• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzcon 2011 News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14

Blizzcon 2011 News Thread

This thread is my continually updated news thread for Blizzcon 2011. Here I will add all information I gather at Blizzcon 2011.

STARCRAFT II

MODDING

ART TOOLS WILL BE RELEASED WITH HEART OF THE SWARM

Blizzard will be releasing all of their art tools with the launch of Heart of the Swarm. This includes a 3ds Max model exporter, as well as numerous sample files and tutorials.

ARCADE
The arcade is the name of the previously named Map Marketplace. Its name was changed as to not project the image that all custom games will cost money.

-Players will NOT be able to sell their maps upon the release of Heart of the Swarm, but that feature WILL be implemented in future patches.
-The Arcade main page included a featured maps list (as determined by Blizzard), a Top 10 list of the most popular games, a list of high rated games, a list of games that are highly rated but have not been significantly played, and a list of recently published maps that have received favorable reviews.
-There is will be a 5 star rating system for custom maps.
-There will be a match-making system for certain custom maps.
-There will be a queing system for custom maps.
-While you are in the map-lobby, you can view a map overview, rules of the map, how to play, and reviews of the maps (using the 5 star rating system on top of the map reviews).

GALAXY EDITOR

-There will be a Trigger Debugger for the Galaxy editor, which programmers will find useful for debugging large amounts of code.
-There will be a visual Cinematic Editor, allowing you to edit all cameras objects, lighting, fog, doodads and much much more. This also includes a timeline that can be used for viewing scenes.
-There will be a UI EDITOR, in which the entirety of the UI can be edited visually. This also includes a built in XML editor and viewer. All UI can be viewed in an "in game" mode, and the values can be seen for every module in the UI. UI can also be dragged in this view and the values will be changed to the new position.

NEW PROTOSS UPDATES

Early this morning I got straight in line to play the HoTS demo. I played an elongated game as protoss against Zerg, so that I could get every new detail.

REMOVED UNITS

Carrier
Mothership

NEW UNITS

Oracle - The oracle is a new casting air-ship (~3 Population) with versatile (and in my opinion, very cool) abilities. They are as follows:
Phase Shift - Phases out a unit for ~45 seconds, preventing it from being attacked, using abilities, researching, or building.

Pre-Ordain - Gives vision of a target building and what it is constructing/researching for 2 minutes. Gives vision of hatcheries, but does not say what Larva are evolving into.

Entomb - Area of Effect Spell. Encases minerals in a shell, making them unharvestable for ~1 minute. The shell has 80 health and can be destroyed on each mineral field.

Replicate - A unit whose SOLE ability is to copy and turn into any unit (except massive units), much in the style of a changeling. However, the copied unit has all upgrades and weapons of the copied unit, and thus can deal out equal damage. ~4 population

Tempest - The new capital ship unit that replaces the carrier. Has a slow (3) anti air attack that deals 22 damage in an Area of Effect. Also has a ~35 damage air-to-ground laser. 300/300 build cost

NEW ABILITIES

The nexus is the only unit that has gained new abilities on top of chrono boost. They are as follows:

Arc-Shield - Costs 25 energy. Gives any building on the map of your choice a temporary anti-light cannon. It deals 7 damage normally and 20 damage vs. light (which is as much damage as a Photon Cannon deals). Goodbye Zergling rush?

Mass-Recall - Recalls all units in an area to the Nexus. Takes 5 seconds to warp in. 75 Energy

That is all new information on Protoss at the time. I will update this post again at approximantly 4 PM PST.

NEW ZERG UPDATES

Removed Units:
Overseer

New Units:
Swarm Host: A siege unit for the Swarm, the Swarm Hosts burrows to attack, simillarily to the Lurker, and launches infinite amounts of units, named Locusts, at an enemy fortified position. However, in contrast to the Reaver in Starcraft 1, the Locusts have no cost.

Viper: A new air casting unit to replace the overseer. It has versatile abilities, suitable to the swarm, that are as followed:

Blinding Cloud: Reduces the range of all attacks to melee range, and prevents the use of energy-based abilities.

