• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #4 – Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
the%20hive%20workshop.png

1234047002Og4jbp.jpg

cinematic.png
contest.png
number.png
4.png

results.png

Behold the reviews and results for the Cinematic Contest #4:

Judge reviews

"Darkness Within", by Hemlock
bounty hunter2:
First of all the map is well packed, loading screen and preview image is custom, however the nodescription below the preview could be changed to nothing or atleast some text.

Starts of well, nice camera movement, and the voice acting was really good. However the map edge was visible when the four sorceresses were shown.

I wasn't really impressed by the terrain in general, but the biggest terrain disappointment was the city. I expected something more epic, but it was rather average. The variation of the textures was bad, especially in the city. I also disliked the too much symmetry in the city, although cities should be like that, this one seemed a bit too boring.

I noticed a couple of typos, such as capital letter where they weren't needed, missing punctuations, you should always use three dots ..., you spammed them a couple of times in this manner: "Insert text here......more text here."

The effects were nice, not something over the top thou, well balanced. As I mentioned before the camera movement was quite good through the entire cinematic.

The story, was well, nothing much. That's a problem, and when there isn't a good story, it is usually to be compensated with epic effects and such, however the effects here were "just" nice.

In overall, the rating is 6/10, the cinematic is well developed, but it is just missing something, to distinct it.

Rui:
In "Darkness Within", by Hemlock, we are told the story of a people who are, at first, prosper. When a shadow begins taking form, however, the kingdom becomes menaced by something not even the strongest are able to oppose against. Until one without fear challenges this threat.
What I found interesting on this competition was that one cinematic complemented the others' weaknesses. While "The Clown of As'Latur" has story as its strong point, "Darkness Within" has less story and more action.
While the action and special effects are the favourite part of a movie for most people, I find that they do not compensate for the lack of good lore. Hemlock's cinematic has a good ambient, camera usage and (within Warcraft III's limits, as always) action. However, not only was the story simplistic but the terrain was also lacking. The city somehow doesn't convince me. Careful with the dialogs and sounds next time, too.

Rating: 3/5.

"The Clown of As'Latur", by CMarket
bounty hunter2:
Well packed, loading screen and the preview image are fitting and custom.

The terrain is well done, noticing the fact from the start. The scenery around the house, and the house model, well chosen. The interiors were also great, I can't complain on them at all. What I must complain on is the part around the lake, the market, it was to tampered with by humans, the fence around the lake? What is that for? The pavement below the market? Dirt is more realistic.

Now to the story, which is the main part of this cinematic. The story is well hard to follow, even after a second watch. The idea of a person buying an house that is cheap but great because people think it's cursed has been used too many times, even Simpsons did it. However the clown is a nice addition to the story. It starts of great, and then it starts to confuse, but the story is mostly understandable in the end. The voice acting was good, helps the story a lot.

The camera movements was decent, I can't complain on it, nor can I praise it.

The effects? There weren't any special effects, however there were some great scenes, when the man was looking through the doors, when he saw himself hanged, those were some great "effects" and scenes.

Overall? 6/10. Good terrain, decent story, but it becomes confusing at a point, a bit boring if I may add and hard to follow.

Rui:
On "The Clown of As'Latur", we are told the story that happens on the world of Kaliim, which we recognise from the The Cult of the Holy Mother and The Lone Panther. CMarket tells us, through Borigard Smith (father of Logan Smith, a character we'll soon be seeing on The Lone Panther), the tale of the Nefa family; more concretely, that of Gomez Nefa.
All in all, the quality of this piece is close to that which CMarket has got us accustomed to on his cinematic series. The terrain and scenarios are decent in spite of a few unreal landscape details, such as the Nefa's house inner and outer dimensions.
The main difference we'll find here, however, concerns the way the story is told. You are not able to catch up with what's going on as easily as you would on the author's other works – the lore is denser and there is a part which appeals to one's intuition. This forces you to watch the cinematic more than once – the creator was well aware of that both when he planned out the plot and when he finished his submission for this Cinematic Contest.
My opinion is that small details matter on a movie but Warcraft III's resources are limited, both on the triggering and other artistic necessities (model animating, for example). Having that in mind and considering it is the first time I've seen anyone attempt such an approach, "The Clown of As'Latur" does well for a Warcraft III cinematic, but the doubt remains regarding whether or not this story density works.

