1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Disapointments with StarCraft 2?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by JimBob, Aug 14, 2010.

1. KaboomMaster

KaboomMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Maybe you missed the part about how Activision placed Thomas Tipple to oversee Blizzard and report directly to Activision, and also how it was Kotick who pushed for social networking integration in their games which seems like less than coincidence that B.net 2.0 has Facebook integration.

Normally I wouldn't nitpick the release of expansions because Blizzard has always previously adhered to the philosophy that you release a complete game experience first and then add new features shortly after. However with the announcement of two expansions before the game was even released it makes them seem more like expensive DLC than expansions.

Actually Blizzard never used to care about piracy prior to WoW because they understood that B.net was the key feature of their games and while you could multi-install or pirate their games you wouldn't be able to access B.net which meant that even with a large amount of friends your player pool would be limited to who was not busy and willing to connect with either a LAN emulation program or actual wires. Plus the entire split of the ladder in SC2 also is affected by removal of LAN which increases usage of B.net's servers during tournaments (both official and unofficial).

Quite honestly I don't care about chat channels because I never used them however their removal along with the removal of clans pissed me off because quite a few people did legitimately use them to organise games and tournaments with people they didn't know outside of B.net which help to bring the community together.

2. KaboomMaster

KaboomMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Blizzard was completely anal about hacking in WC3 for the majority of its early life and it was only later that hacks became widely unbanned which probably had something to do with Blizzard worrying too much about WoW and SC2. As for achievement hacks who really cares? If little whiny kids and obsessive douchebag teens want to hack achievements I could really care less because the only important thing in RTS games are the gameplay and the editor.

3. Kingdra

Kingdra

Resources:
    Resources:
    Biggest disappointment?
    To netbased
    I know its high-tech 'n all. But I miss Warcraft 3's "Offline" campaign and/or singleplayer modes..
    Strange.

4. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Doubt it's actually a hack. There was a guy on the NA server who got his Dark Voice portrait about a week ago. He was in Bronze League, and did absolutely nothing but worker rush every single game - a tactic which probably only works about 40% of the time, but takes like 3 minutes to execute regardless. :\

5. Aslit

Aslit

Resources:
    Resources:
    dissapointments by order of importance:
    1- no lan
    2- map style suck
    3- the big "took away" of units Q_Q vulture (i dont use to play with protoss but they deserve a dark archon)(same for zerg´s lurker) i really thought that sc2 was gonna add more units to the existent ones.
    4- new editor might be more wide in options, but its very unneficient, things that used to take 5 min in the war 3 editor now can takes hours or even more
    5- characters in the campaign look nothing like the sc1 one, raynor is completely different (not only cuz of the new graphics)
    6-im surely missing something else

6. Dark Hunter1357

Dark Hunter1357

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    2 - wat?
    3 - they added new units and removed old ones. so basically they add more units to some of the existent ones.
    4 - not true, if you know how its done everything takes a few mins. But its hard to learn

7. Aslit

Aslit

Resources:
    Resources:
    2 map style, most of all the way the map is like an isle that u can fly over the limits, it make u have to reinforce air defenses + resourse distribution + the map style in general, they have no comparation with sc1 maps
    3 what i said is that i was expecting all old units + new ones (at leats add the amount that bw added)
    4 and yes, even if u know how to, it takes longer

8. Coolty44

Coolty44

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Just becuase there is a small overhang that allow for air units to mass, doesn't mean they can't be countered. I was playing some comp stomp with a friend, and he normally air rushs from the side. He attacked a Hard AI and they had atleast 2-4 AA's set up were he would normally fly in, and it made it impossible for me to land my squads in to destroy them too.

If I recall, Raynor says its been a few years since the events of SC1 (Mind you I've never played that) and Swan, I do believe, indicates they've lost the schematics to a lot of their tech.

