• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Demonic Planet (Classic WC III Terrain Showcase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
Hey folks. Inspired by other people recently posting their stuff, I wanna show you some progress on a yet un-announced project we're working on.

There will be 5 entirely different zones in the finalisied product, all in the same map.

UI has been disabled for demonstration purposes, but it will be sleek and minimal afterwards anyway.

My goal is to create a stunning WC III terrain with the classic look and feel, but on a next level. I wanna shape an atmosphere not only visually pleasing, but also aurally.

Right now it's mostly lacking points of interests, but I still wanted to gather feedback early on.

Last edited:
Level 51
Looks snazzy.

Thanks!

Very atmospheric. I do enjoy seeing how much of the terrain you've done using a single doodad (variations of it, yes, but you get my drift).

Thank you. This is mainly because of two reasons, first one being consistency. Second one being limitations. As we plan to have 5 different biomes in the end, I can't go incredibly crazy on imports (and I also don't want to anyway, to avoid editor mess).

Also: Proof of concept for every region planned right now. Keep in mind that everything is in the same map (although the fog has changed obviously).

EbonVale.PNG highstorm.PNG IronDesert.PNG PlainsofHeithir.PNG unknown.png

The concepts are very simple though (as you can see in the video the finished terrain is way more detailed an refined).

Last edited:
Level 51
It looks nice, and has a great atmosphere. Only thing I can think of is that it feels slightly like an underwater environment. Partly because the thunder can, in a weird way, sound like bubbles, and because of the fog tint.

Anyway, good job. Keep it coming.

I will never be able to unsee this ;_; Haha but no, it's a good point actually, gotta be careful about it. Thanks!

Level 51
Looks dope. I think even melee maps should be done with these different concepts now for the sake of variety.

That would make pathing and stuff a lot more difficult but I can imagine it, yes :) been wantig to try my hands at it sometime.

Great progress @PROXY :]

Thanks!

Nice , it's like demon hunters wipes all of demon in this planet :)

Funny, the assets were actually created for a scrapped project with demonhunters for an wow like legion planet :D

Level 35
I was about to say that it really looks like Legion, but...

I resembles planet Mardum, indeed. Nice job again:infl_thumbs_up:

... so yeah.

Anyway, as has already been pointed out it's quite atmospheric indeed, it's really lovely to see when people use the fog feature well for playable terrains. I was also going to say that I found the use of the same doodad over and over made it seem repetitive, but then I saw the second video and realized it's just early days, throw in some varied details and points of interest and this might become a very good terrain.

I'll be keeping an eye out for updates on this, you've caught my eye ^^

Level 51
I was about to say that it really looks like Legion, but...
... so yeah.

Anyway, as has already been pointed out it's quite atmospheric indeed, it's really lovely to see when people use the fog feature well for playable terrains. I was also going to say that I found the use of the same doodad over and over made it seem repetitive, but then I saw the second video and realized it's just early days, throw in some varied details and points of interest and this might become a very good terrain.

I'll be keeping an eye out for updates on this, you've caught my eye ^^

Thanks much, appreciate it :)

A fair share of clipping and lightning errors, but all in all pretty much done.
I like it a lot! The textures and models goes very well together. Are those your own?

A couple of things; When you say "clipping" I assume you're referring to the ground platforms / tiles? I'm not sure if you know, but you can very easily fix it by elevating them one level above/under each other so they're not all the exact same height. OR, be extremely precise with their placement.

Also extremely minor, but the pillars are all rotated the same direction. Maybe try rotating the ones to the right the opposite direction? It may just be OCD, but it kinda bugged me :p

What is the game play gonna be like?

Level 51
I like it a lot! The textures and models goes very well together. Are those your own?

A couple of things; When you say "clipping" I assume you're referring to the ground platforms / tiles? I'm not sure if you know, but you can very easily fix it by elevating them one level above/under each other so they're not all the exact same height. OR, be extremely precise with their placement.

Also extremely minor, but the pillars are all rotated the same direction. Maybe try rotating the ones to the right the opposite direction? It may just be OCD, but it kinda bugged me :p

What is the game play gonna be like?

Yes, the models are my own, but they are just basic primitives with the Outland Doodads texture recolored in dark green :)

Regarding the tiles, yes I know of this trick, but I'm going to fix this by creating one large doodad for the pathway, so both lightning and Clipping will be dealt with. Besides this I can then create a destructible out of it, sparing me the creation of invisible platforms.

Ah yes, I didn't pay attention to the pillars, I'll fix that, you're right :)

Gameplay is gonna be highly story driven multiplayer (up to 6 players) RPG with full freedom regarding skill/talent choice, meaning no predefined classes. That combined with a semi-infinite randomized dungeon crawler.

I'm going to fix this by creating one large doodad for the pathway, so both lightning and Clipping will be dealt with.
Ah that's smart. Had I only known how to make models :p Light affecting doodads at different elevations/position can be quite annoying, but creating one large doodad would fix that.
Besides this I can then create a destructible out of it, sparing me the creation of invisible platforms.
I assume you're gonna make the destructible pathable? That's cool.
Gameplay is gonna be highly story driven multiplayer (up to 6 players) RPG with full freedom regarding skill/talent choice, meaning no predefined classes. That combined with a semi-infinite randomized dungeon crawler.
Sounds awesome, I'll be looking forward to testing it.

Level 51
Ah that's smart. Had I only known how to make models :p Light affecting doodads at different elevations/position can be quite annoying, but creating one large doodad would fix that.

I assume you're gonna make the destructible pathable? That's cool.

Sounds awesome, I'll be looking forward to testing it.

Meh, the modelling I'm doing here can barely be called modelling anyway. :D

Also: little sneak peak of Zone Number 2: The Iron Desert

unknown.png

eejin

Tool Moderator
Level 12
Love the way your caves look. The column look a little weird though. I can't quite put my finger on it.
upload_2020-12-23_12-40-24.png
upload_2020-12-23_12-40-49.png

Maybe it's the way they thin in the middle? Also the left one looks a bit like it has a tumor :p.

Are the cave wall models available somewhere?

Love the way your caves look. The column look a little weird though. I can't quite put my finger on it.
View attachment 370618View attachment 370619
Maybe it's the way they thin in the middle? Also the left one looks a bit like it has a tumor :p.

Are the cave wall models available somewhere?
I think the pillars looks a bit strange because the shading differs from its environment. In the left picture you can clearly see that the shading on the pillar is different from the cave wall, while in the right picture you can see that the ground is brighter/lighter than the pillar.

@PROXY Maybe recalculating the normals of the pillars could help?

EDIT: Alternatively use some artificial light sources (omnilights) to improve the light environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.