• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #7 ~ The Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

short%20story.png
contest.png
number.png
7.png

results.png

186519-albums3700-picture51381.jpg

Space Opera
Contestants were required to write a speculative, short, high-concept prose story, in a science fiction setting. "[Space operas are] a subgenre of speculative fiction that emphasizes romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in outer space, generally involving conflict between opponents possessing advanced technologies and abilities. The name has no relation to music; it is analogous to soap operas. Perhaps the most significant trait of space opera is that settings, characters, battles, powers, and themes tend to be very large-scale." [ ]

contest%20judging.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7th place: Avator
Style ------------------------ 6/15
Theme ----------------------- 2/10
Pacing ----------------------- 4/10
Creativity & Originality -------- 7/10
Eloquence -------------------- 3/5

Total of: 22/50, which is 44% of maximum possible score earned, and seventh out of seven places on scoreboard.

Dialogue in begining is nice, it injects us directly in story. Using unknown languages also spices up the whole thing. This story is a good atempt that kinda gone bad, you got all elements you needed, and got it to the point where's the culmination of the story. But you never developed it further. Some grammar issues, here and there, but not too much. Word repetitions are issue here. The story is going way too fast, I found myself jumping forward, like, two to three weeks at once. Dialogue gone worse as the story developed. You switched persons and their characters in the middle of story. Incredibly plain on-goings, you can separate and decribe the whole story in three words. Characters are not developed, making them harder for readers to be imagined. Where is Opera in here? Where all the drama, conflicts and story twists went? The story is quite short, and it doesn't have a proper ending. It doesn't have any ending at all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6th place: Champara Bros
Style ------------------------ 4/15
Theme ----------------------- 5/10
Pacing ----------------------- 6/10
Creativity & Originality -------- 8/10
Eloquence -------------------- 3/5

Total of: 26/50, which is 52% of maximum possible score earned, and sixth out of seven places on scoreboard.

Next time, please take in consideration of posting the story directly on the Hive Workshop, rather than attaching a document to download. The story reminds me of a scientific project, rather than a Space Opera. You have no pacing at all during the whole introduction, just the standing facts that start to raise higher and higher in the boredom-o-meter. Really, some dialogue rather than simple explanation in the beginning would make this story more fun to read. Even when there is some sort of dialogue, it's fast, unexplainable, plain, blank and last, but not least, emotionless. You use too much time shifts in rowed sentences, meaning that you need to get a smoother transitions between exciting happenings, and words should be more simple to read, because readers tend to read faster upon encounter with such situations. Overall, your story had a lot of grammatical errors, had no emotions and it barely fitted in the Space Opera category. You need to work on your character development and display of emotions. The battle and the ending pulled you up, thought, as well as a story flow that could be very interesting with some work.
5th place: HINDYhat
Style ---------- 7/15
Theme ----------------- 4/10
Pacing --------------------- 7/10
Creativity & Originality -------- 6/10
Eloquence -------- 3/5

Total of: 27/50, which is 54% of maximum possible score earned, and fifth out of seven places on scoreboard.

You got the point with this story: few random, absolutely different people stuck together in one place and unavailable to escape one from each other. Instant dialogue at begining injects us directly into story and it really represents a hearth of an Opera, but this is heavily detained by using many nicknames for every character. I had to read everything several times in order to get "Who said what to Who, and what Who did with Who to Who". Also, lack of "she shouted", "he crossed his arms and said" types of speech isn't a good thing. Brackets with explanations of story goings are not needed (Haven't counted this in points, thought), usualy it's enough to get effect of reader staring at words "rats for dinner" for two seconds - and it gives pretty much same effect. I recognized your style of writting in Terry Pratchett - lots of irony, sarcasm and sentences that make no sense at all. Addition of real-time stuffs (From this reality we call World) could have a negative impact on your story, but in this case, I made an exception and passed it over since it's the only thing of that type used in here. It's nice idea to use trademark (™). Amount of grammatical errors has nearly made me cry, and you got a little bit too much off the edge with mature content. Overall, the story is quite short considering limits of 10 000 words, and it's also lacking proper explanations of situations that are currently happening. The story is readable - barely, but this is an Opera: where did all the drama and conflicts go?
4th place: Gausslander
Style ---------- 8/15
Theme ----------------- 4/10
Pacing --------------------- 7/10
Creativity & Originality -------- 8/10
Eloquence -------- 4/5

Total of: 31/50, which is 62% of maximum possible score earned, and fourth out of seven places on scoreboard.

