• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Charmander

04 - Charmander

This model is squished. The model itself has 25.4KB after imported to the map, although that doesn't show properly.

WARNING: The freehand texture named emotion.blp contains many types of textures that all pokémon models will share. If you download another pokemon model, be sure you overwrite the last emotion.blp you had with this one. If your pokemon models aren't showing properly, download it again and overwrite emotion.blp. Such texture has a size of 9.4KB after imported to the map.
If you use it in your map give me credits for it. Check this thread's first post for more information.

Do not distribute this model anywhere without my explicit permission.

The only proper viewer to this model is wc3 game. The particle system doesn't display correctly in other viewers and some animations look bad for not blending.

Keywords:
pokemon, charmander, fire, flame, dinosaur, barney
Contents

Charmander (Model)

Reviews
01:11, 23rd Jun 2009 BlinkBoy: You did a nice job this time. The model fits well into wc3. I find it very appealing. However, animations don't truely blend, some attacks don't start and end on stand ready, and it looks kinda weird. Also Death lacks...

M

01:11, 23rd Jun 2009
BlinkBoy: You did a nice job this time. The model fits well into wc3. I find it very appealing. However, animations don't truely blend, some attacks don't start and end on stand ready, and it looks kinda weird. Also Death lacks motion. I'll approve this, yet, try improving it a bit more.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Ok, tested it a lil' bit, review time:

[+] The ingame skin is good, more realistic, better than those plain textures that the pokemon models generally use.

[+] Some animations are ok too.

[+] The size is a very good point. Perfect for those who make big pokemon maps (like us).

[+ -] Some animations are choppy.

[+] In some animations (like the attacks and stand ready), his eyes change to a "horizontal-egg form", like it were doped or drunk.

[-] The UV wrapping at the belly line needs serious works.

Overall, a good model, with a decent use of ingame texture and a very good size. But some erros at the animations and the bad UV wrapping at the belly line ruin a big part of it.

My rating is 2/5, with the current "bugs". Fix those and it mighty increase.

Last edited:
The eye becomes like that because he is angry. Also, in his anger the tail's fire becomes bigger.
The 'choppy' anims appear in other viewers like magos, they run smoothly in-game.
The belly line would need too much work to be fixed, it is already rigged and animated. There are bigger priorities, I say.
2/10 ? Damn, I though the model was ok.

Actually they rate about "Is the model exactly the same as the cartoon", including:
- Plain textures
- Some impossible things to do...
The thing is that 2/5 = Lacking. And it does lack stuff, like most of the models.

But thanks for the feedback, and yes, I'll improve it. I thought that the 'Blend Time' got rid of all animations that would'nt end at the same position...I'll change the ones that need change.
I'm agree with you about the death animation. I just tried to repeat an excellent anim I made in an humanoid model and I failed.. xD ...actually the death anim is one of the reasons why this model is tagged 'Barney'. lol
The attack animations look weird mostly because of the blending problem? Or they actually look weird themselves?

Thanks blinkboy =D

I rate this:
[Rating by ikillforeyou]
+.5 for animation clearness.
+1 for being original
+2 for small filesize with a custom texture
+1.5 for being damn cute and functional

-.3 for messy wrapping on the back/side
-.35 for no hero glow for a hero
-.35 for not mentioning that this is a hero

That equals 4/5, good job.

If you have problems with my review ask me, i personally like this better then most other "Cartoon" models on the hive. +Rep for over 3/5

Level 17
God damn, this requires more then a 2/5
If a modeler that everyone knows uploads a green piece of slime, it gets a 5 becouse it was made by "that guy" and it looks wierd.
But when people actually try to make something useful, people throw away low rating and say whats wrong.
I dont get it.. seriusly. i give it a 4/5 :]

Can someone reskin it to be a... to be... a creature or a pet in some maps?
You meant for the eyes? Maybe I do another eye texture to it... =P
In addition, you can change the texture via MDL editing to use the Purple thunder lizard (vizir) or the green thunder lizard, it won't resemble a charmander.
Not to mention about deleting the particle system via the Node Manager in magos, so it looks like a dinosaur whelp.

