1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Vote for the best entries in the 13th Music Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Disapointments with StarCraft 2?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by JimBob, Aug 14, 2010.

1. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:
    Spoilers, be warned.

Just for fun. No game is perfect. Anything about this game kind of let you down? Anything bother you that you didn't mind too much or did mind a lot? Was it what you thought it would be?

Personally, my disappointments were-

Single Player campaign story- I didn't like how Kerrigan became human again. Although, I was surprised that Tych was actually going to kill Kerrigan instead of Raynor. Still, I think Kerrigan was best as the villain. I thought she was a hopeless case for Raynor. I consider the "real" Kerrigan to have died on Tarsonis. I really hope this is just some other scheme by her to gain more power and that she is still evil. If not I will be disappointed in Blizzard, making Kerrigan good again is like bringing her back from the dead.

My other disappointment was in the story as a whole. It feels like a repeat of WC3. Just watch, all the races have to unite to defeat the Hybrids in order to save the world(this time worlds because it's starcraft). Where is the creativity? In less they have some twist in which this time they fail and the "bad guy" wins than I'd be ok with it, but that would mean no more Starcraft. If this really becomes a repeat of WC3 than I think I'm done playing Blizzard games for their story. I'd play them for other reasons like Multy-player, editor and gameplay, but not story.

Another disappointment that is not necessarily my own, but a lot of people had said this, was the TV Media in the Cantina. They didn't like how it was aimed to make you laugh and not after realism. You think the Dominion would be smart enough to also buy the reporter as well? You think people are that stupid to believe that propaganda? Of course not, but to me I realized that Blizzard was just using it as humor. I didn't mind it personally, but I could understand that some people playing Raynor really wanted to feel that everybody in the Dominion thought they were evil despite their good doings.

All in all, I'm not pleased with the story so far, but who knows? Maybe what we find out in Heart of the Swarm will be pretty awesome and unexpected?

As far as other disappointments go, I didn't like how they didn't include formations like in WC3. I don't like how the units are bunched up together. It's easier to spot them when they are in lines looking like an army instead of looking like an unorganized big crowd where you can't find anybody. I didn't mind this much enough to ruin my experience, but it is a notable concern.

We could get a nice conversation out of this. Your turn, but don't say "no LAN", we already know.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:

So you just going to whine about that?

Dude, I've heard that one before. No game is perfect. I didn't say it wasn't great. If you think it's perfect than you've got nothing to say here.

This is just all for fun, not necessarily bashing SC2.

3. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:

Well, there are a lot of people like that on those forums.

I think the story is a primary concern. I feel like that they could have done better, but I understand they're only 1/3 of the way through. I hope it turns out great and not how I think it's going to turn out.

4. kewlthis

kewlthis

Resources:
    Resources:
    How small minded can you be?

I think sc2 is far from perfect. I played like 10 missions of the campaign and then I got pretty much bored...It just didnt give any challenge. Alltought I only used normal difficulty (dunno what hard would be like). The AI just didnt seem to do anything. You could take your time and mass units with pretty much every mission and that gives easy win.

And the bnet system...whats up with that? I want channels and custom map creation!!! How can you mess up the most important part of sc2 for me. Custom games, multiplayer experience...so much to improve.

I still think its a good game, yet it has some flaws.

5. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:

I guarantee that Blizzard will make some changes eventually.

As for the single-player, just increase the difficulty. Normal is actually easy, but I don't have a problem with it. Just play it on hard.

6. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The best part about people complaining about the fact that the SC2 storyline is "too similar to wc3" is that they don't realize that Wc3's storyline is almost carbon copied from SC (and no, SC was not carbon copied from Wc2) and thus this is not particularly surprising.

7. kola

kola

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    agree.

people that fails at being good players in Bnet just start saying playing starcraft is boring. (Not everyone, lots still like to play it and try to become better players)

if they made it like this (Unorganized units), its for a better SC gameplay cause in WC, all single units are important (they all have lots of Hp and Attack) and you need to keep them alive cause you dont have big armies, but in SC, single units arent very important (lets say that Thors and such units are important even alone) but units like Mutalisk, Marines and others like this are important when they are in group if they are separated, they all become useless and easy targets for the opponent.

If you are at the start of the game then yes, every units are very important to survive.

8. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    SC armies are too big for formations to be practical.

9. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    "the campaign was too easy for me on the second easiest difficulty"

really, haven't you ever heard of increasing the difficulty?

@kerrigan becoming good, probably a setup for heart of the swarm. With the supreme leader of the zerg no longer the supreme leader, it would allow for new zerg characters to rise up and such. but eh.

10. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    To start off, I'd suggest warning people of upcoming spoilers. Not all of us can be lucky enough to get the game this quickly.