The story had few "Wait, what?" moments that weren't supposed to be there. Grammar issues on every second corner were covered with the abusing of Street language - and it, surprisingly, turned out quite fine and nice, even with some missing sings of interpunction. Acts are a good innovation, they are indeed parts of an Opera, but the transition you used could heavily benefit from some smoothness, instead of quick jump-in-forward-without-letting-reader-know-what-happened-in-meanwhile moments. It's nice to see that you used a little, what I like to call them, "History" moments, in order to fully present the main character of the story, but you have gone a little too much in explaining the character to every single little detail of his psychic state, instead of giving us a shot at his visuality. I detest from usage of mature language. It is a nice idea to make the whole story rotate around a single character, but even with it's stunning originality and incredible possibilites, you haven't succesed to develop it properly. You just simply bump way too much between multiple stories, without revealing any connections until you get them together. When I gather everything together, the story really had nothing to make me read it further with excitement, or read it again sometimes, but it did had some wicked sense of timeflow that made me wonder: "Hm... What will happen next?". Oh, and... Uhm... What's up with the ending? I don't get it - the assassin guy just vanished from the story when it (finally) got exciting, and the main character got drunk, swore his drink, and probably passed away. The last one out of few "Wait, what?" moments. Also, your story has incredible low amount of connections to the theme. There is Space - only in beginning, there is some Drama - in the ending, and there's nothing else.
3rd place: The World Is Flat
Style ---------- 9/15
Theme ----------------- 8/10
Pacing --------------------- 10/10
Creativity & Originality -------- 9/10
Eloquence -------- 5/5

Total of: 36/50, which is 72% of maximum possible score earned, and third out of seven places on scoreboard.

You got lost in trying to make the story as much descriptive as possible, and too many details during the entire story did an impressive job for helping readers to visualize the whole, stunning concept, but as much as they helped, the details really killed the whole story, too. You paid too much time and energy on focusing on details, rather than involving reader in the heart of the story, and that made the story drown itself in useless info - that eventually killed it when the story was already dead. Thought you got the point of a Space Opera precisely and in the center, you got lost and eventualy, ended the story too fast and in a blink. I had a hard time finding any grammar issues within your story - Great job, I have to say. Perfect dialogues have really impressed me. The flow is perfect, and informs us about everything that is(n't) needed to be known - quite smoothly. Some comparations are quite stunning and unseen, but your story lacks some extra emotions, which are crutial for an Opera. What you could do to make this a winner story, is to delete first few paragraphs, cut many details, involve some extra emotions and to not end the story too fast.
2nd place: GunSlinger21
Style ---------- 9/15
Theme ----------------- 9/10
Pacing --------------------- 8/10
Creativity & Originality -------- 9/10
Eloquence -------- 2/5

Total of: 37/50, which is 74% of maximum possible score earned, and second out of seven places on scoreboard.

The story has to be written in third person. You started with first person, then switched to third, then used both in one sentence. You also swap and play around the timing, I found characters in both Present and Future - at the same time, in one sentence, few times. Writing a story in the present time instead of past-before-present is pretty much complicated - and not many are able to do that. You managed to squezze it through, but you lost emotions and some pacing in process. Quite interesting and original idea to use such specifing timing with thousand hours. You need to use some interpunction signs to dispatch one sentence into few smaller - they are long and confusing to read. Critical amount of grammatical errors is nearly present, and when they appear, they get in the most visible place and ruin everything else. It would be nice if there was a greater amount of tension in those interesting situations where Victor fought his enemies, or Bruce - they were plain and, to be honest, with not too much emotions that are crutial for Opera and the whole concept of story. The story is quite interesting, a great transformation of Tom Cruise and James Bond to a space themed, dramatic action movie, but grammar, emotionless situations, and succesful atempts of getting exciting moments quite plain detained your score.
1st place: Dragonson
Style ---------- 14/15
Theme ----------------- 10/10
Pacing --------------------- 10/10
Creativity & Originality -------- 10/10
Eloquence -------- 4/5