Abduct: Pulls a unit to the position of the Viper (those poor collossi getting swarmed by zerglings)

Ocular Parasite: Plants a parasite that makes a target unit a detector.

CHANGES:
-Ultralisks now have a burrow-charge ability and deal MOAR splash damage.

-Hydralisks now have a speed upgrade.

-Corruptors have the Siphon ability, allowing them to gain resources from enemy buildings.

-Banelings can now moved while burrowed.

NEW TERRAN UPDATES

NEW UNITS:

Battle Hellion - A transformation from the hellion, allowing them to dish out their same killer DPS, but with Heavy Armor, in exchange for their speed.

Warhound - An anti-air and long-range anti-mech unit with decent speed. Excellent for countering heavy Mutalisk play or Terran Mech play.

Shredder - Deploys an anti-unit radiation field, that deals HIGH DPS. A Stack of two cannot be bypassed by Speedlings. Cannot be used when friendly units are nearby. Must be deployed to work.

CHANGES

Thor - Thors can no longer be build in mass. Only one Thor can be built, but is an uber unit with high health, armor and damage.

Reapers - Reapers now regenerate out of battle.

Battlecruisers - Now have an ability that increases their speed greatly for a time, allowing them to catch their prey.

HoTS Lore

Sarah Kerrigan is now not only attempting to reunite the swarm, but is also on a slash and burn campaign for revenge, letting no one, not even James Eugene Raynor, get in her way of taking down Arcturus Mengsk. Yet, Mr. Metzen states that although Kerrigan is the queen piece in the grand cosmic chess-board, she is only slightly aware of that fact. Zeratul is the only one who has unlocked the answers. Slowly, the former Queen of Blades will discover her true purpose. Whether she chooses to heed it, or simply ignore it on her path of revenge, is her choice.

-Narud has been "confirmed" as Duran

-Hybrids will play a very large part in HoTS, and there will be significantly more types than before.

-Choices you decided to make in Wings of Liberty will carry over into Heart of the Swarm.

-The UED is pre-occupied with problems in its own sector, and wont be visiting the Korprulu sector anytime soon.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Mists of Pandaria CONFIRMED

This expansion is designed to be the calm before the storm before we go up against the final foe in the "last" WoW expansion. It is here the horde and the alliance will learn about themselves... before all out war.

-New Race Pandarens - Both Alliance and Horde (fun fact: Pandarens were originally the Alliance race in Burning Crusade, but were switched out for the more suitable Draenai)

-New Class Monk

-Level Cap Raised to 90

-New Talent System

-New PvE events

-New Pet Battle System

DIABLO III

Angiris Council

The Angiris Council is a council consisting of Five Archangels that deal with all administrative tasks in the High Heavens. they all have their own spheres of influence. The angels and their spheres are as followed:

Tyrael, the Angel of Justice: An Angel that was originally strong-willed and rigid, Tyrael slowly began to be the first Angel to believe in mortals hopes, and thus began to take action for their cause. Described as the "outlawish" attitude character.

Auriel, the Angel of Hope: A female-like character. Is upbeat, but is also serious, wise, and of course, hopeful. She wields a "Cord of Hope" that bestows blessings. She is holds the council together.

Malthael, the Angel of Wisdom: A softspoken type character who is usually always right, that irritates some members of the group. When the worldstone is moved into a different dimension (Sanctuary) he begins to darken and become a grim character.

Imperius, the Angel of Valor: The commander of heavens forces, this goliath of an Angel wears golden armor into battle. He has slain billions upon billions of demons. He is loud and strong in his opinions, slightly "bullying/intimidating" people into his decisions. His valor is dangerously close to becoming pride. Imperius and Tyrael's opinions and characters usually clash and lead to confrontation.

Itherael, the Ange of Fate: Forsees all possible strands of the future. He rarely speaks or voices an opinion, but is usually beseeched by the rest of the council for advice on which path to take. However, as mortals were not meant to exist, Itherael cannot see them.

