• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Boycott Diablo II Reforged, I mean Resurrected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Blizzard released Warcraft III Reforged incomplete and buggy and when they reseived tons of negative backlash, rather than fix the game they broke, they swept it under the rug and acted like it never existed.

And I garentee you, they'll find a way to screw up Diablo II as well. All they care about is how they can make the most money off a game while putting the least amount of money and effort into it. So maybe just maybe if we cut enough into their profits they'll learn, eh but probably not.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
It looks like Resurrected is shaping up to be a solid remaster. I played the alpha not too long ago and everything checked out. Also, the devs at Vicarious Visions seem to be fairly passionate about the game. It's a much smaller project than Warcraft 3, so it's a lot harder for them to mess it up.

Speaking on project size, I believe that Reforged's failure was a result of Blizzard severely underestimating the scope of the project. One does not simply remaster 850+ units, 1000's of icons, 500+ special effects, 100's of doodads, etc. over night. The project was treated like something simple that they could throw together quickly, just recreate what was already there but make it look shiny. They were clearly unprepared for the sheer amount of content that was packed into this game. I mean there's a reason Warcraft 3 is still popular to this day, it's packed with more stuff than 50 modern AAA games combined. That being said, it's Blizzard's fault for not grasping how large of a project their OWN game would be, but that goes to show how out of touch the company is.

Anyway, Reforged is a colossal disappointment, but I won't boycott a game that is being developed by people that I have faith in just because their bosses are the greedy corporate assholes behind another game's failure.

Although... on second thought maybe it would be for the greater good to boycott it... Fuck man, as a massive Diablo 2 fan I'm torn.

Last edited:
Level 20
Resurrected has one huge advantage over Reforged - Diablo 4 & Diablo: Immortal are a thing.

Both of these games aren't just some filler releases, but Blizzard's next big things. Immortal is their first mobile game and a chance to get into a huge new market, so obviously they want it to succeed. And Diablo 4? aRPGs are incredibly easy to turn into a live service and have a huge monetization potential, so... if Blizzard plays it right, Diablo 4 can be their next big long-term PC money maker, their next World of Warcraft, so to speak. And that's exactly what they want.

Why does it matter? Because Diablo 2: Resurrected is also an aRPG - a very beloved, iconic aRPG that a lot of aRPG fans are definetely going to pick up. Give them a shit show like Reforged and you're effectively pissing off a huge chunk of the customer base for Diablo 4 and partially also Immortal. You really don't want that.

First of all, boycotts rarely work. Also, you can say the same for EA after they massacred the Command and Conquer franchise, yet the C&C Remastered was everything fans wanted. As terrible as Reforged turned out to be, if Resurrected is good, why shouldn't people get it?
Also - this.

I think a "wait and see" approach is the most reasonable - if you want to get Resurrected, wait until it comes out and your trusted reviewers post their opinions.

Last edited:
Level 2
Yes but it's not just Warcraft III, Blizzard has been screwing up for a while. Diablo immortals is just a phone game that their fan base could care less about. Diablo 3 had some major flaws. Like what was the last good game they released? StarCraft remastered was good but it did have the same Rules wc3 Reforged had

Level 29
I think system requirements is my eternal enemy for all games.
While Reforged makes the game incredibly unplayable due to the main menu issue, Diablo Resurrected is even worse. It will likely do the same thing as most recent-ish Call of Duty games (like Black Ops Cold War and Warzone).
First, there is no way to play this game on older OS (including Mac and 32-Bit) rather than Windows 10 latest version (or maybe, the upcoming Windows 11, which is now under the preview as Microsoft explained).
Also, there is a chance the game will use the Ray-Tracing as Metro Exodus. But that's all the problems that making me unable to play Diablo.
Wrong forum.
Yes, this should be placed in this one because this forum is NOT about Reforged, nor anything that's related to Warcraft III.

Level 2
Wrong forum.
Yeah sorry about that.

I think system requirements is my eternal enemy for all games.
While Reforged makes the game incredibly unplayable due to the main menu issue, Diablo Resurrected is even worse.
Yeah that drives me crazy, I have two laptops that just freeze soon as I get to the main menu.

To be honest, I pre-ordered the diablo 2 resurrected recently not because I was actually going to play it, but because I was interested in the idea of communicating with the people there who seem to have these lengthy and ongoing lofty ideas about all the stuff they wish for that seems very far estranged from the kind of low-budget remaster that would be the corporate goal similar to Reforged.