Total of: 48/50, which is 96% of maximum possible score earned, and first out of seven places on scoreboard.

The story starts properly - an interesting guide to the on-goings. Nice idea to give an android human emotions, and you developed it well. I had a hard time to keep a track between the dialogue of the Holy Spirit and the story itself, and thought it is a nice idea to meld the Spirit in the story, the results were detaining. You wrote incredibly stunning explanations of emotions and their effects, as well as the reactions to them, and what surprised me pleasantly is the pain descriptions. A piece of metal that starts to live. Interactions and dialogue of spirit and Leif were quite fun and accurate to pace of the story. The scene with fire is quite impressive, I have to say. "Leif was about to send Keene a killer stare when he realized he didn't know where to point it." - that sentence made my day, really. I also have to say that I couldn't find anything to get a negative impact on you, except the Black Font, quite small grammar issues, and an ending that put a big, honest smile on my face.

Additional info:

• 80% of the winner is determined by the contest's appointed judge.
• 20% of the winner is determined by the results of the public poll.

((Votes / Total Votes) * 20) + ((Judge's Results) * (80 / 50)))

Avator: ((3 / 30) * 20) + (22 * (80 / 50)) = 37,2
Champara Bros: ((1 / 30) * 20) + (26 * (80 / 50)) = 42,266
Dragonson: ((8 / 30) * 20) + (48 * (80 / 50)) = 82,13
GunSlinger21: ((2 / 30) * 20) + (37 * (80 / 50)) = 60,53
Gausslander: ((4 / 30) * 20) + (31 * (80 / 50)) = 52,26
HINDYhat: ((4 / 30) * 20) + (27 * (80 / 50)) = 45,86
The World Is Flat: ((8 / 30) * 20) + (36 * (80 / 50)) = 62,93

1) Dragonson
2) The World Is Flat
3) GunSlinger21
4) Gausslander
5) HINDYhat
6) Champara Bros
7) Avator

160036-albums4747-picture52132.png

160036-albums4747-picture52133.png

160036-albums4747-picture52134.png

Poll | Contest

As a rule i believe we need more than 1.

Also, i really hate to raise this, because it will sound like i'm raging, but dragonson and apheraz are in a relationship, and drag won by a fair margin. just saying.

I'm definetly not saying I deserved to win, so don't take it like that, I'm just wondering whether or not we should have had an additional judge to ward of possible favoritism.

Again, don't rage saying 'YOU ONLY WANT 1st!' Its not like that, I personally don't think my story is 1st place material, but, to be perfectly honest, I think that Dragonson's score may have been influcenced by that relationship. Thats all. And I think we need to have at least 2 judges in the future.

Level 27
As a rule i believe we need more than 1.

Also, i really hate to raise this, because it will sound like i'm raging, but dragonson and apheraz are in a relationship, and drag won by a fair margin. just saying.

I'm definetly not saying I deserved to win, so don't take it like that, I'm just wondering whether or not we should have had an additional judge to ward of possible favoritism.

Again, don't rage saying 'YOU ONLY WANT 1st!' Its not like that, I personally don't think my story is 1st place material, but, to be perfectly honest, I think that Dragonson's score may have been influcenced by that relationship. Thats all. And I think we need to have at least 2 judges in the future.

Meh... I was kindof afraid to write here 'cause i had a feeling someone would post this.
And well, i, as you can imagine, have something to say on this matter.