Lords of Hell

At the conclusion of the most recent Diablo games, 5 of 7 of the original Lords of Hell were destroyed. The two that remain are taking full-advantage of the now shattered world-stone. These two are:

Belial, the Lord of Lies: Doesn't to get his own hands dirty. Thus, he uses his minions, the Dark Cultists and the Snakemen, (who can disguise themselves, usually as humans) to do his bidding. He prefers to corrupt people and civilizations from within.

Azmodan, the Lord of Sin: The new "King of Hell", Azmodan prefers raw-power, and is not afraid to flaunt it. He is also calculative, always two steps in head of the player. The Lord of Sins has, at his command, 7 powerful lieutenants, each representing the 7 Sins. The only revealed one is Sadea, Maiden of Lust who prefers the same psychological torment that Belial loves.[/u]

LORE
With the Worldstone now shattered, the Lords of Hell are taking full advantage of the weaknesses in the plane. Azmodan, the new King of Hell, is leading an all-out invasion from hell into the World of Sanctuary, an invasion long predicted by Deckard Cain. Caldeum, the trading center of the world, has lost their great Emperor under unknown circumstances. As the son of the emperor, only a boy, assumes the throne, the government is thrown into disarray. The Iron Wolves come to protect and advise the Emperor, but they are cast out into the desert, as are a great number of the lower caste, for a new, unknown Imperial Guard, dressed in purple clothing. As the refuge crisis worsens, food and water supplies fail as the desert becomes infested with hellish creatures. Thousands die by the day.
Yet with the discovery of this new “Black Soulstone” hope arises for the forces of good. This soulstone could potentially be used by the player to imprison Azmodan eternally. Yet, the Lord of Sin is aware of this, and makes plans to use this Soulstone to become the Ultimate Evil, with power far greater than that of the Prime-Evils. But with an object so powerful, the possibility of a third-party, unaligned with either side, arises.

This is the time for the race of mortals to heed their ancient past. With the Worlstone that once restrained their bloodline, mortals begin to realize the power locked within their veins. The hybrid power of Angels and Demons, one that exceeds the gods. Thus, the Great Task of expelling the chaos of total war within Sanctuary, begins.

~Asomath

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
AMAGAD! Highlight, highlight!
My first impressions:
  • I'm impressed to see the Nexus with so many new abilities!
  • I think they might reconsider Phase Shift. The effects seem kind of obsolete with the Phoenix's Graviton Beam, which can also be targeted on friendly units.
  • Aren't the Protoss becoming a little hard to explain even from a scientific fiction point of view? I mean, warping an anti-light cannon to a building, sure, closing minerals, maybe, we've seen the Tal'darim doing something similar, but phasing units and straight-out copying enemy attributes?

Asomath, thanks so much! Any videos or images you can share?

uAvmT.jpg

u0T5R.jpg

qZR1c.jpg

Also! :D
WoW - Diablo - Starcraft - Other

WoW: Mists of Pandaria (new expansion) -> New Race Pandaren (Alliance+Horde) + New class Monk + New continent Pandaria + Level Cap 90 + PVE Scenarios + Challenge Mode 'Dungeons' + Pet Battle System + New Talent System - Trailer - Mists of Pandaria website
New Diablo 3 cinematic - Trailer
Diablo Retrospective - Video
Collectors Edition
Diablo 3 free for WoW subscribers +
Beta Access to the next WoW expansion (WoW Annual Pass)
New Starcraft 2 units
Blizzard Dota new footage (Heroes like Zerathul, Queen of Blades, Thrall, ...) - Trailer
Starcraft 2 campaign footage - Trailer
Blizzard 2011 Year in Review - Video

Also free livestreaming of the RTS/WoW Stages

Also some random images:
Mantid.jpg

Mogu.jpg

Sha.jpg

IngameStartingZone.jpg

StartingZoneConceptArt.jpg

Pandaria.jpg

PandarenRaces.jpg

PandarenRacials.jpg

Last edited:
Level 22
Yeah, killer trailer! That's why HotS over D3 since I have to choose one. And I dont play it just for campaign you know. Thanks for the info.

