• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #5 - Poll

Vote for your favourite entry!

• Jaret (Zeus) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1753434-post419.html[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • kola (Cyclops) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1753181-post418.html[/url]

• Krl70 (Dwarf) - [url]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1754530-post464.html[/url]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Well, yup, but it is not only concept, it is also ART. I know that the basic concept is important, I was trying to tell that If you have to do your picture in a few hours, you draw the first (normal) thing that gets into your mind.

I thin that a kraken is more original than a minotaur or a centaur, anyway.

Level 25
You guys need to stop dramatize this. The theme of this contest has been a bit diffuse and somewhat confusing.

First of, Debode, you got your points, and I would be offended as well if someone said I didn't take my time with my concept if I actually spend a lot of time on it.
But Mr.Goblin is right in the fact that many of the submissions aren't even close to what concept art should look like, man, even my own submission isn't that good concept art.

Mr.Goblin, you got your points as well. This is a concept art contest, and the submissions should be very original and in most cases better structured (show the creature from different angles and such). But to be honest, (barely) none of the submissions are real concept art. So you have to overlook it. Since you are seeing this way to professional. You are the most right (I give you that), but this is The Hive Workshop, not some awesome concept art site. So your criterias can't be fulfilled. (Not in this contest at least)

The looks and quality of the artwork is very important in this contest, since the users get to vote, and they will only vote for which submissions is looking most appealing, (that actually pisses me off, since this is about the concept, not the artwork. Proper judges, like Mr.Goblin, should have just judged this, since the community purges the purpose of a contest like this) and this is what Debode sees and tries to say to you Mr.goblin. Both of you guys are actually saying the same things, just in different and confusing ways.

I would recommend Mr.Goblin to create a concept art competition, a proper one, since this is more or less just a contest about who has done the art with most quality in it, and the concept theme dissapears more or less.
I would for sure join it as well.

In conclusion, this was a quite bad structured contest. With a very diffuse theme.
But I hope the judges judge as they should, based on the concept and not on the art so much.
If they do, this contest might be successful.

And no matter what, if people's submissions are bad art or bad concept, most of them did probably have fun. And that is what is most important, isn't it? :)

Level 48
that have been 100% tought by the artist

That's what I mean. :p I want the whole creature; the whole concept to be thought out by the artist, not by Mother Nature and then mixed up by the artist. Anyways, I think we both have the same idea in our minds, and that is, that people SHOULD be more original than just 'Centaur', 'Kraken', 'Minotaur' etc. But I'm just saying you shouldn't really insult people because you think their concept is unoriginal, imagine someone would say your Leviathan is unoriginal because it's a mix of a whale and a crocodile or something like that. That wouldn't be very nice now would it?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I don't know about that, Debode, if it was, in fact, just a mix of a whale and a crocodile, and you said it was unoriginal because of that, I would take that as constructive criticism - if it was my artwork, I can't speak for Mr.Goblin - and if I had time, I'd try to change it so that it would be less obvious. Either way, a whale and a crocodile together is still original, because there is nothing like it (afaik). Originality isn't a matter of yes or no, it's a scale, and the way I see it, there is no maximum, only a minimum. The minimum being an exact replica of something that has already been done.

Either way, I have to concur with Mr.Goblin's statement; there are few concepts here that are adequately original. For instance, drawing Zeus in the shape of a regular human and some armour, is no more original than drawing any warrior (no offence intended). If this contest was about designing armour, then perhaps it would be original, but the way I see it, this was all about taking a mythological story about a creature or a location, and make an original concept out of it - breath some new life into ancient legends. I do realize that it didn't state that, black on white, in the theme description, and that people might've misunderstood (or I've misunderstood the theme I suggested myself.. well, I didn't clarify that when I suggested it, because I thought it'd be obvious, so I'll take the blame for that) and thought it was all about drawing something cool and mythological, and that's what most of the voters will consider when they vote, anyway. That would not be a concept art contest, though, because you're just drawing something that already has a concept. You're not bringing something new to the table. I'm sorry if that comes off as harsh criticism to some of you, but I really feel it has to be said.

Some of us have reinvented, and some of us only recreated. I wish we all would've reinvented, because that's what concept art is, and it's a lot more interesting. Either way, I still wish everybody good luck, and I look forward to hear the judging. I'm going to vote for Pyramidhe@d, because he's getting too few votes and I like his concept a lot. I'd like to add an honourable mention to Mr.Goblin and Kimberly as well, those are excellent concepts, Pyramidhe@d just pulled the longest straw in my opinion.

I belive everything have been settled, and I have to say, I'm sorry for those who felt insulted. That wasn't my entention, but I belive it came out anyway, even tought I didn't ment too. ( Just like when you say to a girl she's pretty, and she's pissed at you because she thinks she doesn't look pretty the other days)

Anyway... thanks all for joining in our friendly debade about ''concept art'' <3
and to conclude on that...

Either way, a whale and a crocodile together is still original, because there is nothing like it (afaik).

Nothing... like it? Ohhh really :D
Leviathan_by_LDN_RDNT.jpg

Level 7
lol Well, you guys are right, now I know how important is the concept for some people.
But there is still a problem... it isn't very easy to create an original concept which is also related with mythology. If you want to create a mythologycal creature, you have to use other people's concepts, too (even if they lived 1000 years ago). If you only use your imagination, what's mythology in it?
Anyway, I hope that everything you (Mr.Goblin) said was constructive criticism.

Awesome work guys! Like to see all creative takes on one subject matter.

I like Pyramidhe@d's Will o' Wisp! Cool concept and nice render, Haven't seen anything like it before Anywhere.

Then 67chrome's (Cerberu), Mr.Goblin's (Leviathan)

Then Dionesiist's (Chiron), Kimberly's (Chimera) all well done.

LOLZ, Im so happy that Im not one of the judges on this contest this time! It was too difficult to pick 1st, 2nd, 3td places last time because everybody did a good job, This contest even harder to choose.
Good luck artists, and judges!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

So, any progress on judging this? :v

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Long judging is long. I guess they have their reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.