• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Models and textures from another game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi :)

I am working on my map and I want to use some models/textures from another game. I downloaded Blender and I found some tutorials how to import/export models from both games but I am not sure if it is possible in the end.

So it it possible to transfer via Blender models/textures from one game to World Editor?

Is it possible that textures will have too big size (MB) and causing problems in World Editor? Is there a software that can help with that in easy way?

I used Google and HIVE search but I did not find anything connected to transferring model from one game to another,

Thank you for answer.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Yes and no...

Yes it is technically possible since one can format those models in a way to be compatible with Warcraft III. No it is usually not legally possible since those models are licenced for another game and not Warcraft III, exception being other Blizzard products.
Is it possible that textures will have too big size (MB) and causing problems in World Editor? Is there a software that can help with that in easy way.
Yes and no. Obviously some sort of uber texture which is 4GB in size will fail. However normal textures like 2048x2048 will work fine. Such textures might need to be stored as .tga or downsized to 512x512 since Warcraft III only supports BLP mipmap levels that are 512x512 at biggest.

EDIT: As of 1.31 Warcraft III does support using BLP texture mipmaps larger than 512x512.

Last edited:
Level 3
hello i want to export models from other game (heroes of anihilated empires rts similar) specificabilly buildings of undead to my mod to warcraft 3. How can I do it?
I also want extract unit models from total war warhammer

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
hello i want to export models from other game (heroes of anihilated empires rts similar) specificabilly buildings of undead to my mod to warcraft 3. How can I do it?
I also want extract unit models from total war warhammer
You will have to contact the developers of the respective game to ask for permission to do this. It is highly likely they will refuse such permission, especially without major payment.

The process would be like all model porting. You will need to first convert the models from their game specific formats to a generic portable model format and then from that format to mdl/mdx for use in Warcraft III. Due to difference in how models are rigged one might need to expend considerable manual effort for such ported models to function properly as Warcraft III models.

Status
Not open for further replies.