That being said, here are some things that disappointed me, despite how sexy this game is:

• Kerrigan is nothing but a plot device and a pinup girl. All her cunning and betrayal that made her the Bitch Queen of the Universe is gone, and she's only really there as some kind of generic brand villain.
    • The game and its characters are cliched as hell, and the plot is boring and unremarkable.
    • The game turkey-bastes en masse a horde of characters that you might have heard of if you read Starcraft-related books or something like that, but you would never be familiar with having only played the previous game. A Kingdom Hearts-esque continuity jump where Jim Raynor calls everyone his old pal, and we just have to take his word for it.
    • They actually managed to make Battle.net 2.0 worse than the original. Everything's so fucking streamlined. You can't find individual games; maps are organized by priority so Nexus Wars is going to be eclipsing some new, innovative map for the next century or so; it takes 30 seconds to prepare for a map in case you planned on making a pre-game milkshake; and chat channels are only going to be implemented in an upcoming patch, so socializing is out of the question. There are some things they did better, but honestly, I just want the old Battle.net.
    • Half the Terran accents are some variant of the Deep Southerner, as if this is some kind of alternate timeline in which the Confederate States of America won the American Civil War and then proceeded to take over the rest of the earth. Which would explain their flag.
    • I really wanted to see the spectres replace ghosts in melee. Not really a complaint as much as a personal preference.

11. TerranDominion

TerranDominion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Back in sc1,wasn't Tassadar wanted kerrrigan to be destroyed? I just don't get the story.I though their going to get revaluation .We sorted have clue for starcraft 2.The Hybrid could be the new race mix zerg/protoss.makes
    2 race.Terran and Hybrid.But ,aren't got to be 4 race in SC3.In the next 12 years?

12. kblood

kblood

Resources:
    Resources:
    I played through the campaign on hard. I liked the missions, and also doing the achievements is where it really gets challenging. There are players who try to complete the game on insane, AND doing the achievements on that difficulty as well. But playing on normal, is asking not to be challenged by the game, and making it very possible to complete each mission in first try.

As for the story. Yea, Kerrigan is of course going to be the focus in Heart of the Swarm. Some say it will be lame if she is to become Zerg again. I would think it would be cool if she did so by her own choosing, maybe because she figured she needed the power to save the galaxy from the other hybrids. Some say it will be about her regaining control of the zerg again, she still has her Zerg hair, and it is said that it is psi antennas for controlling the Zerg. But I would find human Kerrigan controlling the Zerg, not being evil in any way, would be more lame than her becoming the Queen of Blades again. But no matter where the story goes, I will probably like it, as long as there keep being lots of powerful characters.

13. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    A short comming I find is the lack of polish to the engine.

When playing coop occasionally the status on finding games fails to appear.
    You can end up in a locked state when joining games for no reason so you are not in a game, but neithor can you join one until you and everyone in your party relogs into the game.
    If you alt+tab while a map is loading, you will hang at 80% indefinatly despite the game still remaining responsive so you have to alt+ctrl+del the game to shut it off.

14. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @MSBB, spectres would be imba in melee, even with just the ultrasonic pulse ability and cloak. Also, ghosts are kind of iconic to the series, so :|

15. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks, I understand why they didn't include that now.

{EDIT 1}

You make some good points. I haven't tried Battle.net yet(still upgrading my computer), so in the mean time I've just stuck to single player and editor.

As for the Terran/southern American comparison, that's how it was in the first game. However, that's not how it happened. The UED to took over the Earth. The Terrans in the Korprul sector are based off the Southern Americans. In Brood War, some of the UED characters and one of the units had Russian accents.

{EDIT 2}

Really, I didn't see many comparisons? You aren't one of those people where everything has to be different in order to be different are you?

WC3 had a very deep story with many sub-stories. I can't think of any comparisons, honestly.

By the way, I played WC2 and SC1 as well as Brood War and the Diablo games. Blizzard's story creativity has gone downhill since WoW(I don't play it, but that's what I've heard form a lot of people who are into the lore). I was hoping SC2 could redeem them, but so far the story looks too cliche.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
  16. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Play SC1's campaign and Wc3's campaign back to back some time.

17. StormWarriors2

StormWarriors2

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really liked the story. And considering it was actually pretty good for a blizzard game.

18. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you had been here in May you would've seen how 'small minded' I was when I exploded several forums with long reasons for the lack of important bnet features. But they will be added.

You don't play hardest and claim missions are no challenge? You say it while not playing hardest... I'll lower unit handicap to say 60-70% and play at hardest, then I could say it is easy but that as playing it the hard way.

The features that I dislike and Im not sure Blizzard will change is the ridiculous divisions and/or leagues. Single ladder would be better, or single league ladders...And achievements are silly 1 win = achievement that's bs. Achievement must be: winner of a Blizzard mapmaking contest, winner of a tournament, that should be noted, unique and rare to achieve, not some 1 win, 10 wins, completed campaign and crap like that.

19. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The large number of races in Warcraft III make it easier to create substories. As for the main plot, if I were to resume it in only a few words, I'd say it's mostly about slaying Zerg and stealing artifacts from Protoss.
    I liked the plot of the Colonist missions. The Prophecy missions were also somewhat interesting lore-wise and gameplay-wise (the lightning and reflections of the terrain on Aiur were SO beautiful!). But I grew bored of the others.
    I preferred Warcraft III's plot, but I'm a suspect for preferring medieval and fantasy. I found it pretty lame how the Hyperion, a huge mass of metal, could simply get out of a planet's orbit in less than a second. Only teleportation is faster than that.

Races uniting seems to be a thing to remain in Blizzard's missions. =P I read that Raynor, Kerrigan and Zeratul united for a while against the United Earth Directorate (Terran faction). If this was a playable mission in Brood War, I bet it was something similar to Archimonde's ascent (instead of unsummoning structures, Terran can lift them off =P).

20. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    too late :[

i read it and was like (thanks for ruining it jackass)