• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Orchard's Terrain Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Orchard's Terrain Showcase - Updated 4-19-2009

UPDATED April 19, 2009
  • Redone Mountain Pass (4/6)
  • Improved Bombs in Wheat Field (4/7)
  • Night Elf Cathedral (4/16)
  • Improved Cathedral (4/19)

Here are some of the terrains I'm making for different games (OR on the rare occasion, for the sake of terraining). Unfortunately the quality of the screenshots were slightly reduced by Photobucket, but if you use your imagination you can visualize what they were originally ^_^. Please comment if you feel so inspired, with you know, flaming, blind praise, or better yet - constructive feedback. I plan on updating better versions of any of the terrains below when I either add Atmosphere, or Upload them with a Better Quality.

Epic Terrains

Empty. This is where my completed Epic (non-game) terrains will go... unfortunately, they are all currently WIP.

Game Terrains

Wheat in the Grove
WheatintheGrove.jpg

Bombs in the Wheat Field
51705d1239330070-magnificent-soul-rpg-bombs-wheat-field.gif

Mountain Entrance
51709d1239330299-magnificent-soul-rpg-mountainpass.jpg

Bandit Outpost
BanditOutpost.jpg

Night Elf Cathedral
52716d1240161666-magnificent-soul-rpg-night-elf-cathedral.gif

Last edited:
Level 13
Whats with the walled in groved?
The grove seems too flat to me

I like the bomb covered field
Bandits in the forest doesn't make much sence cause its in the middle of a open field surrounded by a small wooded area

Other than that i think its not bad

Level 7
Hmm, it doesn't look pretty.

Twenty trees with a wall around them? Looks alright as a playable map but if it's meant as art, it's rubish. No environment around it and no atmosphere. Also, try to pick better angles.

Learn to use fog, ever seen such a dark fog during noon? The idea of the second map is nice, but badly executed.

My advice to you: Learn to use the UTM and the WE. Check out ~Void~'s advanced lightning tutorial to learn how to make some atmosphere. Also study other people's terrains and practice alot ;)

Level 8
Rock Chunks:

These are my most favorite of doodads to work with when it comes to terrain/nature kind of stuff.

I have gotten into the habit of making a copy, converting it into a ramp, remove its select ability and leave 'targeted as' blank. Now the chunks are just part of the landscape.

I set the max size to 5 (500) or even 9 (900). I embed the larger ones onto my hills.

Ones that are large and embedded in the sides of hills can function as cliffs - make them walkable and lay in pathing blockers on the low side allowing units to walk from the high side onto the rocks. Pathing is removed from the rock chunks to allow walking.

For yours I would suggest making a few copies and tint them slightly - a slightly darker one, perhaps a slightly pink one (higher in the red to match the pink rock terrain texture a wee bit better) Lay in a 'main' rock say a default Gray one that is larger, then lay in darker ones and your pinkish ones around it.

(see Harmony Rock Example below). I used 'dark' rock chunks and light gray ones to make a 'pile' for diversity in color I used various rocks from various sets - all of these are larger (3 or up to 300 in scale) and have had pathing removed. Every stone, every rock is set in individually, I hit the space bar over and over with "place random variation" on and with size and rotation set to randomly apply. Each one is set down, then I lower or embed them in the landscape: (see Harmony Terrain Off) When you compare the two imaged you will note that that gray rock chunk (left foreground) is mostly buried - only the flat portion is slightly above the terrain. Since my rock chunks are walkable, once I lay in my pathing blockers I will leave that flat 'bed rock exposed' rock chunk as walkable and buildable.

Right now you have rock chunks hanging over into mid air - that would be great if these models were made to hang in mid air.

If you are looking for the look of rock protruding over the land scape, then you need to make a copy of those rock chunks, and modify either Art - max roll or Art Max pitch to -1.57 - you do that by holding the shift key and double clicking that line (that way you can insert the negative number) Then you get to play your rock chunk sideways (See Sideways 2) lower it slightly then back it with an upright rock chunk.

For completely upside down ones use -3.14

If these are walkable, then your units will be able to walk over (not under) the rock chunk on its side. You will of course need to look straight down and lay in pathing blockers to prevent a unit from 'jumping' from the flat ground all the way up into the air onto the rock chunk.

There are three variations of rock chunk in the game. Two are in the editor, the other you have to use the hidden code : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f278/list-hidden-material-within-world-editor-6365/#2 in order to use it.

Attachments

• Harmony Rock example.JPG
    Harmony Rock example.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Harmony Terrain Off.JPG
    Harmony Terrain Off.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Sideways 2.JPG
    Sideways 2.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 202
Level 3
Hmm, it doesn't look pretty.

Twenty trees with a wall around them? Looks alright as a playable map but if it's meant as art, it's rubish. No environment around it and no atmosphere. Also, try to pick better angles.

All of the arts I displayed so far (Walled Grove and Bandits in the Forest) were made for various playable maps, not as terrain art. I do ask that you consider the art given the modifiers I gave for each section. I will be adding atmosphere at some point but it wasn't something I was worried about when I made them.

And I admit the angle on walled groves was fairly bad, and the sky for both maps could have temporarily been changed to more suitably fit my chosen view, but otherwise, what kind of angle would you suggest?

@Wraith: Thanks for the advice on rocks! ^_^

Whats with the walled in grove?
The grove seems too flat to me

I like the bomb covered field
Bandits in the forest doesn't make much sense cause its in the middle of a open field surrounded by a small wooded area
@Grove: I think that is because of bad camera angles, I'll work on that, there is actually a big terraced hill in the middle hidden by those trees.
@Forest: The majority of the forest isn't visible in the main shots but if you glance at the Overhead you'll see its surrounded by trees.

Level 24
Ok well they defiantly need some fog, and they look a bit boring and empty in some parts. Like in the first one the area outside the wall looks pretty empty. Also in the third one the tops of the mountains look too pointy in my opinion, maybe try smoothing them out a bit. And finally in the fifth one it looks a little empty around the main building.

Status
Not open for further replies.