But after my second thread I got suspended from their forums. So to be honest, I find myself kind of regretting my meme purchase, although I guess in the eyes of the people in charge one could say that I got what I deserved. Reforged is in a weird place. I could not really imagine asking the people developing it for more, since there's nothing in it financially for them, but that's also why I wish that they would do something silly but profitable with Reforged that could draw in enough money to fix the most reported issues and give it another "dev sprint" of improvements, this time being made by people who know their rights to update the game will soon be gone and can be really pragmatic about it. It would be interesting to see what a handful of people would do if faced with that.

I would certainly not envy them their job. I have often felt that what different Warcraft III enthusiasts wanted out of Warcraft III Reforged were often mutually exclusive changes. I want things that other people might not want. And it seems to get worse as time goes on. My only salvation is to rewrite the game myself, so that I can have all my bad ideas together in one place and nobody can tell me they are wrong. I think that when I accomplish this, I will find peace with this hobby again.

Level 2
My dream is that Diablo II Resurrected would add features like new characters, a sixth act, new bosses, more early game Runewords, and more spells for the current characters. I guess they're making it for console also, which is cool and and really the only thing I liked about Diablo III.

I mean if you're paying 30$ for a game you should be paying for more than just HD textures. But I guess Reforged you were paying for HD textures and for the removal of other features.

@Retera what did you post that could've justified you being suspended from the forums?
Here's the exact text, pulled from my forum account action email that was sent to me:

Hey guys, I am wondering, after this game releases and the curtain is pulled up on this community same as it was with Warcraft 3 Reforged, and everyone excited for Diablo 2 Resurrected goes from super fan to super hater, will you guys make videos like this one?
If not, once you are converted to super hater by the modern manipulation technologies, social medium, etc, what do you predict is the way you will vent your frustration for D2R? Or would you just leave? For me I still post on Reforged forums because I did modding and so I have a way out when this company breaks stuff and then leaves it broken for years like they are doing now on Warcraft III. But sometimes I read about those people who had 2600 wins on Battle.net 1.0 before their accounts were forcibly terminated and replaced by Reforged (which has no win counter) and I just laugh at this point. I really have zero confidence that this company learned anything from Warcraft III: Reforged and so I know Diablo 2 Resurrected will end up the same. They'll find a way to delete your characters and accounts and stuff from Bnet 1.0 to save themselves the server space soon enough, surely. My way of coping was to make a parody like the video linked above. What will yours be for D2R next year after it's done?
I think they just don't like the negativity. I was being controversial-ish to see how people would reply.

But I get it. Hype is profitable.

Level 2
Just wait guys, you'll turn on the news one day and see buildings burning and stores being looted. Me, "what did another black man just get shot by police?"
Reporter, " Nope, Blizzard just released their latest game Diablo II Resurrected and fans are pissed."

Also offensive, sorry you can delete this

Level 20
Diablo immortals is just a phone game that their fan base could care less about.
A certain subset of Diablo fans will of course ignore Immortal, but there's going to be a huge amount of people who will at least try it. Why? Because as fun as it is to meme about "don't you guys have phones?" quote from Wyatt Cheng, he was right - people have phones and Immortal is free to play, so why not try it? Even if just to see if it's as bad as Reforged or another shitty mobile game.

Also, while on the topic - looking around the web, I got the impression that now that we know D2:R and D4 are coming out, the level of negativity towards Immortal in the Diablo community has drastically decreased. Most people, especially ones that actually played it, seem to be okay with it.

Diablo 3 had some major flaws. Like what was the last good game they released?
While I agree that "Blizzard Quality" has "taken its place among the legends of the past", it doesn't mean that Resurrected won't be good. Especially given that it's a remaster of a game that had said quality and is made by a studio with a solid track record in making remasters. And the financial reason I posted above. And the fact that it already had some testing and people seem to have enjoyed it.

Now, I'm not saying it's defintely going to be great - just that I don't think it's fair to dismiss the possibility.

I mean if you're paying 30$ for a game you should be paying for more than just HD textures. But I guess Reforged you were paying for HD textures and for the removal of other features.
Now, this is fair. If you don't feel like Resurrected offers enough for its asking price, that's okay. It's your right as a consumer to decide whether something is worth your money or not, but then - you shouldn't project your personal perception of a product's value onto others, i.e. you might think that HD textures are not enough, but someone else can feel that it is. Both opinions are absolutely valid.

I think they just don't like the negativity. I was being controversial-ish to see how people would reply.
I mean... I find your post hilarious, but I can see why they could consider it to be trolling :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.