• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Don't give up! Just think of something and draw it...

Hmm... Perhaps a dwarf from norse mythology, there is a song in my country about dwarfs carving in the mountains, would sound something like this on english:

Hey-ho-oh-oh, Hey-ho-oh-oh, Hey-ho-oh-oh, Hey-ho-oh-oh
We are mining in the mountains, we are smashing every rock.
We are carving trough veins of gold, that mother mountain's got.
We chop, and we crush, and we are never gonn'a know, that our mother's brother Age of life, is closing in on us.

hmm... didn't sound to bad on english in my opinion.

Perhaps a useable concept?

Level 7
worked on the face a bit today, realised it looked like a rat so i'll redraw the face itself, but the horns is a keeper me thinks :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• chimaira.jpg
    chimaira.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 509
Level 18
Doesn't 75% of it have to be visible?

Since this contest also allows terrains that rule couldn't apply to everything (although all submissions I've seen so far are creatures). I do think it would be good to keep that rule in mind for character designs though even if it isn't listed.

I'm not a judge in this, but I'm quite sure showing enough of the creature will raise chances of winning.

Level 10
(...)I'm not a judge in this, but I'm quite sure showing enough of the creature will raise chances of winning.

indeed.

I did start a drawing, here is some WIP's, i just hope i got enough time to keep this going...

ConceptArt# Mythology-DwarfWIP1 640x640.jpg

ConceptArt# Mythology-Dwarf 640x640.jpg

ConceptArt# Mythology-DwarfWIP2.jpg

Right now, my priority is BG, any suggestions, like zooming in on the dwarf or anything? I'm probably going to fail anyways... atleast at voting, who would want to vote for a fat dwarf, that needs to hold the mountainside to be able to stand up...

Level 5
Maybe I'll try to creaty an entry, I can draw reasonably if you ask me, i'll try to make something worth judging

first WIP/sketch

Soulkeeper

These creatures were sent by Hades to the World to hunt the souls who escaped Hell. Spartan soldiers often encountered these monsters and tried to capture them, most of the time this failed, but if they catched one they were sent to Sparta to fight in an Arena against deserting soldiers and slaves

197613-albums3979-picture37299.png

Last edited:
Level 13
Mr.Goblin pwned Concept Art Contest #5 - Mythology's head for 250 gold!!!
Mr.Goblin just drew first blood!!!

Level 23
Level 5
There is a quality difference between the upper part and the downside.
While the upper part looks anatomically correct, the legs are to undefined and to short compared to the upper body. I suggest you to enlarge the legs.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa68/KaySan_Kitty/Proportionen-1.jpg

Sorry, i don't see depth, i know that is no excuse, but i didn't see that when i scanned the picture... but i think i solved it, at least a bit

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/197613-albums3979-picture37380.html

Level 25
Just to clarify my submission. This is my final and finished one.

The daughter of the emperor in japan was murdered in her sleep. Her spirit was not satisfied without revenge on her murderers. Now her ghost roams the forests and lands, ressurecting fallen warriors and devilious spirits to aid her in her quest for vengeance.

91389d1287656431-concept-art-contest-5-mythology-yurei2.png

91388d1287656330-concept-art-contest-5-mythology-yurei.png

And good luck to all contestants. Lots of nice WIPs and submissions here :)

My final Submission.

The Naga Loch Ness Monster:

A.K.A: GhosT's Abyss-Serpent
Biological Information:
The Abyss-Serpent (draconis abyssimus, roughly translated to Dragon of the Abyss) is a modern marvel of evolution. Scientists have recently captured a layer of its skin whilst it shed it. With top analysists examining the DNA, it was determined that 'Nessie' belonged into a hybrid class of Reptile and Amphibian. It is believed to be 15m long, and its circumference an average of 8m. Its wingspan stretches to an amazing 12m.
Its physical features include a blue body of an eel, caressed with hard scales of the same colour made of a bone-like substance, an underbelly made of a material similar to crocodile skin, webbed appendages and fins to allow fast underwater navigation, and a strange pair of webbed wings, similar to that of a pterodactyl. His teeth resemble a shark's, as study has concluded that they do regenerate, his eye is most similar to a water dragon, it can blink, but it also has a thin layer of membrane and a reptilian pupil.
Its bone structure is similar to a sea snake's, with the exception of the wings, which are more bird-like in nature. It likes to dwell in the deepest parts of Lake Ness, its hardened scales allow it to withstand pressure from up to 500m below sea level. It feeds on large fish, including sharks and octopi. Every 100 years, it must shed its skin.
The Abyss-Serpent seems to have functional gills inside his nose, and a small pair of lungs near his chest cavity, allowing it to breathe above and below water. The only mystery is why it needs wings. Some theorize that it evolved from pterodactyls and adpated to sea water once the meteor hit earth. Others theorize that it evolved from eels and adapted to flying once the meteor hit earth. Whatever it is, no one will ever know, as it has never been seen leaving the waters of Loch Ness.

