• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #6 - Tribal Princess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

the%20hive%20workshop.png

concept%20art.png
contest.png
number.png
6.png

thwcac6p-mjdigitalart-d2zrlx8.png

Tribal Princess
Design a princess of a tribal society. Be creative.
Tribal implies the materials and techniques used by your character has to be consistent with a society that lived before 1000BC, or an equivalent fantasy or alien society. Think hand-crafted tools, weapons and clothes. As you are making a princess, it will also need to be recognisable as a female member of the society with higher esteem than the average member of the society. A princess can have an additional role to being a princess, such as a shaman or a hunter. I will also require your character to be a humanoid or half-humanoid for practical reasons, no tribal princess tigers.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Judges may not participate.
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • Art theft is absolutely not allowed and will be dealt with appropriately.
  • You may not utilise techniques such as photomanipulation, paintover or tracing in this contest.
  • Clearly deviating from the theme will result in disqualification. Ask if you don't understand the theme.
  • Your concept must be depicted in full body, and it is preferable to represent it from at least two different angles.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. There should be at least one image file in either .PNG, or .JPG format.
  • You must show at least one WIP of your final design before the deadline. It is strongly encouraged to do thumbnails as well.
  • Background are allowed as long as they do not detract from the concept, and the concept should not depend on the background.
  • Your submission may not be commenced on before the official launch of the contest, and you may not use previous work partially.
  • Teamwork is not allowed, but providing feedback to other contestants is strongly encouraged.
  • If you think there is any chance your submission will be rejected, clarify with the host.
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Pyramidhe@d
  • Open

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
Does the artist take advantage of the theme, or is the vision unfitting?/10%

Execution
Does the artist display the design in an effective manner, or is it hard to tell what is what? Are artistic techniques used effectively to make the character interesting, or does the style deteriorate the concept? Is the appearance of the design objectively pleasing, or is it of low quality?/25%

Concept
Does the design offer a new creative approach, or is it generic and cliché? Does it have character, or is it just another boring design? Does the design make sense and fit the description, or is it necessary to read the title to understand?/40%

Realism
Does the design balance, or are the proportions impractical? Is the anatomy or construction correct, does it allow the character to move as it should, or is functionality disregarded entirely?/25%
  • 75 % of the points shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the points shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on the 12th of December 2011 and conclude on the 31st of January 2012, 11:59 PM GMT

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 31
I'd just like to note, in light of past contests, that being creative doesn't mean going to the outer edges of what passes as part of the theme and barely stepping over it hoping to still be included in the theme. That's not creativity. That's called being a dick. Fucking stop that.

A tribal princess is a tribal princess. Not a bug. Not a car. Not a chair. Not a dildo. It's a mother fucking tribal princess. So make a god damn tribal princess.

Creativity is doing what the theme states, but in a creative way. At it's core, you should be able to look at your work and instantly think "tribal princess."

So stop finding loopholes to the theme and abusing them. Just make something that fits the damn theme. This isn't rocket science.

You know who you are. Stop it.

~I'm Bob and I approve this message.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I know I said we'd have a poll. I know there were themes that were popular in the idea process. I know this isn't one of the most popular themes in that discussion. However, this is a concrete theme that offers little ambiguity. It also offers a lot of freedom for creativity. It is easy to judge because we all know what a princess is, and we all know what tribal is. If you don't know this, and you're reading this, you need to check that first post one more time.

Yeah, I'm a bitch. I just disregarded everything you guys spent minutes on discussing.

Furthermore, I would really like everyone to at least try thumbnailing for this concept art contest. There's a link to a video tutorial on thumbnailing below the rules. I suggest that everyone not familiar with it check that video out. There are plenty of material on it if you want to research it further.

Example:
TheThing11.jpg

You thumbnail before you start fleshing out the details and working on a high resolution representation. Thumbnailing is to explore ideas, boost creativity and narrow down the right silhouette for your character. The silhouette is the first thing any viewer will notice, and it is essential for a concept to work.

Also, to clarify: thumbnailing doesn't necessarily mean making black blobs of somewhat recognisable figures. Sketches, on paper or digitally, and blobs in various colours work as well. The main idea is to explore different silhouettes before choosing what silhouette your character should be presented in.

Good luck, and I hope the roughly one and a half month's time, combined with the winter holidays, will give everyone enough time to participate.