Level 2
Whoah. Love the textures! You are just great at these types of models! And i for one think the animations are pretty smooth. Everything from the fire to the eyes are great! Overall this is a solid model! 5/5

Level 4
well it has the whole charmander body like...but to me it looks like its a statue to rockish looking and the skin isnt really a charmander look if you were going with a cartoon version if not then its 4/5 just need to make it not look like a rockish statue :p :hohum:

wh isnt he "just" orange? i don't realy understand why he is Orange/darkred

well it has the whole charmander body like...but to me it looks like its a statue to rockish looking and the skin isnt really a charmander look if you were going with a cartoon version if not then its 4/5 just need to make it not look like a rockish statue :p :hohum:

I knew I should face comments like this. This is not Charmander from Pokemon then, ok? It's just a model FOR WARCRAFT III. thank you.

Level 16
Happy Chanoeka to you too ;)
This pokemon is made for our Project, Pokemon RPG,
We have made a decision, which is that we use/make models that fit Warcraft III, AND pokemon, not only Pokemon.

That is your explanation,,

Level 6
Your use of in-game textures makes me so happy that I may die. Also: please team up with an animator. I'm sure you can find a decent one in the forms who would be thrilled to slap his name on a beautiful model like this - assuming you're okay with sharing. +rep
:infl_thumbs_up:
:infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up: :witch_doc_sad: :witch_doc_sad: (3/5)

Level 35
HFR said:
Ok, tested it a lil' bit, review time:

[+] The ingame skin is good, more realistic, better than those plain textures that the pokemon models generally use.

[+] Some animations are ok too.

[+] The size is a very good point. Perfect for those who make big pokemon maps (like us).

[+ -] Some animations are choppy.

[+] In some animations (like the attacks and stand ready), his eyes change to a "horizontal-egg form", like it were doped or drunk.

[-] The UV wrapping at the belly line needs serious works.

Overall, a good model, with a decent use of ingame texture and a very good size. But some erros at the animations and the bad UV wrapping at the belly line ruin a big part of it.

My rating is 2/5, with the current "bugs". Fix those and it mighty increase.

Um... you come up with 1 bad thing, 1 neutral thing and a whole bunch of good things, yet you only give it a 2? Sounds kinda... what's the word... oh, I'm sure someone else is thinking it right now by any chance :p
But srsly, you come up with 1 bad thing, so why isn't it useful? I actually don't think it's lacking in any respect, but I haven't tested it ingame yet.

Glad we discussed using the Salamander textures, BTW :D

Level 26
Is everyone in this place blind, or what?

Lovely model, HC. The skin is GREAT. As opposed to being a flat monochrome piece of craaaaaap, it actually looks decent in Warcraft terrain and whatever. The animations aren't remotely as bad as everyone else makes them out to be, too.

And I still can't see this UV map problem on the belly.

Level 6
I like how you used the in-game textures, and the pretty small file size. This is obviously expertly done and deserves +REP for all the effort and hard work put into this. But what I'm seeing is a pattern, and that pattern is that people who have negative rep, are usually the ones who have joined recently, I'm not saying new members are bad, but it's not like the world itself is getting better either =\
What I absolutely like about the model, are the unit's eyes, not just the portrait, I love how you did they eye and you aren't even know for anime-type models. This is obviously a great example of excellent modeling, and good use of in-game Textures...5/5!
But what could be done...(well what I see in your snap-shot...My comp's acting really crappy... and if I were to download one more file...My comp would prolly crash! >_<)...is a small clean-up of the textures because (it's really good!...but...) I see stripes on Charmander's back, which I'm sure isn't there in the show/video games. And also, the claws... pokemon that are supposed to be obtained at a low level, are supposed to look somewhat "cute" like all of the beginning pokemon, and there's nothing cute about the model's claws (just a suggestion...) maybe remove the points? If I can recall...Charmander doesn't have points on the tips of his claws...but I don't really know, I haven't seen what Charmander really looks like for a long time.
Anyways, after this long post I will say again: This is an excellent example of good use of textures, and good modeling skills found here only on THW, all of the modelers here are proof that THW has some of the highest quality ones around, not saying that any others are bad, but we have a lot of the good ones, good work HappyCockroach, and expect some reputation :grin:

Last edited:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Um... you come up with 1 bad thing, 1 neutral thing and a whole bunch of good things, yet you only give it a 2? Sounds kinda... what's the word... oh, I'm sure someone else is thinking it right now by any chance :p
But srsly, you come up with 1 bad thing, so why isn't it useful? I actually don't think it's lacking in any respect, but I haven't tested it ingame yet.

Glad we discussed using the Salamander textures, BTW :D

I just like to be harsh. And the belly line needs a good fix!

Level 2
Looking at the screenshot, i really like the scale texture everywhere but the head. It looks kind of wierd to me, like he has hair or something. Other than that pretty darn good. unofficial 4/5