Oh yes the sihouettes are now revealed! So carrier is removed, yes, Motehrship removed - I expected it really, 1 unit-whole-army i.e taking so much unless long game.

Level 9
I am wondering. If the people new to Warcraft and the only warcraft game they've probably played is WoW, would love pandarens.

I've been reading the comments on one of the threads, some seem to be hatin', saying the addition of the Panda race ruined the game for them.

Idiots.

Level 5
I am wondering. If the people new to Warcraft and the only warcraft game they've probably played is WoW, would love pandarens.

I've been reading the comments on one of the threads, some seem to be hatin', saying the addition of the Panda race ruined the game for them.

Idiots.

Why are you so right?!? :vw_wtf:

On MMO-Champion there are only whining kids, even on the Blizzcon forums two-third of the people are trolls...

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'd be as surprised as he is if I hadn't heard that there was this expansion and that there'll be at least one more. All these expansions begin to starve out WoW in my opinion, considering the genre.
I'm curious as to who is the villain this time.

HOTS Update

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (Click this link to be taken to the US battle.net site's post)
by Bashiok
Matt Morris and Brian Kindregan from the StarCraft II development team took the stage today along with Chris Metzen, senior vice president of story and franchise development, to unveil the latest developments in the upcoming expansion.

The panel kicked off with a brief overview of Wings of Liberty, discussing the story and where it left off: Raynor and Sarah reunited, with Mengsk crawling back to the shadows, his plan temporarily thwarted. We know Kerrigan is once again on the warpath in Heart of the Swarm, attempting to reassemble her brood, but "why?" is to remain a mystery until the game is released.

While many of the Heart of the Swarm campaign mechanics were originally announced back in May, much of the panel today focused on where the game has progressed since those details were unveiled. The time since the initial announcement has been spent crafting new and unique mission mechanics with even more impressive, interactive, and mind-boggling features in the planned 20+ missions.

As you control Kerrigan and rebuild her brood, it will be up to you to decide how to evolve your fighting force. While standard army mutations (upgrades like those in Wings of Liberty) will unlock at key points throughout the game, you’ll also be presented with evolution choices that will take you to remote locations to obtain the genetic code needed to advance.

In one example, the zergling is given a choice to evolve one of two ways. In your first choice, you go to attack indigenous leaping creatures and harvest their DNA. By integrating the DNA of the indigenous leaping creature, you can modify your zerglings to grow wings and leap as well. For your second choice, you're contacted by a queen on a remote world who wishes to join your brood. She’s evolved her zerglings to hatch rapidly and spawn three zerglings per cocoon, and believes her strain would be of use to you.

Each of these approximately 14 skirmishes will be a short mission that will only take a few minutes to complete, and will present both evolution choices through gameplay, allowing you to test their strengths and ultimately help you pick which genetic code you wish to splice into your own brood.

While you'll be tending to key strategic missions with Kerrigan, the swarm will be rampaging across the sector, and they'll need your guidance. Throughout the campaign your brood mothers will contact you for advice on tactical decisions as they carry out your orders on distant planets. These decisions will also determine how you’ll achieve success, providing you with bonuses to your arsenal and abilities. You’ll also have choices at key points to engage in the ‘Destruction of Worlds’ mechanic, adding a planet’s resources to your own as your swarm pours over its surface.

How will you consume the galaxy?

I'd be as surprised as he is if I hadn't heard that there was this expansion and that there'll be at least one more. All these expansions begin to starve out WoW in my opinion, considering the genre.

Yeah, it is spectulated that they are building up until level 100 before the expansions cease to come.

As for the villain, yes I am very curious as to what will be the main villain who is considered more powerful than deathwing and arthas, lol. It will probably be some made-up spirit.

At least they are adding new battlegrounds, and I'm glad that they added Azshara's crater. (it will be interesting to see a dota bg)

------

Anyway, so is Blizzard DotA a starcraft 2 map? It is, right?

