1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Disapointments with StarCraft 2?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by JimBob, Aug 14, 2010.

1. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    lol, no.

The aesthetics are just as unlrealistic, yet gritty as before.

If you wanna talk about which one's grittier, the Terran Marine in Starcraft 1 looks like a fucking Michelin Tire Man in comparison.

You must have had this game confused with the Red Alert series.
    OH DEAR, I MUST HAVE GONE BLIND FROM ROLLING MY EYES SO HARD.

2. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Like does one need to give explanation why SC2 > all so far, I will however still put war3 to just as cool in terms of melee, as for the graphics and movies etc sc2 > war3. I stop commenting that further, pointless.

3. Killrogg Deadeye

Killrogg Deadeye

Resources:
    Resources:
    We aren't 100% sure that Narud is Duran. According to SC Wikia, some UED soldiers remains in the sector (some like Spartan Goliaths works ar mercenaries) and the expedition was only a fragment of UED total strenght

4. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Narud. Duran. They are the same word backwards. Narud wants to get alien artifacts, and is interested in your excess protoss and zerg specimens for "research". In the Moebius Factor, Kerrigan says "I've seen through your little 'Dr Narud' disguise." Narud's response is spoken nervously, "This Queen of Blades... quite the nuisance, isn't she?"

Also, recall Dark Moon. Duran is clearly capable of manipulating his image, stating he had "many names over thousands of years" or something roughly equivalent. Its obvious that he has simply assumed a new disguise to further his own goals.

5. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Watching youtube videos of SC1 and then thinking about SC2 I see a dissapointing amount of similarities between the 2. Its like all they did was give it a new b.net, update graphics, and add a new campaign. 10 years and they couldn't of added another faction or 2? But whatever I guess since so many people appear to like it. I mostly don't like that their are only 3 factions. I'm already sick of seeing the same units hopping around.

6. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I like the fact that all 3 factions can actually be incredibly well balanced.

imo, don't fix what isn't broken, especially when said thing is a game which has been popular for 12 years.

7. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    starcraft players are just dull I guess lawlz

(puts on flame suit)

8. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is why we can't have good things.

You are so superficial it hurts.
    [​IMG]
    "Maybe if I predict that the people I insult will insult me back, I will seem more clever than them. That's how it works, right?"

9. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    muahaha my flame suit blocked your attacks!

In seriousness this is just a matter of opinion. My opinion is that it is lazy of Blizzard to not enhance the Starcraft universe by adding another faction considering they had 10 years to dream about how to make it better. It's 2010. I don't think its reasonable to ask for 5 balanced factions especially for all that WoW money they are swimming in.

10. kola

kola

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    hmm, i rly think that those 3 races are awesome and if they put another race, it will be a mixte of one of those 3 races or it will be the same as one of those 3 races.

11. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm sure that made sense in your head.
    I agree entirely. Anyone that judges an RTS's quality by the amount of races it has is a total fuckwit.

Do you know Red Alert 2? Evidently not. Do you know how many factions it had? 2. How many did its predecessor have? 2. Did it kick ass? Fuck yes. It retained the same feel, shared some of the same units, but managed to expand on the concept and make an experience entirely unique to itself. But of course, that CAN'T be a good game. I mean, what kind of idiot doesn't just pump stupid superfluous shit like additional factions to make a sequel? Like Red Alert 3?

I don't know if you actually played Starcraft 2 or not, but it's not Starcraft.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  12. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It did. Though I should of said "absorbed" instead of blocked.

I also should of said "unreasonable" not "reasonable"

But I am not saying their is a critical connection between # of races and the quality of the game. But I do think their should be more. It adds a lot of variety with each race out there.

I haven't played SC1 I have been playing SC2. One of my favorite parts about Dawn of War (Dark Crusade) is that their was like 7 races. Warcraft 3 had 4 races. That was balanced. What do you think the problems would be with a 4th race? How would that bring down the gameplay experience.

13. TWPC7643

TWPC7643

Resources:
    Resources:
    The thing is, in order to add in a new faction, they'd have to incorporate it into the story as well. Which, when you consider that the overall arc of the storyline is primarily about the three races and their relationship with one another, bringing another race in just seems half-assed and would not get the same amount of lore love as the other three. Besides, what faction would they add if they COULD use an existing race?

Xel'Naga? They were considered the "gods" by the Protoss, that in and of itself shows them to be incredibly powerful and definitely would not make sense to turn them into a playable race.

The Hybrids? We already fight the hybrids in the campaign and we can clearly see how strong their units are, each individual fighter has enough health to match a capital ship and having the Hybrids just means that they get all of the advantages of the Protoss and Zerg (Shields and Regeneration) and none of the disadvantages.

I for one would rather Blizzard keep with the races they have playable, and fine tune them than add in a new bullshit race that can easily be seen as a half-assed attempt to cater to the masses or a overpowered faction drawn from existing races.

14. LucasMapurunga

LucasMapurunga

Resources:
    Resources:
    As people stated it here, the greatness of SC gameplay is the fact of the 3 races are completely different. Another thing, how would you "find" a 4th races without f*cking the storyline ? Like another Alien race comes ? And as you see, the Hybrids are like gods compared to any Zerg, Protoss or Terran unit.

(hides Terran Marine Puppet) Don't you dare say that ! :spell_breaker:

15. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There are some things that can't change, you just dont get it. For the campaign - there may be gazillion races if you like. StarCraft and these 3 races go together. They can't make Warcraft3 in space and add a 4th race because of that. More races? Go play another game, Blizzard games dont work with more than 3-4 races, and still War3 and SC are the top played RTS and most sponsors put their money into various competitions in these games. Because more races doesnt mean more quality if DoW is still affecting people's brains.

16. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lol that is such narrow-minded thinking. You think an entire dev team can't come up with a couple good ideas for other races? And why does Starcraft 2 have to take place just a couple years after the orig? It could of taken place in an alternate universe or thousands of years prior/after the events of Starcraft 1.

People don't seem to mind just having 3 races, so thats cool I guess. I don't want anyone to start crying because someone is criticizing their favorite game (series) of all time.

17. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There are a tonne of Starcraft fans (including myself) who don't want any more races, and SC2 is meant to cater to Starcraft fans.

That said, it is not SC1.

18. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ...thus killing off all of the great characters they had from SC1? Seems a bit lame. Also, then they would have to account for the fact that the Terrans still are using the same units (for the most part) for a thousand years. >_.

19. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No one is killing off any characters. Its just a different era. And they really don't have to account for the technology not advancing, as Star Wars is immensely popular with its Old Republic games (which take place thousands of years before the movies yet they fight with all the same weapons basically).

So Ive noticed!

20. kola

kola

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Anti_bodies, I really hope you will never be a story maker of a game or a Race maker cause your ideas are soo bad lol.
    starting 1000 years later?? lets just make a complete new game instead of this.
    4 races??... Like i already said twice or more and other people said it, It would be a similar race to on of the 3 first.