• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Custom model glitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
So I'm trying to make wall models using Blender(2.83), exporting them through the forked Fingolfin's MDL Exporter plugin.
I don't often encounter problems with my other models but this one does.
The model's gate face began glitching out and sticking to other doodads in-game.
modelrenderingunfine.png

Despite it was rendered fine in both Magos' and Retera's model editors.
modelrenderingfine.png

I tried using it on a new blank map, in case one of my map got corrupted, yet the glitch continues, even tried to delete the gate mesh entirely, remade the mesh, and it still happened.

I attached my model into this thread if someone wanna check it out.

Attachments

• wall1door.mdx
    19.8 KB · Views: 26
Level 41
The model's gate face began glitching out and sticking to other doodads in-game.
is this how it looks like in-game?
if so then try attaching it to other bone and then reattaching back to original bone and see if it helps

Level 14
is this how it looks like in-game?
if so then try attaching it to other bone and then reattaching back to original bone and see if it helps
Thanks! It's probably the auto-generated bone from the exporter that messes with the vertices.

I manually created the bone in Blender and parent the meshes to it, as a workaround to properly attach the vertices to the bone.
Screenshot 2021-07-31 192158.png

After experimenting with this model somewhat, my current theory is that the game engine most likely was written hastily in such a way that a bone with no animation sequence and no track would load garbage memory to determine its location, so an engine programmer probably put in a stupid hack fix such as, "the first bone in a geoset who lacks any tracks or animation will get the identity matrix as its default location!" or something like this, but then for other bones in the same geoset the fix doesnt take effect.

One reason that this would have never been fixed would be that the original War3ArtTools plugin generally was generating bones and stuff on the fly based on how the things were animated if I recall, so it was difficult or unlikely that a user with that plugin would have ever created a mesh that had been attached to two separate bones, but then both of those bones had no animation.

That's all just guesswork on my part though. It looks like you found an engine bug (albeit one that was fixed on Reforged, or so I'm told).

Last edited:
Level 29
Can you upload the fixed model please?

After experimenting with this model somewhat, my current theory is that the game engine most likely was written hastily in such a way that a bone with no animation sequence and no track would load garbage memory to determine its location, so an engine programmer probably put in a stupid hack fix such as, "the first bone in a geoset who lacks any tracks or animation will get the identity matrix as its default location!" or something like this, but then for other bones in the same geoset the fix doesnt take effect.

Does this mean if for example you add a third empty bone and attach stuff to it, it's also garbage?

Last edited:
Level 14
Can you upload the fixed model please?
Sure, here's the fixed one.

The unfixed model has 2 bones, created automatically from the exporter if the meshes are not parented to a bone. Because they are two separated meshes (Gate mesh & Wall mesh), each of them are attached to their own respective bones. From what Retera theorized, because both bones don't have their animation, one of the bones got a quick fix by the engine while the others didn't.

Even then, I'm not so sure because the archway model is part of the "Gate1" mesh, and it rendered just fine before I got the fix.

Attachments

• wall1door.mdx
    19.7 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.