This is a very understandible concern you raise here.
This is the internet, all we have to put our trust in is the words of others, and words are one of the most fragile things you can come upon.
But on the other side, by raising this point you are technically acusing Apheraz of Lying. Well, maybe we can tone it down to 'Acusing Apheraz of Prejudice in it's most basic and litteral meaning', but still. Same-same.
This kind of issues are very delicate. You feel like they should be discussed, which i completely understand, and at the same time you are blatantly saying 'omg, cheatz!'.

To be honest, i almost wanted to raise the same concerns in the last SSC.
In SSC5 i won a gold medal over you and Grey Nightmare. I'm still not sure i deserved that, but i can atleast say Wolfe did his part of the job.
IN SSC6, you and grey were the ones judging, and i was biting my fingernails off 'cause the two of us had been at odds for some time prior to and during the poll.
In the poll, i was completely dominating. I was very proud of that, and what i presented back then is still one of my favourite pieces of writing. I was especially happy that Tleno came to my profile and commented that he'd gladly read more of my writing, should i ever make any.
Yet, i found my maybe somewhat unrealistic hopes cut when i had to settle for a silver medal.
Right when i found out, i wanted to post something along the lines of 'Ehh... I know this sounds like i'm a sore looser, but i think we might have some judge-participant relation issues.'
But a friend of mine slapped me in the face and made me not do so.
So although i think your claim is somewhat loose, i cant say i dont understand what you're saying.

I do have a few things to say against your arguments tho:
1: You had AGES to raise concerns like this before the results were posted.
Imean, seriously. These contests are ALWAYS delayed and we all know it.
2: Apheraz was the only judge signing up.
We can't really call foul play when she was the only one willing to put the time and effort into reading all of our stories and judging them.
Or well, we can, but... meh.
3: ... Naah, forget it. I really dont have anything more to say that i wont regret saying.

Wow Dragonson, Wall-of-text much?
Anyways, no-matter what this ends with i'l just take the liberty of being abit proud of myself.
Yey!

I understand how relationships can influence decision making subconsciously.

Meh... I was kindof afraid to write here 'cause i had a feeling someone would post this.
And well, i, as you can imagine, have something to say on this matter.

Of course, you took first place and that situation is under question, Completely understandable. I mean nothing personal by this.

This is a very understandible concern you raise here.

Thanks?

This is the internet, all we have to put our trust in is the words of others, and words are one of the most fragile things you can come upon.

Easily taken out of context, easily manipulated, sadly.

But on the other side, by raising this point you are technically acusing Apheraz of Lying. Well, maybe we can tone it down to 'Acusing Apheraz of Prejudice in it's most basic and litteral meaning', but still. Same-same.
This kind of issues are very delicate. You feel like they should be discussed, which i completely understand, and at the same time you are blatantly saying 'omg, cheatz!'.

And misinterpreted:

I understand how easy it is to be subconsciously manipulated by feelings and emotions towards certain people. It really is almost impossible to to ignore these things, even if your not actively paying attention to them.

I'm not claiming Apheraz was lying, I am suggesting that the problem of judging is that it is subject to... subjectivity. Unconsious or consious. What i am also suggesting, Is that adding more points of view to a judging situation (more judges) Is the best way to combat possible problems. My problem is not that 'Aph was judging and dragon got the highest score by a margin.' My problem is that Aph was the ONLY judge, and you won by a margin.

A judge may HATE YOU, and you may LOOSE, and I would still be making this post, about your loss. Simply because there was no larger representation. What I am suggesting is that in FUTURE CONTESTS, (read: no this one, its over) we need a minimum of two judges.

To be honest, i almost wanted to raise the same concerns in the last SSC.
In SSC5 i won a gold medal over you and Grey Nightmare. I'm still not sure i deserved that, but i can atleast say Wolfe did his part of the job.

You should have then, if there was only one judge.