Finally,

I'd just like to note, in light of past contests, that being creative doesn't mean going to the outer edges of what passes as part of the theme and barely stepping over it hoping to still be included in the theme. That's not creativity. That's called being a dick. Fucking stop that.

A tribal princess is a tribal princess. Not a bug. Not a car. Not a chair. Not a dildo. It's a mother fucking tribal princess. So make a god damn tribal princess.

Creativity is doing what the theme states, but in a creative way. At it's core, you should be able to look at your work and instantly think "tribal princess."

So stop finding loopholes to the theme and abusing them. Just make something that fits the damn theme. This isn't rocket science.

You know who you are. Stop it.

~I'm Bob and I approve this message.

I TOO APPROVE THIS MESSAGE.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Half of the usual contestants have complained and or expressed discomfort with requiring thumbnails for this contest. Because of this, I have decided to remove the requirement in hopes of more people participating.

Rejoice, morons.

Interesting theme... I think i'll pass, since it's quite the opposite of what i am willing to draw lately.
If you only do what you are willing to do, how are you ever going to get a job?

I guess I'll just have to wait until next time to see Evil Princess.
There's nothing keeping people from making an evil tribal princess.

Not exactly my strongest theme. :/

Joining anyway XD

GL everyone. :D
That's the spirit!

I'll try a concept here, it's been a while since my last drawing.
Super!

Drawing sexy girls ain't really my thing, so I think I'll pass this one :b
Who said anything about princesses having to be sexy?

I had really been looking forward to participating in the concept art contest, and I saw lots of interesting themes being discussed. Then, I find only that all of the wonderful suggestions, and the themes which several people had agreed on, had been entirely disregarded, only to end up with an absolutely awful theme. "Tribal Princess" doesn't leave enough room for the artists to have variations in their style. Every single person's submission will not only have to be a princess, but also have to be tribal. This means that both the subject and the style are fixed, and so every submission will have to be extremely similar to the rest. Plus the fact that I'm sure most people weren't looking forward to drawing tribal princesses in the first place...
So, I guess I'll sit this one out... Maybe one day we'll have another concept art contest with a better theme. Good luck to those of you who still participate.

Level 9
I might make a suggestion.. What about a tribal princess. Then paired with a golem/guardian as an accessory. just a thought. That means the golem/guardian HAS to be in theme with the princess.

EDIT:

but judging might be princess 70% if the main element is her.

Level 27
There's nothing keeping people from making an evil tribal princess.
Yes there is. Statistics. Clearly I can't expect all of them to be evil, thus I am displeased.
themes which several people had agreed on,
It's easy to agree on a nomination, but we still have to screw over every other "agreement" for the sake of having one sole winner.

(For the record, Tribal Princess arose from Evil Princess, which came from Personification of Evil + Princess since they were listed right next to each other. Would you have been happier with Evil Princess? ;) )
This means that both the subject and the style are fixed,
Which style are we talking about here? As far as I know, you can draw using whatever style you wish, irrespective of subject matter.
Every submission will have to be extremely similar to the rest.
Then you should find it rather easy to compete, no? If you've isolated the pattern that will permeate the entries, you can make yours stand out above all the rest.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I had really been looking forward to participating in the concept art contest, and I saw lots of interesting themes being discussed. Then, I find only that all of the wonderful suggestions, and the themes which several people had agreed on, had been entirely disregarded, only to end up with an absolutely awful theme. "Tribal Princess" doesn't leave enough room for the artists to have variations in their style. Every single person's submission will not only have to be a princess, but also have to be tribal. This means that both the subject and the style are fixed, and so every submission will have to be extremely similar to the rest. Plus the fact that I'm sure most people weren't looking forward to drawing tribal princesses in the first place...
So, I guess I'll sit this one out... Maybe one day we'll have another concept art contest with a better theme. Good luck to those of you who still participate.
We didn't disregard all the suggestions. In fact, we had a rather lengthy discussion weighing all the themes up against each other. We ended up combining two of the rather popular themes, evil and princess (or stuff with boobs as 67chrome neatly put it). Then I actually came to realise that evil leaves too much to interpretation. I don't want to define the theme by something as subjective as evil. Whether an entry is good or evil is rather up to the contestant. We still thought Princess alone was too broad, so we touched onto Medieval. However, medieval is fairly overused and I wanted to do something a little less common, hence tribal.

