. :p

13. The Reborn Devil

The Reborn Devil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okey, I guess it's about time I say something about films I've seen this weekend.

The first film I saw was Elite Killers, with Jason Statham, Robert De Niro and Yvonne Strahovski (Miranda in ME2). It's an awesome action movie which is actually based on real events (DAYUM). Jason Statham is, as your probably guessed, an awesome killer, and he's taking on the British Special Forces. You should see it.

After that I saw The Experiment, another movie based on real events (DAFUQ IS THIS). It's about a secret psychological experiment conducted in the US in the 70's. To not spoil too much, I'll just point out that the people behind it got arrested for manslaughter. It's another movie you should see.

14. HFR

HFR

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There's actually 2 movies titled "The Experiment". One american, one german. And I think both are about the same subject according to Imdb.

15. shiiK

shiiK

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Saw Quantum of Solace for the second or third time the other day. For some reason I remembered it as pretty shitty, but it ain't really that bad, the issue is that it's a follow-up, which is unusual for James Bond. And, of course, the two latest films are lower budget than what they had before. Anyway, seeing it again I can't really say it's bad, not at all. We've all seen it, though, let's move on. Looking forward to the next film, by the way.

Then I watched Unknown last night. Another film I've seen before, but I had forgotten the twists in the end. Besides, knowing the premise, it's easier to follow the story a little closer and it really plays out fairly well. Anyway, the ending has a cool concept, I mean, it's not new, but it gives you the depth of the film, it's just too bad it all flashes by so quickly you don't really get to pick it up. If you haven't seen it, you should, it is a pretty good film, it's just a little cramped together in the end when all the pieces fall into place.

16. Ramza

Ramza

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Watched The Water Horse. A bit cliché, but well made. And the ending is like a copy of Free Willy's ending (though I don't know if Free Willy is that original itself). A fun movie overall.

Yeah, they are about the exact same subject (the American movie is a remake of the German one). Haven't seen the remake yet, but I don't expect it to be better than the original.

17. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOzXsqoJhtE&feature=g-logo&context=G2755ee1FOAAAAAAAFAA

18. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    watched this like 5 times already mmmmmh mmmmm

Watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy a while back. I.. kind of liked it, but it was just WAY too confusing for me. I count myself as a pretty good movie watcher and don't usually get puzzled too much by plot and stuff, but in this, I didn't even know that one character was dead that apparently died in the first 10 minutes. I found it just way too messy, flashbacks of varying times, of varying perspectives, all that kinda stuff. Not quite my cup of tea.

Also saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows recently, quite thoroughly enjoyed it because this movie did get Holmes a tad closer to the true character of the original and many of the plot elements were actually taken quite well from the original stories. Also, Moriarty was brilliantly acted by Jared Harris, who also does one of my absolute favourite villains, David Robert Jones on Fringe, so I quite liked it in that way. There were parts that could have been done a bit better and the plot was a bit rushed in some regards, but overall, I quite liked this movie.

Which brings me then onto another review of another Sherlock Holmes adaption - Sherlock, the TV Movie series. And that is, I'll easily say, by far the best Sherlock Holmes adaption I've ever heard of or seen. It's converted into modern times, Watson having been in Afghanistan conflicts recently, but it carries all the extremities of character found in Sherlock Holmes to a very precise and perfect point. If you haven't seen it, I absolutely recommend you watching it immediately.

19. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  20. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons: