• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #4 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

short%20story.png
contest.png
number.png
4.png

results.png

Great War Stories

There is no real theme, it can be someone telling the story, or the story of the war itself.

contest%20judging.png

Breeze - The World Is Flat :

Plot : 8.5
Characters : 8
Structure : 8
Flow : 7
Theme : 8

Critiques:
Well overall I must say that I was shocked when I was finished reading your story, the characters, all the "expressions" you used, the story itself was pretty original, however you used too many expressions and it's really hard to understand the cloud's sentences. Well there are almost no negative points, except that the flow was a little weird, when it suddenly jumped from a story to another. However I think it is ok that way. And another thing, is the scene with the foxes was kinda too short, it was mostly about the cloud and the breeze, only in the end they came into the story for a moment.
I don't think the war had started yet, so that reduces the rating a little.
All i can say to this story is that it's ground breaking and terrific. People can clearly see that you've put a lot effort into this.

Rating : 39.5/50

Just Like Old Times - Grey Nightmare :

Plot : 8
Characters : 8
Theme : 7

Critiques:
Some words are missing, for example "in the middle of temple", which should be "in the middle of the temple". Also, at some points, you should place a ",", here for example : "chuckled Brutus his abnormally flat face splitting into a wide grin.". There were also some awkard sentences for example "all I’ll be shaving that pretty head o’ yours” grumbled Brutus." Shouldn't it be "or I'll be shaving that pretty..."?
There are several typos which bother me, sometimes you forgot to place a "'", sometimes a ",",...
There are also some things which don't sound orcish, for example, an orc tells another orc to get a haircut????
The orcs don't talk like, well lets say "idiots", sometimes they talk just like Humans.
The Story is, in my opinion "original" in some way, I haven't read something like this before, yet it might be boring for some readers, maybe because of your sense of humor. But it was pretty entertaining to me, so good job.
Another thing that I liked are the characters, with all their personalities and funny things about them. One of the "good" stories I've read so far, it's something that should be read.

Also: "Yummy, yummy I got love in mah tummy and I fee li- wha?" ????????????? lol

Other Things:
Your = Your Pants
You're = You are
were = They were doing...
We're = We are
to = to do
too = too many

Rating : 38/50

The Battle of Stirling - Lightskin :

Plot : 5
Characters : 5
Structure : 5
Flow : 5
Theme : 4

Critiques :

So lets start with "fighting was losing it's sense." "it's" stands for "it is" and "its" stands for "its shoes are ugly". This is always annoying to read.
Other things like " "So you are telling me to retreat is not to fear" should be actually " "So you're telling me that retreat is not fear".
But that's enough of typos, lets look at this sentence "rape our women", I mean like what... this doesn't fit in the sentence, really... It just doesn't sound good, I don't think any one would write "rape" in a normal book.
Now the story itself was pretty short and not interesting at all. It was just about a battle between England and Scotland, and you didn't mention why they were fighting etc.
In the beginning. the scottish commanders tried to cheer up the soldiers and then they went to fight. Also you didn't use a lot of expressions.
The thing that was really missing was a real story, you just wrote about a battle and then it was finished.
I must say this story was rather "too short" and not very original or interesting. I hope you will be improving yourself next time.

Rating : 24/50

lateris - The Endless War

Plot : 6
Characters : 6
Structure : 4
Flow : 3
Theme : 6

Critiques :
Well, first of all, you really need to review your story again, before submitting it. You have said it yourself, "P.S. I didnt have enough time to fix mistakes.", this just ruined the whole story, you just don't want to read it with all the mistakes. That's one major flaw, which some how also ruins the flow.
You suddenly jump from genlin's world to the dream and sometimes you get confused when you're reading it, because you don't know if this is still the vision or not.
The characters were described like "the captain has white eyes, long hair" etc., however you don't go to know that much of their personalities.
The story is a little original and actually attracts the reader to read it till the end. No questioning that.
It is an interesting story and I kinda like the intro, how you describe the battlefield etc.
Well I guess it's an interesting story, yet the flow and the structure need to improved. I recommend you review your story again next time.