Rating: 3,5/5.

Results

Jury's ratings to percentage for:
"Darkness Within": ( (3,0*100/5 + 3,0*100/5) / 2 ) / 2 = 30%
"The Clown of As'Latur": ( (3,0*100/5 + 3,5*100/5) / 2 ) / 2 = 32,5%

Submission \ RatingPublic VoteJury's VoteTotalRelative rating

"Darkness Within"
28,05%30%58,05%51,6%
trophy01.gif

"The Clown of As'Latur"
21,95%32,5%54,45%48,4%

cinematic%204%20winners.png

Other
Here are other threads regarding this competition you may consult:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 18
Congratulations to all of the contestants! :D
I would have bothered to congratulate all of you 1-by-1, but I don't have that much time, sorry.
I feel sorry for CMarket being last one. :<

Wish I participated. xD

Level 14
Ah, well. C'est la vie. I'm not really that disappointed in the fact that I lost, just the fact that Warnicro picked a time for a come-back exactly when I decided to participate in a contest. Still, at least I got some motivation to make what I did and possibly break the ice in a new field of warcraft 3 cinematics.

Anyway, congratulations Hemlock. Competing with you was an honor in and of itself.

P.S. My prediction came true :)

Last edited:
Level 18
i agree alot with C market. Both of you have created a new generation of cinematic making. C Market and his series have probably inspired a whole slew of people ( including mysel ) to go out and make their own cinematic series. Although i do not know Hemlock ( warnico ? ) i have see n his submissions here on the Hive and i say that they are very impressive when it comes to fighting etc.

Even if this cinematic contest had 2 contestents, It was the most succesful one yet. Both of them were unbeliavble. i loved it, and i wish i would have participated but inspiration to do so failed me.

Btw. What are the prizes for each ?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
No offense, but when a contest doesn't even have 3 entries it's not even a challenge to win. This is a bit ridiculous.
I hope the future contest hosts (be it Cinematic or not) actually consider this and looking at previous editions for reference.

LMAO, not even 3 entries? Rofl... This isn't a contest.
My response to WILL.

[...] C Market and his series have probably inspired a whole slew of people ( including mysel ) to go out and make their own cinematic series.
[...]
Btw. What are the prizes for each ?
I agree. CMarket's series were certainly an inspiration.

As for the prizes, Hemlock will most likely receive an icon. Both competitors will receive reputation as well.

If I submitted an empty map with a few cinematic triggers, would I've passed and would I've ended up third?
No, hardly.
First, you'd be breaking rule no.2 because if your map has only «a few triggers», it is incomplete. Plus, we have a minimum quality standard. You would also break rule no.3: the «few cinematic triggers» have to match the theme.
Assuming, of course, you follow all the other Map Submission Rules and Contest Rules.

There was a cinematic contest? Why didn't anyone tell me that ah man......
lol Devine y i guess you would have been third XD Maybe the new announcement feature should tell us about contests, that have not started yet!
We assume people actually look into here if they're interested. Fortunately, we have the announcements system in use now.

I'd like to tell the first, second and fourth gentlemen I quoted that we already know your opinion about the Hive's contests – your feedback on that regard is dispensable.
Furthermore, those who participated do not have to be penalized because other people fail to submit anything or because of deficient contest management skills.

We assume people actually look into here if they're interested. Fortunately, we have the announcements system in use now.

I'd like to tell the first, second and fourth gentlemen I quoted that we already know your opinion about the Hive's contests – your feedback on that regard is dispensable.
Furthermore, those who participated do not have to be penalized because other people fail to submit anything or because of deficient contest management skills.
Well i'll be in the next one for sure, only if you use the new ann. feature XD

Status
Not open for further replies.