Why did we disregard so many of the themes?
Mechanic is way too broad. Golem/Colossus was used for a texturing contest not long ago, and is actually fairly broad as well. War Maiden didn't offer a definite description, there's nothing there to define what it is beyond female involved in war. Environment specific, although one of my favourites in terms of possible subjects, is also incredibly broad and if we were to do such a thing, we would need to pick one specific kind of thing that is common for the chosen environment. Elementals are too broad, I don't know where the limits go. Is Zeus a thunder elemental, for instance? Or is a thunder elemental exclusively made out of thunder? In which case we'd end up with some fairly boring, effect-spam entries. Abomination is basically anything ugly, so that's an obvious no.

Uhm, multi-purpose creature, although it sounded challenging at first, doesn't really offer any description of what you actually have to make. Is a dog a multi-purpose creature?

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and Seven Princes of Hell are abstract ideas. They are entirely subjective and there's nothing to compare them by. You can't have a vague theme. Angelic also goes into this category.

Household Robot and Animate Armour are fairly defined themes, but they still leave a lot to interpretation. What animates the armour? What is considered armour? What does a household robot do? What is a household? What is a robot? Out of experience, people tend to push far beyond the boundaries of the theme and claim it's vaguely acceptable because this and that - ie making a transformer and calling it, uhm, animate armour because there's nothing organic in it. Or calling the same transformer a household robot because, technically, it can clean a house if it wants to.

Everybody hates anthropomorphism, myself included, we don't want furries. I don't like alien parasites - and not a whole lot of people seemed to like it either. Regardless, Alien Parasite was the only other theme suggested, that would've been acceptable.

If I forgot one of the suggestions, I am sorry, but there's probably an equally flawless explanation for why it was not chosen.

I might make a suggestion.. What about a tribal princess. Then paired with a golem/guardian as an accessory. just a thought. That means the golem/guardian HAS to be in theme with the princess.

EDIT:

but judging might be princess 70% if the main element is her.
As long as the princess is the primary idea in the concept, familiars are accepted. Just, really do make sure the princess is the subject and that the familiar is to emphasise the characteristics of the princess.

You left out the environment-specific theme, which I think would have left people more choice, while still having a strong theme to keep the entries having something in common.
I just think that tribal princess will prevent most people from wanting to participate, as it is too specific, because the contestants would have to 1: draw a princess. 2: make her look tribal. That doesn't leave enough room for personalization.
And, what do you mean, "we"? If, by "we", you mean you and yourself, then yes, "we" decided on this. I did not see any of the latest posts signifying any wish for the "tribal princess" as a theme. Pretending that "the personification of evil" which many people did want, has anything in common with "tribal princess", which I did not see much support for, seems somewhat... dishonest.
But, whatever, you're the person running the contest, not the community, so I suppose it doesn't matter what I think anyway. Carry on with your contest, I won't be interfering. Wouldn't want an argument on a thread as important as this.

Level 31
I love how people are complaining about how specific the themes are.

It's really quite simple. Themes need to be objects. Not concepts or abstract ideas. That's all fuckery that makes it extremely hard for the judges to compare things, because everything has a wildly different premise.

The theme is not supposed to be "artistic" in it's conception. It's supposed to be an object. The art is what needs to be artistic.

Every single person's submission will not only have to be a princess, but also have to be tribal. This means that both the subject and the style are fixed, and so every submission will have to be extremely similar to the rest.

That's the whole fucking point. Every submission needs to be comparable in some way. It's like you want an "ANYTHING GOES AS LONG AS YOU HAVE FUN" contest.

What the hell does the style have to do with that? It's simply subject matter. Extremely similar? You realize that different people draw better or worse than others, yes? That's sort of the idea. The contest is to figure out who is better at it.

MY GOODNESS. YOU PEOPLE.

Level 38
Uhm, multi-purpose creature, although it sounded challenging at first, doesn't really offer any description of what you actually have to make. Is a dog a multi-purpose creature?

Welll, what I wrote was 2 combine two mythological creatures. The whole idea was more an exercise of words and more specifically creating synonyms that weren't really there to begin with. Considering "dog" isn't a mythological creature I'd say no.

