• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blizzard seeking employee to work on classic games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
One can only hope they will touch Warcraft III somehow.

Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

So if you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players: we would love to hear from you.

RESPONSIBILITIES
  • Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
  • Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
  • Own implementation and curation of features new and old.
  • Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
  • Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc.

REQUIREMENTS
  • Expert knowledge of C / C++
  • A minimum of 5 years’ development experience
  • Experience debugging unfamiliar code
  • Passion for games
  • Excite us

PLUSES
  • Experience debugging Win32 or OS X game software
  • Experience using Visual Studio or Xcode
  • Experience with x86 assembly

Apply here: SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER, CLASSIC GAMES

So, the age of endless rehashes and remastered versions has finally arrived at games that are worth remastering.

Digging the bullet points on "responsibilities", especially the diagnosing and fixing of crashes and overflows. Seems like they want one that is able to fix all the technical bugs in these games...
Maybe we will get the long overdue 1.27 soon...

Btw, any chances that one of our programming-savvy hive community members will apply for this position (do we even have users from california?)?

What could be a better qualification for this position than first-hand thorough knowledge of all the bugs that exist in WC3? Heck, there are even people that reverse-engineer the game DLL currently...

Level 12
The 1.27 is coming!!!

I have a strong unresonable urge to apply though living on another continent and not having enough C knowledge/experience.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Would actually think of applying if it was not a faceless cooperation in America.
•A minimum of 5 years’ development experience
As if they would get anyone passionate with that requirement... They are all busy doing other things. They just want a code monkey who can hack around until stuff vaguely works.

In case people get their hopes up, this is actually to address the following problems.
  • No CASC support.
  • No modern OSX support.
  • Bugged D3D support on Windows 10.
I doubt it will fix any of the underlying issues with WC3.

With Diablo II it will address the following...
  • No CASC support.
  • No OSX support (unsure).
  • Terrible D3D and D2D performance.
  • Some small bugs which were reported 10 years ago.

Level 21
In case people get their hopes up, this is actually to address the following problems.
No CASC support.
No modern OSX support.
Bugged D3D support on Windows 10.
Welll,I still appreciate these stuff.I do have Windows 10 after all

Pub

Pub

Level 2
I shit my pants reading this, but I am cautious with Blizzard's recent track record. Hype is hype and I've seen many friends hype about a new game/sequel only to not hear about it again a week later.

Level 21
I shit my pants reading this, but I am cautious with Blizzard's recent track record. Hype is hype and I've seen many friends hype about a new game/sequel only to not hear about it again a week later.
Yeah,like P.T

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Well I understand that Blizzard is Blizzard and they want quality - but does it really matter if its 1 year or 5 years of experience if you can get the job done + you have passion for wc3.

I'd really like if someone from Hive gets the job. That by itself means quality of warcraft updates.

Ok, so idk if this is the case worldwide, but sometimes the 'experience required' is often used as a filter for unmotivated people. If you look at the experience needed and you technically don't have it, but still decide to apply, employers tend to see this as a sign that you want the job more than others and are prepared to work harder. It also cuts down on the number of applications sent in :p

You could say it increases their chances of getting quality employees, even though those do not match the prerequisite experience needed. Then again, it's Blizzard, so probably not a 'bluff'.

Level 11
As with all other types of work places, team leaders and managers are bottlenecks for the workers and the quality output. So they are probably not joking about the demands on team leader positions.

Blizzard knows that touching classic games is a sensitive area and if they mess up at the first step in the process it will all trickle down the line and end up with bad results.

I think its nice that they are giving the game some new life. Augmented reality Warcraft when?

Well, apparently it's just for maintenance:

Rock Paper Shotgun said:
[Update: Oh! Blizzard told GameSpot it’s simply to maintain them. Dreams are always so short-lived. Hey, maybe do consider revamping them though! That would be lovely. Official support for modern resolutions in Diablo II would be a grand start.]

Doesn't rule out some nifty patches :D

Full post here

Level 2
Why would it be worse? If he gets paid, this person will most likely do their best to fix any problems and/or new features/updates that is requested,
seeing as this person should have at least 5 years of experience, none with that amount of experience would throw their job away just because "i am not passionate enough".
They get paid and they will do it just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.