• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Cinematic Contest #8 - The Great Adventure [DEAD]

Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_cinematic-png.323626
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
8-png.311481

CC8_tab.png

Venture towards the distant horizon! The theme for this cinematic contest is adventure. Contestants are to create a cinematic (between 3 and 15 minutes) which depicts an adventurous story. This could be a cinematic about unexpected journeys with twists and turns, or something else - something which you relate to the adventure theme. Be wild with your undertaking and make something great!

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • You must show at least one instance of progress, for example a screenshot, a video or part of the cinematic map.
  • Your submission may not be started before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges are not allowed to participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed - you have to work on your own as well.
  • Your cinematic has to be between 3 and 15 minutes in length (The entry length will not decide the winner).
  • Custom material is allowed, but has to be credited (see judging criteria).
  • Your map must be posted before the end of the deadline.
  • The is no restriction to the file's size.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 60 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 45 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 30 reputation points
  • Entry: 8 reputation points
  • Judge: 10 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.
other_judges-png.311510

• Anitarf
  • iNfraNe

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Story

• Pacing: Are there any narrative strategies used to unveil the time and place of the story? Do certain parts feel too rushed?
  • Dialogues (if not explicitly excluded from the contest's theme): How well are the dialogues structured? Are they too generic or do they consistently reveal parts of the story?
    • Language Manipulation: How is the language being handled? Are there any phrases or words used to denote or emphasize parts of the story or the characters' background? Does it help someone get into the spirit of the story even more?
  • Plot: How intriguing is the plot? Does it truly follow the contest's theme? How is the ending compared to the rest of the cinematic (e.g. too rushed)?
/40

Terrain

• Concept: Does the terrain follow the story's charm?
    • Execution: How well it is executed; is the placement of doodads/units too monotonous or is there abundance of techniques used? How wise was the doodads'/ destructables' selection? How does the ground look (flat/generic/lacking variety of tilesets/ monotonous)?
    • Attractiveness: Overall, how attractive the terrain is (further analyses of detailing and attempts to make it atmospheric for either an interior or a landscape should be included here).

/20

Audio & Visuals

• Visuals Control: How are the visuals controlled (creation, realistic placement, grammatical and typographical accuracy (if there is any text), visibility throughout the camera's field, introduction to innovative visual effects (effects like slow motion)); models: fluid animation and timing of animation, realistic speed as scaling of models increases, ability to enhance the atmosphere of the cinematic scenes); efficiency of special effects' selection; visual consistency (a bullet in the water would cause a water splash, whereas if it landed on the ground it would cause emission of dirt particles).
  • Lighting: Despite the weaknesses of the engine, {how is the lighting presented? Is it featured at all? Are there any transitions between lighting? Is there any lighting involved during special effects?} Does it complement the scenes? Environment-wise, is the lighting realistically placed e.g. cave vs. an outlandish city)? How are various sources of light established?
  • Music: How is the transition between different tracks introduced? Are they following the motion and emotions of the story? Do they fade in/out too abruptly? Does the track tally with the scene?
  • Sound Effects: Is there any coordination between the visual (cameras, screen effects, special effects) and sound effects? Are they played realistically, in terms of 2D/3D? How well do they blend with the music (if any)?
    • Persistence to detail: Background objects, environment, sounds nearby.
      (Imagine you want to create a forest scene; visualize yourself in a forest and close your eyes. What would you hear?)
  • Voice Acting (if any): How good is the voice acting? Is it clear enough or does it get replaced with the music and/or sound effects? Does it incorporate the respective temperament of each character?

/20

Camera & Technical Competence

• Camera Control: How is the camera controlled? Is it following the tension of the story, the music and potentially the sound effects? (The transition is of major importance, the ability to convey a message even through the camera's flow.) Is the panning too fast, too slow or optimal? Could it be avoided in certain scenes and be replaced by instant camera switching (and why)?
  • Camera Effects: Are there any camera effects introduced? This criterion includes fade in/out, screen splatters, camera shaking effects. Do they aesthetically contribute to the presentation of the story? How elegantly the fade in/out effects are taking place; what their duration is (determines emotion and action) and how it conflicts or enhances the visual output; what their frequency is and what their role is (are they working as fillers to the duration of the cinematic or do they preserve a functional role?).
  • Scenes Acquisition: From which points are the scenes taken (examples: beginning of the scene, dialogue, landscapes, action, first person, close-ups, etc.)? Do they dictate a limited camera selection or do they offer a wide and creative array of purposeful camera perspectives? Are they intelligently picked or do they expose the terrain's (and/or models') flaws and/or inconsistencies?

/20

/100

Judgement: 80%
Poll: 20%

FinalScore = (20*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (80*JudgeScore/100)
other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 19th August 2019 and conclude on 28th September 2019 GMT (day is included).

Last edited:
hmmm... seems more doable than terraining contest.
Just one question. Are we allowed to use template maps?

I will permit it as long as you've done something to the map. That means that an unmodified terrain template won't be scored.

Of course, using a template instead of making your own terrain will make the judging subtract some points from your overall entry.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
So I've spent a few hours just trying to get a spark in terms of what exactly I wanna do.

I have a loose theme/setting but the ending is still up in the air, I am trying the GRRM approach and see where my characters lead me. Could b(l)ackfire heavily.
I have also done a bit of terrain but it is not in a state that I want to show. Hopefully I have a terrain wip by tomorrow.

Level 11
I've never made a cinematic before but I've been meaning to sit down and try my luck at it. I've always wanted to lose to Ungoliath. Though as always I'm about to move again and hella busy. But I am, amazingly, pretty free today so maybe I'll start and make some headway on it.... I have no pretense that I'd make anything in time but maybe I can submit things retroactively à la Arowanna. How DOES anybody find the time and energy to do these contests anyhow? Ooh... wait, I know, maybe I'll take my friend's ADD medication .~. jk kids, drugs are bad, dont drink or you may end up wasting life on teh hive

Also, just curious, how do people here structure their workflow? Storyboard? I find that my inspiration comes incrementally in different days- but I don't know whether to nail it down and get everything to come together or just work on my half baked ideas ...

Level 19
I write down my ideas on a piece of paper. Then I try to describe each idea within one sentence to get the general sense. Then I choose the one I feel that I can connect with the most.

The second step is to write out a more detailed script separated into scenes. I try to get most of it on paper but not write everything. So, now I can start gathering resources for the script I have in hand. You might have to change the script sometimes since you might not be able to find each and every resource you'll need.

Lastly, work on your cameras, sound effects, animations, dialogues, etc...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I see no reason to close a contest due to lack of time and start another going through all the trouble again. Just push it till it bleeds.
Either that or create another time frame for it in the following months.

Last edited:
Level 11
I agree with Deep, a month is no time at all for a cinematic esp when people likely have little time to spare for a hobby such as this anyway. But I'd be interested in challenging Ungoliath and/or anyone else interested in a less time-restricted setting (say... By the end of the year? Or whenever they get done? Haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.