For the contest themes in general it's nice to have broad enough ones that they can generate a wide range of interest while offering enough restrictions to set them apart from other contests. Princess is specific enough IMO, tribal makes it considerably more restrictive. If you're worried about people doing unintended things the best way to circumvent them is to have extensive and well-detailed rules.

That said, time to brainstorm how I'm gonna combine a shaman, druid, or barbarian w/ boobs XD

....... 5 years later in the industry.

Le noob = «I'M SUPAH GAWD AND I HAVE GREAT IDEASS YEAH!»
Le Boss = «really? great, we need a Tribal Princess character for our game.. in 2 hours show me what you've got so far.»
le noob = «......but but, I only draw dragons? D:»
Le Boss = «...»

*Le Boss stares at le noob in a deadly way*

Le Boss = «.....tribal..... princess, I'm pretty sure you can come up with something.»
Le noob = «erm ..no»

*10 years later, we see le noob starving on the street drawing dragons on newspaper and cursing the world for not understanding his art... true story.*

Here's an other story that is even MORE REALISTIC!

*we see a n00b starving on the street drawing only mermaids on newspaper and cursing the world for not understanding his art... in fact, he NEVER got a JOB opportunity...true story.*

-----------------------
To be back on subject.. JUST FUCKING DO WHAT THE FUCKING CONTEST TELLS YOU! IF YOU CALL YOURSELF A CONCEPT-ARTIST.

mucho love amigos!
-----------------------

I love how people are complaining about how specific the themes are.

It's really quite simple. Themes need to be objects. Not concepts

Eh? Then why's it a -concept- art contest? A theme IS a concept. Not an object. The object is the implementation of that theme. Using a specific object as a theme, as this concept art contest has done, doesn't seem very fitting to me.

The goal of a concept art contest is supposed to be to determine who can come up with a better concept, not only to compare the drawing talents of the contestants. I suggest that the name of this contest be changed, because it is absolutely not a concept art contest, it is merely an art contest. There seems to be absolutely no concept involved.
If the contest was called Character Creation Contest, or something more fitting, then I would approve (but still not participate, not a fan of tribal princess)

Level 31
Right, the best Tribal Princess concept wins...

I don't see your problem here.

This is exactly why the theme shouldn't be a concept. The artist is supposed to be the one to fuck with that.

If there isn't a somewhat specific theme or object for the art to be centered around, the concepts can't be judged with each other.

You're dicking around with semantics and that wasn't the point. The point is, themes shouldn't be abstract ideas/concepts. They should be objects like, chair, darth vader, tribal princess, sex toy, etc. The implementation of sed objects in the artist's concept is what's being judged.

Having themes that are basically just, "make something that means this philosophical concept like 'Light and Dark'" produce wildly differently themed concepts that can't be compared with each other.

Level 9
I think this theme has much possibilities. Considering how many REAL tribes there are and the deities they worship, environment, etc...

Reactions might've been different if they said "WARRIOR" instead of "PRINCESS"

Tribal Princess ^

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I thought it was made pretty fucking clear that the ONLY LIMITATION is that your character concept is recognisable as a Tribal Princess. And that you comply with the rules while participating.

TLI-Inferno, click the link in the first post and read what concept art is. Then come back here and tell me this isn't a concept art contest. Character design is one branch of concept art. It is the artwork that is a concept. If you want a conceptual art contest, I suggest you go to some other forum. We do not do that kind of stuff here. We do concept art.

Also, as Goblin perfectly demonstrated earlier: if there are certain things you are unwilling to even try, you will have some serious trouble getting concept art work. I'm cool with that, it's not my job to teach you anything, but don't shit all over this thread just because you don't want to try designing a tribal princess.

Level 7
Calm down, it was a joke.

Also, about that thing with the job:
You see, on a job, you get money. Here, you get, what, rep? What worth is that compared to money? If you gave me 100 bucks i'd draw ten thousand of these tribal princesses.
I would enter such a contest out of joy to draw, and i don't take seriously any of these contests. I believe you too should lower the level of anger a bit and just calm down. Both you and Bob. While i am at it, i suggest you use the word "Fuck" a little less, because using it does represent the opposite of intelligence.