IN SSC6, you and grey were the ones judging, and i was biting my fingernails off 'cause the two of us had been at odds for some time prior to and during the poll.
In the poll, i was completely dominating. I was very proud of that, and what i presented back then is still one of my favourite pieces of writing. I was especially happy that Tleno came to my profile and commented that he'd gladly read more of my writing, should i ever make any.
Yet, i found my maybe somewhat unrealistic hopes cut when i had to settle for a silver medal.

If you felt like we shortchanged you, you should have voiced your concerns. I can't speak for grey, but I honestly don't remeber the period where we were at odds. I know we've had arguments, but I hardy imagine that that effects my overall opinion of you.

Right when i found out, i wanted to post something along the lines of 'Ehh... I know this sounds like i'm a sore looser, but i think we might have some judge-participant relation issues.'

If you felt that way then you SHOULD HAVE.

In my opinion its was most likely, (I'm certainly not suggesting my voting was biased) simply because If I was biased, then grey nightmare would have likely balanced out my negative votes.

Also, there was, in our defense, people who raised concerns that your poll was pitched because of fans from your sig thread. (I won't say who.)

But a friend of mine slapped me in the face and made me not do so.
So although i think your claim is somewhat loose, i cant say i dont understand what you're saying.

I do have a few things to say against your arguments tho:
1: You had AGES to raise concerns like this before the results were posted.
Imean, seriously. These contests are ALWAYS delayed and we all know it.

I'm not trying to change this contest, only future ones.

2: Apheraz was the only judge signing up.

I'm sure time could have found another. or asking around. I imagine this as similar to the '3 entries minimum rule'

I know Kael WOULD HAVE, but he didn't want to, because of possible bias, he said. (Ironic, I know, that I raise that point.)

We can't really call foul play when she was the only one willing to put the time and effort into reading all of our stories and judging them.
Or well, we can, but... meh.

'meh' ? >_<

Look, I'm not saying I deserve first, because I don't, my story wasn't properly finished, I just think that a bare minimum of two judges is really needed.

Level 27
Huh, i think we can cut this whole thing down to:
TWIF wanted to make sure future contests dont bear flaws that this one did.
Dragonson misunderstood that, and posted a wall of text.
TWIF out-wall-of-text'ed Dragonson.
Dragonson facepalmed and apologized for his stupid misunderstanding.*

*This is an apology.

Level 30
Oh, for fuck sake, not Drama again. First of all, please put a proper announcement. It should have been also posted in the Poll. I was wandering what happened to this contest, and just found out that the results are here for some time. Damn. Hellooou? Announcement anyone?

And now the hard part of responding to upper comments. Sigh...
@The World Is Flat,
Drake and I - we are together, but that doesn't mean that I was any gentler to him than I was on other entries. The... "Possible Favoritism", as you call it, is not present here, and I really like seeing that coming from a person who's poll results are stacked up by people who haven't even red a single letter from your story. As a judge, I keep this at the professional level: rating the story, not the writer. And just by starting this entire argument, it is clearly see-able what you tried to accomplish. Your tricks are not working on everyone. Also, I agree that we needed at least one more judge, but, hell, where were you to seek one? If I can remember correctly, one guy was supposed to contact you. History remains silent of your response. Oh, and I don't think that you even bothered to read Drake's and your's story, and to compare them. Your story makes reader die in mass of unnecessary info, while Drake's has a perfect balance.

Thanks for accusing me for being biased and one-sided. You know, what really kills me is the fact that, I announced our Wedding, we posted love messages on other's profile, and you started to get annoyed about it now, after the contest is done. It appears to me that something in here hurts you, and it's not "Biased Judging". I have done few judging works so far, and I encountered some "enemies" of mine in one of them. With my judging, that... "enemy" won, due to a simple reason that I always put my work in front of my personal issues. That's the case, and always will be.

Oh, and for your attempt of changing the no-more-one-judge-ever politics, I would like to see faces of all contestants when you announce that I (or someone else) was the only judge that wanted to get this going, and to avoid biasing, the contest is canceled and the whole effort is thrown behind your shoulder. SS contest are the hardest to judge, they require a lot of time, effort and wish to do such a thing.

