• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problem with extents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I am working on a map which is supposed to be completely covered in water, and i wanted to use the custom high-res water plane from the main menu instead of the ugly warcraft water. Instead of making a billion water doodads of 512x512 each, i decided i should resize the model to the map size, which is 20480x20480. However, even though the extents are properly calculated, the model refuses to render unless its origin is within the camera area. I even tried with planes of 2048x2048, but even then, i get problems with planes not being rendered when they should be.

Is there some kind of limit in wc3 for how large the extents of a model can be? I am attaching the two models to this post for you to check out.

Attachments

• WaterPlaneHuge.mdx
    10.8 KB · Views: 58
  • WaterPlaneMedium.mdx
    10.8 KB · Views: 60
Level 17
Must be the result of your resizing, what did you use to make it larger ? I generally find that changing extents with some of these wc3 tools (like magos for example) just does not work.
Doodads will render at any size with correct extents, even way past the camera/map bounds. Destructibles will not though, regardless of the extents.
Whether there is limit, dunno but 20,000x20,000 units big meshes do render for me.

Yeah, Anvil was right, it was because i was using destructables. I still found though, that the doodad has to appear once within the camera bounds for it to render, after that it conforms to the extents. To solve this i had to pan the camera to the location of the water plane on startup, and then instantly pan it back to where it was supposed to be.

Anyhow, i also noticed that each geoset aswell as each animation has its own extents, so if changing the base extents in magos doesn't work, it might be related to these other ones. I have never had any problems before though.

Status
Not open for further replies.