Also, we complain that there was a bunch of great themes, but you picked this one. Why? Couldn't you combine two other themes, like "Technological" and "enviroment-specific" into something like a "Technological-biologic creature" in which we would present a technologically improved biological creature (for instance)? I can think of at least 10 themes that would get more attention than this one.

shiiK, the issue is not just my personal opinion. The issue is that there were plenty of great choices for the theme, but you insisted on instead disregarding the community, and having your own theme which isn't really very fitting, and which I do not think will result in a very good contest.
Think about the judges. Who wants to sit sorting through a hundred drawings of princesses and rating them? If judges can't enjoy it, how would an entire community enjoy it?

I also notice that you are raging at me, and you are not at all attempting to bring this discussion to any logical conclusion.
The thing about having a profession as a concept artist, is that most companies have more than one concept artist. The company would find an artist who would want to draw it. If they can't find one who wants to, they'll make them draw it anyway, because they're paying them money. This being an unpaid community, money is not a motivation for artwork. In order to expect significant participation, the theme would have to be something that people would be willing to participate in purely for the enjoyment of producing the artwork.

However, if you would prefer to simply continue insulting me, I would suggest that you send a private message to me. This thread is for discussing the contest. Rather than discussing the contest, and the theme of the contest, I notice that you have changed the subject to professions, and insulting me. If you derail your own topic, how can you expect other people to stick to it?

My only goal is that this contest have a theme which was chosen and accepted by the community, rather than chosen by a dictator who rages at anyone who questions the decisions. If you would allow the community to vote on a real poll, and the community voted for "Tribal Princess", then I would accept that as the theme. Your own personal decision, however, does not represent the interests of the community. I would appreciate it if you would consider the thoughts of others, and not insult people simply for having a different preference than yourself. And, as previously mentioned, cut down on the F-bomb a bit. As a prominent member of hive, members are supposed to look up to you, whether you want it or not. As you seem to be running this contest, you may also want to refrain from showing your anger, even if you are angry.

Level 7
shiiK, the issue is not just my personal opinion. The issue is that there were plenty of great choices for the theme, but you insisted on instead disregarding the community, and having your own theme which isn't really very fitting, and which I do not think will result in a very good contest.
Think about the judges. Who wants to sit sorting through a hundred drawings of princesses and rating them? If judges can't enjoy it, how would an entire community enjoy it?

I also notice that you are raging at me, and you are not at all attempting to bring this discussion to any logical conclusion.
The thing about having a profession as a concept artist, is that most companies have more than one concept artist. The company would find an artist who would want to draw it. If they can't find one who wants to, they'll make them draw it anyway, because they're paying them money. This being an unpaid community, money is not a motivation for artwork. In order to expect significant participation, the theme would have to be something that people would be willing to participate in purely for the enjoyment of producing the artwork.

However, if you would prefer to simply continue insulting me, I would suggest that you send a private message to me. This thread is for discussing the contest. Rather than discussing the contest, and the theme of the contest, I notice that you have changed the subject to professions, and insulting me. If you derail your own topic, how can you expect other people to stick to it?

I doubt that there's gonna be more than 10 entries, to be honest. I think the biggest amount of entries was 16 or so so far in such a contest.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Calm down, it was a joke.

Also, about that thing with the job:
You see, on a job, you get money. Here, you get, what, rep? What worth is that compared to money? If you gave me 100 bucks i'd draw ten thousand of these tribal princesses.
I would enter such a contest out of joy to draw, and i don't take seriously any of these contests. I believe you too should lower the level of anger a bit and just calm down. Both you and Bob. While i am at it, i suggest you use the word "Fuck" a little less, because using it does represent the opposite of intelligence.

Also, we complain that there was a bunch of great themes, but you picked this one. Why? Couldn't you combine two other themes, like "Technological" and "enviroment-specific" into something like a "Technological-biologic creature" in which we would present a technologically improved biological creature (for instance)? I can think of at least 10 themes that would get more attention than this one.
How are you going to get paid to draw tribal princesses if you've never ever drawn one before? Just saying. Not getting paid to participate is not sufficient reason not to try.

I already told you why the other themes were disregarded. They were abstract or otherwise too vague. Yeah, we could have Winter Wolf as theme. We could have Polar Bear as theme. We could have Eskimo Shaman as theme. We could have a Cyborg Eskimo Hunter as theme. We could not have Winter Environment Mechanical Beast as theme, because it's too vague.