Rating : 25/50

Tharkas - The Clockbreaker

Plot : 4
Characters : 5
Structure : 4
Flow : 6
Theme : 4

Critiques :
Well this isn't really a "war" story, since there are just 2 characters and no fights at all, however I don't think you should be disqualified because of that. I can clearly see that you've put a lot of effort into this. There are however a lot of things which are a bit negative: First of all, there are a lot of typos and it's a bit too short, I think it's the shortest story actually.
Now, the story is a bit interesting, however it's just too short and you could have represented more characters in the story and at least written a longer conversation between the 2 characters.
You have used some expressions, which increase your rating. Now the story is original, in its own way, but nothing that would really attract everyone. You suddenly lose the motivation to read it.
You could've also described the characters a little bit more.
Finally, I think this story is at least better than some of the other stories, but the major flaw is that the story is just too short, thus there's not much to read and actually to judge, so there's a lot of side story missing.

Rating : 23/50

The Danish - Who Art from Heaven

Plot : 7
Characters : 7
Theme : 6

Critiques :
First of all, I have to admit that your story is magnificent, with all the expressions and the way you described the "battle". Everything is excellent and there are almost no negative points for this story.
However, one thing that was missing, was a better side story, we only got to know about oscus' job and how he fought against those 5 "barbarians".
But you could have had started a bit earlier, for example when they were departing the village or at least extended the story a little bit more.
Also in the beginning, the way you started the story, it was just too slow and it would make the reader stop reading the whole story.
The flow was ok as far as I know, but not perfect or anything and you only described oscus, but there were several characters.
I also liked how oscus named his enemies.
Overall this is an entertaining story and something I would recommend to everyone.

Rating : 35/50

(Kael's judging * 1.5) + ((Votes / Total Votes) * 25) = Total score

The World Is Flat: (39.5 * 1.5) + ((14 / 44) * 25) = 67.2045455
Grey Nightmare: (38 * 1.5) + ((9 / 44) * 25) = 62.1136364
Lightskin: (24 * 1.5) + ((2 / 44) * 25) = 37.1363636
lateris: (25 * 1.5) + ((7 / 44) * 25) = 41.4772727
Tharkas: (23 * 1.5) + ((4 / 44) * 25) = 36.7727273
The Danish: (35 * 1.5) + ((5 / 44) * 25) = 55.3409091
alext did not post a WIP.

short%20story%204%20winners.png

4th - lateris
5th - Lightskin
6th - Tharkas

Poll | Contest

Last edited:
Level 5
I hate you.
I accept the results, but I hate you.
No remorse or bad feelings, I'm not used to writing in english after all...
But you know...
I hate you.

Level 20
Finally =D
Thanks Kael, can't actually believe I came in top 3 in a competition D: yay :) !

Super Gratz to TWIF.
Well done to Danish and a brilliant effort from all those who finished and submitted :p

Most of all well done to the judge/(judges?) there's no harder job than choosing who wins and/or loses. I respect that.

I couldn't be more happy with my review, it pinpoints things I need to work on and confirms some of my styles effectiveness =D

Level 17
Great judging kael :D And well done to all the contestants
P.s Actually There are lots of good books out there with The word rape in them or things to do with rape etc yatta yatta or somin. I.e Z for zacharia as a prime example. Michael morpaego wrote a book with rape in it. It is usually used in the end of the world scene where people think .... I.e I am legend Where he used to have urges towards vampires how easy it would be to fufill his needs. Also In War. Pillage plunder rape. ) Just kinda trying to say its not odd. Its just a very very very bad thing.
But hey your the judge so your choice. Exspecially if it didnt go with the story then your right xD
oh and well Done TWif

Level 5
I'm happy I gained the hate of your past life in my past life.
Also, I think WherewolfTherewolf is right too.

Status
Not open for further replies.