• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Create a fake water surface below the real water surface and keep it only visible below

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
For my submarine map I want to create a fake water surface under the real water surface. The real water surface in Warcraft is not visible from below. Hence, I need my own fake version. I use the following model as base: Lava
I removed the second geoset making it only one single plane and I am using Warcraft's water texture instead of the lava.
However, when I start the map sometimes I can't see Warcraft's water anymore but this fake water although the Doodad is clearing placed below it.
I have no idea what the priority plane and filter modes/flags and "Sort Primitives Far Z" etc. mean. Is there any way to achieve that the real water is always shown instead of my fake version below?

If there is any better approach to this pleas tell me about it. I have the feeling that the model sometimes disappears randomly. I need a stable version of a model which is always shown only if the camera is below the real water surface.

Another question is: Does Reforged have another water texture than the one from classic and if so where can I find it?

Attachments

• LavaTwoSidedOneLayer.mdx
    1.4 KB · Views: 17
  • A_Water00.blp
    20 KB · Views: 21
Level 21
I am using Warcraft's water texture
If that's the standard WC3 water texture without any edits, why are you importing it again?
I need a stable version of a model which is always shown only if the camera is below the real water surface.
So why not just make the plane one sided?
Does Reforged have another water texture than the one from classic and if so where can I find it?
war3.w3mod\_hd.w3mod\textures\water ?

Level 25
True, I can use the standard texture path. I can try to make it one sided but the bottom side.

edit:
It works now thx for the hint. I have attached the file.
Is there anyway to use a texture path which would take the HD version if the player uses HD and the SD version if the player uses SD? I have to use a fixed texture path right or is there any replacable texture.

edit2:
Btw. now I get some strange behaviour I think that when I scroll out of my map too far in the World Editor it gets all dark/black.
However, this seems to be normal behaviour of Warcraft Reforged :(

Attachments

• LavaOneSidedOneLayerNoCustomTexture.mdx
    1.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Level 21
Is there anyway to use a texture path which would take the HD version if the player uses HD and the SD version if the player uses SD?
I don't have Reforged, so I have no idea.
is there any replacable texture.
I don't know, but in my opinion using a material that cycles between multiple water textures would look a lot better than only using a simple texture translation (take a look at the water geoset that appears near the end of the birth animation of classic Naga buildings).

Level 21
Btw. now I get some strange behaviour I think that when I scroll out of my map too far in the World Editor it gets all dark/black.
However, this seems to be normal behaviour of Warcraft Reforged :(
If you are talking about what I think than I have always had this. ctrl + scrolling with the mouse toggles this. I think this function is just to avoid unnecessarily rendering a whole bunch of stuff.

Level 25
Okay, so I have this model now without transparency and I recalculated the Extens in Mago's model editor but when I rotate it sometimes disappears and I can see everything on the water surface which is not good for my map. I have created a Destructible from it with a massive scaling of 700.00, to fit it the whole map. The disappearing destructible/doodad is something I have already experienced in the past and I thought calculating the extents would be enough. Any idea how to fix that? Does it make a difference using a Doodad rather than a Destructible? Should I use bigger Extents?!

I have attached the model. The one layer should be fine for now since it won't be transparent anyway.

Attachments

• LavaOneSidedOneLayerNoCustomTextureNoFilterNewExtents.mdx
    1.4 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.