Lastly, more attention does not mean more entries, and it does not mean more creative entries. There will always be people who dislike a theme. We just had to cut through and pick a specific theme that would work, and I decided that we should at least base it off of one of the suggestions. We could easily have come up with something nobody had suggested already, too.

There weren't plenty of choices, as I've demonstrated, there were three. One of them is frowned upon and out of the two remaining ones, I picked the one I think will provide the most interesting results. We could've had a poll for whether or not it should be Princess or Alien Parasite - with an additional attribute for specification -, but the fact is, we wouldn't have a definite winner, and we would merely delay the contest so much the whole idea of giving people time during the winter holidays would fade.

We won't have one hundred entries, you know this, I know this. We will have something between five and twenty. Regardless, I would LOVE to sort through one hundred different depictions of a tribal princess. Unfortunately, I intend to participate. Mainly because that's even more fun.

I have no desire to come to a compromise, I run this show, if you're not cool with the contest, stay out of it. You're complaining about the contest not being what you thought it was, a conceptual art contest, and trying to flaw my way of choosing an appropriate theme. This is a concept art contest, and seeing as the previous contests have been character design themed, I decided to go with that. There seems to be a general lack of landscape painters around here, so it would be silly to have such a theme right now, in my opinion. Moods are also considered concept art, but we really don't have the user base for that either.

The thing about having a profession as a concept artist, is that most companies have more than one concept artist. The company would find an artist who would want to draw it. If they can't find one who wants to, they'll make them draw it anyway, because they're paying them money.
"Doctor, you have to help this man."
"No, I don't want to! We have other doctors! I don't like brown hair!"

This being an unpaid community, money is not a motivation for artwork. In order to expect significant participation, the theme would have to be something that people would be willing to participate in purely for the enjoyment of producing the artwork.
Clearly, people are willing to participate. You can't have a theme that satisfies everyone, every time. Personally, I enjoy producing any and all forms of concept art. Theme doesn't matter one bit to me.

I have no interest in insulting you. What I am trying to avoid is people being confused by your posts in this thread. This thread is not for discussing the contest. This is for participating in the contest. The discussion finished when this thread was created.

I hope this clears up the confusion of whether or not this is a concept art contest, and that people will stop complaining about the theme. This thread is meant for people who are willing to participate, and for them to post works in progress, discuss ideas and have a good time making beautiful concept art.

What I see is

1# - People that want to draw dragons because they just want (can) to draw dragons... (metaphorically = selfish/arrogant and pussy)

2# - People that can't draw females so they just want an easier theme for their artistic level (pussy)

3# - People with no creativity so they want to change theme (pussy)

4# - People that don't care because they see this as A CHALLENGE (JEDI!!)

-----------------------
In other words, there's NO BAD THEME for CONCEPT-ART competitions... only bad participants....

yes, I will get flame for that.. see this as a subliminal message, we don't care which type of person you are... feel free to say it out loud, or not.

Last edited:
Stating an insulting category, and claiming that people fitting a certain characteristic belong in that category, is a cowardly attempt to direct insults towards people. Making a category does not mean that this category actually applies to people. Whatever insults you claim to apply do not actually apply to anyone.

Of course, you can continue to insult people over the internet, rather than actually discuss the contest, because it's obvious that is what you're going to do. I notice that those who are opposed to me have been constantly spouting insults with every post, with no actual evidence or support behind anything that they say.

Why should I waste anymore of my own time? I'll allow you all to continue wasting yours instead.

Level 23
I really was looking forward to this when I saw the first post, because - oh surprise - it was created by someone who is aware of what Concept means, who is aware of what Art means, and to sum it up, who is aware of what Concept Art means.
It looked like a very good contest and I was willing to participate - I still am.

Now it seems many people try to "bitch around" - not even that - here, because they clearly seem to not understand the meaning of the three terms.
Further, it does look (and that might be wrong, but it's the way their whining looks) like those people are simply not capable of participating with such a theme.
Furtheron, it seems like ... Well university is calling, I guess you get my point.
I would really appreciate if you guys could stop the conversation and let the art speak.
Because I want a CONCEPT ART CONTEST.
Thanks for your time.

Level 27
Wouldn't want an argument on a thread as important as this.
Wait. I'm confused. Is this or is this not The Arena? :V
blow up the moon
I believe we have our next theme.
So, this is not limited to humans only?
I don't see any reason why it would be limited thus. I mean, this is a concept are contest, is it not?

