• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] Cinematic Mini-Contest #1 Poll

Which is your favourite Cinematic? (Remember to read the rules before voting!)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I watched all the cinematics and I voted for Waldbaer's "The Premonition". I won't give a Top 10 of all the maps, because this would be difficult to decide.
Most cinematics should have a Skip function and a own preview image. And the scorescreen should be disabled after the cinematic.
But these are the things I (didn't) like(d):

Deserted Revenge
+ Good terrain at Archmage
- But nearly no terrain in desert
+ Good special effects
- No effects on the doodads, the rocks could be destroyed if they are touched by a spell wave
- Every time I watched there was a different starting melody. You should define one.

Shoot the Naga
- No identical name in loading screen and in map description
- Good camera use, although it often didn't move.
+ Good music
+ Good special effects
+ I thought the dwarf would win so the own "sad" music at the end is quite good.

Haunted Goldmine
- No moving cameras
- I didn't like the custom sounds.
- Earth and sand textures in front of gold mine are not so good
- There's no terrain behind gold mine hill
- There's no terrain at the trees

Tainted Trial
+ Good loading text
- Too fast cameras at the beginning
+ Very good use of Special effects
- Too many imported models
+ Good music

OrcED
- No camera movement
+ Good terrain and doodads
- No end

End of the Curse
- Too loud music
+ Good use of special effects

The Escape
- No special effects
- Too dark

The Premonition
+ Good Terrain
+ Good Music
+ Falling rocks scene is good
- I thought the warrior would be killed because the wayfarer said it is dangerous.

Winter's Veil
+ Good special effects
+ Good sounds
- But no music
+ Good loading screen
- Not many doodads
- Too many imported models

The clone
- There is no sky
- There is no music

Awesome Robbery
- The loadingm screen is black
+ Good music
+ Good special effects

Short Cinematic
- No story
- There are not so many doodads
+ A good idea

Last edited:
Level 19
If you turn the music on there is music in my map duh! And I didn't feel like spamming the area with doodads, I thought it would look cooler this way. Besides I think there is nothing wrong with imported models.

Level 2
You're right, there is music, but the music is quiet. It could be a little bit louder.

Of course it is good to have imported models, but they increase the map size and I think it is unfair for the others, because you didn't do the models, they were created by other people (I know that it was allowed to use models for the contest).

About the doodads: The bridge is only white. If you'd change the texture of it, it would look better.

And I don't want to say that your map is not good. They all (or most of them) are very good. I just wanted to give you a hint to make it better. It's my opinion and your decision to think if the hint is good.

Level 12
Level 11
I dissagre, it doesn't matter if he didn't do the models and I think it's fair to others. It is allowed, which means that it was the author's choice not to use models. But that's my opinion. Oh and the bridge has textures for me.

Level 10
Hm, I don't know if using many custom models is unfair or not. If it's stated to be allowed, then it's allowed, but I personally think it makes the things just much more difficult to compare, because there are different ressources. That's not negative though, but I think it's not good for a contest because of the judging problem, but that's the Bob's problem at last! :grin:

@ghostus: Thanks for your vote and for the detailed comments!

@Jaako and others who play cinematic music as music: You see, there is another problem. As preset in Warcraft, the music is set to a much lower volume value than the sounds. It's not possible to get it louder than this user set limit as far as I know and then you get problems adjusting the volume balance. If you play the music as sounds, too, the user can use any setting he wants - if he has the sound turned on, he gets your complete mix.

Level 10
I have to thank for your lordliness! *bowing* :wink:

About the beginning... hm, I wanted to put some story into it and did not want to write everything on the loading screen (well, this is a cinematic and not a loading screen show, isn't it?). Just wanted to have some seconds of nothing to build up suspense and have a contrast to the fight. Although I'm not sure anymore if this was the right decision for a 1-minute cinematic... anyways probably I'd do it the same way again. I don't like cinematics with action where you don't know anything about the characters who are fighting; with the beginning, you should at least know a little.

Last edited:
Level 10
I don't want to say anything against this, but it's good that people's opinions are always different. That makes things much more interesting! :wink:
And my cinematic is not the only one that would deserve a prize if you watch it seperately from the contest, that's the best. :thumbs_up:

Ehm...you made your first post just to vote for him?

He isn't the only one to do so (example). Also some of the people that voted have 0 posts and one of them even created his account one day after the poll was created.

Either newcomers are very interested in voting or then some people want some extra votes...

Level 10
You just need to get a slower computer... :grin:
Anyways, if you don't need 10000 farZ, you should always take it down as much as possible, PurgeandFire is right concerning this. Smaller than 5000 is not necessary, but 10000 really should only be chosen if there is no other way, since it needs a MUCH faster computer to be displayed fluently (the war3engine is just not optimized to display such big areas).

Status
Not open for further replies.