Enough for this time.
To everyone other, I just wanted to post my own opinion about this argument, even now when it's, hopefully, over. I do hope that there will be no more issues about my work, and I call everyone who think I have done something wrong to read the Drake's & TWIF's entries, and my comments. The point is standing high in here.
I also apologize for this wall of text, and I call all people who want to reply me, to do so at my profile, rather than spamming this thread with useless crap it doesn't needs.

Edit: Anyways, that Knife-Edge thingy... Is that supposed to be a story which will display a miserable life of a character which gets lower and lower on the scale of moral & life with every moment? If that's the case, I would be happy to read the stories, even if I would be rejected as the next judge.
Oh, and you can freely use my questions for "Contest Judging and Voting" field, since you use that old plain one, and some extra information is always a good choice.
Style
Is your writing easy readable, or it resembles too much of a confusing opera? Did you use proper theme? Did your writing followed the theme and language style of a Space Opera? How good your representation of language and drama is?

Theme
Did you follow the theme of Space Opera, or included other elements? Have you successively represented theme? Are characters properly developed? Are there any (verbal or physical) battles?

Pacing
How fast the ongoing is? Is the story accurate with the question of timing? If it was reality, would it be too fast or too slow? Does reader's mind go randomly from past, over future to present, or everything is aligned properly?

Creativity & Originality
Was your story unique, or it resembles of an existing other? How much unexpected details are used? Has writer used no bounds for creativity? Has writer follow the concept fully, or added interesting details?

Eloquence
Does story possess lots of grammatical errors? Is it written in forbidden Leet / Street / Baroque form? Is the story understandable?

Apheraz, we dealt with it, posting again only leads to more drama, and then you complain about drama? Stop this before it goes anywhere else.

I know this is hypocritical, and I'm only furthering the drama, but I guess i just need to say it:

@The World Is Flat,
Drake and I - we are together, but that doesn't mean that I was any gentler to him than I was on other entries. The... "Possible Favoritism", as you call it, is not present here, and I really like seeing that coming from a person who's poll results are stacked up by people who haven't even red a single letter from your story.

And dragonson's aren't, and haven't been in almost all past contests? Excuse me. It happens.

As a judge, I keep this at the professional level: rating the story, not the writer. And just by starting this entire argument, it is clearly see-able what you tried to accomplish. Your tricks are not working on everyone.

My Tricks? Tricks?

I said before, I DO NOT DESERVE FIRST. I'm not even arguing whether or not dragonson deserved first. I'm stating that to avoid potential bias, we need multiple judges. Plenty of times bias can be mostly or completely unconscious, you may not even notice it happening. Just Google Unconscious Bias. Or it may not have, I'm not claiming to know or make judgments, my argument was about the possibility, and the fact that multiple judges is the best option.

Also, I agree that we needed at least one more judge, but, hell, where were you to seek one?

Asking around a little bit more could have been done, and I admit that I'm guilty of not asking around enough, but so are we all.

If I can remember correctly, one guy was supposed to contact you.

Who? I know you contacted me and I said that it wasn't my decision but I'd Back you.

Oh, and I don't think that you even bothered to read Drake's and your's story, and to compare them. Your story makes reader die in mass of unnecessary info, while Drake's has a perfect balance.

I'm not discussing the stories at all, this is about the judging.

(While were on that topic, different styles are different styles.)

Thanks for accusing me for being biased and one-sided. You know, what really kills me is the fact that, I announced our Wedding, we posted love messages on other's profile, and you started to get annoyed about it now, after the contest is done.

I'm not suggesting we change this contest, only future ones, and I only became active again recently, due to the end of the farm season. In that case, my timing doesn't matter.

It appears to me that something in here hurts you, and it's not "Biased Judging".

I'm not really emotional on this matter, but it appears that you are, and I understand completely, it probably feels like i'm attacking your integrity, which I'm not.

I have done few judging works so far, and I encountered some "enemies" of mine in one of them. With my judging, that... "enemy" won, due to a simple reason that I always put my work in front of my personal issues. That's the case, and always will be.