(I really feel that discouraging people from thinking outside the box is the wrong approach to take here, concept art of all places.)
What I see is
5# - People who are annoyed that they didn't get a vote, like how it's been working for awhile now, so far as I know:
We complain that there was a bunch of great themes, but you picked this one. Why? Couldn't you combine two other themes, like "Technological" and "enviroment-specific" into something like a "Technological-biologic creature" in which we would present a technologically improved biological creature (for instance)?
Yes. That could easily have been done.
My only goal is that this contest have a theme which was chosen and accepted by the community, rather than chosen by a dictator
Disagree.
who rages at anyone who questions the decisions.
Agree.
Your own personal decision, however, does not represent the interests of the community.
Irrelevant, if it were demonstrable.
I would appreciate it if you would consider the thoughts of others,
Was done.
and not insult people simply for having a different preference than yourself.
Agree.
And, as previously mentioned, cut down on the F-bomb a bit.
Disagree.
As a prominent member of hive, members are supposed to look up to you, whether you want it or not.
Disagree; they aren't supposed to, but to our unending torment, they do anyway.
@ TLI-Inferno, you should stop commenting in this thread and take some time to cool down, calling people names and attempting to stir up drama will only get you neg-repped.
Unless there's posts that have been moved out of the thread instead of simply deleted, I'm not seeing what you're referring to, and, further, I am seeing the insults TLI is referring to.
I just think that tribal princess will prevent most people from wanting to participate, as it is too specific,
I do not think will result in a very good contest.
I doubt that there's gonna be more than 10 entries, to be honest. I think the biggest amount of entries was 16 or so so far in such a contest.
We'll see. We'll all see.

Last edited:
Level 14

My only goal is that this contest have a theme which was chosen and accepted by the community, rather than chosen by a dictator who rages at anyone who questions the decisions. If you would allow the community to vote on a real poll, and the community voted for "Tribal Princess", then I would accept that as the theme. Your own personal decision, however, does not represent the interests of the community. I would appreciate it if you would consider the thoughts of others, and not insult people simply for having a different preference than yourself. And, as previously mentioned, cut down on the F-bomb a bit. As a prominent member of hive, members are supposed to look up to you, whether you want it or not. As you seem to be running this contest, you may also want to refrain from showing your anger, even if you are angry.

If your not interested don't participate.

The staff members are not payed by the users either to do their work, so actually listening to the community is optional in all rights. If staff members think "Tribal Princess" will make a good theme, than that will be the theme.

Furthermore a company has more concept artists because:
1) You can't have same guy make concept of terrain, creatures and human characters. Usually one person specializes in one type.
2) You need different approaches to the same idea in order to pick/create the best one.
3) You need certain X amount of concept art done in Y time. With just one concept artist Starcraft 2 wouldn't have been released yet.

~Great theme.
I'll be following this contest.

THW1.jpg

THW2.jpg

Edit: Didn't read page 3 before posting.

Last edited:
Level 9
Let this be the first entry and the end of the argument.

Initial WIP / concept.

shyuraah_by_dizzt-d4iz99t.jpg

Ahaken Shyuraah (Princess Shyuraah)

Princess of the living stone worshipers of the highlands.
Her people have the innate talent to control the unique volcanic stones in their lands.
Members of the royal family line can control them effortlessly, Shyuraah in particular.

Rumor has it she can move the mountains If she willed it.

@ TLI-Inferno, you should stop commenting in this thread and take some time to cool down, calling people names and attempting to stir up drama will only get you neg-repped.

Since when did I call anyone else names? All I did was suggest that the theme be changed, and then everyone started dropping the F-bomb. Then I'm accused of calling people names, when I have not even insulted a single person here, but have only stated that the community was rejected by shiik's decision.

dizzt, interesting princess and lore... But where's the tribal-ness?

I would like to join, but I will lose with a Huge KABOOOOOM!

So I will join still.

I dont give a shit about human anatomy, but I will join.
I have no ideas, but I will join.
I am not creative, but I will join.
I afraid of big images, but I will join.
I had no money to get in Art School so I have no experience, but I will join.
My skill is unacceptable for concept arts, but I will join.

Why? Because I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.