Takes longer = you'll pay more attention to detail and will probably catch a coding glitch or something sooner

9. Aslit

Aslit

Resources:
    Resources:
    the map thing is not cuz of air rushed only (i actually like to use air units) its the whole concept of new maps.
    i know it passed 4 years after bw, but he is not only older, he had a completely facial reconstruction, same as mengsk who now has more hair (inverse ageing)?, and kerrigan had rhastas
    takes longer = ull pay less attetion due ull try to do things faster to cover the time ur loosing

10. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My main disappointments with SC2 and its editor:

1. Arrow key and button lag/delays when maps are played in multiplayer

2. Cannot expand map dimensions beyond 256x256

3. Sort of clunky editor UI

If they fix these three key issues I have with the game and it's moddability, I'm a happy guy.

11. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    you need special servers and the game synchronization must be heavily reduced in order for these feutures to work without delay. However, it wasn't obviously intended for multiplayer maps, just look at the GUI commentaries.

I doubt you need more unless you are making a big RPG. They'll add multiplayer cross map linking if that's the case.

Agreed, they could have worked a lot more to make the UI way more friendly. Specialy the data editor, that one's a mess.

12. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

I have been working on the data editor and things do take longer to get done even if you know the procedure. This is explained by the fact that every time you create something there's five to ten more things that refer to it. No doubt it might (though I'm beginning to get doubts) allow a few things to look and run smoother without having to rely on tricks or triggers, but it definitely takes longer, requires an exorbitant amount of objects, and is definitely not user friendly -- on top of not all fields displaying a help tip, a few of them, which do have, contain tips that are not particularly clarifying, or are even confusing.

They'll add? Are you telling us that it's not already possible? Because that's quite a blow.

As is the inability to make maps bigger than 256x256. It's okay for melee maps, footmen wars or the monotonous TDs, but RP, RPG, and strategy map makers have always fought against such limitations -- not to mention that maps in Starcraft II are incredibly small for their dimensions: a Starcraft II 256x256 looks like a 192x192 in Warcraft. Cross-map won't do much, if anything, at all, to help the last map types I mentioned.

In an RP map, players need to receive OOC from everyone, and while it would be, theoretically, possible that cross-map can extend the borders, it forces all players to interact with each other instead of having two or more roleplays progressing at the same time, let us refer a situation in which player A is roleplaying with two other players and his character is far from his city (also under the control of player A), but another roleplay is going on and other characters arrive at his city -- in this case, if player A has went as far as crossing to another map, his city remains inactive, and this is assuming cross-mapping allows something like this, having two maps and call it all a single game, and allow players to travel between them.

RPGs seem like the only type of map that would benefit from this, but then again, how big are you going to make a multiplayer RPG when the player limit is 14 individuals?

As for strategy maps, such as "Battle for Middle Earth" or "Azeroth Wars Strategy", to cite but a few, it doesn't help them at all. In these maps, you could take your army as far as the other corner of the map, which, in "Azeroth Wars Strategy", was quite bigger than 256x256. How can you be expected to command an army in one map and manage your base in another one?

13. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah that's such a shame, so much for the shooting maps =/
    It could be down to ping though, sept I'm pretty sure this time round blizz will spend their utmost on STOPPING us from using/making reducers -.-'

@Rui - I think if/when they do include cross map linking all players will have to load the new map, so it'll be pretty useless except for multiplayer campaigns.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if you could have x maps running simultaneously as one game, like in NeverWinter Nights. I'm just not getting my hopes up.

14. Dark.Revenant

Dark.Revenant

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Keyboard and mouse lag are artifacts of the RTS engine. However, it is still slower than it should be (it should have the same lag as a normal movement order) so Blizzard is fixing it for a later patch to be more responsive, probably in patch 1.2.

Also, if we can use WSAD, ESDF, etc. why would anyone use arrow key movement? Arrow keys are placed horribly compared to the other keys.

15. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Left handed people?

16. Dark Hunter1357

Dark Hunter1357

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    i do not use keys to move my screen at all

17. Mooglefrooglian

Mooglefrooglian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Re: SC2 map size limitations.

Have you tried zooming in the camera and scaling down all the units?

18. busterkomo

busterkomo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Goshdarnit he's once again going to attempt to develop a mod that he doesn't have the skill nor the motivation to finish.

Any size past 256x256 is unnecessary, really. You can easily scale the rest of the map to accommodate a smaller terrain size.
    --
    The only major gripe I have so far is the data editor. Instead of support for scripting my own abilities, I'm forced to click around in an awkward GUI.