• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Edit Model impossible

Level 6
Hello

I'm trying to change some units' textures but i can't.
I exported the textures and models with Ladik's cascviewer. But my War3 model editor (to know the import path for the texture) can't open it. It says "Unknown tag * * in Material Layer"
(btw i can import downloaded models but they are shown black... is it normal ? Because i didnt open the textures with it ?)

I tryed Retera's one but i can't even make it find the warcraft 3 file directory, and blender is too complicated for me.

Thanks for your future help

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ladik's model editor suffered from a lack of maintenance. It will not be able to open Reforged models, and can bug processing some models. The black texture issue is likely due to it not knowing where the skin texture is though, so likely can be ignored.

It is recommended to use Retera's model editor as it is a lot newer and more compliant than Ladik's. If you are having problems using it I recommend asking over on the official Discord for it.

I tryed Retera's one but i can't even make it find the warcraft 3 file directory
Blizzard moved how the game stored itself in the registry, which is also why War3ModelEditor is not going to find the game unless maybe if you installed from a CD or something. I specifically made a choice in 2019 or so to put the user in charge of finding the installation, because the game versions created so many possibilities. It's meant to be pretty easy, so that Clear then Add War3 Install on the game install UI should let you pretty quickly add your game install.

I happen to be sitting at a weird computer with an old version of Warcraft III installed, but ignoring the fact that my warcraft folder has a weird name with an old version number in the folder name, the UI should look mostly like this:

1700704776843.png

If it doesn't look like this, try using Clear All and then Add War3 Install Directory and then navigate to C:\Program Files\Warcraft III on your computer.

Level 6
Blizzard moved how the game stored itself in the registry, which is also why War3ModelEditor is not going to find the game unless maybe if you installed from a CD or something. I specifically made a choice in 2019 or so to put the user in charge of finding the installation, because the game versions created so many possibilities. It's meant to be pretty easy, so that Clear then Add War3 Install on the game install UI should let you pretty quickly add your game install.

I happen to be sitting at a weird computer with an old version of Warcraft III installed, but ignoring the fact that my warcraft folder has a weird name with an old version number in the folder name, the UI should look mostly like this:

View attachment 454973

If it doesn't look like this, try using Clear All and then Add War3 Install Directory and then navigate to C:\Program Files\Warcraft III on your computer.
Thanks for your help but it doesnt work. I tryed it in different orders, clear many times, reinstalling your tool but... Nothing, only errors.
My Warcraft 3 is not in Program Files, it put himself somewhere else. But moving it scares me because all my pathings will be broken.
Even if i show him the right path, it brokes.

Do i need to choose the "Warcraft III" file itself or the file in which Warcraft III file is ?
image.png
image.png