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'm watching the event live and Blizzard just stated that data suggests Zerg is favored on Europe and one of the tournaments and Terran was favored on Korea and GSL, and Protoss weakness stood out in IGN. Blizzard has payed attention to the users complaining how protoss is generally weak.
They're also saying 1:1:1 is too strong and that EMP may actually be too strong! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT ='D I'm going to drop a tear out of happiness.
They've additionally admitted that Zerg may have problems because they need to expand fast and that that causes them to take a huge risk.

The Thor was reconsidered, due to its problematic pathing nature (size, getting stuck in buildings and so), it is «being moved one level up» (citation) for the «uber unit feeling». The Hellion-to-BattleHellion transformation was so great! Warhound and Shredder were also presented.
The Zerg were given a new Ultralisk ability: the ability to «leap». They don't really jump, they burrow very quickly and then come up right under the annoying marines ;)

Last edited:
Level 22
Thats what im trying to say, just cause lots of people choose Terran doesnt mean it is OP. not after the last patch nerfs.. Terran is popular among Koreans. I've chosen that race cause I decided to continue the Human line War2-War3 Human-SC2 Terran, in BW I was toss but I played just LAN melee with other nubs was in the 90s. Im sure others also had such reason to choose not because 'Terran is OP', especially no one could say before the game was released.

Hots is just awesome, what the trailer showed made me quite curious about the campaign, so I do stop on buying HotS.

I love integration of characters from more than one game or world, I've always been fan of that! And I've always mixed frm various worlds when doing something. The idea of bringing Diablo III Witch Doctor in SC2 like in Blizz Dota is a pleasant surprise, having Arthas, Sylvannas too.

This is also bye for vjeux's Storm of the imperial sanctum which was nice SC2 Dota but it still had lots of unbalanced abilities and heros, funny NO LEAGUE Dotaers who abused OP characters, so yeah I played it frm time to time but for me that aint skill.

For WoW: I never liked it but I can say it's a nice idea Pandaria. But soon they will run ouf of places to add, then what? I really dont like these cartoony graphics anymore, they had no choice since these are all expansions. WoW is getting behind in graphics development.

Diablo III on the other hand, shows also improvememnts in cinematic graphics and all. The little I played of a friend's Beta didn't grab me that much, nor did the Cinematic. Of course, could be as epic as Diablo 2, I dont know, but from what I see so far, nothing that can't be missed. I would still play it, but from others who have it apparently, I will likely not buy it.

Level 9

According to the webpages, The Destroyer (that's Deathwing) is still the villain. A pandaren player must choose between what faction, Alliance or Horde, will he choose to destroy the Destroyer and return balance to the delicate flow of life, then go back to pandaria and be neutral again.

So have fun looking at two pandas duking it out.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I do not like them removing carriers from melee... Protoss just will not be protoss without the "carrier has arrived" sound. Especially since carriers were one of the few units still in the game from SC1. Im sure they are still perfectly viable as a parallel with the new unit as I am guessing that will also require fleet beacon.

I wonder if they are removing any zerg and terran units. I am guessing that the broodlord and the hydralisk are probably being removed. It would be redundant to have a short range land unit to spawn expendable minions when you have a ultra long range air unit which is less able to be focused by everything in the area. The viper seems potentially cool and will probably mess up any terran tanking stratergies (again a good replacment for brood lord which fufilled that roll). I am guessing the thor is being removed completly seeing how the new factory unit fufills simlar rolls (AoE AA, anti armored). I would also not be suprized to find the maurder being nerfed if not removed seeing how the hellion is now tougher and the new walker is anti armored.

Level 14
Post Updated.

They stated that the Carrier was removed "at least for now... until we can fix them" which means that they may make an appearance before the release of HoTS. Tempest requires a fleet beacon.

The overseer has been removed. Hydralisk is confirmed to be still in the game. Thor is not being removed, but simply up-tiered to only one unit.

~Asomath

Level 22
Duh, overseer was useless, other than detector, everyone found it a useless flying piece of meat ball. Hydralisk is symbolic for SC, you see it kind of everywhere, on Korean commercials, everywhere someone puts 'Zerg'. Carrier was not so and the fact is, no one uses it. Sure some low leaguers could make 20 towers a base limit carriers, not a single other unit... but I dont see anyone doing such retarded shit on higher leagues, not that leagues even Master in 3v3 or 4v4 mean anything..

