• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model extents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey, i hope this is the right place to ask :)

My idea: A closeup camera view on a unit portrait, in my case the Uther_portrait.mdl
Problem: Due to being a portrait the model is moved a few hundred units to the right and top away from the model 'origin'

So when having a closeup the model would obviously go invisible because the origin was not in sight of the camera and warcraft 3 would think the model shall not be rendered.

My Solution: I opened the model in Magos and put some really high values in the extents (Edit -> Model Properties) like for the minimum -4000 and the maximum extents +4000. I'm not too familiar with this stuff so correct me if i'm doing it wrong.

Anyways, when reimporting the model into the editor it then actually worked fine. Visible from all angles, even if so zoomed in that the near clip almost touches the nose of dear Uther.

BUT, now that i watch the same angle INGAME, the model is yet again not rendered. Only when the origin is in the visual frame, the model is rendered properly, which leads me to think the extents are somehow only accepted by my editor but not by my game... which doesn't make a lot of sense right?

So, does someone know how to fix this 'difference' between editor and ingame extents? Or another solution, like moving the origin into the face somehow? Or making it visible and rendered ALL THE TIME no matter if in sight or not (which may be the case when it's used as a portrait anyways)?

Well, any ideas are appreciated, and thanks for reading this long and complicated thread :)

Level 5
did u change the extents of th MESH? make sure u do that
u may have changed the extents in the tab of the editor, you must change the extents of the geoset

Level 3
Don't know what you mean, to be honest. What else would i be changing the extents of when i use magos?

Status
Not open for further replies.