• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Calculating extents breaks models or at least the editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Hey, so I've attached some models in their original and Magos' calculated extents form. The latter crash the editor for some reason and @YourArthas told me they can't be loaded in Mdlvis.

Any other programs or means out there to calculate extents so that the models won't suddenly appear on screen when nearing them?

The statue model also becomes more square (loses polygons).
They are probably ripped models from WoW and some other game(s).

Attachments

• Calculated.zip
    321.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Original.zip
    151.4 KB · Views: 37

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Do the original ones even work in the game?
Yes.
Can't Retera's editor calculate new extents?
It doesn't have such a feature from what I've seen.
It has something called Recalculate Normals though.

What did you do so I would know what to?
I tried saving them as .mdx and .mdl after calculating extents but there was no difference.

Level 29
Guess I need to stop skinning checks when there are no bones in the sanity test then.

There were extra 4 bytes in each of the geosets. Looking at Magos' code, assuming what I have is the same as the final version, I don't really see how they got to there.
I don't know if this information would help you, I used my code to figure where the issue was, and a hex editor to remove the extra bytes.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
They work now, they really do.

Retera's doesn't love them anymore, neither the .mdx nor the .mdl.
1.png
2.png

Same with Magos' but only with the .mdl:
1.png

Mdlvis, same as above:
2.png

The important thing is, they work ingame and in the editor, so thank you!
I might bug you with an edited version of the statue though if you don't mind :D

Level 29
Handling 0 bones seems to be yiffy at best across the different implementations, but at least it works correctly on mine :ogre_hurrhurr:

With that being said, you'll probably be better off with having a bone and attaching the vertices properly, if you want your models to be openable in the relevant programs.
Although @Retera should probably fix it for his as well.
So many things break Magos and Mdlvis and no one will ever update them.

Last edited:
Level 29
I checked some more by editing one of them in MDL, and for some reason the existence of the texture animations causes this. Even if they are all completely empty, and not used by the layers, the fact they exist makes the layer window crash.

If I delete the texture animations externally, and then add one in Magos and reference it in a layer, the reference is lost when saving.

Maybe there are known issues with texture animations and Magos that I just don't know about, seems to be very buggy.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I assume Retera's editor can? You guys know a lot more than me about the modding tools, I haven't used these programs in many years (or ever)
I'm afraid not :\
Either way I removed the flag for all of the materials if it solves the issue for now.
How then?

I mean from what I gathered, your previous modification didn't allow the animations to work anymore and stuff so what did you do differently now?

Also, thanksss.

Last edited:
Level 29
I modified the flags directly in a hex editor again.
The layer window still crashes Magos.

That being said, you can also do it in MDL and convert back to MDX.
I am assuming Retera's editor can convert between the two, and there are other converters, but if you want something quick there's one here.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I modified the flags directly in a hex editor again.
The layer window still crashes Magos.

That being said, you can also do it in MDL and convert back to MDX.
I am assuming Retera's editor can convert between the two, and there are other converters, but if you want something quick there's one here.
I see! Thanks. Yeah, Magos' can do it too. Not sure it helps with then actually editing the materials the normal way.

Status
Not open for further replies.