Level 4
Awesome, the new Diablo cinematic looks amazing. There's just one problem - I'm f*cking tired of whiny douches saying that "Diablo 3 is not dark" "it's too cartoony" and stupid sh*t like that. Why, because one part of the game happens OUTSIDE of a dungeon?! OH NOEZ! Do people seriously want a 2011 Action-RPG to be set in 50 copy/paste dungeons where you feel like a rat finding a way out of a maze, or go into open lively landscapes and paint them all with demon blood you ownarized on your way? It certainly has less pentagrams and satanic symbols, but was that what made Diablo games creepy and dark? No. I am getting a feeling that today it's cool to not like new stuff and say that it ruins the predecessor. -__-

Now, Mists of Pandaria. Sorry, but I just couldn't help but laugh at that trailer. Here's how I think a certain talk Blizzard had one day went:
-"Okay, we killed off some of the most beloved characters of the franchise, we have some giant dragons, crazy Orcs, what else do we need?"
-"Maybe... giant robots, sir?"
-"No, no, we're saving that for the 53rd expansion, World of Gundamcraft."
*writer comes in*
-"Look sir, I found my niece's Animal Planet DVD!"
-"What's this on the cover? A Panda?! Perfect! Write it down!"
I mean, talk about scraping tha bottom of the barrel... The Pandaren never had too much part in Warcraft's storyline, let alone being a major lore race. Where will the continent be, anyway? Are they just gonna mash it in near Maelstorm and have some lameass excuse why nobody has ever seen it before? Did the Pandaren develop a continent camo system? Wow, those gotta be the smartest vertebrae lifeforms on Azeroth, and considering that their architecture looks like they just ripped off some China village, they probably have an inter-dimensional transporter that goes to Earth. Makes sense, as does a gentlemanly velociraptor jumping off a giant yellow potato worm.
Oh, and don't get me started on the "Pet Battle System". Now they are just making fun of once great World of Warcraft.

Level 14
Another year, another Expansion... for WoW :D

SC2 Multiplayer seems to be awesome, the Story though... /cough crap /cough.

D3, well that's one awesome cinnematic, pleased to see that Blizz cinnematic department is still good. The bad guy does remind me of Mannoroth. Also their named... the (Kh)Azmodan!? :pir: but the story seems rather cool. Also it has been hinted that the new Diablo is in a female body so maybe that girl who is related to Decard Cain will become the new body for Diablo :pir:.

I actually like the panda idea D: And the pet battle system, that one is just hilarious <3
The pandas are really cute and well maybe they're not really that much related to the warcraft lore, but you have to look at them gameplay-wise, pandas are chinese and thus they can give them a lot of cool abilities and bring in new mechanics, like jumping kicks, etc. making it more fast-paced.

Level 22
^ Cliches are universal, there is no game stealing within such phrases, yes that's bad to use too much of them. I find the SC2 campagin to be promosing, while Diablo3's story, I didn't understand what's going on and the demon looked like Mannorath (or any Pit Lord). Maybe because I value the intrigues within the story more than some super duper demon creatures from hell, not that D3 cinematic wasnt good, just unclear. The Sorceress was way hot.

Last edited:
Level 49
^ Cliches are universal, there is no game stealing within such phrases, yes that's bad to use too much of them. I find the SC2 campagin to be promosing, while Diablo3's story, I didn't understand what's going on and the demon looked like Mannorath (or any Pit Lord, was this suposed to be Diablo? Yes Im veteran in Diablo 1 & 2 I know how he looks). Maybe because I value the intrigues within the story more than some super duper demon creatures from hell, not that D3 cinematic wasnt good, just unclear. The Sorceress was way hot.