I'm not familiar with this contest, but the world isn't set in stone, if you understand my point.

Oh, and for your attempt of changing the no-more-one-judge-ever politics, I would like to see faces of all contestants when you announce that I (or someone else) was the only judge that wanted to get this going, and to avoid biasing, the contest is canceled and the whole effort is thrown behind your shoulder.

I'm not trying to win or delete this contest, which you would know had tried to read what i meant with my comments. I don't believe i deserved to win. My point stands about the judges.

There were other judges available, I admit i was at fault for not being around to look hard enough, but others can take that job Aswell. we should have spent more time on finding additional judges.

SS contest are the hardest to judge, they require a lot of time, effort and wish to do such a thing.

No.

I would say they are all equal. Just because you have to read the work, and that takes time, doesn't mean developing a strong understanding of other works like in the coding, art, or mapping contests, and spending the time to test out all of those entries is not difficult. It is. Its not easy, but its not the hardest. But you volunteered for this, why complain about a job you volunteered for?

Enough for this time.

I agree 100% with this. Lets stop the drama before this goes anywhere else.

About Knife-Edge:

No its about tension, not descention. (It should be a word if it isn't) Tension that eventually breaks, it seems to pull one way or another.

Level 30
I wanted to stop this the moment I realized what we are doing, but this made me gasp for air in a moment:
"I'm not discussing the stories at all, this is about the judging."

So, your point is that if the Drake's story was really bad, he would still get my high score rating? I would like to live to the day that would happen. After all, since this is about the judging, what complains you have about it? You know that I'm open for critics, and it's one of ways of letting me know that I am doing something wrong, and that I should improve it. And if community wants it, I will stop judging, since I see that as long as the submissions are open to sight of public community, there will be a light of suspicion that I'm doing something wrong. Anyways, I will open a thread in Site Discussion soon, about this type of contest, and what can be done to avoid future conflicts.
So it can have both "happily ever after" or "dying" endings? I like it when it's already decided, but I guess it kills the randomness and creativity.

Well i guess we wanted a more open theme this time, but I'm sure if its what people wan't then we can tighten up.

I wanted to stop this the moment I realized what we are doing, but this made me gasp for air in a moment:
"I'm not discussing the stories at all, this is about the judging."

So, your point is that if the Drake's story was really bad, he would still get my high score rating?

No, I'm sorry, what I meant by this is simply, my point wasn't about his story or mine, it was about the situation in general.

I would like to live to the day that would happen. After all, since this is about the judging, what complains you have about it? You know that I'm open for critics, and it's one of ways of letting me know that I am doing something wrong, and that I should improve it.

I have no REAL complaints about your judging at all, it was the situation that I was commenting on. Your judging was fine. I mean everyone has complaints, but nothing I feel needs to be said. (partly because it sounds whiny.)

And if community wants it, I will stop judging, since I see that as long as the submissions are open to sight of public community, there will be a light of suspicion that I'm doing something wrong.

My only point was that the more judges we have, the less strong the weight of one judges possible unconscious bias (or, for some, lets face it, conscious bias.) might be.

Anyways, I will open a thread in Site Discussion soon, about this type of contest, and what can be done to avoid future conflicts.

Probably a good idea. Send me a Link.

Level 18
I'm surprised you judged me after all. I mentioned several times that I shouldn't even have been in the poll because I didn't have a real entry (simply because it wasn't even half a story). The statement that it doesn't have an ending is kind of stating the obvious lol. Still, thanks for the feedback of what I did wrote.

And congratulations to the winners!

A space ship? did you read my story? Its a facility on the planet's surface.

>_> And i add those details because that is how my STYLE works, some people like that style, some don't, its more of a literary style, and, like most short stories should be, its written in prose. The judging area style is how well you preform in that style sub-type, not judging your style. Any story could be shortened like that, to be honest.

Criticize a writer and he responds. :p
Not that I don't appreciate it, but I have my opinions on where I went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.