Backstory: As the Sundering was occuring, a large Blue Dragon was sucked into the Maelstrom by accident. As Azshara wanted its service, it asked the Old God to also mutate the Blue Dragon to allow it to survive underwater, turning it into some strange thingymabob. Unfortunately, the magical pull of the Maelstrom was so strong, it sucked in the bloody serpent, and spat it out in a lake in... er...Scotland. One day, a local fisherman was, um, fishing, when it saw the tail of the leviathan. He went to all his friends, telling them about the monster in Lake Ness. However, a twisted turn of events...his stupid accent caused all the townsfolk to call the beast the 'Loch Ness' Monster. Ever since, this half-Naga, half-blue Dragon, half-stupid idea of GhostThruster has been dwelling in the depths of 'Loch' Ness. Oh, and it looks like Gyarados.

The Final Version:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Naga Loch Ness.jpg
    Naga Loch Ness.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 1,271
Level 9
@Hunalexnl: Nice, but I'm a little curious about it's judging... I mean, drawing Horus isn't that unique... Still good. Nice speed drawing. Btw make a profile picture, the one you have now is... well, there's no.

Yea, I know... And it lacks detail as well. Let's call it a warm-up picture. I'll make a different one, just gotta figure out what it should be.

Level 5
During the fact that i royally suck at coloring pictures:

Name: Custos Animarum (Keeper of Souls)

Proportions:
- Length between 2,8m and 3.2m
- Weight around 300kg

Story: These vicious creatures appear to be extremely muscular but still they are very agile, if you take a closer look, you'll see that they don't have eyes, instead they have the living flame of Hell burning in their eyesockets. These creatures were sent by Hades to hunt down the few souls who escaped the Underworld. In the Human World they were often encountered by soldiers who tried to capture them, what regularly resulted in the deaths of the soldiers.
When succesfully captured by soldiers, they were sent to arena's to fight slaves and deserting soldiers. One of these creatures was encounteres by the legendary hero Spartacus and this was the very first, and the only time one of these creatures got killed.

Image:

Level 25
Yup... we are all pwnt, it's between Mr.Goblin and hunale... hunta... hunetaxle... hunalexnl...

I personally hate this kind of talk. People who aren't as good or experienced in creating art feel bad and like they stand no chance. And the good artists (in this case in what you state in your comment Mr.Goblin and hunalexnl (not even god knows who he spells it) don't want to hear talk like that. (I think, I wouldn't have wanted comments like that if I were the awesome artist at least). This competition isn't even about the expertise of the art (as I see it) it is about the concept and the composition of the image as whole. Stop trashtalking yourself and believe in yourself instead. If you aren't content with your own works then you shouldn't be in competitions or show off your creations.

Level 13
Yup... we are all pwnt, it's between Mr.Goblin and hunale... hunta... hunetaxle... hunalexnl...

Actually I think everyone is doing really well. Mr.Goblin might have first blood; but everyone still has a pretty good chance, so don't give up yet ;)

Level 10
Ok, Krl70, you've got a syndrom i call "digiovatraditicitis".
Well, that means you dislike traditional art, and prefer digital one.
lol, jk ;)

lol
so what is your diagnosis Doc?

no, seriously i love drawing with a pencil, and that was my first idea, but i realised i have no way to get it into the computer.

I personally hate this kind of talk. People who aren't as good or experienced in creating art feel bad and like they stand no chance. And the good artists (in this case in what you state in your comment Mr.Goblin and hunalexnl (not even god knows who he spells it) don't want to hear talk like that. (I think, I wouldn't have wanted comments like that if I were the awesome artist at least). This competition isn't even about the expertise of the art (as I see it) it is about the concept and the composition of the image as whole. Stop trashtalking yourself and believe in yourself instead. If you aren't content with your own works then you shouldn't be in competitions or show off your creations.

Oh, i do believe in myself, and i believe that it is better to try and fail (as long as it doesn't make too much trouble for everyone else), than not try, and might have succeded. But if you knew me peronally, which you obviously don't for obvious reasons, it's my way of saying "Great Work".
Tho, i did not realise that noone of you know me personally... Anyway, count it as "trashtalk" if that's the way it applies to you. And if, then i appogise, and say it as such: Great work Mr.Goblin and hunalexnl.

@GhostThruster:
Your concept is nice, a little blurry, but that really doesn't matter too much, it's neat graphics anyways, but if it is under water, why does smoke leave the mouth?

P.S: example of my "trashtalk" = "I wish i were uber enough to do this"

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Looking sweet, Chrome.

I guess I better wrap up my concept soon as well.

Level 13
@67chrome, it looks just epic, definitly the best Cerberous drawing I've ever seen.

@GhostThruster, your final submission is great; my favorite part is the scales, I love the way you did your shading and lighting, it makes the scales look very realistic.

Level 13
Yeah everyone has been making some pretty awesome stuff, so good job to all.

Does anyone know how many days before the contest ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.