She's Leah, Deckard Cain's niece. She wanted to understand the scribbles in Deckard Cain's book, when she got a vision of Azomdan, Lord of Sin, towering above her and warning her that he and his army from Hell will kick everyone's ass and steal the Black Soulstone, whatever that may be.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
She's Leah, Deckard Cain's niece. She wanted to understand the scribbles in Deckard Cain's book, when she got a vision of Azomdan, Lord of Sin, towering above her and warning her that he and his army from Hell will kick everyone's ass and steal the Black Soulstone, whatever that may be.
That vision better be true as otherwise Chuck Nor... I mean the monk would not even need to get warmed up. Our heroes of unbeliveable awesomeness need huge armies of generic demons otherwise they will be underchallenged.

Level 14
^ Cliches are universal, there is no game stealing within such phrases, yes that's bad to use too much of them. I find the SC2 campagin to be promosing, while Diablo3's story, I didn't understand what's going on and the demon looked like Mannorath (or any Pit Lord). Maybe because I value the intrigues within the story more than some super duper demon creatures from hell, not that D3 cinematic wasnt good, just unclear. The Sorceress was way hot.

Afaik, there are 3 factions basically, Good (Angels), Evil (Demons) and Humans of Sanctuary.

Now Evil faction is lead by the Prime Evil.

The 3 Prime Evils were Diablo, Mephistol and Bail, and since in D2 we killed them, I think a Azmodan want to rise to power as the Prime Evil now. However they need the Black Soulstone it seems (which I think it's the soulstone of Diablo, although that one got destroyed but hey... the game is called Diablo3).

@DSG... well isn't that Diablo style gameplay? Fighting through masses of enemies who are weaklings.

Level 14
Heres the thing. Its pretty obvious that the diablo-like creature we see as a part of all D3 art is a FEMALE. So it may be the girl in the cinematic gets stuck with the Black Soulstone, turning herself into a "prime-evil" or it could be some other girl. Its pretty much up to whatever conclusions you want to make.The Diablo 3 Lore is at 10 AM and the D3 Q&A is at 11:30 AM PST, so answers will hopefully come up.

~Asomath

Rui

Rui

Level 41
That's one aspect I disliked when I saw a few game clips; one guy pawning an immense number of foes, and the game revolving around that. Guess I wouldn't like the game anyway.

As for the Carrier, yeah, like I wrote in another thread, they were never used in solo (higher leagues at least), and in team games they are completely overpowered because one of the players can mass them in secret while the others protect/feed him until it's too late to do anything about it. It was a unit that did nothing but disrupt team games, which are already a pain to balance.
I am surprised to see none of the Terran units were cut though; the reaper remains and it is going to regenerate while out of battle. The Thor has turned to the homologue of the Mothership but has not been removed. On the other hand, Protoss arsenal was shortened, I guess it's because of the Replicant.

Level 14
As for the Carrier, yeah, like I wrote in another thread, they were never used in solo (higher leagues at least), and in team games they are completely overpowered because one of the players can mass them in secret while the others protect/feed him until it's too late to do anything about it.

Yeah but the Tempest didnt seem very practical in play either. Blizzard basically made it sound as if they were designed as the counter to Mutalisks. Yet, the Tempest is way to slow and the mutas could easily escape and harass again. I just dont see the use for the Tempest at this time.

~Asomath

Level 22
Afaik, there are 3 factions basically, Good (Angels), Evil (Demons) and Humans of Sanctuary.

Now Evil faction is lead by the Prime Evil.

The 3 Prime Evils were Diablo, Mephistol and Bail, and since in D2 we killed them, I think a Azmodan want to rise to power as the Prime Evil now. However they need the Black Soulstone it seems (which I think it's the soulstone of Diablo, although that one got destroyed but hey... the game is called Diablo3).

Now I remember, thanks

Level 14
It's been confirmed that there is no villain and the expansion will focus on the war between the Horde and the Alliance.

If that's true.... Hands down to Blizzard.

At the end of the day they really managed to change a normal users state of spirit while awaiting for the next expansion.

I mean with TBC it was "Oh, cool, Outland <3 Illidan! Bring it on!".

Then with WotLK it was "Oh, cool... Arthas... yeah.. Northrend... Hurra... 10 more levels..."

But with Catalysm it was more like "Meh, Deathwing, don't know him that good but... at least the world gets remade, that would be a cool thing to make". I mean Cataclysm wasn't felt just like a remake of the previous expansion (like WotLK felt with TBC).

And now Mists of Pandaria... there is no major evil guy, and it's just about Alliance vs Horde... the core of Warcraft franchise.

Very good move by Metzen, keeping everything entertaining and interesting and new. I mean, 2-3 years back all of us were saying that WoW EP's will just add new continent, 10 more levels, more talents and a new bad guy to reach at the end. But with the last two expansions Blizzard just decided to go into another direction.

Furthermore I think they left out the idea of ever really making an expansion out of the Emerald Nightmare.

Level 14
I have added all the new updates regarding SCII modding and art tools to the top of the post, considering the purpose of this site. Im adding the Diablo III information now.

Also, whats the code for adding a table of contents? There is a lot of information in this post!

~Asomath

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Oh crap, I hope my edits haven't screwed up your edits.
You can add a table of contents with [box] and/or [list] and [list=1].

P.S. -- Actually, yours screwed mine ._.
Anyway, people, highlights to this! Being a place of mainly artists, perhaps the Hive has a chance of drawing some SC2 attention now.
STARCRAFT II

MODDING

ART TOOLS WILL BE RELEASED WITH HEART OF THE SWARM

Blizzard will be releasing all of their art tools with the launch of Heart of the Swarm. This includes a 3ds Max model exporter, as well as numerous sample files and tutorials.

ARCADE
The arcade is the name of the previously named Map Marketplace. Its name was changed as to not project the image that all custom games will cost money.

-Players will NOT be able to sell their maps upon the release of Heart of the Swarm, but that feature WILL be implemented in future patches.
-The Arcade main page included a featured maps list (as determined by Blizzard), a Top 10 list of the most popular games, a list of high rated games, a list of games that are highly rated but have not been significantly played, and a list of recently published maps that have received favorable reviews.
-There is will be a 5 star rating system for custom maps.
-There will be a match-making system for certain custom maps.
-There will be a queing system for custom maps.
-While you are in the map-lobby, you can view a map overview, rules of the map, how to play, and reviews of the maps (using the 5 star rating system on top of the map reviews).

GALAXY EDITOR

-There will be a Trigger Debugger for the Galaxy editor, which programmers will find useful for debugging large amounts of code.
-There will be a visual Cinematic Editor, allowing you to edit all cameras objects, lighting, fog, doodads and much much more. This also includes a timeline that can be used for viewing scenes.
-There will be a UI EDITOR, in which the entirety of the UI can be edited visually. This also includes a built in XML editor and viewer. All UI can be viewed in an "in game" mode, and the values can be seen for every module in the UI. UI can also be dragged in this view and the values will be changed to the new position.

Level 26
Last edited:
Level 14
AH! Im sorry... I just added the D3 information. I'll add the new zones later... for now im gonna head back to Blizzcon and watch the Blizzcon Invitational Finals. Ill catch ya'll later... feel free to edit to your content.

~Asomath

Level 21
I'm looking forward to Mists of Pandaria, Heart of the Swarm for story wise and the new content and then finally probably try out DOTA for once on Starcraft II, and does anyone know on the release date for these are at all or know when they might release?
Well anyway I'm excited to see finally Pandaria honestly and having to play a Pandaren to play as well, but still I'm hoping for Ogres, Ethereals for the Horde and then Furbolgs and some other race for the Alliance.
With this I'm choosing the Horde regardless, because I enjoyed Frozen Throne and liked on how Chen joined Rexxar save the Horde from Jaina's douchbag father.
Before I go on about anything more I would like to say what start pet, mount, and talent trees to you think the Pandarens work best at?

Level 25
I just hope that the actual expansion will be as dark as in the trailer, it would be awesome to have a starcraft game with that actual feeling that this is evil deadly wars going on, not "woopsie-daysy, we're going to look for an artifact, lalalala, oh look hybrids."

Status
Not open for further replies.